JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Belief in Christ's Return

Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16) What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life?

Belief in Christ's return should allow me to make all efforts to meet Him when He comes. This belief should find us living each moment as though it was our last. We sholud seek to prepare ourselves for his coming, carrying out His mandate, doing His will, trusting Him, Building a stronger bond with Him, being faithful. No one wants to be left behind, no one wants to be punished, so measures will be taken to 'make it right with God".

What effect does an underemphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?

Underemphasis, may result in a wayward way of life, just living every moment for that time only, It's evident in our society today, Christ's return is underemphasised and people live for themselves and human desires, there is no form of preparation.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

1.They should be looking forward to it because with His return comes us leaving this earth and our sin nature behind and being with Jesus and seeing Him face to face forever. We should concentrate on living a life well pleasing to Jesus. 2. That Christians will have a tendency to live as they pleases and not be anticipating Christ

• 1 year later...

A belief in Christ's return and coming judgment should arise in me the desire to live a holy and godly life, with total commitment to Christ.

An underemphasis on Christ's return creates circumstances where those things that I should value most are put in second place.

• 4 weeks later...

My belief in Jesus' return and coming judgment causes me to evaluate what I am doing with my life and in my life daily. I do not want to be found with intentional sin in my life when He returns or when I depart from this planet. I want to be found a good and faithful sevant in neither case. I want to be a man of integrity reflecting my faith through my actions at all times.

An underemphasis on Christ's return could create a Christian life that is unprepared for both the Seconding coming or the Christian's departure from this planet.

• 2 months later...

Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16) What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life? What effect does an under emphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?

We should not be become lazy and complacent because Christ Has not yet returned. Instead, we should live in eager expectation of Hs coming. What we would to be doing when Christ returns. That is how we should be living each day.

If we are not ready for His coming, He will get us unaware and then will cry when it will be to late.

• 1 year later...
Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16) What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life? What effect does an underemphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?

My life must change forever and I should live as someone hungry expecting to be fed waiting at the door for Christ Jesus. A Christian can become blinded by the worlds views and become self-centered and get deeply trapped in sin.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16)

What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life?

What effect does an underemphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?

We need to make choices which when we come to think about it should be quite simple. Do we live for eternity or for now; do we emphasize the spiritual or the material; do we choose the permanent or the passing? We will want to live in holiness and godliness eagerly waiting for the coming of our Lord. We do this by following the example of Jesus - trying to be more and more like Him. Also there is nothing to fear knowing that He will keep us safe. Soon we will be standing before God and this should create within us a desire to be without blemish and blameless, and to be at peace with Jesus. We live in the light of God

• 1 year later...

The effect that the belief in Christ’s return and coming judgment has on my life is that I am anticipating on that day. It helps me to take the things that are happening in the world today and know that there is something better waiting for me. But the effect that underemphasing this fact makes me want to wonder off and seek thing that will please me.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16) What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life? What effect does an underemphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?

My belief that Jesus Christ is returning and judgment will ensue and the fact that I will probably die before He returns motivates me to get my spiritual life in order which emphasizes a close relationship with God through Jesus and motivated and directed by the Holy Spirit.

If I don't do this there will be no spiritual development in preparation for eternity in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Believing that Jesus Christ will return to earth and that all will be judged at that time should make me desire and strive to live a life worthy of Christ:  resisting temptations; choosing not to sin; acknowledging and repenting of those sins I do choose to commit; forgiving those who wrong me from my heart; demonstrating agape-love to all others; making the God of Israel, of the Bible, my only God; agape-loving and obeying God; making my sanctificaton and telling nonbelievers about Jesus the top priorities of my life.  Then and only then will I be ready whenever He comes.

Some Christians may believe Jesus will return  but not let that belief affect their lives.  Therefore, they do not feel any urgency to repent of their sins, to stop sinning, to become more like Jesus, or to tell nonbelievers about Jesus.

More "Christians" seem to believe that Jesus will not come again.  Instead of focussing on what God in the Bible tells us to do:  tell others about Jesus; love other people, and above all, love God, they focus on "fixing" human society and the earth:  putting an end to social injustice and poverty, caring for the  abused   environment and animals.  In the end, they seem separated from God and attached to nonbelievers, a universalist god-in-all, and the earth.  They close their eyes and as if blind, do not see God judging people for their sins.

I have asked myself but I don't know the answer:  Are these people who have taken their eyes off God and Jesus and made the earth and its human people and its animals their priority, truly Christian?  They think they are the true Christians and those of us who do not follow their ways are not.

• 2 years later...

Q5. (2 Peter 3:11-12, 14-16) What effect should a belief in Christ's return and coming judgment have on your life? What effect does an underemphasis on Christ's return have on a Christian's life?​

Belief in Christ's return and coming judgement should make all Christians excited because Christ is our only Hope and our eternal reward.  This should make us lived excited lives, being alert at all times, ready at any time.  We should also be telling as many people as possible about our belief with prayer and humility so that none will perish.  This belief should also make us live holy and blameless lives all for the glory and love of God.

Under emphasis of Christ's return will make us lethargic, dormant and redundant Christians, always procrastinating things which are of great importance in the kingdom of God. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2004 at 2:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

A belief in Christ's return and coming judgment gives  me  hope.  An underemphasis on Christ's return cause a Christian to live his life without the blessed hope in view.

• 1 year later...

A belief in His return should spur a Christian on to holiness, witnessing, daily confession of sins, living a life that pleases Him, trusting Him completely, obedience to His word and Him in all areas of their life. It also will cause the person to realize that they will again see their departed loved ones in Heaven. With that hope it will cause them to rejoice in hope of Christ's return. 

An under emphasis on it will cause them to be complacent in the faith, to commit idolatry, to commit other sins as well. To have faith without works when they should have faith with works instead. It will cause them to be idle as well.