JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beginning Again

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

I have begone something in response to God's urging and stopped, this was having bible studies with the family but my job kept me from doing this for many years. I now have resumed doing as he commanded me to do.

God did not want me to stop this ministry of studying the bible

As stated above, I have now become obedient to his commands and have resumed teaching the bible at home. 

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

I remember, not long ago I felt I should start a Bible study for women. I started meeting with women but eventually got busy with family commitments and took a break, rather a long one. Now I feel I must revive the group again. I pray that may God direct me His will regarding the group.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

There are some things which God put in my heart which I am continuing to do. Some things I do, but not with full enthusiasm and with so many distractions. Some things I wonder whether it was God, for I don’t think I am qualified to do them. But the impression I got was so strong. May be there needs to be a lot of preparation. I know it’s my availability and not my ability that God wants. If the Lord is in something that He has urged me on, then He definitely did not want me to stop. Lord help me.

• 6 months later...

The one thing I started in response to God's urging and then stopped is a book for teens. I don't believe He ever wanted me to stop. I believe He wanted me to complete the whole series actually since this book was part of a series.  I feel Him urging me to start again. 

• 1 year later...

It has been an eye-opener to read many of the answers. Many were written a long time ago. It was amazing to sense  the urgency with many to go back and fulfill what had not been completed previously. 

I too pray for grace that God will help me in my walk forward to do that what He has called me to do. To be faithful, no matter what. 

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

Hi all, this is my first post!

Taking this course is something I felt called to do. Being diligent will be a commitment for me! I needed something to help me get beyond the past year dealing with the pandemic. And I started thinking about Abraham and wondering how Abraham kept the faith with so much time between the promise and the manifestation of the promise? What kept him and Sarah going each day, especially as time got long? And how do we apply those principles in our own lives moving forward. I'm sure we're all dealing with similar thoughts in some area. So, I felt God leading me to a study of Abraham - it seemed good! And it gives me the opportunity to start and complete something from which I can build on. Perhaps I will learn there is something God is directing me to circle back to - we shall see! Let the journey begin. 

• 10 months later...

As a kid, I enjoyed and benefited from reading and hearing bible stories. Five (5) years ago, I volunteered in an orphanage to read bible stories to children and stopped when time and finances got in the way. Now I am being led by God again and feel that He has opened the opportunity. I have talk to the local leader in order to have a Sunday school in our community. I am waiting for the approval. Please pray for me.  

• 3 weeks later...

My spiritual weakness seems to be opposite of many posters here -- thank you for this forum, Pastor Ralph, by the way.

I'm like a racehorse behind the gate waiting for the starting gun. I'm always eager to run off to places unprepared and prematurely. I like to solve problems quickly rather than wait on Him to move first. I'm so busy inside that I don't hear His voice when it's still and small -- He has to be persistent to break through the eager clamor within me. 

Right now, God has me in a holding pattern. I'm preparing in many ways for a calling I do not have. I'm wondering if I don't have the calling because He knows I'll get excited and run off too quickly? You'd think, at my age, I would have solved this personality problem and grown up a bit, but ... well ... I'm still champing at the bit, perhaps harder.

So, to answer your question, I have begun many thing I thought were His leading, and stopped -- obediently -- because it was my own eager jumping, not the Lord's command. Yes, He wanted me to stop. In fact, He never wanted me to begin in the first place. 

It's always time to renew obedience.

• 1 year later...

This is a difficult question, and not as straightforward as it may seem. How and when do you really know that something comes from God? Although finely attuned to hearing the voice of God and the Holy Spirit, it is often only in hindsight that the realisation comes and everything becomes clear. I recon as one moves and lives closer to God His voice also becomes clearer. 

In a way it reminds me of 1 Corinthians 13:11 NIV - "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." When still growing in faith and living a Christian life things may not always be clear, but with maturity comes greater insight. 

• 8 months later...

I believe God called me to start an online worship ministry. No preaching, although I have been licensed to preach God's word, that's not what this platform would be about. It would center around music, prayer and worship. I didn't follow through with it because although I have served as Worship Leader at my current church and in other churches, I was afraid of how people would react to me singing online when there are so many awesome singers online. I know that I have been anointed to sing and minister through song, however, it is very different when you open yourself up to people you don't know. I allowed fear to keep me from moving forward.