JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

18. Enemies

• 6 months later...

1.    Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? To love our enemy is humanly difficult except by the grace of of God with the help of the Holy Spirit. If we fail this test, do we really have agape love? I believe the answer is NO.

2.    Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? It is a hyperbole, an exaggeration to make an emphasis What is the point Jesus is making here? To demostrate the agape love that tolerates, is generous,   and forgives wrong

3.    Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? It so because Jesus as the greatest example of divine love, pleaded to His Father while on the painful and humiliating cross for the forgiveness of those (his enemies)who tortured and hanged him on the cross to die. What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle? We as Jesus disciples should love likewise

4.    What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?

• 2 weeks later...

1. If we can't love our enemies the way Christ loved on the cross; then we are no better than unbelievers who love their own. Jesus prayed for the ones who hurt Him. God so loved the world that He allowed Jesus to die for us. This is what agape love is all about. Loving even when it hurts; even when you are not loved in return. Showing compassion like the Samaritan did for the Jew in  Jesus's parable. In order to do this we have to be in submission to the Lord and let the Spirit work in and through us.

2. I see it as a hyperbole or exaggeration to make a point. 

3. Because it is what Jesus did while He was here. He died on the cross for His friends and enemies.  He prayed for His enemies and in our walk we are to do the same. We are to die to ourselves so we can truly love others as He did. We are to give up our rights and show compassion and forgiveness like he did.

4. The difference is that in the negative aspect; it means we are not to do certain things that will harm our neighbors or make them mad. In the positive aspect it means treating others as we would like to be treated. 

1. Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love?

If we would just show love to those who show love back to us, we would do like everyone else. The big test as it were, is loving the unlovely, loving those who hurt and abuse us, those who despise us and despitefully use us. That is loving our enemies. (AGAPE love) Not everyone does that. But being kind to and loving those back who are kind to you  ...   that is the same love that everyone else is showing not AGAPE love. 

1. Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love?

If we would just show love to those who show love back to us, we would do like everyone else. The big test as it were, is loving the unlovely, loving those who hurt and abuse us, those who despise us and despitefully use us. That is loving our enemies. (AGAPE love) Not everyone does that. But being kind to and loving those back who are kind to you  ...   that is the same love that everyone else is showing not AGAPE love. 

2. Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? What is the point Jesus is making here?

Jesus is making a point here, viz., to go out of your way to avoid a nasty confrontation. Loving the ones who are against you in a radical way. 

3. Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle?

The Father too loved so much that He gave what He loved most, expecting nothing in return. John 3:16. 

We too need to love those who are against us, who oppose us, who treat us badly. We need to do good to them, bless them and pray for them, regardless of what they do to us. So our lifestyle should be one of serving, expecting nothing in return. Unconditionally. 

4. What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus? 

Jesus shows us how to exercise love .... how to live. (that is positive) Using the negative formular is showing how to stay out of trouble. 

Agape love is completely foreign to unbelievers who only know retaliation, to fight back. When they meet somebody, who repays every wrong with kindness, they are completely confused and don’t know how to handle it. But in believers, the evidence of agape love is confirmation of our salvation, since only a regenerated believer can love their enemies. It’s easy to love those that love us, but Jesus is talking about those that don’t love us and may even hate us. Or, how do we respond to those close to us and hurt/hate us. The test is to do good to those who hate you, to bless those who curse you, and to pray for those who are nasty to you. For a start, the way that we are able to love the unloving is not because we hope they will change. No, but because God, in Jesus Christ, through the Gospel, has already given us a gift of grace that we did not deserve. This is enough to fill our soul with joy and gratitude so that we are able to love the unloving. But agape love is a sacrificial love, an act of the will, that puts the welfare of others, in this case our enemies, above our own. As we read in 1 Cor 13:4-6 this agape love is patient, is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Clearly, this type of love is impossible in our own strength. It goes against our nature and we need the help of the Holy Spirit to set aside our own desires. Yes, if as true believers we fail the test, we still have this God given gift of His love in us, and as we grow spiritually we become more and more like our Lord Jesus Christ, and the more we will show this love to others.

2. Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? What is the point Jesus is making here?

