JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The promise it that God WILL give us 'wisdom' when we ask for it; the only condition is that there be NO doubt that God WILL give us that wisdom. He keeps His promises.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

In James 1:15, the promise for us is wisdom if we ask without any doubt in our mind. He is faithful to give it to us.

The condition in verse 6 is that when we pray and ask for wisdom, we must believe and not doubt. If we doubt we are double minded, thinking the Lord will not give us the request we prayed for.

Trails in our life helps us to understand the sin that still remains in our life. They help by showing the areas in our character that we need to repent of. By allowing the Lord to refine our character he brings us to a clearer commitment of our faith.     

• 1 year later...

Verse 1:5 says,” If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”- James 1:5 (ESV); here we can claim commendable prayers for wisdom will be answered however, verse 6 conditions this prayer, “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.”- James 1:6 (ESV). We must ask for wisdom without doubt. Though as human beings we tend to ask for knowledge, wisdom allows maturity in faith, taking what is known and making the best decision. We must trust God wholeheartedly. Trials bring out issues and many ways, good or bad, with which to answer, therefore we cry out for help of discernment, which way? We need wisdom to make the Godly choice.

• 9 months later...

For me, for us to receive the promise we must ask for it. We do not only ask for it verbally but through our actions. It is more like children. We are to be like children whom we know they have learned something when they ask for assistance and start doing what is expected of them.

Without having experienced certain challenges it is not easy to understand that we are not responsible for our living. Trials bring us closer to God and I believe our faith grows in the process.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The promise is that we will receive wisdom if we ask God for it. The condition to this promise is that we must ask believing that He will do it.. WE can not doubt, otherwise we will be like a ship being tossed by the wind and will be called double minded!

Trials are the things in life that help us to grow!  It gives us experience to use the principles of God that we knnow.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Wisdom
  • 4 weeks later...

God will provide wisdom if you ask without finding fault. If you ask-beliebe and do not doubt. Trials help because they put you in the storm to make you steer your ship with faith to reach the safe haven of Christ.

On 1/19/2005 at 4:33 PM, MyBeloved said:

The promise to claim in verse 5 is, that if we ask GOD for wisdom He will give it generously to all without finding fault.

The condition in verse 6 is that we must ask believing that we will recieve that for which we ask.

Trials help us receive this wisdom because we come to realize there is no other one that has the answer for us but GOD and Him alone.

I loved what MyBeloved said, exactly how I feel!

Q4. The promise to claim is Heavenly Wisdom which God gives generously without finding fault. The conditions attached are that we must be firm in our faith no double mindedness and no sin in our hearts. If we have any sin we will not hear God’s wisdom. Trial drive us to spend more time in God’s presence. Trial help us to realise just what is important and helps us to grow in Heavenly Wisdom. 

Doubting Thomas, here.

When I hear or read these passages in James my heart sinks because I know I'll always have some doubt. In my Christian life there has never been a moment when my faith was completely pure, whole-hearted, absolute, committed, single-minded, sinless ... without doubt, that is.

Is it even possible to be mature enough to pray without a smidgeon of doubt?

--

Pastor Ralph put forth three ideas and asked us to connect them --

1) the promise to be given wisdom, without fault, for the asking,

2) the condition or prerequisite, that our asking must be doubtless

3) and the means of getting that doubtlessness, which is via trials, during which our asking is honed and intensified.

--

I don't often beg for wisdom until I need it. Thus, trials precede asking for wisdom. When I need his solution and am desperate for it, my prayers are more intense, focused and unwavering. I have a goal, after all, which is to get through the suffering or trial. Still, my mind never completely stands still ... there's always self-consciousness or wavering. Always doubt.

If it is the case that prayers have to be doubtless, God will not answer my prayers. Thus, that little clause, "without finding fault," could be crucial.

Does God not see the fault in us? This can't be the case because in this passage, he's pointing out doubt as the sin he won't tolerate -- he sees doubt! 

Perhaps our motives are pretty good, but even motives are not completely unmixed. NOTHING we do, think or pray is untinged by selfishness and sin. So, how can we claim this promise? Yes, the blood of Christ blinds God to my sin, but that's not what's at issue here -- we're not talking about salvation, but sanctification.

In my very limited understanding, the promise (to be given wisdom if there is no doubt when asking) seems to hinge on the meaning of the phrase "without finding fault."

On 12/18/2004 at 12:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (James 1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Promise is that if we want wisdom from God, and we ask in faith and trusting Him, without doubting His giving, then He would generously give it to us. But the condition is that our conscience and our hearts should be clear and we should be confident that being a true child of God if we ask anything form our father, without doubting Him, he will give what we need. What we need and ask from God has things attached like timing. God knows when we require what the most and He will give us in His time. We may have to wait. 

During trials, in times of our hopelessness, by not depending on ourselves but on God is the way to go. He will provide His people to take us out of the pit, provide tangible solutions, as well as refine our spiritual being. Asking His wisdom during this time is special as when we are broken, He is the one we call out first. His children more than anything want wisdom during the hard times to discern things and grow from it. Though we may become doubleminded and doubt, but coming out of that period and letting God work in us and fill with His wisdom is awesome to glorify His name during our trials. 

Q4. (James 1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

The promise to claim in verse 5 is that if we lack wisdom, we should ask God.

We should ask without doubt. Any prayer we make, we should ask with faith without doubt. 

