JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q7. Compel them to come in

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24) In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges? Who do the servant-recruiters represent? How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation? What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfill it?

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 1:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24) In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges? Who do the servant-recruiters represent? How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation? What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfill it?

The Parables of Matthew and Luke, the people represented from the street are poor, lame, blinds and Gentile. People from the highway and hedges are Pharisees and Jewish. The servant-recruiter represented evangelists. As disciple of Jesus Christ I am so committed to recruiting lower class people into the church based on my abilities spiritually and financially. Nothing keeps me from the kingdom tasks. My church would fulfill through total commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit take control of all the activities in the church. 

The recruiters are evangelists. We are all called to be evangelists. In fact, it's the greatest calling we have -- the great commission. 

It does not matter who we talk to about Jesus. He puts people in our paths. If those people are like us in culture/background/class, He wants us to tell them about His salvation. If they are different than us, we are still to speak God's salvation message. Frankly, I don't think social class has anything to do with evangelism. All that matters is that we are obedient to Him by talking about Him to those who are in our life path.

Christians who never meet people who aren't Christian because they're so hyper-focused on serving their families or other like-minded families within the church do concern me. If we constantly serve each other, we block ourselves off from the world and our potential for evangelism. The family oriented church requires a lot of time and labor from people in the church -- I wonder if we're spiraling too tightly inward and not looking to the lost outside our church walls.

For women, in particular, family can be all-absorbing. These women pridefully tell themselves that the most important thing just happens to be what they're doing, raising the next generation. Unfortunately, this attitude is not in scripture. It's remarkably absent.  It's a natural, not spiritual, desire to promote oneself and one's family.

But Jesus tells us to push aside our natural family relationships to serve Him for there is no room to tell others about Christ if we constantly "self-serve." 

---

Ask yourself these questions: Are you leading people to Christ? Today? Yesterday? If not, why not? How long has it been since you told someone about Jesus? What's keeping you from evangelizing? Is it your family? If so, perhaps you need to put Him first and obey His commission by fighting the   earthly, fleshly and very natural desire to serve yourself through your children and husband.

Both Israelites and us the rest of the world. In Jesus' time those poor and uneducated and low class better listened and accepted Him. We also heard the good news as spread by them, 12 disciples and their fellow Jews and then by Paul. 

Now we, people in Jesus Christ, are servants and herald the good news and invites Jesus.

As much as possible our church makes outreach one Saturday in  month and tell the good news to everybody.

I try to participate but still feel guilty of not give my self as required and give my employer company workburden as excuse. I appreciate my small church in the midst of small villages with populated by all ki d of people stated in the Parables that serve people and herald the good news with all constraints of peace, conflict, economy of our country and people and many challenges.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:03 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The servants went out and they gathered together all they had found from the highways  whom they found, both bad and good.  The poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.’ 

Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. 

We the Body of Christ to witness and bring people to Christ and the born again experience that they might really know Him.

We have a multicultural Church and we take in anyone who is hungry for God and searching and want to  give their life to Christ.

We have an Saturday program where we witness with pizza to the homeless, connect groups, a Christian school, Make us one conference, etc.

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24)

In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges?

These are those we do not deem as having any worth... the blind, crippled, vagabonds, homeless, outcast, poor...  ironically... it's actually all of us... we put ourselves into social classes... God does not do this... He loves us all exactly the same... we were all born blind in need of a Savior to bring His Light to our darkness.

Who do the servant-recruiters represent?

All of God's children... we are to be scouring the countryside compelling other to come to the Banquet.  

How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation?

Our church is a very good mix of social classes, it is a beautiful symphony.  

What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfill it?

We can always do better in reaching and discipling.  The key is to stay in tune with God's Spirit... Jesus did and said nothing without His Father telling Him.  He ministered to each person differently... He healed each person differently... He knew which crippled man to approach at the pool of Bethesda... He knew where to find the Samaritan women at the well... because... Jesus met with His Father OFTEN and obeyed His every Word and direction.  We, as a church, need to stop following step by step "programs" that have worked for other churches... God is not a "fit in a box" kind of God... each church will minister to people in a different way dependent on the needs of the people in their area and the gifts of the body within their congregation.   The only way we are going to do that is to take a humble posture of both the knees and the heart and truly seek God and His Will each and every day... and then... DO what He tells us to do!  Only He knows which heart... rich or poor... is ready to receive His Son.  We are but the vessels... the messengers... it is the King Who tells us where to go and what to do... cast the seed wide but we need to make sure we are casting it where the Lord has directed us to cast it... stay connected to the source and you will find yourself harvesting in a way you never thought possible.

