JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q15. Rich Man and Lazarus

Q15. (Luke 16:19-31). What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be? In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus? What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

• 4 months later...

Q15. The rich man’s sheer greed and absence of mercy for those who are poor, especially Lazarus are the reason he went to hell. His excessive banqueting and costly garments and neglect of Lazarus who was in dire straits, tell of a man full of himself and living to satisfy every desire he had. He had no concern even for a beggar right outside his door! 
I think his sins were greed, lack of mercy and selfishness.

In hell he still thinks of Lazarus as inferior to him. He asks Father Abraham to ‘send’ Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool his tongue. V24. Than in verse 27. The rich man is begging Abraham to ‘send’ Lazarus to his family. 
The point of the parable is that we get the opportunity on earth to do what we can to help those less well off than ourselves. If we ignore these opportunities and think only of gratifying ourselves, then we will be punished. We must do all within our power to advocate for those who cannot speak out for themselves and to serve and give what we can to the poor. 
Within our church we do very little for those around us who are poor. I volunteer at our local food bank and work in a charity shop which serves those unable to afford normal shop prices. 
Our church supports a number of missionaries who serve the poor. We also support organisations like ‘Asia Link’, Open Doors, and their humanitarian efforts. 

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Q15. The rich man’s sheer greed and absence of mercy for those who are poor, especially Lazarus are the reason he went to hell. His excessive banqueting and costly garments and neglect of Lazarus who was in dire straits, tell of a man full of himself and living to satisfy every desire he had. He had no concern even for a beggar right outside his door! 
I think his sins were greed, lack of mercy and selfishness.

In hell he still thinks of Lazarus as inferior to him. He asks Father Abraham to ‘send’ Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool his tongue. V24. Than in verse 27. The rich man is begging Abraham to ‘send’ Lazarus to his family. 

The point of the parable is that we get the opportunity on earth to do what we can to help those less well off than ourselves. If we ignore these opportunities and think only of gratifying ourselves, then we will be punished. We must do all within our power to advocate for those who cannot speak out for themselves and to serve and give what we can to the poor. 

Within our church we do very little for those around us who are poor. I volunteer at our local food bank and work in a charity shop which serves those unable to afford normal shop prices. 
Our church supports a number of missionaries who serve the poor. We also support organisations like ‘Asia Link’, Open Doors, and their humanitarian efforts. 

Q15. (Luke 16:19-31). What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be? In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus? What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

I think of when Jesus was asked, “what is the most important  commandment” and He said “love God and love your neighbor as yourself.”  The Bible says that you can’t both love God and money; you will hate one and love the other. And the second commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself. Lazarus lived practically on his doorstep. And yet the rich man failed to see Lazarus as his neighbor who was sick, starving and homeless.

In hell the rich man still sees Lazarus as  beneath him and as one to serve him.

We are God’s hands and feet here on earth and we love Him by obeying His commands. When we reach out to the poor and needy with compassionate hearts we are also showing our love and appreciation to God, who owns everything anyway. Our church seems to do a good job addressing these issues at home and overseas. But it always seems like its never enough to meet the incredible need.

I believe his selfishness and lack of concern for others that were in need which is basically hoarding and being greedy cause him to go hell. Since he didn't have concern for others which was his neighbor Lazarus. He didn't fully realize he was also ignoring God and his commands which was ultimately going to be his permanent downfall. 

In hell he wants Lazarus to help him but he has to remember that he wasn't kind to him or more than likely others the way he supposed to be. 

I believe we need to Truly care about others and what God says(his rules) because there are eternal consequences that we will have to deal with if we don't.

Giving to others as God instructs me. That can be food money or anything else.

His primary sin appears to be his indifference and neglect of Lazarus, the poor beggar at his gate. He enjoyed a life of luxury while ignoring Lazarus' suffering.

In hell, the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus is one of regret and a desire for relief from his torment. He asks for Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool his tongue, showing some acknowledgment of Lazarus but still only as someone who can serve him.

The main point of this parable is to highlight the importance of compassion and caring for the less fortunate during one's lifetime. It warns against the dangers of materialism and indifference to the suffering of others, emphasizing that one's actions in this life have consequences.

All the Laws and instructions from God in the ot are rooted in The chesed of God.

