JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q55. Good Samaritan

Q55. (Luke 10:30-37) Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define “neighbor,” that is, someone we have a responsibility toward? How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need?

• 6 months later...

We shouldn't be like the Jewish priest or the levite. We are called to care about others of a different race and background. God loves everyone and cares about everyone so should we. 

A neighbor is anyone we see in need of help. Not just our next door neighbor. Anyone The Lord leads us to. 

I like to help whoever the Lord leads me to help. Sometimes God does ask us to go out of our comfort zones to help others. But that's a good thing. It keeps us from just always doing things in the same way all the time and getting into a routine. Such as for example, I only help this person or do this or that at a specific time. We should always be open minded to however The Lord wants to work. 

Q55. Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37)

Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? ANSWER: The priest and Levite were the people in society that were expected to help people when they were in need, while Samaritans were hated and seen as not very trustworthy. Thus, we see that Jesus reversed the common expectations. The priest is the Law, the Levite is the prophets, and the Samaritan is Christ. The parable is much more than a story about doing good to strangers. Jesus exposes the lawyer’s self-righteousness and prejudice. In the same way, the parable can expose our own prejudices. If you identify the person you have a hard time accepting, you have found your Samaritan and have understood Jesus’ parable.

According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define “neighbor,” that is, someone we have a responsibility toward?

ANSWER: Jesus makes it clear in this parable that our neighbor is anyone around us, regardless of their ethnic, religious, or socio-economic status. Jesus is drawing a strong contrast between those who knew the law and those who actually followed the law in their lifestyle and conduct. Being a neighbor is not restricted to relation or proximity. It is merely the demonstration of the love and mercy of God to all in need, whomever and wherever they may be, regardless of race, denomination, or belief. Jesus teaches us that love is an action, not just a feeling or a theory, and that it sometimes requires the shouldering of others’ burdens, an often uncomfortable process. The priest and the Levite were religious men and yet they acted inhumanely, and the Samaritan demonstrated just the opposite.

In contrast to the priest's and Levite's refusal to help the man, the Samaritan, the one who is despised and seen as not honoring God's law, is the one who helps. The ones considered the epitome of law keeping do not. We can conclude that the teaching of the Parable of the Good Samaritan is simply a lesson on what it means to love one’s neighbor.

How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need?

ANSWER: True compassion interrupts your routine, your calendar, and your comfort zone. To be compassionate we must do the following: …

(1). Engage with people who are different from you. Getting outside of our comfort zone can be scary, but getting to know people with different perspectives is an important part of understanding where they are coming from. By seeing and understanding someone else’s point of view, we see them for who they are: a human trying their best, just like us.

(2). Challenge prejudices. In order to be a compassionate person, we must let go of prejudice. When we judge others, we place a societal barrier on them. This judgment can lead to the individual facing further hardships. Without compassion, understanding, and the advocacy of others, individuals may lack the necessary resources, opportunities, and care to improve their current situation.

(3). Take action. Compassion isn’t simply about understanding someone else’s situation; it’s also about being inspired to act. It means being there for others and letting them know they can count on you. It may mean listening, helping them find services or resources, advocating for better healthcare, or talking to your legislators and communities about the necessity of affordable care.

In conclusion, by being more compassionate as a society, we can reduce struggling; both for ourselves and for others

I'm thinking about the preferred and rejected castes of people in today's society, now. We're such a superficial society -- appearance matters much and people who are physically unattractive are shunned; we're also a materialistic society which means people with money are preferred over those who struggle to make ends meet. Power separates, too -- I've seen slimy Congressmen feted as if they're noblemen. Ditto with reporters. Though the entire online "influencer" group revolts me, most people seem attracted to the glitz and Hollywoodishness of the media. They spend their time with their faces buried in their phones, preferring virtual relationships to real ones.

Does our society walk past the homeless vets with one leg? Do people look the other way when teenage children fight in the streets or drug addicts struggle to stand? 

yes.

What about me? Do I ignore or reject the dispossessed, ugly and powerless? At times, I do. I'm afraid of some of them, honestly, and ... well, the problem is just so big. There are homeless, mentally ill and drug-addicted people everywhere and it's difficult to know where to start. It's too easy to hand them a dollar bill and walk away without talking to them as if they were interesting people worthy of a conversation.

To sum: I don't think my love for them is much better than the priest or the Levite had for the beaten man. But they are my neighbor, according to Jesus. I'm responsible for their care.  

