JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q12. Mercy Triumphs

By way of showing regard toward the wealthy is denial of mercy is that we are trying to show favoritism toward them and therefore we rejecting those that are poorer. God wants us to show that we love His people and if that takes not sacrificing things to him that is better than not showing mercy but we should be doing both.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/2/2005 at 6:20 AM, Rachel said:

In denying anyone of mercy, because of their position, we are being judgemental and not merciful. In the Beatitudes Jesus tells us that the "merciful will obtain mercy." One of the actions God condemns in us is that of being judgemental. But one of God's requirement of us is that we should 'love mercy.'

Mercy triumphs over judgement in that in being merciful we are demonstrating God's love in us. We should always remember that it is through God's grace and mercy, in Christ Jesus, that we are heirs of eternal life. By his death and resurrection, we have gained the victory. It stands to reason, therefore, that as we everyday receive mercy from God's hands, we should show mercy to others.

Mercy is a powerful condition of the heart - a purifying and redeeming agent. It works both ways. In showing mercy, we also receive mercy. It is a win win situation, my friends . Thanks be to God!

I love this answer and it fits perfectly here in this chapter. We have been talking about judgmentalism and as Rachel says, when we deny mercy to the poor but give it to the rich we are judging. Again, Rachel nails it with her statement: in showing mercy we also receive mercy. Win win! Yes! 

Interesting that this topic keeps coming up...my mother had this gift. Her heart was always available to offer rides, help, just gifts of "being there" to those in need. 
Praying that today I might have this gift to those who are hurting and in need of God's mercy. 

Gaye