I see this as hyperbole. Jesus’ words here are not to be taken literally in the light of the key verse in Luke 6:27, “Love your enemies”. Jesus is condemning actions that can result from the spirit of an unloving, unforgiving, and unrelenting nature - an attitude of hatred, hostility, bitterness, and the yearning for revenge. Once this is understood it becomes clear that “turning the other cheek” means to show in attitude, word, and deed that one is filled with the spirit of love. Jesus is not talking about pacifism, but that believers need not defend their personal rights or avenge their honour. The point He is making is that, on a personal level, we must not retaliate when we are humiliated, when we have been despised and scorned and rejected. We are not to get angry but are to turn the other cheek, and continue loving. Wars can still be waged and criminals must be stopped and prosecuted.

3. Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle?

Loving your enemy is a supernatural love, and only those who are born again can know it or display it. It is utterly impossible for anyone who does not have the indwelling Holy Spirit. Anyone can love their friends, but it takes divine love to love one's enemies. It means to do good to those who hate you, to bless those who curse you, to pray for those who are nasty to you, and ever and always to turn the other cheek. These are the actions we take toward our enemies that demonstrate that we belong to God.

Loving your enemy is clear evidence of your salvation – being a characteristic of a true believer. Luke 6:35 says that if you love your enemies, you will be sons of the Most High. Such behaviour is distinctly Christian, and it is the way true believers manifest themselves to the world as children of God. Of course, this is not the way we become children of the Most High; that can only happen through repentance and receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour (John 1:12).

Loving your enemy results in our lifestyle displaying Christlike qualities. There will be an unselfish concern for the welfare of others, and a desire to be helpful even at great personal sacrifice. As well as a sympathetic, affectionate, and compassionate interest in others, and a willingness to bear their burden. Also, a readiness to pardon offenses, to overlook personal wrongs against oneself, and to have no desire for retaliation. This of course, does not come naturally to us.

4. What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?

Rabbi Hillel’s states the Golden Rule in a negative manner while that of our Lord Jesus is positive statement. In Luke 6:31 Jesus says, “Do to others as you would have them do to you”. This clearly states that we are to treat others just as we want to be treated. It is stated in a positive way – do to others … The golden rule is to treat others with the same kindness and consideration as it would like to receive.

Rabbi Hillel says, “Don’t do to others as you don’t want done to you”. Which is stated in a negative way – don’t do to others … There’s a universal principle in life here.  Whatever you do to people, they will do back to you. So, if you don’t want to get back what you have done, don’t do it. This is human nature and how the world works. The world of sinners treats people the way they are treated, giving them back what they received: vengeance, retaliation, hostility, vindictiveness. Sinful man thinks only of himself and is concerned about his self-protection, and self-love, and he does not want to harm somebody because they might harm him back. This is clearly not a Golden Rule, but more about self-protection. Christian love is the positive rule that says, “You may be harming me, but I’m not going to give you back what you’re giving me.  I’m going to love you in the way that I would like you to love me.”  This is something unique.

• 1 month later...

Bailey Greetings 5/8/21  Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love?  What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle?

When I accepted Jesus as I my Lord and Savor I  was not prepared for the real life drama that came with it.  I had always been a Christian born and raised in the church, sang in the choir, lived in a very ruff community, gangs drugs you name it and it was there.  I faced my fair share of bullies, turn the other cheek, but you did not have that choice wearing a catholic school uniform. The nuns were always call my mother that I was fighting.  I heard the speeches of turning the other cheek.  Well the nuns did not live on my block.  I learned to pray for strength and patience. Lord help me to turn the other cheek (please)!  I felt in my christian walk, it became harder.  I asked how did Jesus do it?  People in these streets got issues. The bible verses were on my lips daily,  I was still haunted by my same community.  I became a peace officer, my dream, what did I do that for?  Lord Please give me strength,  I prayed going in and coming out,  Now I was faced with new Demons, Defendants that lived around me, that I faced in court. I prayed and I prayed.  I was shot at, threated just like being back in school.  When I arrived home I would sing, I want Jesus to walk me, hold my hand Lord bridle my tongue, because I would be quick with the  words and the Lord knew it.  Being saved is more than I asked for. I started to fast and pray.  I continued I regular church life, choir, praise and worship team, bowling and things got better.  My life got better. Instead the community came to me asking for help to get them out of trouble.  It wasn't easy  but I loved it.