Trials bring us to Jesus and our Lord God would bless us with wisdom.

If you ask for wisdom is will be given to you. If you ask for this you must ask in faith, and not got back in forth with doubt (tossed like in water). Our trials help us receive wisdom because to be put through a trial and come out on the other end you have perspective and this is by God. 

On 12/17/2004 at 10:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

James 1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

If any of you lack wisdom ( that’s me!) he should ask God…

Have I ever used that promise!

The bills have to paid and there is not enough money….and He showed me what to do.

Raising children sometimes is very difficult; what should I do? He either changed the question for me, and then the answer was easy, or popped an answer in my mind.

I don’t know what to make for dinner; He guided me and the meal was sufficient.

and even…I play Words with Friends with my husband. I ask for wisdom when I cannot find a word, and He has given wisdom.

The other day I was digging out a weed, but the root was too big. What should I do, Father? As soon as the quiet knowing comes, doubt speaks too. That won’t work! Ignore the louder voice, and try. And now I can praise Him for being there for me!

of course, if I was wise, if I didn’t have these problems, then I would never have His help. 

On 5/17/2022 at 7:23 AM, Krissi said:

In my very limited understanding, the promise (to be given wisdom if there is no doubt when asking) seems to hinge on the meaning of the phrase "without finding fault."

Without finding fault…God doesn’t criticize you for not knowing what to do, or for your sins that got you into the mess; you ask for wisdom, He will give it.

I have had so many times that He has helped me! The “without doubt”….think about that as action, not feelings. ie Father, I think You want me to do this, so if I am wrong, You will have to take care of it.

Jesus gave doubting Thomas what he needed to believe, and He will give you what you need too! We all have our problems in living out our faith; God grant you wisdom about how to live His way, in your life.

I had answered Questions 1-3 before I realized that I had not signed in lol.

The promised claimed in verse 5 is that is I lack wisdom that I can ask God and God will give me the wisdom I need win order to accomplish what I could not otherwise without Him. He would give it to me without reservations or to hold back any good thing from me.

Q4. (James 1:5-8)

What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

If we need wisdom we can ask God, Who gives wisdom without finding fault in us (without reasoning, but you got yourself in this mess, so get yourself out of it).  What's more is, He gives GENEROUSLY.

The condition is, that we must believe and not doubt.   Doubting is described like a wave of the sea, which is tossed about by the wind.    So then even if we do have the answer, there is uncertainty and the odds are weighed up and still no certainty about what to do, or which direction to follow, because the "wave" condition is not standing still but fluctuates all the time and uncertainty rules.

Trials very often bring us to the point where ALL is laid out on the table and we come to the point where we indeed give doubts and fears and whatever sins are in the way to the LORD and ask Him to take over. We ask Him then for wisdom to handle the situation and to help us in it and finally to help us out of it.

(James 1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

The promise is that God will give generously to all without finding fault.

The condition is that we must ask with clear commitment and faith.

Trails help us to recognize our faults and make better decisions.  They are leading you towards God's wholeness

Q4. (1:5-8) 
What is the promise to claim in verse 5? 
We are promised that we can obtain wisdom to endure trials joyfully, all we need to do is ask and it will be given generously. We all lack wisdom during these times but we do not always see our need to ask God. We sometimes forget that we don’t have to face these trials on our own, and that we need to turn to our Heavenly Father for help knowing that He loves and cares for us. We can ask Him how to understand this trial from His perspective; what is God’s purpose; how to get through this trial; how can these trials help us grow in maturity? We cannot have faith and at the same time doubt.
When we have faith we don’t doubt, and when we doubt we have no faith. We read in Heb 11:6, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him”. 
Faith not only believes that God exists, but it also trusts Him to reward those who diligently seek Him. Whenever we need wisdom, we can pray to God, and He will generously supply what we need. Christians don't have to grope around in the dark, hoping to stumble upon answers. We can ask for God's wisdom to guide our choices. The wisdom we receive will enable us to live obediently in the midst of trials. We remain focused trusting in the LORD with all our heart and not leaning on our own understanding; in all our ways acknowledging Him, and He will make our paths straight (Prov 3:5-6). And at the same time: “He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD (Psalm 112:7). 

On 12/17/2004 at 1:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Wisdom from God.  We must ask for it.

We should believe and doubt not.

When we make mistakes, we realize that we need to obey God and not our own desires.  Receiving God's wisdom He helps us through our trials and when we obey we become stronger in Him and grow.

Q4. (James 1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? It is the promise of wisdom that we will receive if we ask God. What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? We shall receive the wisdom if we ask for it with such faith in God that He sees no conflict with His will for us in our hearts. How do trials help us receive this wisdom? Trials help us reach the point of hopelessness where we are convinced of the futility of our efforts to do it on our own strength and therefore turn to God with full repentance and ask for the wisdom that is of Christ in nature.

God will give us the wisdom we ask for if we do not doubt and have faith and are committed to what we ask. I am in trials right now and God only has the answers. He is drawing me back to a closer relationship with Him through the still voice within - His Holy Spirit, God is seeking my good, not failure or downfall.

If we lack wisdom, we should ask God who gives generously. We should however have faith and should  not doubt in order to receive.

Trials helps receive God’s promises when and if in the mid of the trials we come to ourselves, trace where we have gone astray and turn to the Lord in confession and repentance. At this point of home coming, he will hear and answer our petitions.