JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q26. Comfort and Luxury

Q2. (5:5-6) What is the spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury? The danger lies in thinking we deserve the comforts/luxuries--God is gracious and allows us to have creature comforts, even luxuries. However, all these will ultimately be destroyed--they should be held very lightly--enjoyed, but not worshiped!!

Extra credit: How might our demand for low-priced goods and services cause us to (1) oppress our own employees or (2) cause workers in this country or abroad to be under paid or oppressed? Employers meet the demand for low prices not by cutting their profit margin but by cutting employee wages/benefits--this then, is an abridgement of the "royal law"--Love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others as you would be done by.

How does all this relate to the need for patience?

We need to understand that we do not need things "right now!" we can wait or do without!! There was a motto during WWII that might be good to remember: Use it up, make it do or do without!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comfort and luxury become our 'god'. We want more and more in worldly goods and less and less time for our Saviour. Our Will becomes more important than the will that God has set us to do.

The more the wealthy can obtain `` the less the workers seem to strive for. Unions, although , having good qualities are helping the poor become poorer and the rich richer. Their high wages causes the stores to increase thier prices ~ making the man on a lower or minimum wage fall further behind . Government , too, is part of this vicious circle.

• 3 weeks later...

Spiritual danger is over-indulgence - leading to selfishness, our will over Gods will. We can enjoy comfort if God wills it.

Demand for low price as such is not bad. It forces everyone to avoid waste - true capitalist :-)

What is wrong is unfair practices taking advantage of ignorance of employees - rather than paying them their true worth in the market or encouraging them to take on new positions of responsibility allowing them to earn more.

• 1 month later...

Self-indulgent life-styles leads to decay and destruction. The folly is placing our trust in wealth which will be worthless on the Day of Judgment. It is easy to condemn the rich, but we need to ask ourselves where we are putting our confidence and trust for the days ahead. Do we confidently place our trust in the Social Security and retirement programs of our country, or government agencies, or in the Lord? Yes, I agree, we should make reasonable plans for the future if God permits us to live that long. But as many can testify these treasures can vanish in a moment, and your life is only a breath away. The coming reversal of fortunes will take place when Christ returns. Enjoy your privileges, possessions, popularity and power now because a day is coming when God will judge. James is so confident that he speaks of it as if this day had already taken place. We should probably take a cue from James and consider it as such, also, so we don

• 3 months later...

I THINK THE SPIRITUAL DANGER OF OUR DEMAND FOR COMFORT AND LUXURY IS THAT WE CAN BECOME SIDETRACKED INTO THINKING WE'VE MADE IT OR WE'VE ARRIVED AS CHRISTIANS. WE CAN BECOME HIGHMINDED AND THINK THAT WE'RE BETTER THAN CHRISTIANS WHO ARE POOR.IN DOING SO,OUR CONNECTION IS WITH OUR WEALTH AND NOT RELIANCE ON GOD. BEFORE LONG, WEALTH CAN BECOME OUR GOD AND PROSPERITY BECOMES THE RULE BY WHICH WE MEASURE SUCCESS AS A CHRISTIAN.

OUR DEMAND FOR LOW PRICED GOODS AND SERVICES CAN LEAD TO OPPRESSION AND CRUELTY TOWARD THOSE WHO WORK FOR US.SO MANY ARE PAID JUST THE MINIMUM WAGE TO DO A MULTITUDE OF TASKS ON THE JOB.PEOPLE IN THE WORKPLACE TODAY ARE TREATED POORLY IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THE LOW PRICES WE PAY. BUT IT IS SO VERY WRONG.I'D MUCH RATHER PAY HIGH PRICES OR DO WITHOUT WHEN I REALISE THE CRUELTY THESE LABORERS ENDURE HERE OR ABROAD.WE NEED TO REMEMBER THEY HAVE FAMILIES ALSO TO TAKE CARE OF AND THEY'RE HUMAN BEINGS AND NOT MACHINES.TOO MANY MANUFACTURERS TODAY ARE GREEDY AND SELFISH.

WE NEED TO WAIT ON GOD AND RELY ON HIM TO HELP US MEET ALL OUR NEEDS, BE IT FINANCIAL OR OTHERWISE.WE WANT EVERYTHING RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. NOT SO , ACCORDING TO THE LORD.PATIENCE HAS TO BE WORKED IN US IN ORDER TO MATURE AS CHRISTIANS..GOD BLESS..