--

Having said this, I wonder if the people with whom I "associate" at church or other places are as needy as the beaten man in the parable, in other ways. Lately, I've noticed great suffering among my peers. It seems to be increasing. We're like frogs slowly boiled, getting used to a certain level of pain and then having that level increased, incrementally. The pain never ends. This would not have been normal a generation ago, or two, but it has become normal now. I'm not one to predict the endtimes, but it does seem like social relations are spiraling out of control.

What do you do when the primary cause of social suffering is government policies? Do you treat the wounds but leave the cause alone? This era includes a widening separation between those who champion the policies of the government and those who suffer from and pay for those policies. It's an unstable situation that can't continue forever.

Q55.Jesus uses two men the priest and the Levite who should be caring and helpful, but they turn their backs on the half dead and injured man lying at the side of the road. They were more interested in not becoming involved, or becoming ‘unclean’ by touching open wounds. 
The Samaritan by comparison was not hypocritical like the priest and the Levite. Although he was a Samaritan and hated by Jewish people, he saw the man’s plight and put all his biases on one side and got to work to see what he could do for the injured man. 
Jesus wanted this to be teaching not just for the learned man , to whom He spoke but also to us. We all need to examine ourselves as to how good a neighbour are we?

Jesus is also showing us as well as the man who asked ‘Who is my neighbour’, that our neighbour is everyone in this world no matter who they are. We are all equal in God’s sight, and that should be the way we think. We must not limit our help just to those we know or are like us, but to others who are in need. 
Yes I am moved by those who are in need. I’m involved in various ways to help others. Sometimes the needs are overwhelming but we must look up and do the honest best we can. Jesus is with us and will help our efforts. If we just make a difference in a few people’s lives , it is better than doing nothing. 

Q55. (Luke 10:30-37) Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? He is teaching the lawyer the true meaning of the law. The more important or overriding principle of Gods commandments of do and do not as you encounter real life. This contrasts religous cleanliness rules and cultural anemosities against the rule for mercy and compassion.

According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define "neighbor," that is, someone we have a responsibility toward? The  Lords guidance to me has always been a neighbor is anyone you find yourself next to. Not a selection of who you want next to you.

How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need? I find compassion within my ability to help for something I see far more compelling than to join in ‘give some money so our group can do good’. I care far more for what need I observe and what God prompts me to do than what others see.

Q55. (Luke 10:30-37) Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define “neighbor,” that is, someone we have a responsibility toward? How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need? 

Jesus contrasted a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan because the priest and Levite were held in official esteem in Jewish culture of that day. I think Jesus defines neighbor as anyone in need--we have a responsibility toward anyone in need which feels overwhelming unless we realize we are part of the Body of Christ and that He does not call each of us to care for each need in the globe.  I appreciate that Jesus chose one single road.  The Samaritan was responsible for the need on that road.  Where are we walking?  Where has God called us to walk? That is our road of need for which we are responsible.  Compassion and comfort zone in the same sentence...When God calls me out of my comfort zone, I do my best to listen and obey.  I am so grateful for the Holy Spirit who breathes life even to extending compassion outside of our comfort zone.  Sometimes extending compassion is inconvenient.  That is when we really dig-in and trust God to move in us.

Q55. (Luke 10:30-37) Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define "neighbor," that is, someone we have a responsibility toward? How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need?

To illustrate that even the hated Samaritan was a neighbor to injured man. That the Priest and Levite should have helped him, with the Samaritan being the only one who had a reason not to help, but he was obedient.

Anyone, and especially anyone that is in need, that we have the power to help.

I think that compassion is the biggest motivation. But if it isn’t, obedience to God’s will is. Once we get involved in helping someone, even if it’s out of obedience to God, He can do a work in us that gives us true compassion for those we are serving. Our love for Him brings us into a loving relationship with our neighbors. Gives us an entirely different perspective: by the grace of God go I.

A55.

The Jews generally considered themselves as pious and important. They looked down on the Samaritans as unrighteous and not worthy of recognition for anything good. But Jesus told the parable of the good Samaritan to show that showing love that is driven by compassion and mercy to the needy is what qualifies one as a neigbour. Neither the Jewish priest nor the Levite could qualify as neighbor to the victim of the robbery because they merely walked pass the victim of robbery without stopping to help him.

The parable is a powerful reminder to us (particularly me) that the needy individual we come across is the neighbor that we should render help to and not necessarily the individual that lives close to us who may not even be in need.  

Jesus uses this contrast to let the lawyer see his pride, and let us all know that we are to help anyone in need no matter who they are. 

Jesus is defining a neighbor as someone who is in need, or someone who needs a little help, or mercy shown, no matter the sex, race or nationalism. 

I have a hard time passing anyone who is down and hurting, I just have a heart that I want to see them smile with joy in their heart and know that it's from the Lord. 

