JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q11. Wise and Foolish Builders

• 4 months later...

.Following Jesus means more than just listening to his teachings we have to put them into practice. Sometimes people think that Jesus teachings sound good but when it comes down to it they really don't want to follow him all the way. They want to claim to be truly serving Jesus but in their own personal life they are not doing what he says, their only listening.

One way is by being a good example that young Christians can look at. When they look at you putting things into practice that can also encourage them to do the same. Also praying about it and getting them involve the right activities that can help them put Jesus teachings into practice.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, Bianca said:

.Following Jesus means more than just listening to his teachings we have to put them into practice. Sometimes people think that Jesus teachings sound good but when it comes down to it they really don't want to follow him all the way. They want to claim to be truly serving Jesus but in their own personal life they are not doing what he says, their only listening.

One way is by being a good example that young Christians can look at. When they look at you putting things into practice that can also encourage them to do the same. Also praying about it and getting them involve the right activities that can help them put Jesus teachings into practice.

Q11. (Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49)

Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on “putting into practice” rather than in “believing”?

It is through obedience we show our love for Jesus... it is through obedience His Glory is seen in our lives... it is through obedience we humble ourselves to His Will, tossing aside our own selfish wills... It is by obedience His Work is accomplished through His Church... Believing is the first step, followed by repentance... but without obedience, our faith (belief) is dead.  

How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship?

This is the passion of my heart and it's what all my teaching revolves around... "life application"... or "obedience"... if we cannot apply God's Word to our lives, then His Word becomes stagnant antidotal quotes that we use to "sound spiritual".  True freedom comes from following Jesus... not just listening to Him... It is easy to grow our knowledge of God's Word... in fact... there are some who take quite a bit of pride in their knowledge of God's Word... memorizing complete books so they are able to call to mind scripture on cue... oh how I wish I had that kind of mind... but without putting those Scriptures into practice, it's all empty... in fact... knowledge without application cripples the church.  Our knowledge is piousness, without the passion to want to see God work through our life... I want a changed heart... it excites me when I see inward growth... when I want to serve instead of feeling obligated to serve... when I want to spend time with a grieving brother or sister rather than feeling I have to do it... when I respond with God's Fruit without having to force it... life is so much simpler when we throw off all the pretenses, humble ourselves, and just follow Jesus with our whole heart wanting nothing more than to Glorify Him and see lives changed through Him.

The Christian life includes both thought and deed. Thought precedes deed, however, so what one thinks must be the first focus of growth. What we do comes out of us, thought percolating upward from within us that becomes deed.

There's a point in the Christian life when thoughts no longer suffice. God demands more of us. He wants deeds. He wants us to obey Him and do His will. This is what Jesus is talking about in this parable. Some of the builders did His will in a shoddy way ... it didn't last. Others did His will correctly ... their lives will show eternal fruit. 

In this parable God is telling us that just doing something isn't good enough. Similarly, just thinking isn't sufficient. We have to do what He has set out for us to do, which is to love Him and others. Evangelism is imperative. 

I just can't imagine a Christian who truly loves God whose life doesn't show change. 

To believe is good for we must believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, the Son of God, our Saviour. That's all well and good. But just like the parable of the builders: many say that they are builders, but when tragedy comes the buildings may fall if not built strong and according to code. There are many believers also that say that they are believers, but when tragedy strikes in their lives they turn away, fall. As Jesus said why call me Lord, Lord and not do my commandments. 

We need to try to teach, and encourage young Christians the importance on, putting into practice, after they believe. Explaining to them the dangers of not putting their faith into practice. For Jesus said in Matthew 7:21, not everyone that says Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of the Father. 

It's easy to say that you believe. God knows our heart and the true test is practicing what you say you believe when hard times, storms, trials come. When we practice it tests will come. When we practice there should eventually be fruit. People are watching so we should be examples. I remember in my mid twenties watching a woman going through a difficult marriage and her husband had left. She was struggling and I would see her pawn her wedding ring to buy food and she would go back to get the ring back multiple times.  She never spoke bad about her husband and she prayed for him. She continued to praise God and practice her belief through it all. She led me to the Lord.

Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on "putting into practice" rather than in "believing"? How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship?

It’s not enough to believe in our Lord Jesus Christ. A believer must listen to His Words and obey them; that is put into practice what He says. In this parable we see the wise man who believes in Christ, who hears His sayings, and who obeys them. He is the one who builds his life on Christian principles. The foolish man also believes but fails to follow Jesus’ teachings. We can help our young Christians move to true discipleship by getting them to realise the importance of having a solid foundation, one that is built on Christ, the solid Rock. Tests and crisis in life are unavoidable, they come suddenly and in many forms. It’s best to be prepared for this. The only way to survive, is to regulate their life earnestly and prayerfully, that it is in harmony with the words of Jesus, as revealed in Scripture. The foolish builder goes his own way.

Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on "putting into practice" rather than in "believing"? How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship?

Jesus teaches the people to be doers of the word and not just hear and believe, because doing so they would be building good foundations for their spiritual lives.  When our spiritual foundation is strong, then our faith will not shake when trials and temptations hit us like storms.

we can help young believers into true discipleship, when we become practical Christians.  When young people see us living the Word than just believing, when they see the fruit of what we believe manifesting in our lives, it is proof for them what God can do in a sinners life.

Knowledge puffs up but love edifies 

At Simon the Pharisees House you could see the contrast of one who knew a great deal about God's word and on the other hand you had a sinner woman , who had tasted the goodness of Jesus. She may not have known much but she loved him.

We are called to be doers not just hearers

But believing in the truth you hear is the foundation that enables you to live right.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing His word.

That Faith in this Good Good father helps us practice what we heard

Q11. (Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49) Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on "putting into practice" rather than in "believing"? How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship?

He is teaching us to live our lives in such a way that it brings glory and honor to God. To put our beliefs and faith in Christ into action. To be different and set apart for God. Philippians 4:9 These things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.”

The best way is to model and live out these principles in your own life, using every opportunity to share your testimony with others on how God has been faithful and true in everything He calls me to do.

Q11. (Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49) Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on “putting into practice” rather than in “believing”? How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship?

1. He advises them to put his words into practice and both listen and obey. The foolish will build and their house will fall. The wise will build and their house will not fall because of the firm foundation. Building a house requires wisdom to spend adequate time to construct a firm foundation. We must trust God all the way to have a spiritual firm foundation.

2. Let them see the true life I am living which is an example. It will help them understand that living for God can be done truthfully. My testimonies will encourage and allow them to know that God can deliver, heal, and save our souls from hell. We are to let our light shine and not make it shine.

Q11. Many people hear a preacher and believe and are enthusiastic about God. But so often their enthusiasm wains. They find it too much effort to actually obey, it may be too uncomfortable or inconvenient. 
mothers think that if they believe in Jesus that is sufficient, they do not realise that we are called to hear and obey. One without the other is not what Jesus desires. 
The need to obey God needs to be explained to young Christians so that they understand fully about what is required to be a follower of Jesus. Hearing and obeying must be linked together at all times. As Christians we must also play our part by showing by the way we live what hearing and obeying are an integral part of our everyday life.

When we emulate Jesus through our actions, we put into practice His teaching and believing is just lip service. Jesus had compassion for all the people He met. We should not be Christians who will not stand for justice because the matter at hand may not be affecting us. We must stand for the truth in every way and care for people that are suffering. I must know the needs of the people and where we are able to help, do so. We need to be there when people need us in order to stand the test of time. Our faith in God should be deep-rooted and be able to stand for the truth.

True discipleship is obeying the will of God and following His precepts. A compassion leader will always teach the young Christians that we are called to do the will of God and subject ourselves under His authority. The Word of God says we must not only be hearers of the Word but doers as well. We cannot only pray for the needy, orphans and widows but we must also assist when they need help.

Believing has to be taken further in any believers life. If we believe we need to do it and show it in real life experience, which also serves as example for others to demonstrate it in their life too. It helps to draw people to Jesus seeing that we so things as we believe in Jesus.