Bailey 5/8/21

In looking at all the questions and the chapter Love Your  Enemies  our Lord suffered and died for us.  He lived a life of love and expects us to do like wise. Given the state of the world not to retaliate, turn the other cheek, find no fault we know is not easy.  Know one told us that being a disciple would easy. We are to live by Godly wisdom and to respond according to biblical principles.  We must try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord (Eph.5:10; James1:5). And the best way to know what pleases God is to read is word.. Whatever the circumstances, let the Lord search your heart and either affirm your innocence or convict you. With the violence don't let it effect your heart, give praise to God for peace.

Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle?

I think loving our enemy is like divine love because we were once Christ's enemies.  But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:8)  He loved us first, while we were still lost, and steeped in sin.  He died for us when we had done nothing to deserve it.  We must love others the same way Christ loved us.  We love them despite their sinful state and sinful actions toward us, that is how we demonstrate Christ's love to them.  This divine love is a result of our salvation.  This means we must adopt a lifestyle of putting others' first, living selflessly the way Jesus did.   

Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love?

A. I think the real test of agape love is watching out for your enemies’ welfare. If we can’t do that then we don’t have the love that Jesus wanted us to have.

Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? What is the point Jesus is making here?

A. “turning the other cheek” and giving my enemy my tunic is a hyperbole. Jesus is saying that we should not be fighting with that person.

Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle?

A. God has put us all on this earth and he loves us all. So if we can love our enemy we are showing God love. We are trying to do the most impossible thing and is trying to get along with everybody.

What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?

The negative seem like it always confrontational. The positive is always looking at the glass half full.

Through our disobedience, disloyalty, unfaithfulness, selfishness, and hardheartedness, we are the very definition of 'enemies of God'. But because God accepts us as his children, he keeps loving and forgiving us. This is what divine love is and what he wants us to display (Jesus has, through parables and direct commands, told us to forgive each other as our father in Heaven has forgiven us). When we love our enemies we parallel God's love for us. When we love our enemies we display divine love.

We are saved because of divine love. Because God forgives us again and again and again—all we have to do is ask to access his forgiveness—his forgiveness is already ours. And it is this 'standing forgiveness', accessed through our belief and repentance, that makes us eligible for salvation.

The implications of this on our lifestyle? We are not to seek retaliation and not to be pleased by the downfall of people who hurt us. We are to dispense mercy when we are in the position to do so, to grant forgiveness before we're asked, to bless, to pray, and to love—regardless of how deserving someone is (because we, ourselves, haven't received God's love and forgiveness because we deserved it). We should forgive the way we know we're being forgiven and love the way we know we're being loved.

What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?
The focus is different. The first sentence, as taught by Rabbi Hillel is borne out of prudence and a desire for peace of mind, comfort, and self-preservation. Jesus's sentence, however, changes the motivation. His sentence isn't for our well-being—it encourages us to seek or establish the well-being of others. Stating the rule as a negative changed the focus of the intent. The negative phrasing advances our own goals. The positive phrasing redirects our motivation and focuses on the advancement of others. And as always, it's the intent—what's in our heart—that Jesus is most pleased by.

• 1 month later...

1. The real test of Agape love for our  enemies is a must for every believer in my opinion. Although being able to love your enemies who seek to hurt, destroy, shame and afflict you is the most difficult thing to do by our human nature. But with the love and mercy of God through Jesus and with the help of the Holy Spirit it can be done. As true disciples of Jesus we are to follow His example, to love our enemies, to forgive them and to pray for them. We are to demonstrate the Agape love that Jesus demonstrated towards his enemies when He died on the cross for us.

2. It is a hyperbole that Jesus used to make a point. The point was to refuse retaliation, to avoid hitting back, that is, the natural human reaction.

• 1 month later...

1. What is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love? The true test is when we have to love the very people who have sworn to harm us no matter what because they hate us and hate the Lord and all that He stands for. The answer to that second question is a resounding no! Why because we are not obeying the Master and what His word clearly teaches.