• 1 month later...

The danger is that we will see these things, comfort and luxury as necessary requirements to our lives. Our demand for low priced goods can lead to other people being expolited because at the end of the day one of the main components of production is the wages bill. Unscrupulous employers can drive wages down in order to generate even greater profit.

• 4 weeks later...

When we put comfort and luxury first we have taken our eyes of Jesus, and when this happens we set ourselves up for distruction.

God said that he would supply all our needs, and not to worry about tomorrow as tomorrow will take care of itself.

I believe we need to have more Faith, and to trust our Heavenly Father take Him at His word, for His word is truth.

THANK YOU JESUS FOR YOUR WORD, AMEN. :lol:

• 11 months later...

The Spirit and the flesh are opposed to one another so if we try to heap the world's pleasures upon ourselves we cannot possibly be in the Spirit and we become dead, spiritually.

By trying to obtain the best for less we force manufacturers to cut corners. That has forced US jobs overseas resulting in unfair labor practices in countries that do not have labor sensitive laws in place. The result slave labor wages and oppression to 3rd world workers. Those jobs that do remain here usually go to migrant works who are paid below minimum wage with no protection from injury or sickness.

If we are patient in our needs the Lord will provide. I said needs, not wants.

• 2 months later...
Q2. (5:5-6) What is the spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury? Extra credit: How might our demand for low-priced goods and services cause us to (1) oppress our own employees or (2) cause workers in this country or abroad to be under paid or oppressed? How does all this relate to the need for patience?

The spiritual danger is that of selfishness. ME ME ME. What I want, When I want, How I want, and Where I want. We become consumed by our own lusts and desires. Consumed by self.

If we are unwilling to pay fair prices for the goods and services we receive, then we cause a trickle down effect of taking away from those who have supplied us with these goods. Each person involved directly or indirectly is affected. That is part of the reason that so many of our industries have gone off shore.

I think all this relates to the need for patience because we have become accustomed to a microwave world. We will put a potatoe in a microwave and fuss if its not done in 5 minutes or less. We don't want to wait for any thing. If we want it - we wanted it yesterday and today is too late. What I want, When I want it

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Q2. (5:5-6) What is the spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury? Extra credit: How might our demand for low-priced goods and services cause us to (1) oppress our own employees or (2) cause workers in this country or abroad to be under paid or oppressed? How does all this relate to the need for patience?
We may think we are lving in the grace of God because of our comfor and lu xury, but we are n ot prepared for a n y difficulty that comes our way. Low pricing means less employment , lower wages even tho greater demand. More jobs go to other countris meaning less workers needed in ur own country. Other workers in other countries work under hardships. lower wages and poor conditions. We need exta amount of patien ce living through those distressing times. China is a good example.

• 3 weeks later...

A) Spiritual dangers is when we demand that we have something. God does want us to have nice things but we should not let luxury and comfort come before God.

B) By not furnishing the things employees need to do a good and proper job can cause oppression.

C) When employers make cheap things that would be sent out of the country can cause oppression.

D) God will supply our needs. We just have to be patient and wait upon the Lord.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (5:5-6) What is the spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury?

The spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury is not being satisfied with God's Will for our lives. Dissatisfaction with what you have and a desire for more comfort and luxury might lead you away from seeking after spiritual things and turn you toward seeking after material things.

Extra credit: How might our demand for low-priced goods and services cause us to (1) oppress our own employees or (2) cause workers in this country or abroad to be under paid or oppressed?

Our demand for low-priced goods and services might cause us to withhold from our own employees the renumeration that they deserve. This can cause local workers and those abroad also to be paid less than they are worth.

How does all this relate to the need for patience?

If we would be satisfied with what we have and patiently wait for God's timing to increase our comfort and luxury levels then we would avoid opressing others to get what we want.

• 2 months later...

Our demand for comfort and luxury distracts us from giving, fellowshipping, and ministering to others. We are more focused on ourselves than on the church and others. This gets in the way of practicing the Royal Law.

The demand for low-prices goods and services means cutting the over-head, i.e. lower wages, poor health plans, no overtime pay, fewer promotions and pay raises, etc. for employees in this country and overseas. People are used as just another resource to make corporations and indiviudals rich and richer. Wealth, power and greed are reflected in companies like Wal-Mart.

