JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beginning Again

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

Yes, right now as I am reading this question I am reminded that there was a time early in my walk with Christ that I knew I was called to do certain ministries but have allowed them to fall by the way. I repent, Lord, help me to take up again the mantle and pursue your Will. In Jesus name and for Your glory, Amen.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times I have found that I though I was lead by God to do certain things, but when things did not turn out as well as I thought they should or I lost out on something I wanted to have and do, I began to wonder was I lead by God, or what is going on here? I'm sure that Abraham felt this way as well when God told him to leave his family and go somewhere where he knew nothing about and he waited for the promises of God to mainfest and years went by before the promise came. He must have considered why God called him and what was he to do. I am working through my own faith walk, listening for the instructions of the holy spirit to be what I am called to do. This is no easy task, many start and restarts, or maybe it's where and what God wants me to be doing at this or that time.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

Yes , i want to admit that many times , i listened /followed Gods call only to the extent I liked and /or understood

Yes,sometimes I stopped thinking whether i am on the right track or not . I did continue after hearing God reassuring voice !!!

• 3 months later...

In my early years as a Christian I stopped doing things that God had lead me to do. He did not want me to stop. I stopped serving my God because I was disattrated by worldly things. I was very selfish and short-sighted. I was very spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually immature.

At this point in my life, I have attained a level of spiritual maturity, grace and understanding and I have given myself in obedience and service to the Lord without reservation or wavering. I am sold out to my Lord and Savior and passionately want to be in His service. My appetite for God and the things of God is rapidly out-pacing my appetite for other things.

Praise God. He is a meriful and gracious God.

• 1 month later...

Many times have I started something in response to God's urging - quiet prayer times (so inconsistent - starting and stopping), men's Bible studies, mission trips. Each time, God pesters me to get going again.

About 3 years ago, God prompted me to start an in-depth study of His Word at our church. It started very slowly, and I found myself very discouraged, ready to pull the plug. But God very clearly told me to stop worrying about numbers, and just teach the Word. Thankfully, I heard and (this time!) obeyed, and God is now growing the ministry to the point where we may start a second one.

Although I am not leading it, we have also recently started a men's Thursday morning accountability meeting, which is going great. Please pray that we will not let this die out, as some many of these have done before.

• 3 weeks later...

I have felt God in me, but I have never felt Him calling me to do anything...until now. I am almost finished with college and have heard Him telling me that my crazy days are over and that I need to get serious in building a relationship with Him. So that is what I am doing. I am trying to devote a little time each day to reading the bible along with this study. Hopefully, I will have enough discipline to keep this up and have it become something that I just do because it becomes a part of my everyday life. Pray that I succeed!

Yes - many years ago I believe God called to be pastor & teach a Church here in England - because of 'circumstances' I never fully completed that call

My wife & I did plant a church that was short lived (we did not get the support we needed), we then joined a local Baptist Church (where the pastor left shortly after we joined), at the request of the fellowship we helped lead the Church for over a year, the local superintendent appointed a new pastor (this was despite the church's request that I be appointed Pastor) - the new pastor requested our resignation from the pulpit :(

That was over ten years ago - & it has taken us a LONG time to recover from it

Over the years I have completed Bible College by correspondence, conferences & 'shadowing' other pastors

I am now working for a Christian Charity The BOAZ Trust (www.boaztrust.org.uk) working with destitute asylum seekers here in Manchester (UK) & we have seen four muslims become Christians in the past year PTL!

At the moment we are in a church (we have moved over 300 miles away from the previous Baptist Church - which incidentally is now struggling with a falling membership) where the leader takes the lion's share of teaching (almost only allowing outside speakers to preach) - whilst making it known he doesn't like others to preach around in other churches - but it is a good church although this leader as the previous 'problem pastor' was imposed on us

Through doing this lesson I have felt God recall me to church leadership (it has been a painful experience) & I intend to follow through as He leads :)

Whoever reads this please pray for me for strength & provision :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

YES, I have begun something and then stopped. NO, God did not want me to stop. YES, it is time to renew that obedience and I have. Praise God, I have been delievered from the bondage I was in and I am now walking closer with the Lord than before. Our God is a true and fatihful God, He is a loving and caring God, He will never leave nor forsake us. He has taught me so much in the last five months and He is stil teaching me. My heart's desire is to have a closer walk with the Lord than I have ever experinenced before.