Young people see our examples as we practice our belief in Jesus. The way we talk, do things, pray, closeness to the word of God, our relationship with others, believer or non believer. Jesus is the life we live not only the good news we tell people to inspire them of love and salvation.

Q11. (Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49) Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on “putting into practice” rather than in “believing”? How can you help young Christians move from believing to true discipleship? 

Putting into practice.  Wow.  Discipleship requires walking in new life.  Our faith, our beliefs fuel our actions.  Whatever is important to us, we do.  Unfortunately, the outward appearance can be deceiving, so Jesus talks a lot about the 'foundation' in that parable.  To help young Christians move from belief to true discipleship, I help younger Christians interact with the Word of God, applying it to daily living and praying it with them, as well as praying for them.

Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on "putting into practice" rather than in "believing"?

The believing principle was already there.  The hearing even more of His words came next.  Now came the part following on from that : Putting what you have heard into practice.   

This parable followed on from where Jesus reminded them that they were calling Him, 'Master or Lord', they were acknowledging His authority.  So now He is pointing out to them that on strength of that authority, put My words into practice.  FOUNDATION is very important in life.  If you build on His words you build on a rock foundation.  If you build on human effort or human goodness, the weakness of this will soon become apparent.  It is like building on sand.  That was why He was focusing on putting the teaching into practice.

Believing is one step, putting into practice what you believe follows on from that.  That promotes growth  and  true  discipleship.   Disciples "do".   Without practicing what you believe, how can good fruit come from it.  Fruit will come .  What kind will it be?

On 4/22/2023 at 2:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus focuses on the parable of the wise and foolish builder, to question where are walk with Christ is. To see if we are embedded in the foundation of Jesus firmly, or whether we are being foolish and doing are own thing which could jeopardize are practical walk with Jesus. He focuses on practical rather than believing as it is lived out each day and it can be seen by others.

Young Christians need discipleship to help them grow in Christ and have a firm foundation.  These can be done in a group for new believers to be discipled by a leader in the church. Bible study and question and answers so that new believers grow and mature in the faith.

Q11. Wise and Foolish Builder

(Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49) Why does Jesus focus the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders on "putting into practice" rather than in "believing"?

ANSWER: Jesus shared his Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders to illustrate the folly of not listening to him. Today, those who hear and obey his words are like the person who builds a house on a firm foundation, unlike those who hear but ignore his words. When a person builds his life on Jesus' words he is building a strong foundation. He will be strong inside. The foolish man in the parable was like someone who listened to Jesus' instructions but then did not follow them. A person that does not build his life on Jesus' words will not have a strong foundation.

ANSWER: Only a disciple can make a disciple. Discipling new believers … To disciple someone is to spend dedicated time with, pray for, build a friendship with and intentionally teach them how to grow in their faith.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus focus the parable of the wise and foolish builders because we are to be wise and build ourselves on Jesus the solid rock.  He exhorts them to both listen to his words and put them into practice. That means getting into the Word of God and spending time and fellowship with Him and not being moved by every wind of doctrine and to be strong in Him so that we will not be moved when the storms come.

You can help young Christians by sticking with them and stressing how important it is to get into the Word of God, be water baptized and baptized in the Holy Spirit.  The enemy will do everything to distract us from getting into the Word.   Proverbs 4:20-22  My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.   For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.  We take natural food 3 times a day for strength and health.  Just as important is our spiritual food which keeps us strong in the Lord.

Q.11  Because putting  into practice  your faith requires  that you spend your time with God through reading His word , spend in time in prayer seeking God . Doing this affirms your faith in Him such that even if you encounter  situations  along the way you will not be shaken

You build  someone  into  true discipleship  by spending time nurturing their spiritual growth  until is able to stand on their own  in their Christian  faith 

On 4/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We must practice what we preach, we must be doers of the word not just hearing.

By sharing life, the life that Jesus gave us. changed us, by showing them what real love is through Jesus.