In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges?

The poor and downtrodden are the common people who "heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37, KJV). Perhaps those inside the town are the Jews, while those in the outlying areas are the Gentiles. They represent you and me. We are unworthy to eat at our Host's table, but we have been invited and cleansed.

Servants of God, disciples, Church and we who have decided to follow Jesus.

The Samaritans.

The Gentiles.

The disciples of Jesus Christ.

Good in a sense of the programs in place that aid the poor. But work is needed in bringing these people in, sharing God’s grace, love and acceptance. As well as leading them to Christ and disciplining them.

I think that this is an area that the church, in general, has traditionally fallen short. In much the same way the 1st century Synagogue and the temple in Jerusalem also did. I think that it stems from the church and congregation’s struggle to find balance between legalism and license. The Law and grace. One says they’re sinners and don’t belong here; the other says they’re sinner, (everyone is) God loves them, of course they belong here. Where else should they be. We have an upcoming generation that is searching for meaning in life, but being misled much like the Hippie Movement of the 60’s and 70’s. We need to reach out to these people in Christ’s name. We don’t hate them for their sin but do the best we can to love them into the kingdom, knowing that this pleases God.

A. The Jews: the poor, beggers, and downtrodden. 

B.  Gentiles: vagabonds, sojourner, shunned and unwelcome.

C. You and I represent the recruiting servants. 

D. I feel like this is my calling, to go outside the walls to reach the lost and needy.

E. To many times we allow things such as family, friends, our jobs, selfishness, etc... to hinder us from reaching out to the less fortunate. 

F. We could start more outreaches, teaching disciples to go out to the lost and needy.

Lost people to come hear the gospel.  Believers.  Reaching out is a lifestyle regardless of "class".  Witnessing, inviting wherever we go, wherever we are.  From the poorest to the richest would be welcome at our church to hear the gospel.  The issue often is their misperception of church or a bad experience of a professing believer or the insanity often preached on TV or radio, but mostly a long term hardened heart.  Our society is so broken.  Of 450 visits over a 3 year period, we did not find one biological family and NONE visited our church.  We greeted warmly, gave Bibles and information, expressed love, gave a gift, a gospel tract, but no response.  80+% of people come to church because a FRIEND invited them.  This should tell us something...we better be friends to sinners, building biblical relationships as we share Christ.

They are the people that we do not care about because we categorize people according to their class whereas the Word of God says that God is not a respecter of man. In God's eyes, we are all equal and therefore everyone is welcome to be where Christ is.

The highways and hedges have both the good and the bad but both the Parables teach us that Jesus Christ does not discrimate and wants all the people to be saved from the gnashing of the teeth.

The servant-recruiters represent the Ministers of the Word of God, Evangelists and all those who have received God's mercy because we can all go out there to preach or teach people about the Word of God.

Very diligent as we do regular outreaches, preparing meals for the destitute and even handing out school shoes and clothing to all those who are in need. We are really trying our best to have people come to the knowledge of God. The Prison Ministry, Hospital Ministry are all up and running.

I am fully involved and there is nothing that can keep from from fulfilling the will of God. Obedience is key and one has to master it to understand the heart of God.

By continuing to do the will of God and allowing the Holy Spirit to always open our eyes to the plight of many that need to be saved by God. 

In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges? Who do the servant-recruiters represent? How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation? What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfil it?