YES, I have begun something and stopped. NO, the Lord did not tell me to stop. YES, I have renewed my obedience to Christ and I am walking closer with Him than before. He has delievered me from a bondage where I thought God would not use me for His services. My heart's desire is to have a closer walk with the Lord than I have ever had before. Now, I can have that relationship because I know my Lord does care for me. He has taught me so much in the last five months and He is still teaching me. We serve an AWESOME GOD. He is a caring and loving God, He is a true and faithful God, He is an on time God. He cares about every thing we do, say, that troubles us. He wants to have fellowship with us, His children.

Q1.Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again?

In college I was the assistant college minister and had begun to feal led into a full time college minister but I never did. Due to circumstance in the church I choose to step down as the assistant college minister and not pursue becoming a minister of any type. I believe God did want me to stop. I am curently able in my current profession to go into countries a minister would never be allowed. I do not believe that I was disobedient to Gods leading.

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again?

In 1992-1993, I felt led to work with people coming out of the occult. I was a fairly new believer (although I had been raised in church and had "head knowledge") I think the Lord was using some of my personal experiences to minister to others. I was attending a Southern Baptist church which happened to have 2 members involved in this type of ministry... so, the opportunity met the desire in my heart and I think that was a definite "God thing". I learned a great deal about faith during my 1yr. involvement, but stopped my involvement at the recommendation of my mentors due to some bad circumstances. I do believe it was God's timing for me to stop and am thankful that He protected me during the my time there.

Currently, my husband and I are teaching overseas. He had wanted to go abroad before we were married... I was willing, but it took God 12yr. to turn my "willingness" into a "desire". We moved here (Hong Kong) in July and it has not been at all what either of us expected. Jobs are what we thought, kids had very difficult time adjusting, it has been very difficult to make connections with people, etc... I find myself thinking, "Why???" alot, but the only answer I have gotten is, "... because". I want to stop and am no longer clear about a "calling to go overseas". Was this simply a walk of obedience? Do we leave for now and come back at a later time? What does He want me learn from this experience?

I have struggled with these questions for many months and have grown tired of questioning. I am now at peace about leaving when our teaching contracts are over, as I believe it is best for our children. At the same time, I wonder about the future... will we return overseas someday? I am willing to go again- His timing!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have begun something and then stopped. No, God did not want me to stop. Yes, Praise God, I have renewed my obedience and I am closer to the Lord than ever before. He has showed me to keep my eyes on Him and not on the circumstance. He is the answer to ALL our problems and situtation's. Trust Him!

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will

As a born again believer there is a lot that I have to do for my Lord when He saved from the bondage of sin.

There is this great Commission Our Lord Jesus Christ gave us, and for for sure I have to confess that, there is very little that I have done in that area. We always think that it is the Pastors and Ministers it the Gospel who are to preach the Word.

It is my prayer that God will help me in this area so that I can witness for Him in my place of work, my family and everywhere I can.

• 1 month later...

I have always loved teaching and sharing God's Word. I was asked to do a Bible study class on the internet with a ladies group, and did so for about a year. Due to family problems and acquiring temporary custody of my two grandchildren (15 months and 7 years), I found my time tied up so much, not allowing me the freedom to continue this class. I have felt such a void that I wanted to take this class just to draw closer to the Lord, digging into His Word, to keep me encouraged in Him. At this time, I don't feel I can take on this load again. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God lead me 3 years ago to start an in home Bible Study for women. During those 3 years we have seen many women come and go and sometimes it was only 3-4 women but I have come to find that even if it was just me there; the whole purpose is to study God's Word and to apply it to everyday life and i need that just as much as the other women, so it never lacked purpose. When we were small in numbers I know God had who needed the lessons there. We have taken a break the last 2 months due to family issues and vacation and death, but i miss it and so do the other women and this break has made us realize how hungry we are for the Word and also the encouragement that is offer to one another.