Q55. (Luke 10:30-37)

Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan?

Because the former would be easily accepted as a neighbor and easy to love in the eyes of the listeners and they, of course, thought of themselves as fulfilling this command of being a good neighbor.  Whereas the latter would have never been considered as a neighbor or one they needed to love and certainly would not have been seen as one that would fulfill the requirements of being a good neighbor himself.  Jesus was essentially saying, your rank and position nor your heritage matter in the Kingdom of God, it is your heart and your willingness to do what God calls you to do.  He constantly reprimanded the Pharisees of His day for their lack of mercy and compassion.  We are called to be compassionate and kind.  We are called to give of ourselves openly to help others.  I like how He turned this parable around.  He was asked, "who's my neighbor" and instead of telling him who his neighbor was, He showed what a true neighbor does.  He wasn't telling him the Samaritan was his neighbor (although this is certainly implied) but instead was showing him what a neighbor looks like and used the least likely subject to accomplish this.  

According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define “neighbor,” that is, someone we have a responsibility toward?

I think a neighbor is anyone who is in need that we are able to help.  

How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need?

I find I am more compassionate in some situations than others.  I do not know why this is.  I don't know if God calls each of us to help certain people or if we are to get involved with everything we see.  I feel the latter would be overwhelming.  When I feel the Spirit move me, I follow His lead.  There are times my heart says move, but the Spirit tells me to not move.  I trust Him and obey in those circumstances as well knowing there is a reason to not get involved.  I have worked in food banks and have seen those who take advantage of the generosity of others at the expense of those who really need the help.  I believe we are to use discernment as the Spirit guides us because we can easily fall into a situation where we are enabling others or a situation where our generosity is abused.  Having said all that... this parable includes someone who is clearly in need of help and in that context... if someone is truly in need of help and I'm able to help them... I do what I can with what God has given me. 

Why does Jesus contrast a Jewish priest and Levite with a hated Samaritan? According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define "neighbour," that is, someone we have a responsibility toward? How much does compassion move you to go out of your way and comfort zone to care for those in need? 

In this parable the Samaritan is the person least likely to act correctly. Both the Jewish priest and Levite knew the law which stated they were to love their neighbour as themselves (Lev 19:18); meaning that out of love and mercy they were to meet the needs of the victim. But this did not happen. It was the hated Samaritan who came to the rescue; who showed love and mercy. In contrast, both the Jewish priest and Levite showed that the law did not give them the power to obey. This parable must have crushed the lawyer’s self-righteousness and pride. Our neighbour is anyone of any race, creed, or social background who is in need. The ultimate Neighbour was Jesus, whose compassion contrasted with the Jewish religious leaders who had no compassion on those who would die in their sin. He has blessed me abundantly and as His disciple, I should emulate Him by loving my neighbour, having mercy, and showing compassion as needed. God has brought to my attention the self-centred selfish life I live, and that I need to start putting other people’s needs before my own. In this passage He has taught me that I should be a neighbour to anyone I meet who has a need that I can satisfy. 

1. To let us know we should care for others no matter what their race is or who they are. We should help anyone that is in need.

2. Our neighbor is not just our kind of people, but anyone who is in need. 

3. Compassion moves me a great deal because I know to treat others as myself and the way I would like to be treated. I know to have love for everyone regardless of how they treat me. That is a great part of love that Jesus wants us to have. I am always thinking about others and trying to give as much as I can. I don't want to have pride because I am no better than anyone else. I

The Jewish Priest and the Levite are deemed to be people of authority who must take care of the needs of the  community and the hated Samaritan man as an ordinary man who is not even recognised by the community. The former were unmerciful and had no regard for other people thus neglecting a man who was about to die and just overlooked him while the hated Samaritan was merciful and took care of that man.

According to Jesus, a neighbor is every person that you meet whether you know him or not. You do not help a person because he is known to you but because He is made in the image of God and after His likeness. So, Jesus Christ showed love Himself by dying for both Jews and Gentiles. That is why it is important to know that we are all God's workmanship.

If I understand that all people are made in the image of God, I need to know that I have been called to be of service to all the people. I need to understand the teaching that says "do unto others what you want them to do unto you". It cannot be that I want to be assisted at some point in time but ignore or neglect others when in dire need. I must emulate Christ in all my actions.

Q54. (Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-27) Why did Jesus give his disciples the Parables of the Talents and Minas? Apostles are the repairing, strengthening, correcting gift package to the church. They will encounter a divers set of issues through their careers. In each they are to seek to salvage, encourage, and empower the madters gifts in those people to enhance the kingdom of God.