Even Pharisees missed the point ...they outwardly kept the law and inwardly missed the point by far , they tithed herbs but devoured widows houses, preying on the poor.

As easy as it is to ignore the poor,  if we do so we are not representing Him well.
We are to be led by the Spirit of God , Pursue Love , and be His Hands and feet.

Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.Prov 19:17

Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow. Is 1:17

Whatever we do , we do it as Unto the Lord , for the Audience of One , Following His Lead.
He recieves it As Worship.

What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be? In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus? What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

Most of us are neither rich nor poor however we all have, at times, a gross attitude toward the poor similar to those who are much more wealthy. The rich man displayed his wealth ostentatiously in front of the very poor. But, when in hell, the rich guy is chastised in hell because he "had good things" while on earth. This leads me to think that the sin IN THIS PARABLE ONLY is less a lack of generosity to the poor than owning too much and showing it off. The disgusting flaunting of wealth in front of those who are hungry is his primary sin.

In hell, Lazarus looks back at his family and worried (in kindness and love?) that they, too, will end up in hell. He wants to save his family but it's futile.

The main point of this parable, as I see it, is to be less cruel and unthoughtful with one's wealth and not to flaunt it, but rather live modestly and in an unassuming manner. As Pastor Ralph noted, many of the lauded people in the Old Testament were very, very wealthy -- Job was rewarded with still more wealth after his ordeal, Joseph became a wealthy Egyptian official, the patriarchs were all extraordinarily wealthy, etc! So the problem cannot wealth in itself but how a Christian relates to that wealth, his duty toward it. An attitude of generosity is a part of this relation. Giving money away silently, secretly and without one's name on a building is another aspect of the Christian duty toward wealth.

Wealth can become an idol. I have watched people check their phones several times an hour to see how their investments were doing -- this is sin, in my eyes, as it is gross materialism and obsession with wealth-building.

This quote in today's text says it best: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." There's no shame in wealth, but there is shame when anyone -- middle class included -- obsesses and hoards money or ostentatiously displays it.

Q15. (Luke 16:19-31).

What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell?  Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be?

This man lived his life only concerned about himself... What struck me was... this rich man didn't just "not notice" Lazarus... no... he not only recognized him when he saw him with Abraham...HE KNEW HIS NAME... and... his family must have known him too because he wanted Lazarus to go and show himself resurrected to them.  But, before I put on my judgmental hat and conclude I could never live my life like this, I know there must be people in my life who I know well enough to know their name but who I do not take the time to find out if they need something I'm able to provide through the blessings given to me by God.  How often do I pray, "Lord, bless them" when I should be praying, "Lord, how can You use me to bless them?"

In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? 

He still doesn't see Lazarus as an equal.  He is still viewing life through a worldly lens of social classes.  He expects empathy from Lazarus when he never had any towards him.  He continues to think of himself and see others as a means to improving his circumstances.  His heart is no different than it was before he landed in torment.                                                                                                        

What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus?

We cannot get so caught up in making ourselves comfortable in this world that we miss the opportunities to minister and serve those in need around us.  It is ok to have nice things in this life... it is ok to be rich in this life... as long as we keep open hands with every blessing afforded to us.  We must be willing to actively share our blessings with those around us.  It is why we have been given them in the first place.  My car is not my car... it's God's car.  My house is not my house... it's God's house. My bank account is not my bank account... it's God's bank account. And the same goes with everything I own.  Without becoming a Pharisee who even gives 1/10 of every herb... think about what you have... what would it look like to give 10% of your home?  Home Bible Studies, inviting people over for dinner that you know no one else would ever invite?... How about our cars?  Giving rides to those who need them?  Delivering meals on wheels for a local charity?  There are so many ways we can use our resources, but it takes our most valuable resource to make it happen... our time... OUCH!  That one hurts :( 

What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

Our church funds and operates a completely free children's camp throughout the summer.  We have over 100 kids each week from our community who come to this amazing camp with ziplines, horses, canoes, climbing walls, etc. and they are surrounded by counselors and volunteers who love on them for an entire week, filling them with God's Word.  We also do a back-to-school backpack bazaar each fall where families from our community are invited to come and receive a hot meal and school supplies for their kids.  It's an awesome day with face paintings and bouncy houses... we then pray over each family before they leave.  

