JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q26. Perseverance

• 4 months later...

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) How does our faith function alongside God's protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God's grace? Our faith is the key that holds us close to God. When we stay close to Him no matter what we will persevere. He is the one who guards and protects us when we trust in Him. It is God who decided to save us and it is He who watches oves us and keeps us because of His grace towards us. Because He wants the best for us and the best is that we stay close to Him and persevere until the end when we see Him. Until we enter heaven and all our troubles will be gone.

(1 Peter 1:4-5)

How does our faith function alongside God’s protection to keep us to the end?

How does this show God’s grace?

I will try to explain a picture that has come to mind about this.   I see a father walking on a road with his child.  The child walks where the father leads, just trusting him to guide and reach the end of the journey.   The child can veer off to the right or left (it has a choice), but trust in its father keeps it close to his side, for he knows which path to take on this perilous journey.  Just so if we stay close to God we trust in His protection which is given by God's grace, and so we can walk on our life's journey knowing He will keep us to the end.

I liked your word-picture, Irmela.

How does our faith function alongside God’s protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God’s grace?

This lesson was VERY helpful to me, the idea of dual agency or responsibility in salvation and, I assume, too, in sanctification. I agree that the church tends to overstress either God's part (grace and mercy) or our part (faith). But both are needed. I don't know the mix, whether for some people it's mostly faith and a bit of grace, and for others, the opposite, but it seems to involve both in varying percentages in different situations.

So my faith in His grace, that is, my willingness to believe He is really a good and loving God (even when the evidence and my circumstances suggest otherwise), is what triggers His protection of me/my faith. It's a circle. 

Yes, it shows His grace.

I pray I have enough faith to trigger His response, that I do my part "faithfully" to elicit His grace.

• Our faith in God leads us to Him and His protection whereby we are sealed (2 Corinthians 1:22 (God) who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."). Through the Holy Spirit we continue to grow and strengthen.  Likewise, our faith in God enables us to reflect this in our way of living and our regard for others.
  • ALL of this is not through our own efforts, but through the grace of God who knows us better than anyone else.  He knows what we need to survive here and through eternity.

I will try to explain a picture that has come to mind about this.   I see a father walking on a road with his child.  The child walks where the father leads, just trusting him to guide and reach the end of the journey.   The child can veer off to the right or left (it has a choice), but trust in its father keeps it close to his side, for he knows which path to take on this perilous journey.  Just so if we stay close to God we trust in His protection which is given by God's grace, and so we can walk on our life's journey knowing He will keep us to the end.

Perfectly said Irmela!  Thank you.

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) 
How does our faith function alongside God's protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God's grace? 
God’s protection works together with our faith - we are kept by the power of God, and this through our faith in Christ. The moment we first trust our Saviour we are saved from the penalty of sin, and from then on we are saved from the power of sin as we allow Jesus to live His life through us. Finally, at the end we will be saved from the presence of sin as our bodies are changed and glorified. True believers are protected by God and given sustaining and persevering faith. It is the protection of omnipotent power and the perseverance of faith that go together. It is through faith that we are saved and kept. By His mercy we are redeemed, and it is the same grace that preserves our heavenly inheritance, also preserves us as heirs to enjoy it. Thanking You our Heavenly Father: Your grace is a blessing from above, A gift that we can never repay with love. It’s a power that is so divine, The greatest gift of all time.

God is the Power.  God set the Plan.  God, through Grace offered us salvation and thankfully we accepted.  Now God will continue to do His part, keeping us in line for sonship and an heir to His kingdom. 

We, however, must do our part.  We must Keep Our Faith!  We must believe, as we do, in Christ the man, Christ the Savior and Christ everlasting.  We must live under the salvation of the blood, and his resurrection after three days.

As we go through life we will meet many different situations, happy times and sad time, difficult times and sometimes times of despair but as Christians we know God is with us in the midst of everything and we must believe and hold on to this in calm weather and stormy weather. If we feel God is absent , we have moved away and taken our focus off Him. God will protect us in every situation as we cling to Him. We are protected by the power of God through faith. We have to do our part by faith and trust. This shows God’s grace because we do not deserve His attention and protection, we only deserve His wrath. 

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) 
How does our faith function alongside God's protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God's grace? 
God’s protection works together with our faith - we are kept by the power of God, and this through our faith in Christ. The moment we first trust our Saviour we are saved from the penalty of sin, and from then on we are saved from the power of sin as we allow Jesus to live His life through us. Finally, at the end we will be saved from the presence of sin as our bodies are changed and glorified. True believers are protected by God and given sustaining and persevering faith. It is the protection of omnipotent power and the perseverance of faith that go together. It is through faith that we are saved and kept. By His mercy we are redeemed, and it is the same grace that preserves our heavenly inheritance, also preserves us as heirs to enjoy it. Thanking You our Heavenly Father: Your grace is a blessing from above, A gift that we can never repay with love. It’s a power that is so divine, The greatest gift of all time.