2.    Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? What is the point Jesus is making here? When you consider who the Lord was speaking to back at the time of His ministry and how that group related to each other differently than we do now. We would get a better idea of how things worked together for that community so they could learn to better relate others without getting into an argument with someone. That we all need to get along with each other. 

3.    Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle? It is because we need to learn how to love like Jesus loves them and see them as Jesus does. It shows others that we are listening to the Lord and want to ignore them instead of love them. It will prove to them and the Lord you are listening to Him.

4.    What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus? It causes you to think that God wants to do only certain things and be a certain way.

• 1 year later...
  1. Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love?        Agape love requires making a deliberate conscious choice to act with love. That’s a really difficult choice to make for dealing with someone who hates you and actively seeks harm for you. So coming to the place in your Christian growth where you can willingly do this with all humility and submission to Jesus would definitely “pass the test” of loving as He loves. Refusal to grow in this discipline would be a fail.

I think the examples Jesus used for His disciples could have been somewhat literal for them but that His primary goal was to teach them the higher principles of refraining from revenge and choosing to show love to those who hate (especially those who despise and persecute because of a person’s faith). It helps to remember the saying that “hurting people hurt people”. I don’t believe Jesus was saying believers are never to address wrongs against us, but that we must address them with Christlike love and kindness and mercy rather than our natural anger and desire to retaliate. 

In verses 35-36, Jesus made the point clear. The LORD is kind to the ungrateful and the evil, as well as to those who love Him. Our conduct and attitude toward those who hate us should reflect His love and goodness and mercy. And He promises that will be greatly rewarded.

This agape love that Jesus taught is not natural to the degenerate human soul. It is based in a willing offering of unmerited, costly mercy to the undeserving. An exact picture of what God offers to us because of His divine love. There is no salvation from the penalty of sin without understanding and accepting this truth that He offers undeserved mercy to sinful humanity because of His love. And in order to rightly reflect the character of Christ being developed in every believer by His Spirit within, we’re called to extend this kind of supernatural love to our enemies as a living breathing example of what He has done for them. That requires death to self-protection and personal interests.  Not usually a very easy transition!

4. What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?

Don’t” is a negative command to simply restrain yourself from doing something, sort of a call to inaction. “Do” is an active command that requires you to consider the circumstances and make the choice to take constructive action, as Jesus would do, for the best interest of another person . It seems that Rabbi Hillel’s interpretation missed the heart of the deeper spiritual principle that Jesus was teaching.

• 1 month later...

1.Why is the real test of agape love being able to love your enemies? If we fail this test, do we really have agape love? Because that is what Jesus did on the cross and what God and Jesus expect us to do. By showing our enemeies love we show them how God feels about them and it n gives us a chance to bring them to Him when they see how we act. This shows that you are a true follower of Jesus. If we fail, it means that we do not fully understand what it is. That we need to surrender our rights and learn to love the way He did. This means we need to be all sold out for the gospel and the kingdom.

2.Do you see "turning the other cheek" and giving your enemy your tunic as literal, figurative, hyperbole, or what? What is the point Jesus is making here? I see it as hyperbole an exaggeration. We need to avoid confrontations and graciously give in. We need to remember how Jesus acted when he was unfairly treated. He did not lash out in anger or retaliate. We are to follow His example. That it does not show favorably for us if we lash back at people then we are no different than they are.

3.Why is loving your enemy so much like divine love? What is the implication of this for our salvation? For our lifestyle? Because it is what Jesus did on the cross. He forgave His enemies on the cross and even through his abuse and whipping. If we really love Jesus and appreciate all He went through for us then we will follow His example and love our enemies. We will choose to forgive others when they hurt us. We will not hold onto grudges or insults. We will show them love and mercy like we were shown and we can only do it through His Spirit within us.

4.What is the difference in effect of stating the Golden Rule as a negative ("Don't do to others, as ..."), as did Rabbi Hillel, rather than a positive ("Do to others, as ..."), as did Jesus?

In the negative it means don't do do others what you don't want them to do to you. In the positive it means treat others like you want them to treat you. This means even our enemies.