1. The rich man refused to feed the beggar who laid at his gate and was covered with sores that the dogs licked. He allowed the beggar to eat the crumbs that fell from his table.   

2.  The rich man was not concerned about others, only concerned about himself, which was selfish.

3. He wanted Lazarus to dip his finger in water and cool  his tongue. He was asking for help from Lazarus when he had no compassion on him at all. He was still concerned about himself. He did not even ask Lazarus to forgive him.

4. Jesus is teaching that the love of money will get you in hell and that he is not pleased about it.  We are to think about others and not be selfish. God don't mind us having things in life, not to exceed it as being ungrateful for others who are in need. We are to use and share what we have to help others.

5. We help others as much as possible. We help the firemen that came to put out big fires in our area. We encourage the elderly women and men at mother's day and father's day by having a program just for them or giving them a small token of money to show that they are special. We have a Community Christmas dinner for the special need group homes every Christmas. During that time we give them gifts and let them do something spiritual, such as sing, answer bible questions, and we provide a nice meal for them.  My church also send clothes, shoes, toys, and other small things to Honduras and other countries that have less or nothing.                                                                                                                            

What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be? In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus? What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

The rich man who was entrusted with a lot of money by God, used it selfishly for himself and did not use any of it to bless his needy brother.  He did not care for the poor beggar Lazarus who sat at his door.  This also proves that he did not have any faith in God.  James 2:14 - 17 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

There was one more reason why the rich man went to hell.  He discovered he had not repented 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' Luke 16:30

The main point of the parable are

• In the Kingdom, the worldly wealthy and the poor in spirit reverse places.
  • If we close our eyes to the truth we are given, then we are doomed.
  • Wealth without active mercy for the poor is great wickedness.

Although being extremely rich, his lack of compassion; casual indifference to the poor; his refusing to feed or care for Lazarus who was sitting outside his gate; his hard-heartedness and love of money; all landed him in hell. He lived for self, satisfying his bodily pleasures and appetites.

This attitude showed he had no love of God in him. This is a warning to us to determine our attitude toward our money and possessions.  Are we caring towards others, using our resources to help others and not selfishly hoarding. All of us are stewards of what we have, and we are to use it to bless others, to bring life, to bring health and hope and joy. This is a test of our faithfulness in stewardship. To whom much is given, of him will much be required. Despite his dire situation he still regarded Lazarus as a servant - having no respect for him as a person. Our church is actively involved in supporting a church in a poor rural area. Visiting, supplying food parcels, clothing and various urgent needs. In the word. We support financially 5 missionary couples over 3 countries – excluding ours.

The rich man was self-centered and did not care about the needy, the poor, the orphans and the widows. All he cared for was his lavish spending eating delicious and scrumptious food, wearing expensive clothes and not even provided for the hungry, the thirsty and the naked.

He showed no love for other people and did not have compassion to the plight of the vulnerable and destitute.

In hell, he still considered himself a boss and wanted Lazarus to be treated as a servant tossed around to do chores.

The main point of the parable is that Jesus does not condemn the rich but believes that they need to show love and take care of all that needs help. Lazarus was a sick man and needed attention. All that the rich man was supposed to do was to provide food for Lazarus because he was daily living at his gate and licked by dogs. He could have provided medical attention like the Good Samaritan did when he saw a man badly injured. But he ignored showing compassion and assisting him.

Our church does a lot of outreaches, prison and hospital ministry, the church Foundation supplies food weekly to the local communities and gets involved especially when there are floods like in Mozambique in Africa. The church understands the principle of alms. We have a couple that is doing missionary work and they are supported financially.

He was so caught up in his riches, he had no mercy for anyone, especially someone like Lazarus. 

I believe it's all about self-centeredness, pride, all about himself, no mercy. 

The rich man still looks at Lazarus as a slave, one whom he can order around. 

The main point is to get people to understand that we need to care about others, and have mercy for the less fortunate. Put others before ourselves. 

We minister in the prisons and half way houses, and streets services trying to reach those who can't help themselves, and try to help them and show them Jesus Christ and His Mercy and love. 

