JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Basis of Intercession

I think that the ground that Abraham so boldly addressed God is that God expected him to be righteous and so Abraham also expected God to be righteous. God expects the same from us because we have been called into God’s kingdom and we are to be just and righteous. I think that Abraham’s intercession pleased God because He likes for us to come to him when we are in trouble so He can help us.

I think that God wants us to talk to him and when we do that pleases him.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

Abraham boldly addresses God based upon God's righteousness and justness.  The writer of Hebrews encourages us to come boldly to the throne of God because Jesus Christ is our mediator. 

Abraham's intercession pleased God because Abraham understood God and based his intercessory prayer upon that understanding.  Our prayers should also reflect an understanding of God.

• 2 years later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?  Abraham's motive is his intercession on behalf of Lot/Sodom.  He must make his appeal for the "Lord to change His mind/judgment."

Do you think God desires us to do the same?  Yes.

Why or why not?  Obligation.

Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God?  It probably was just how bold/nerve Abraham was in his appeal.  Since "Yahweh is the righteous and hold God! He can be trusted to do what is right."  Abraham had to have known that "God can work out his will and purpose in many ways."  Abraham was "bold," and "persistent," in his appeal; it worked.

What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?  I must be "bold, persistent, prevailing prayer, based on his promises and character."

• 3 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

Abraham boldly addresses God because he knows that God desires us to be honest and just. Surely he wanted to see if God perhaps lived by the same laws he required of us.

God desires us, his followers to be as he is, holy, just and merciful.

It pleased God to see that Abraham was persistent in his questioning of God's judgement, it shows Abraham was also concerned for the righteousness of God that the right ones perish not with the wicked.

It takes persistent prayer to please God because it shows our perseverance in faith that he will answer. believe me, being persistent in prayers for others or for ourselves will be answered, he will not ignore our request, of course this must be according to his will.    

4.) Jose and Pressthrough had soime great insight on these question. I can't add much, just Scripture: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7-8; Luke 11:9-10) Also, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22) And: "And I will do what ever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." (John 14:13) 'Nuff said! laugh.gif

We have to remember, God & Abraham had a level of intimacy that no one else had; God called Abraham "His friend", and because of this relationship it allowed Abraham to be himself and to press God and approach God in ways that some people today don't/can't/won't do.  I agree that if "i believe I will receive," and "I will do whatever you ask for in My name", but it has to be coming from a place of righteousness, an abiding in Him, so to speak.

• 3 years later...

If Abraham interceded before God, it was because God had put in Abraham the spirit of intercession. Because of Abraham’s walk with the Lord, he knew the character of God. He says that the Judge of all the earth to do right. And He did what was right. Even though Sodom and Gomorrah was worthy of destruction, which He destroyed. He saved the righteous Lot because of Abraham’s intercession. That shows that God was pleased with Abraham’s intercession.

To please God, we need to pray His word to Him. Bible says that He has exalted His word above His name. His word is unchanging and immutable. James 4:3 says when we pray we do receive, because we ask wrongly to spend it on our passions. So if we ask Him according to His word and according to His nature, He will answer our prayers.

• 6 months later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

I believe it is because Abraham knew God personally and also knew that God would answer his prayers and intercede on his behalf as well. He also knew that God was both righteous and just and would only do things that are in accordance with His will. Yes because He loves us and wants what is best for us. Yes because He knew that Abraham was praying according to His will and Abraham was learning to pray that way and God was pleased with him. It will take us learning to obey Him both in our prayers and in deed and also learning to pray according to His word. Learning more about God's character and word. 

• 1 year later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?

God had just spoken to Abraham and encouraged him to "...  do what is right and just..." Based on this Abraham now pleads for the righteous in Sodom. He knows that there are not many but hopes to save his nephew. With the way he intercedes one notices the uncertainty of Abraham that there are many righteous people. 

Do you think God desires us to do the same?

Yes, I do. God is still the same today. He expected it of Abraham and expects the same of us. 

Why or why not?

See above

Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God?

Abraham was revealing his trust in God. He did not give up on his nephew. He showed that he gave all to God to do what was just. He pleaded but it was ultimately up to God. 

What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

We too need to trust God and bring our requests before Him, knowing He is just. We can bring all before Him. I think that pleases Him

• 1 year later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

This is incredibly helpful to me. I have often wondered why we bother to ask God to do anything when He has perfect foreknowledge, a plan in place, and never changes. Here, I learn that He does change, not essentially, but in His will. The best part is that I can beg Him for change.

I have not looked up the other verses given in the three points about what God was teaching Abraham but will do so now. I hope and pray that these other verses show places where God seemed to respond to prayers to change His mind.

The assumption I make is that the God relates to me the same way He related to Abraham, that His nature is so consistent that I can depend on Him to be what He was ... now. So His unchanging nature is the ground that I have to approach God to beg Him to do for me what He did for Abraham.

I have no idea if this is what God desires of me, but it is what I'll do until shown otherwise.

I have no idea if my prayers please God. I hope so. The assumption is that God likes our communication and love for Him, but perhaps we're anthropomorphizing God, making Him like us. I would like to please Him in prayer, but am afraid that this may mean I never ask for anything, just speak to Him my praise and thanksgiving.