Those of the streets and lanes of the city would be the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame (14:21). The common people, the ceremonially unclean. The people from the highways and hedges would be those from outside the city. The outcasts, the undesirables, the untouchables, and the Gentiles. Today this would include all people who are spiritually destitute. Sinners who are aware of their uselessness, hopelessness, and unworthiness. It will also include God’s chosen ones - the humble, the poor, the base, the lowly, and the nobodies. All can come and believe. A lame man can believe, a blind man can believe, a deaf man can believe, a dying man can believe. The young and the old, the wise and the foolish, the rich and the poor, they can all believe if they will. The servant-recruiters would be the servants who are told to seek, urge, and persuade to accept the invitation. Today this would describe us as believers who are given the task of spreading the good news of the Gospel and Jesus; seeking and inviting lost sinners to repent and put their faith in our Lord and Saviour. This would be done with loving kindness and persuasion. Up to now as a church we have not been very effective. But we do try. Coincidentally, our church has started about a few months ago with a concerted effort, to spread the news about Jesus in our community. The whole congregation are tasked with making a real effort in obedience to our Lords’ command. With the help of the Holy Spirit, we are determined to fulfil this commission.  

Q7. The people recruited from the roads , byways, etc represent in this parable the ordinary Jewish people and those who are deemed unacceptable in society. It may have also included gentiles. Today it represents all people living on earth. 
The servant recruiters are all of us that have accepted the Lord and have been given a part to play in the Great Commission. 
Everybody who comes is welcomed and encouraged to be part of the church. Since Covid we have been slow about organised outreach. We are going through difficult times within our church and seeking a new Pastor as our Pastor resigned due to overwork and ill health. We are encouraged to continue personal outreach to those we come in contact with. 
I fail miserably at outreach! I miss opportunities and realise later. I may say a few sentences and get discouraged easily. I find it hard to convey the love and feelings I have for my Lord and Saviour to others. 

Q7 1. The poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame of the town, and countryside. The guests both good and bad.

2. From the highways and hedges?

3. Who do the servant-recruiters represent?     Those that are obeying God.

4. We are very much willing, but trying to do better.

5. What keeps you from this Kingdom task?  Nothing, but going at it more and more.

6. Teaching the word of God to members and how to approach the unsaved in love and words.

In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city?

Who are the people represented by those recruited from the highways and hedges?

How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation?

What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfill it?

The ones represented by the recruits from the streets and the lanes of the city, are the outcast of the Jewish nation.  (Not the religious elite, but the ones they looked down upon, viz., the poor of society, the oppressed, the ones that did not keep the law as they wanted it kept (with all the trappings),  the tax-collectors, the lepers and the lame, the prostitutes, gamblers, etc. 

The people represented by those recruited from the highways and hedges, are the ones further afield.  The Gentiles.  The ones not included in the Jewish nation. ( As Jesus said the disciples would be His witness in Jerusalem, through all Judah and Samaria,  and to the end of the earth.) 

The servant-recruiters first represented His Apostles and disciples.  Now we too, who are followers of Jesus, are included to call the lost. To invite them to accept the call.

There should be no class differentiation.  As with Jesus, there was no class differentiation.  All were welcome.  He invited all.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The people who are recruited to these banquets were poor people, who wouldn't normally be invited. These are non Jewish people the Gentiles.

People that have been thrown out of towns, the despicable, the vagabonds.

The servant recruiters represent God's disciples to say that the kingdom of God is for everyone and you are invited to his banqueting table.

People are invited to come to our church but don't always stay. We make them welcome and don't judge them. We treat them with respect and love.

I am not a confident person and need to be bold for the Lord so that I can witness and ask people to come to church and know the Lord.

By having more invitations and witnessing more in our neighborhood and prayer 

In the Wedding Banquet and Great Banquet Parables, the recruited people represent all who respond to the message of the Gospel, while the servant-recruiters represent all who share the Gospel message.  I am not as diligent as I need to be recruiting anyone and everyone.  While I pray for my neighbors, I need to have outreach events with our neighbors.  Our church needs outreach events. 

I admire our son's church.  From the pulpit he has challenged everyone to fill out a card with the name of the one person they intend to share the Gospel with; he collected those cards, and the staff prays through the names.  He also gave all an invitation card to give to that person with an invite to an "Every Nation Congregation" potluck in the church yard in two weeks.  From an all white, one-language, congregation 5 years ago when he arrived, the church has grown in numbers and now has people speaking 40 languages and includes a congregation of homeless attenders to CEO's.

