JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q17. Redeemed

• 2 months later...

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery? What slavery have we been freed from? What was the price of our manumission or freedom? In what sense are we free? In what sense are we still slaves?

We have been redeemed from a life of slaves to sin. We were born with a sin nature and we did what sinners know best and that is to sin.

The price of out freedom was the costly price of the blood shed on a cross by the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ.

We are now free from slavery to sin and  now belong to God as part of His family as sons and daughters.

We are rescued from the "empty way of life" and now have love and purpose from God the Father.  Before we could do no good. Even if the will was there we could not perform.   Now through the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross we are in the kingdom of God's light and we seek to please Him in our lives by loving His Word and obeying It regardless of the cost to ourselves.

As always I have a lot of work to on myself as the Holy Spirit enables me to live the life that pleases my God and Father.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I love my family in Christ!

I know in my head that I've been redeemed from "slavery" which is the same as my sinful nature and sin itself, but often I don't feel very redeemed. In this sense, I'm still a slave to my own sinful character. Yes, I still sin. At times, I even want to sin. At times, I don't want to sin but sin anyway.

The price of being freed was paid by Christ, but my freedom is in process. I'm as free from sin as I am sanctified.

As I write, the war in the Ukraine is raging. In the midst of this war,  combatants from both sides are exchanging prisoners, a gentle and humane act in the midst of war's barbarism. In a sense, that's what Jesus has done -- He's exchanged Himself for all of us in a gigantic prisoner swap. We are rescued from our place of slavery ... returned home. He took our place.

The analogy isn't perfect, but it gives part of the truth.

• We have been redeemed from the slavery of sin at a costly price. Jesus had to take on ALL of our sins and receive the associated punishment we should have received.  We cannot imagine what it meant to become sin for us means.  He gave up his life for all of us with all our sins in the past and in times to come until he returns….that's a lot of sin. This effort was so large, that it entailed everything mankind could think of so that it would not have to be done again.  It was fully paid, once and for all.  Amazing!
  • We are justified in that sin does not automatically force us to sin.  We are free enough to be able to take each thought we have and decide whether we are going to keep it or discard it;  leave it die out or take action on it.  We are able to think about how we live now, and how we reflect the Trinity to others and to live as Paul did, aware of his salvation but also aware of the actions that are needed to gain further rewards at the Bema Seat when we return. We can decide where we are going and see opportunities where we can show others what this is all about.  We are still slaves because sin still exists and we can still fail (but we can repent and wipe the slate clean).  We are still also subject to death and sickness (sic.  All the curses).  We just need to remember this is training and not the final destination.             

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery? What slavery have we been freed from? What was the price of our manumission or freedom? In what sense are we free? In what sense are we still slaves? Jesus paid the price for our freedom from slavery. We have been freed from the slavery to sin.

The price was the blood of Jesus Christ God's Son. We are free from the penalty and power of sin and eventually we will be freed from its presence. We are now slaves to our Savior because He paid the ransom for us with His own blood. But even more than slaves we are His friends and part of the family of God. We should willingly live for Him because of what He has done for us. We should forsake all sin and live godly lives because of what He has done. Even though we might fail, we still can get up again with His help and give ourselves to Him.

We have been redeemed from the slavery to sin. The 'price' was that the Lord Jesus gave everything even to dying in our place to redeem us - Praise His Him

Although we have been redeemed from 'slavery to sin' regrettably we can still fall & yield to our 'flesh'

But Praise God for His grace & forgiveness

Paul wrote "you are now a slave to Christ' (1 Cor 7:22, NLT) - yes we are redeemed from being 'slaves to sin' & we are saved to be 'slaves of Christ' - we serve a Master Who only wants our best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3JtVj1YWgk

We have been redeemed because a price was paid for our redemption (but not necessarily our freedom).  Through the price paid, we were transferred from ownership by Sin, to a son or daughter of God (an heir with Christ, who was the first).  Which would you rather have, a life free to do what you want (live in sin and face eternal damnation), or accept the payment made for our redemption, love Christ and join Him in eternal life?  Becomes easy when you write it down, read it and accept it.