Any sin could have been the Rich Man's sin...any.  We can assume it was being so entrenched in his riches that he did not give any concern to those in need. In hell, the Rich Man's attitude toward Lazarus changes as he sees that Lazarus is in bliss.  The main point of the parable is to focus our minds and hearts on the eternal. I am involved in giving to children in our country and in 3rd world countries, and support of missionaries who in turn minister to the destitute.  Our church has several community based organizations that it supports locally; we join in giving to them. Can I do more? yes.

The rich man was oblivious to poor Lazarus laying in front of his gates and suffering from disease it made him think more that his superior to Lazarus. He als might not have considered Lazarus as a human being because of his poor condition. Mercy is from him is absent towards Lazarus and his condition. Consider todays life with beggars in our communities. If we know you we would try and avoid you or if we see you we change direction and if your dirty and dont smell or look clean we especially keep away from you. We should be reaching out to the poor and help them where we can. The movie Evan almighty last 5 minutes ARK stands for 1 Act of Random Kindness.

What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be?

What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus?

What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area? In the world?

It seems to have been "loving his wealth" which enabled his wealthy extravagant style of living.  His wealthy lifestyle was not hidden from the society where he lived.  He lived in the sight of men instead of in the sight of God.  He lived for the now (temporal) and did not consider the eternal.  Surely the fact that Lazarus was laid at his gate, would have meant that he had noticed Lazarus.  Seemingly he was not affected by this fact as he did not have him removed from there, neither did he show mercy on him there.  So he seems to have been oblivious of the needs of others. 

In the notes it is reflected that the rich man still seemed to look at Lazarus as a servant/slave, who can be ordered around.   Firstly to still his thirst and so lessen his torment and secondly to be sent to his brothers to tell them about this place of torment, so they would not end up there. 

1. There is existence beyond death.  Dying is just the end of the earthly and conscious opportunities and activities.  Personality and consciousness continue
  2. Conditions beyond death result from what is lived on earth.  If here on earth you lived close to the Lord and for Him, that is the "treasure" you will have there.  If here on earth it was earthly riches (they all fall away, they cannot be taken with you) that drew you, you will have nothing stored up there.  
  3. "If they hear not Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded by one who is raised from the dead."   eg. of this is when Lazarus, the brother of Mary and Martha, was raised from the dead, they tried to kill him.  When Jesus rose from the dead, they denied it and then tried to kill His followers.

The rich man was exclusively concerned about his luxury and forgot about the kingdom of heaven that blided him from seeing the poor around him. Love in the sense of devotion to others was not available in his activities. So, he forgot that he will be responsible for his actions on earth in the life to come. In one way or another we are also responsible for those who suffer around us.

Even after seeing hell, he never realized that the poor and the rich are all equal humans, and still thinks that the poor need to showcase themselves for the rich to help them, becuase the rich man still seems to think that his brothers and sisters would recognize the poor Lazarus and thought that they believe him if he showcases himslef to them to convey the message of their brother being punished in hell, they will learn and be in heaven as they join him in after death.

Therefore, whether we are rich or poor, the main message is that we must show love to one another and live the life of sharing and committing to doing things that is worth not only for ourselves but also for others. We must be rich in spirit!

Our church tries to help the poor among and around us. But I still don't feel it is enough, but I also understand the constraints of the majority of our members who also still live in constraints and poverty. No such endeavor in my local church to part take in World initiatives of such kind, but I know the prayer for all humankind for salvation,  justice and mercy at times when those deafening and miserable news are circulated and reached our ears. In my family we pray every Friday night on such matters of salvation, love, sharing and peace and justice and protection of vulnerable people.

What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell?

He was self-centered, only mind things concerning him. His luxury life style and money was the his daily focus and love towards it. It is not luxury life style or money that let him fall into sin but the love of it. There was no time for him to reach out to his neighbors or the beggar (Lazarus).   

Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be?

Caring for the poor, we as Christians must have that passion and love to serve the community in specific the vulnerable.

Still didn't recognised Lazarus as equal in creation. 

What is the main point of the Parable  asof the Rich Man and Lazarus?

No matter who you are they are equal in GOD's eyes. On Judgement Day their judgement where equally according their actions on earth. Roles have changed Lazarus that was in need received well deserve here after life will the Rich Man was put in hell where no one can stand it. Love towards one anther is every much short in this parable.