Our society doesn't save for things and has decided to "duel income it" to paid for the luxury items it wants right away. Our society has lost the patience the World War II generation had in building and planning a life.

• 4 months later...

The trouble is that what we take for granted in the west in our every day lives is luxury for 75% of the population of the earth. Clean running water for example. We felt hard done by here in Gloucester when the water supply failed for a fortnight and we had to collect it from the end of the road.

Our constant demand for low priced goods, all year round has created a world that is divided between the haves and the have nots. Unfair international trade laws keep countries poor to keep us in comfort. (For example an african country can grow cocoa beans, but cannot export chocolate to Europe. The beans have to be bought at a low price and then sold back as chocolate as vastly increased prices.) In the UK today we pride ourselves on our values; that there is no child exploitation, or slave labour, or extreme poverty used to service our needs. However all we have succeeded in doing is exporting poverty and we are even more guilty of it than we were 100 years ago; we just dont have to look at it on our doorsteps.

This relates to the need for patience by the way we behave in our every day lives. Perhaps taking 10 mins to walk to the shop would save some pollution. Or taking time to investigate exactly what the conditions of the workers are like for the producers of some of our main branded goods and the condition that animals are kept in by the mass meat markets. Then DOING something about it. "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

• 3 weeks later...

When we demand comfort and luxury we put ourselves and our needs first then push God to one side. God's will is that we don't oppress the poor and if we take heed for our own lifes only and igorte the needs of the poor, we are committing sins of ommission.

Our demand for low priced goods and services means that for those who can afford it, their demands for these luxuries will become more prevalent and therefore the need for low paid workers in miserable conditions will be increased. The poor will be downtrodded repeatedly. it is God's command that we pay our workwers well for a days work, not underpay them or withold money from them. Workers will become oppressed because the wealthy and greedy have a loud voice. Money talks. The poor have a voice but no-one listens to them. They will always live below the poverty line. This is in conflict with God's Word where we are to look after the poor and oppressed.

This all relates to the need for our patience because if we put others first, then ourselves, we will be more open to their cause. If we put God above all, we will hear His voice through His Word and do everything in our power to have faith and works, in other words, pray for them but also do the practical things to ease their misery and poverty. Humbling ourselves before Goid, teaches us patience.

When we demand comfort and luxury we put ourselves and our needs first then push God to one side. God's will is that we don't oppress the poor and if we take heed for our own lifes only and igorte the needs of the poor, we are committing sins of ommission.

Our demand for low priced goods and services means that for those who can afford it, their demands for these luxuries will become more prevalent and therefore the need for low paid workers in miserable conditions will be increased. The poor will be downtrodded repeatedly. it is God's command that we pay our workwers well for a days work, not underpay them or withold money from them. Workers will become oppressed because the wealthy and greedy have a loud voice. Money talks. The poor have a voice but no-one listens to them. They will always live below the poverty line. This is in conflict with God's Word where we are to look after the poor and oppressed.

This all relates to the need for our patience because if we put others first, then ourselves, we will be more open to their cause. If we put God above all, we will hear His voice through His Word and do everything in our power to have faith and works, in other words, pray for them but also do the practical things to ease their misery and poverty. Humbling ourselves before God, teaches us patience.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (5:5-6) What is the spiritual danger of our demand for comfort and luxury?

Our demand for comfort and luxury makes to have the craving to achieve those at the expense of others..We forsake our spiritual duties like showing mercy, being loving and the sowing peace..All we care about will be the comforts..

How might our demand for low-priced goods and services cause us to (1) oppress our own employees or (2) cause workers in this country or abroad to be under paid or oppressed? How does all this relate to the need for patience?

In our constant demand of low priced goods we do not care about how much the employees are paid..when the manufacturers lower the costs I dont think they will cut down their profit margin but they surely will cut the wages of the poor and oppress them..the patience s needed to wait for the justice to be served..

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When we demand comfort and luxury we become arrogant. We are the only one we care about. It's selfishness and greed that take over our lives. God is put aside. Our spiritual life goes down the drain. Until we get on the right track we are in for a sinful ride. Only God is our strength. Our prayers can open the eyes of anyone we see going in the wrong direction. God doesn't care if we have comfort and luxury, but He does care if they take His place in our lives. We must always remember He is #1.