1. The people recruited from the streets and lanes of the city are God's people the Israelites, the poor and downtrodden. From the highways and the hedges are the Gentiles.

2. The servant-recruiters where the prophets of God sent to reach out to the nation of Israel. (Today it applies us as evangelists)

3. "I'm not diligent enough" Unfortunately I don't go to any church, but I have to make time to spread the gospel of Christ JESUS thru talking to people and social media. What is keeping me from this task is that I'm not practicing time control and organizing my time to reach out to love ones. This is my fault. I have to fulfill my task by changing my heart and priorities and not be afraid to speak to people that I love, from members of my family to strangers, like both parables explain. 

• 2 weeks later...

A7.

My church, an Evangelical church, targets both high and low class in the society for the purpose of recruiting souls for the kingdom of God.

What tends to keep me personally away from the task of soul winning is usually laziness and flimsy excuses that are not credible.

May the Lord help me to overcome this bad attitude?

The people that are represented from recruited from the streets and lanes of the city are the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.  Those from the highways and hedges are the vagabonds and sojourners.  The recruiters represent us.  We are diligent recruiting for those the come into the church and are unsaved.  We can do much better by going outside the church recruiting.  Mostly, we feel that we do not know what to say and/or afraid a question may be asked that we cannot answer. 

On 4/21/2023 at 9:03 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24) In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city? From the highways and hedges?  How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation? What keeps you from this Kingdom task? How might your church fulfill it?

The rejected, the sick, the blind, the unwanted. We are the servant recruiter's. I should be more diligently going after people's hearts for Jesus, the ones who aren unseen. Myself interests. Leading the cause.

(This is a 5 part questions.(1) The people's represent the children's of Israel.(2)The prophet and leaders that God has ordained .(3) The community supposed to be active in the church. We just not confined to preach to the congregation but to everybody we come in contact with.(4)Not knowing what to say or do but if someone approach me and ask about my religion I don't hesitate to tell them what Jesus Christ done for me.(5) To go out and preach to everybody tell them about Jesus Christ and what he done for us and what he can do for them. The gospel must be preach 

• 3 weeks later...

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24) In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city?

I take that as beyond the temple atendance so gentiles.

From the highways and hedges? The social outcasts.

The body of the church as workforce. Not the leadership only, which should be growing up to maturity the harvesting crew. Then leading and guiding the harvest.

How diligent are you and your church in recruiting those who are of a lower class than others in your congregation? I am not sure we truly know how the Father wants it done. I believe our current efforts are limited in productivity.  And I truly believe we are in a change of seasons and being taught how to fish a new. As with the apostles who came in with empty nets. And were told go out deeper and recieved a great reward. We are gaining a few. Here and then there. We must learn the updated how to.

What keeps you from this Kingdom task? God told me no more vending machine grade cheap prayers. He is not refilling the machine. Without tears He will not believe we care in prayer. Or we do not receive Psalm 35:13-14 and cry for the lost who no mater how bad they are do not deserve the Lake of Fire reserved for satan and his.  We as body are not at that point yet.

How might your church fulfill it? I am called to pray to the dead bones.
Our chuch and others shall respond and fulfil the next level of our maturing and calling. That is my faith that as I do as guided by the Spirit, God will fulfill His purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q7. (Matthew 22:1-10; Luke 14:15-24) In Jesus' Parables of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew) and the Great Banquet (Luke), who are the people represented by those recruited from the streets and lanes of the city?

It was the lame, the blind, the sick and the poor. Today I believe it is us, we are those people being called to eat with Jesus at the banquet.

From the highways and hedges?
The lost and sinners.

The believers in God, going out to tell the lost about The Good News.

We are encouraged to speak to the unbelievers in our family, our friends and strangers. Everyone needs to hear about The God that saves and forgives.

What keeps you from this Kingdom task?

At times not always knowing what to say, especially if it’s someone I don’t really know that I’m talking to.

How might your church fulfill it?

We have friends and family day where we are asked to bring in those who we know don’t have a relationship with God. So they can come and hear the word and fellowship with believers.