The Blood of Christ was the price paid, a price lovingly paid with our Lord’s pain, suffering and horrible death by crucifixion.  Stop for a moment and really think about the last day of Christ (his last as a man).  Are we worth what he went through?  I think not: we are sinners, we are selfish, we are rarely satisfied.  And yet we have been given a gift (our redemption) that makes each one of us the luckiest person on Earth, if we do what God asks: see John 6:28-29, 39-40 --

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”  29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.  40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) 
In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery? What slavery have we been freed from? What was the price of our manumission or freedom? In what sense are we free? In what sense are we still slaves? 
Christ redeemed us by dying in our place, enduring the dreadful wrath of God against sin. He paid a ransom; a ransom price which satisfied our holy and just Heavenly Father. His death on the cross was the payment for our sin, a payment that secured our release from the bondage of Satan and sin. Once we come to Christ in repentance and receive forgiveness for sin, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit who comes to live within us. We have been freed from our slavery to sin. The price of our freedom was His precious blood. We are free in the sense that we are no longer bound to the penalty and power of sin. It is by His power that we are able to resist sinning and become slaves of righteousness. But now instead of slaves to sin we become slaves to righteousness, and from now on we experience complete peace and true freedom. Out of gratitude to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ we humbly serve Him. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:16 AM, Krissi said:

I know in my head that I've been redeemed from "slavery" which is the same as my sinful nature and sin itself, but often I don't feel very redeemed. In this sense, I'm still a slave to my own sinful character. Yes, I still sin. At times, I even want to sin. At times, I don't want to sin but sin anyway.

The price of being freed was paid by Christ, but my freedom is in process. I'm as free from sin as I am sanctified.

As I write, the war in the Ukraine is raging. In the midst of this war,  combatants from both sides are exchanging prisoners, a gentle and humane act in the midst of war's barbarism. In a sense, that's what Jesus has done -- He's exchanged Himself for all of us in a gigantic prisoner swap. We are rescued from our place of slavery ... returned home. He took our place.

The analogy isn't perfect, but it gives part of the truth.

Good morning and Be blessed today in this truth. Jesus said in John 16:27 " the Father Himself  loves you!"  And David says as you know in psalms,  " all my days that were ordained for me were written down before one tcame to be. God loves our honesty with ourselves,  He truly understands,  that's not an excuse for me to continue with knowingly sinning but as Paul states in Roman's,  I don't do what I want to do and I keep doing the things I don't wanna do, there's a war waging in me  and I know I'm a sinner and what a wretched man iam.  Be encouraged today!! He will never leave you nor forsake you!

16 hours ago, Rob Mc. said:

We have been redeemed because a price was paid for our redemption (but not necessarily our freedom).  Through the price paid, we were transferred from ownership by Sin, to a son or daughter of God (an heir with Christ, who was the first).  Which would you rather have, a life free to do what you want (live in sin and face eternal damnation), or accept the payment made for our redemption, love Christ and join Him in eternal life?  Becomes easy when you write it down, read it and accept it.

The Blood of Christ was the price paid, a price lovingly paid with our Lord’s pain, suffering and horrible death by crucifixion.  Stop for a moment and really think about the last day of Christ (his last as a man).  Are we worth what he went through?  I think not: we are sinners, we are selfish, we are rarely satisfied.  And yet we have been given a gift (our redemption) that makes each one of us the luckiest person on Earth, if we do what God asks: see John 6:28-29, 39-40 --

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”  29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.  40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Amen!

On 10/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery? What slavery have we been freed from? What was the price of our manumission or freedom? In what sense are we free? In what sense are we still slaves?

We have been redeemed from slavery because Jesus died on the cross, sheding  His blood  and paid the penalty for our sin that we might go free.

We have been freed from the bondages and slavery of sin. 

The price of our freedom was the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.