Gather clothes, shoes and food to hand out to the poor. When it's winter blankets and soup are also part of the dish outs. 

A15.

The Rich Man was selfish and did not care about the hungary poor man near his door step who was starving.

It appears while he was in hell, the Rich Man still looked at Lazarus as a poor man to be sent around to warn the Rich man’s relatives that hell was a place to avoid by all means.

The lesson in the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is that, there is need for us that are rich to extend our resources to help the poor among us or else we would be punished.

This is food for serious thought for me to wake up and help the needy.

My church has a programme targeting the widows in the church with food stuff and clothing to cushion their lives.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The rich man's sin was that he was selfish, had plenty of money but didn't help the poor, especially Lazarus that landed him in hell. In hell the rich man is wanting Lazarus to come down from heaven and stop his feet from burning. He realises he had done wrong and wanted Lazarus to warn his brothers so they too would not end up in hell.

We are helping out in a food bank where people have to pay but a minimum amount. We are volunteers. The homeless in Hyde are not actually homeless but have homes and use the money for drink or drugs. 

I also sponsor a girl in Uganda and send money to an orphanage in Romania.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

No concern for the poor and his love of money.

I believe their love of money combined with their lack of mercy for the poor. Wealth without active mercy for the poor is great wickedness.

His attitude was using Lazarus as a slave doing his bidding  and of lower class.  In that the rich man proposes that Lazarus should rise from the dead to warn his brothers.

The main point of this parable don't be selfish. Share your riches with the poor and destitute. Be a blessing to others.

We have Pizza in the Park and bring pizza and feed the poor and homeless, give testimonies and pray for their needs. Loving more where we give to the missionaries in need.   At Thanksgiving we give a turkey and many bags groceries to the needy and pray for them.

Q. 15-(Luke 16:19-31)

The rich man's sin landed him in hell because of his pride, greed and not having empathy for the less fortune. We see here that the rich man didn't even have a name. Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be it was refusing to care for a person in need. And, in today's society some people really don't care for others, because they are not in their shoes. Rich man dies not having faith in God, so all his earthly success amounted to nothing of eternal value so at death he was sent to hell to be reap the fruit of the life he had one lived. 

In hell the rich man's attitude toward Lazarus is the way we treat others shows us which direction we will take. The rich man had to had felt jealous of Lazarus, because God cares for the needy not the prideful.

The main point of the parable is to warn people of the pitfalls and dangers of living a life driven by greed and lack of love for others.

Me as a believer I often extend my hand to my neighbor making sure she is alright and if hungry I cook for her and myself. I donate to ministries that help others in need. The church I attend helps out missionaries and donate to help them whatever it is needed. The church goes out in the Winter and help clothing coats etc. There is so much that is done for the people in need. WE pray and encourage people. We give people hope through love and kindness and we preach the Word of Salvation and how much they mean to God.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Pride, Greed, No Love for his fellow man.

His attitude is that Lazarus is still a slave  and lower in Esteem .

To treat your fellow man with love in your heart to help and lift them up in life.

Feed the poor, Love the poor

Q.15

Richman's sin is that of  nit recognizing poor man at his gate and providig of his need for food

His sin is being loveless , unkind  to the poor who need his assistance  as he is able to provide

Richman attitude towards Lazarus is of self centeredness as his asking that Abraham sends Lazarus for his own gain

The main point of parable is that we need to recognize  poor people among us who need our help when we have means to help 

Organization that aid poor people by providing  food parcels and clothes

• 2 weeks later...

Q15. (Luke 16:19-31). What was the Rich Man's sin that landed him in hell? Since it isn't stated explicitly, what must it be? Failure to value his crumbs. And to see there were those to wich even so little was a blessing given into a need.

In hell, what is the Rich Man's attitude towards Lazarus? That Lazarus should serve his desire.

What is the main point of the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus? There is consiquence to failing to value people while need and the power of even our smallest crumbs. Just our pocket change can change lives if used for ministry.

What are you and your church doing to aid the very poor in your area?  Truckers for the Homeless operates from our ministry.

In the world? I give into ministries that have feeding programs each based out of missionary efforts.