Our demand for low priced goods and services causes employees to be under paid. The employers are not going to take a cut in pay. They are in business to make money and if the prices go down it's the employees that suffer. They may not be just under paid but terminated from their jobs. All people should get a fair wage for a fair days work and they shouldn't be punshed for public demands. We all must be patient and stand firm. These trials make us strong although when we go through them it's not pleasant. Patience is very hard to come by. In James 1:3 it tellls us, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

The demand for comfort and luxury can put us in danger of stepping away from the spirit of God, putting God second putting us first. If it is the Lords will we may get the comfort and luxury but they may be at a different time or place in our lives, at the Lords decision. He wants to be a part of our lives but that means we have to be patient, trusting and believing on the Lord. In Matthew 6 vs 19-21 tells us about laying up treasures on earth, and in vs 25 -31 tells us not to worry. In the last year alone our food in Canada has jumped in price considerably. Farmers have had to raise thier prices to even stay close to operating. Fuel keeps rising, Do I like it, of course not, but I find that God delivers me thru this, because I have come to trust in the Lord. I do not worry as I once did. Tything from the heart, and I have always found that you cannot out give God. Demanding lower prices might cause companies to close down or move to other countries where the work will be done much cheaper or less cost, the companies themselves are not hurting lets not kid ourselves, they go to those countries for thier own prosperities for we still pay a high cost for those items. What would a seamstress make here in Canada, 9.50 an hour I am guessing at that, compared to some one in China? Why is Bell Express, now Bell Tv, run out of India? Do not these companies that go afar have an obligation to thier own country and employees?Instead of grossing multy millions ,gross a little less. I would have to ask where is God on their board of directors, or has He been shoved aside for thier luxury and wealth?, You do not see the farmers moving away, no they stick it out, they are patient and are probably trusting in the Lord. I do not believe that it is us people that push companies to close doors or to move to other countries, I believe it is thier greed to make more money, to be the richest company, for if they remained here in north america they would pay more in wages etc, but gross less. There are some companies that stay home based and stay afloat. Patience is is a virtue, very important, in Luke 8 vs 14 15 tells of the ones who go out and are choked with cares, riches and pleasures of life and brings no fruit to maturity, but those who having heard the word with a noble and good heart keep it and bear friut with patience.

• 1 month later...
When things become more important then the Lord we are headed down the wrong path.

America has the Wal-Mart mentality. Price is the only consideration. Quality and value are not part of the equations. We should be thinking about jobs for our people. The Lord calls us to think of others before ourselves I sure he would think of outers befor profits.

Christianity is about doing good: Loving God and our neighbor as ourselves. If we seek comfort and luxury, the lure for wealth might become a path to destruction. Wealth itself is not evil. If earthly treasures become a goal, we may ignore the needs of others. It may even get to the point that we ignore how we gain such wealth. Hording wealth or saving it all for oneself is not of God. Rather we should seek to store up treasures in heaven. Storing up treasures for in heaven, for Jewish people, in Jesus day was giving alms to the poor which somewhat brings us back to loving our neighbors as ourselves.

People who are in charge and own large companies must ensure that their employees are treated justly and that profits relieve the suffering of the less fortunate if they want to store up heavenly treasures rather than store up earthly treasures which can be here today and gone tomorrow.

Other people, like me, might help cause profit seeking companies to seek ways to make more profit and provide us with lower costs by not providing their employees with rightful compensation. In this case, I feel that people like me must request affordable prices for goods and services, But we also must not purchase items produced at low cost by oppressing workers overseas and we must let companies know that we are not purchasing such because of the oppression. Simply not demanding cheaper products will not change this terrible system. If I wait to buy something at higher cost, it will change nothing. I believe this issue has more to do with greed than patience and to make change it will take more than one person. It must be the collected effort of today's church. It means ACTING... Something James seems to be wanting of the church of his day!

• 1 month later...

My heart's desire is to carefully use the money God gives me, especially if I can help others to grow. God is teaching me to show love to all. Sometimes my selfishness manifests itself, yet he is taking over, more and more. I love it, and love to give to those who need it. I'm happy to have bought Brenda and he kids clothing Saturday. It almost cost me nothing at Abba house. It was a triple blessing. Praise God for putting me into a position whee I can help others like this.

• 4 months later...

I really delight and agree with MAGNUS' views. As for me, we must learn to be considerate and merciful to others even though it is not wrong to strive for better life.