Because we now have the Holy Spirit living within us, we are now free to choose to live by the spirit unto God.  So, you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11

We can still be slaves unto sin if we choose to:  But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. Galatians 5:16  But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.   Romans 6:22   

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery?

We are sinful by our nature from Adam and thus slaves to sin. But Jesus paid the price with his blood to buy us back to God as his Children.

What slavery have we been freed from?

We have been freed from slavery to sin and its death penalty.

What was the price of our manumission or freedom?

The blood and life of Jesus Christ

In what sense are we free?

We are freed from the death penalty of our sin if we did accept Christ.

In what sense are we still slaves?

We probably are still struggling to remain absolutely free of sin and  usually fall and rise up again.

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19)

Being justified freely (without a cause), by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

.   .   .   you were bought with a price  .   .   .

.   .   .   .   you were redeemed from the futile way of life   .   .   .   not with perishable things   .   .   .   with precious blood like that of a lamb without defect or spot, the blood of Messiah

In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery?

A  ransom has been paid for us.

What slavery have we been freed from?   

The futile life of sin, ultimately leading to death and hell.

What was the price of our manumission (emancipation) or freedom?

The precious blood (like that of a lamb without defect or spot,) of Messiah.  Christ paid that price by offering His life (blood) on the cross.  He was the sacrificial LAMB that paid the ultimate price   -  once for all  -  

In what sense are we free?

The price for our sin has been paid, so now it means we are set free from that penalty, which is forever separated from God.

In what sense are we still slaves?

We have been bought and so we are not our own, we belong to Him Who bought us.

We have been redeemed from slavery through the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ so that we maybe in right standing with God.

We have been slaves to sin. We deserved to be punished for all the sins we committed but Grace saved us from dying as sinners.

The price of our freedom was God giving us His only begotten Son so that He may die for our sins. Jesus Christ saying yes to the will of God saved us from the penalty of death.

We are free when we believe that Jesus Christ became the sacrificial Lamb and died for our sins. We know that He paid the price and because we believe, we are set free.

We are slaves when we continue to condemn ourselves and do not believe that God has truly forgiven us because the price was paid once and for all. Romans 8 verse 1 says "There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit".

2 Corinthians 5 verse 17 says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new".

We have been redeemed from slavery by a payment of a purchase price.

Human nature is flawed and we are an enemy and unjust before God, therefore through Jesus Christ we are freed from the slavery of sin. 

The price of our freedom comes from Jesus Christ who paid for out redemption with his life as a sacrifice for our sins.

We are free from this sinful world and have been forgiven for our sins and have become participants of the Kingdom of God, however being we still live in a world of sin we may at times fall to its evil paths. Only with the Lords help can we overcome the trials that come our way.   

• 3 weeks later...

Q17. (Romans 3:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Peter 1:17-19) In what sense have we been redeemed from slavery? What slavery have we been freed from?

We have been redeemed from slavery thru Christ Jesus presenting himself as a sacrifice.  We have been freed from sin.

What was the price of our manumission or freedom? In what sense are we free? In what sense are we still slaves?

The blood that Jesus shed for you and I. We are free from sin but still struggle not to sin.

We have redeemed from slavery in the sense that GOD, by his grace, through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus, redeemed us from sin and its related punishment. God presented Jesus Christ as a sacrifice of atonement. We have been freed from the slavery of sin. The death of Jesus Christ is the price of our freedom. The death of Jesus Christ has made it possible for us to be right with God, with all our offences pardoned and removed from us. When we put our faith in Christ we are declared righteous. We are saved through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, not by obeying the Law or achieving moral perfection. We can continue to be slaves if we don’t repent and turn to God through faith in Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We who are in Christ stand in redemption from slavery to sin thankful for the blood of Jesus. Galatians 4:24 says, "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." and Galatians 5:1 tells, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."  The price of this freedom was Christ's blood, shed once for all.  The price of our freedom was high. 1Peter 1:18-19 reminds us, " For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect."  We return to life of slavery every time we are, "tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." (James 1:14-15)