I would like to encourage you, that if you have been on a "break" and your not feeling the hunger for what God laid on your heart.....PRAY!!! God hasn't moved.....have you?

• 4 weeks later...

For many, many years I had this urge to talk to people, telling them about the wonderful things God shares with me. I've been dreaming about doing so, but told myself it was out of the flesh [this desire to do so]. Recently a prophet of God urged me to do what God has called me for - to teach the people of this world! What a wonderful God we serve! :lol:

Yes, God called me long ago to teach, and that is what I've been doing all my life. Except - I've been a teacher at a government school, NOT a teacher of the world.

God has now 'renewed' my calling and I know this is what I have to do. I have to teach the world of what He is going to source into my life, my mind, my being.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped?

There have been times I thought God was urging me and I would "go with the flow" so to speak. When the outcome was not what I thought it would be, or circumstances made it seem impossible to continue... then I would wonder if it was God after all.

Did God want you to stop?

Not sure.

Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again? (Don't take this question lightly. Sometimes circumstances prevent us from doing what we once felt God wanted us to do. However, he is able to redirect you into his will for you now. Seek him diligently to learn his will.)

I try to keep myself alert and ready to hear God's will.

• 7 months later...

yes i am guilty of starting and stopping, i can give lots of reasons really they are all excuses...lol. i stopped because of fear of failure a battle within myself (you know living up to God's expectation of me- He said greater works...Whoa) but i feel ready to begin again. my prayer is that God helps my unbelief.

• 1 month later...

I have turned back to Jesus after almost 30 years of ignoring him and following my own path. During that 30 year period I have wandered very far away from Him not only ignoring Him but denying Him. Amazingly, when I turned back 2 months ago, He was still there and when I turned to Him, he did not turn away as I had done to Him but welcomed me. Isn't that amazing? Now I feel very strongly that God is calling me to serve Him, but I don't know in what way. Every day I offer myself to God as His servant to use me and I really want to move forward with His plan whatever that might be, but how can I begin until I know what I am beginning on? Reading about Abraham has helped me understand this more. Abraham stepped out in faith not knowing where he was going, but knowing that God was sending him. Maybe I have already started down the journey by offering myself and by starting down the path of searching for God's will. I just pray that I have the courage and faith of Abraham as God's path opens out before me.

I felt like I was a pew warmer and I kept asking what He wanted me to do, it seems that He wanted me to work with the children. I had a Sunday School class for a while and then I was asked if I wanted to work with the children on Wednesday nights which I did for a while. I decided that I didn't want to do that after 2 or 3 years. I really feel God wants me to work in some way with the children. I feel I shouldn't have quit and I really missed being with the children. I really felt that I let God down. I now have been ask if I could help with keeping the books for the Sunday School and fill in where needed when one of the teachers couldn't be there. I love it. God is so good. I am still working with the children but in a different way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always felt lead to preach and minister, some years ago I had many opportunities to do so and used the opportunities to Gods glory.

Unfortunately there is always a BUT!, this is my but, I got caught up in making a living, I wanted to do things at my time and allotted time for Jesus. It could never work and did not work, I suffered because of this and my walk with the LOrd also suffered.

The Lord is good and faithful He has never left me. I pray that I can continue to glorify Him in all that I do, I pray for the opportunities to return to glorify Him in ministry.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (11:32) Have you ever begun something in response to God's urging and then stopped? Did God want you to stop? Is it time now to renew your obedience and begin again?

I am what is known as a late bloomer. It seems to me that I have begun many things at God's urging and then stopped, largely due to my own spiritual immaturity. Two such things are career (I am a teacher) and marriage. I do not pretend to know the mind of God,but I will hazard that He must have wanted me to stop to grow in Spirit so I could continue the journey prepared and with a full and Godly purpose.

I will pray every day, as often as I can to renew my obedience and begin again. I am encouraged by Abraham's story, and his obedience to God.

Thank you Pastor Ralph, and you, Lord, for this study and these questions.