How are you using the "talents" Jesus has given you? I have been sent to a church staged for growth and expanding outreach. I am assigned to pray for the pastorate gifting as Aaron held up the arms of Moses. I discern, fix the wall, and pray support.

What causes people to "bury" the talents they once used for the Lord? They deny the value of the gifting God gave them. Not gootbto treat the master as unknowing of your purpose.

If it is not salvation itself, what is the reward for faithfulness?   21 years of navy and 25 years as a navy civilian. Technician, repair electronice, work in a lab environment. The reward is seeing the high level function restored to the system. You know your part is as critical as the pilots.

Why does God expect more of greatly gifted people? Your purpose for him is greater in criticality. Some people search for the edge of can do. A few of them decide that how long can I run on the edge is theirs. Even fewer are the test pilots that find how to recover from missing the edge of the edge. God needs all to run at their best for the kingdom.

According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define "neighbor," that is, someone we have a responsibility toward?

Jesus told this story after a lawyer had questioned Him :  Who is my neighbor? (It was a question concerning the responsibility created by Law) The lawyer was well-versed in the Jewish Law.  He knew that part where you are admonished to love your neighbor  as yourself.  According to  the rulers and teachers of the day, no Gentile was taken to be a neighbor.  This question was thus asked to justify himself with his own conscience.  From this, one can then deduce the reason for Jesus telling the story, and using his characters as people who would form part of the group of people the lawyer would be familiar with.  Those he would rub shoulders with.  The priest and the Levite were both involved in work at the temple.  (Whether they were going to or from performing their duties is not of great importance for the answer to this question).  The Samaritan was not acknowledged as a full-blown Jew, but as a half-caste, or a different race altogether.  In fact they were generally despised by the Jews.  It was this despised, hated person, who followed the law of loving his neighbor as himself.  He put aside the racial differences and showed concern and love to a stranger.  He took on the responsibility of caring for a fellow-human-being in need.

I would understand that to be that we have a responsibility to those crossing our path, that are in some kind of crises or need.  Those would be seen to be our neighbors.  

Much wisdom and discernment are needed because the begging option gets so much more compassion than the working for a low wage, does.  The beggar gets so  much more and is often hounded by the drug-abusers who  then 'share' by taking the cash and 'protecting' the group, with their viciousness.  Sharing in the meth, dagga, speed, or whatever their 'speciality' is.  The low-income group  is the hard-working, trying to make ends meet, to the best of their ability, type of people, who are often ignored but are the most needy.  Often the beggar chooses this station in life, rather than to work.  They say that begging is their work.  

Just sharing what I have experienced.  Young children choose that lifestyle to get away from discipline or accepting to help with chores.  They pop in from time to time at home just to show that they are still alive, and before you know it, they have disappeared again.  They disappear to get out of the responsibility to attend school.  Many, by the time they are teenagers cannot read or write because they refuse to go to school on a regular basis.  They get passed from grade to grade just because of having registered in the class.  A cluster/Phase of grades is 3 years.  You can keep them in that Phase for 4 years and then have to pass them.  In this way they then end up passing Grades at School with not much more than the very basic knowledge.  These learn to fend for themselves, without discipline, on the streets of our towns and villages.  In a way they are feared because they carry their own form of weapons to defend themselves from the more crafty.  Is this answer just an excuse to justify the conscience of the many who are afraid to help.  Or is the answer the picture reflecting what happens when there is too much giving out fish instead of teaching how to fish.

The Samaritans were particularly hated in Jesus' day but here the Samaritan was pointed out as the caring person. A priest and a Levite had neglected mercy, must have been intended as an especially biting commentary on what passed for "mercy" among the pillars of Judaism. 

According to the parable, how do you think Jesus would define "neighbor," that is, someone we have a responsibility toward?

By this parable Jesus is saying that my neighbor is not just "my kind of people," but anyone who has a need.

My attitude towards this is to answer "What Would JESUS Do".

• 4 weeks later...

Q.55 The Jews and Levites were the highly respected people serving in the temple and expected to be of help to others as compared to Samaritans who were hated , but  became of help to a man who was in need

According  to Jesus a neighbour is anyone who has love for people and is readily  available  to provide in times of need

It s about letting  go of yourself  and be in the shoes of Jesus , if it was Him what He would do as at times self can get better of us  

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus was contrasting a Jewish priest and Levite because he was talking to a person of the law that wanted to embarrass Jesus and show that he knew more than Jesus. The Jewish priest and the Levite were high on the Jewish list. According to Jesus, anybody that we can help we are to help them because they are our neighbor.