JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. State of Grace

Q5. (Romans 5:1-2)

What does it mean to be in a state of grace?

According to the text, what is the role of faith in this?

What is the opposite of "peace with God"?

Dear Krissi, by writing out the verses using the Amplified Version, it was less confusing.   Maybe it will help you also.

Therefore, since we have been justified

• [that is, acquitted of sin,
  • declared blameless before God]        by faith,   

[let us grasp the fact that],      we

• have peace with God
  • [and the joy of reconciliation with Him]

through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed).

Through Him we also have access by faith into this [remarkable state of] GRACE in which we [firmly and safely and securely] stand.

Let us rejoice in our hope and the confident assurance of [experiencing and enjoying] the glory of [our great] God [the manifestation of His excellence and power]. 

Romans 5:1&2

To be in the state of Grace  means that we remain in this condition (if I can call it that).   I am constantly in this place of grace, i.e. where I have received undeserved favour of being reconciled to God.  It remains that way, it does not get taken away. 

We have been justified by faith through our Lord Jesus Christ.  We also have access by faith into this state of grace.

Opposite of peace with God, is enmity with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (Romans 5:1-2) What does it mean to be in a state of grace? According to the text, what is the role of faith in this? What is the opposite of "peace with God"?

5.1 What does it mean to be in a state of grace?

To be in a state of grace means to live in the effect of justification enjoyed by faith. This "justification" is impossible by works because we are imperfect beings This means not to have to do anything but fully loved by God through his son Jesus Christ. Knowing that nor matter what I go through is temporary and my God is with me and will walk with through and by faith I will conquer.  State of grace is believing everything is possible with God

5.2 What is the role of faith in this?

According to Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of thing not seen".  Central feature of faith you can see is confidence or trust, and the object of faith is God and his promises.  Faith expresses itself in our everyday life.  James. 2:17, wrotes that, "Faith by itself apart from works is dead". The role of faith is to show that we have a relationship with God.  It is how we receive the benefits of what Jesus has done for us.

5..3 What is the opposite of "peace with God"? 

Col 3:15 says, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful".  The opposite of peace is not war, but fear.  if you find yourself robbed of God's peace, embattled internally or externally, ask what it is that you fear, or fears, that we might be healed and ruled by God's peace.

we have joy in the hopeof what is to come and the glory in the present affliction

• 3 weeks later...

To be in a state of grace is to be at peace with God. When Christ saved us we were and are to this day in a state of God’s grace or favour. We have gained access into this state of grace by faith in Jesus Christ. Our point of access is faith, and trust in Jesus Christ. The opposite of peace with God is to be in sin and fall short of the glory of God.

• 2 months later...

To me it means that we are surrounded by God's favor which is underserved or earned by work being in good relationship with God so that he count us righteous because of his favor, the role of faith is like the key to gain access to being at peace with God and the opposite of being at peace with God is staying in rebellion with God

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Romans 5:1-2) What does it mean to be in a state of grace? According to the text, what is the role of faith in this? What is the opposite of “peace with God”?

Opposite of peace with God is rebellion against Him. If we are in a state of grace, we have faith, we believe, in the Lord Jesus that He in fact died for our sins--in our place--taking what we deserved upon Himself. A state of grace means we understand the undeserved favor He bestows on us and we can boast in the Hope of the Glory of God.