1 Peter 1:4-5) How does our faith function alongside God’s protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God’s grace?

This is our faith- to trust in, rely upon, and cling to God, (Father, Son, Spirit), for our salvation. Along with God power to protect us from anything that might try to separate us from God and steal us away from a salvation that is reserved in heaven for us.

Our salvation, our faith and God’s protective power are all examples of His unmerited favor, that we don’t deserve or have we earned it. God’s amazing grace!

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) How does our faith function alongside God's protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God's grace?

Our faith in Christ takes hold of the grace of God and his support through the Holy Spirit to accomplish our deliverance and salvation.

This shows God’s grace because we do not merit his supporting initiatives along with the Holy Spirit.

When we allow the power of God to work in us, we are strengthening our faith because we do not believe in our own limited understanding. There are so many doctrines and false prophets that the Word of God warns us about and the Word says, even the elite will be deceived. The only protection we have is when we obey the Word of God and keep all His commandments. We can only do this through prayer and reading His Word. The Word of God says 'Without Him, we can do nothing". It is therefore important to rely and trust in God alone.

Along the way we disappoint God by our actions, thoughts and speech, but that does not make God to remove us from the Book of Life which I believe that those who trust in Him are already written there. We have been discussing predestined in the previous questions and I believe that God knows who will be with Him until the end. I am reminded by what the thief who was hung along our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that did he was promised to be with the Lord in Paradise that very moment. God in Omniscient. 

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) How does our faith function alongside God’s protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God’s grace?

1. We believe in God and realize he loved us so much that he gave his son for us to be forgiven and allowed his son to suffer tremendously for us. We should know and understand that believing that he will provide, protect, and love us so much that we don't have to worry about anything. We must believe that he is our everything no matter what we are going through.

Knowing that his grace is sufficient for us at all times because we are serving him with our whole heart and soul. We must believe that he is our shield and stronghold always.

How does our faith function alongside God's protection to keep us to the end?

God's protection is based on an individual's faith. This implies that, a person's faith attracts God's protection. The absence of faith means the absence of God in one's life.

How does this show God's grace?

God lays his grace for everyone to grab but it depends on an individual's faith that will determine how the individual will respond.

Our faith in God works in conjunction with the Lord who protects and reserves us for His kingdom. 

Because of God's great mercy and grace and out faith in the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ we are predestined to inherit eternal life in heaven.    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maintaining and strengthening our faith in who Christ is and in all the promises and provisions God has made for us is our part in the miracle of salvation. God does everything else required, from start to finish. We don’t deserve such generous love and mercy. There is nothing we can do to qualify for it with our self-efforts and works. And yet He has held nothing back and offers redemption and relationship freely to all humanity. That is the very definition of grace.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q26. (1 Peter 1:4-5) How does our faith function alongside God’s protection to keep us to the end? How does this show God’s grace?

1 Peter really makes it clear that BOTH our faith and God's protection keep us to the end.  "To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of ... who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:  Grace and peace be yours in abundance. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice," What an intertwining of God's grace and mercy providing for us and empowering us to continue in faith.  He did not need to do any of this, yet God's grace more than provides for us.  Our cooperation in the sanctification process and our obedience pours out God's abundant grace and peace and LIVING HOPE.  WOW.

• 6 months later...

Faith is the central asset for a Christian. In Matthew 8:2, the leper had enough faith to tell Jesus "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean". Jesus was "willing and cleansed him".  In verse 8 a pagan Roman centurion, whose servant was paralyzed said to Jesus, "Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed." Jesus replied to the centurion, "Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel !"  Then, Jesus healed the centurion's servant. In chapter 9:2, people brough a paralytic to Him and when He "saw their faith" He Healed him. Of course, there's the woman with the issue of blood, who had the faith to know that if she could only touch His robe, she would be healed. She did and she was healed. And He told her, "your faith has made you well". Later in the chapter two blind men came to Him and asked for mercy. He asked them if they believed that He could heal them and they said "Yes, Lord " and He healed them. Now, certainly the demons who possessed two men in 8:28-32 knew who Jesus was and what He could do. I think about the people who actually saw these things, but still did not believe. Many were pious church leaders who were too afraid of losing their stature and their hold over the Jewish people. Today, we don't have the good fortune of seeing these things, but if we look close enough and think about it, we can find many events in our own lives where our 'faith has made us well'.