JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

Paul was writting a letter to the Philippians as the slave in Christ. He wanted to thank the believers for helping him when he had a need. He also wanted to tell them why he could be full of joy despite his imprisonment and upcoming trial. Paul counsel uplifting letter for the Philippians about humility and unity and warned them about potential problems.

He was not perfect or perfected, but dedicated, set apart to the service of God thus saint

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul is a disciple of Christ.  As a disciple, an analogy to a slave is made because  the slave knows what is expected of him and knows his master and will do what his master wants to please the master.  The disciple writes to the others who want to know what to do to please the master.  Secondly, as a slave to Christ he always belongs to Christ and is not free to come and go.  

The basic idea of slave is that Paul is solely committed to God and to do God's will for his life. The root idea of saint is being consecrated to God to be used for His service. In a Christian's relationship to God we have to be committed and dedicated to God in order to be able to do the service that he wants to do in our lives.

Q1. A slave is owned by his master, purchased from the market of slaves, and once bought is under bondage to serve his master , come what may.... He cannot refuse any duty given to him and is bound to do whatever his master tells him to do right or wrong , : he has no life of his own and is at the masters beck and call.

A saint on the other hand is one consecrated or set apart for God. He has his own mind and will but in all things he desires the work and plan of God He is made Holy and Righteous by bthe fact that he has accepted the Lord Jesus as his Lord and Master.

Both are more or less same in meaning where we are "slaves"of God because we are purchased by the Preciuos blood of Jesus by His death on the cross. But at that very instant we receive Him as our Lord we are made Righteous and Holy and set apart for His work. In the second word "Saint" you can backslide if you go on the wrong direction whereas a slave cannot change his master or loyalty

Both may mean the same if We are totally subservient to the Lord and wish to be committed to Jesus Christ. And when we put our faith in Jesus Christ we intend to lead a life dedicated to HIs will in total obedience.

The main idea of a slave is one that have being bought by another, and once purchased you now the property of the buyer. so the slave is committed to his / her master and committee to service, the service is one of compulsory, in which the slave has no choice in what aspect of the job he or she will do but is expected to do the will of the master

The root idea of a saint is one who is dedicated to to another. so in essence  both a slave and a saint differ but are the same, because a slave is dedicated to his or her master just as much as the saint.

Our relationship with God should stem from the same idea that we are bought by the blood of Jesus and we are consecrated or dedicated - set a part for God's Purpose. our whole live should be about serving our Lord and walking in obedience to His will and carry out the task he has called us to do.

which is serve and be the saint in Christ.  we have being consecrated to do God's will and a servant with only one master.

The two words have the same meaning to me as a servant of God, we should all have a serving heart and humble so God can use us for His will and complete our destiny 

Pre-salvation, my understanding of "slave" was from the American history and from Israel's history in Egypt - both cases involving coercion and brutal dominance, with the slave always watching out for any opportunity to break free!

Post-salvation I learnt of bond-slaves, who turn down freedom, to become voluntary or willing slaves to a master who they've found to be benevolent. I think Abraham's Eliezer might be an example here - he had no thoughts of escape when he was sent on an "errand" with a ten-camel strong, wealth laden caravan (Gen 15:3;24:10).

The difference between my pre and post salvation understanding is, as I've just learnt, a matter of who owns the slave. In the former, the masters used dehumanising methods to coerce the slaves to work and in the latter, the approach was different. Eliezer being the example - an opportunity for escape presented itself and the camels and the wealth they carried would've given him a cushy fresh start if he'd gone on walking! The fact that he went back and restored the remaining jewellery to Abraham's "bank vault" implies that his mind was made up that where he was was where he would die.

The picture painted by Paul's words give that idea, that though in chains, he's happily about his master's mission.

From Pst. Ralph's explanations, I find "saint" to be a synonym of "slave". At salvvsalvation, when we become the temple of Holy Spirit, we become New Creations. Even our nature changes. Where previously we belonged to the rogue angel, with his death-blood, salvation breaks us free from that and in-grafts us onto the true vine (Jhn 15:1). At that very moment, we are set-apart, made "saints". We are then owned by He whose "yoke is easy, and whose burden is light"! Like Peter and company (& Elisha), we leave all, and follow Him. Breaking free would be to return to that other one whose yoke & burden are on steroids!

Pre-salvation, my understanding of "slave" was from the American history and from Israel's history in Egypt - both cases involving coercion and brutal dominance, with the slave always watching out for any opportunity to break free!

Post-salvation I learnt of bond-slaves, who turn down freedom, to become voluntary or willing slaves to a master who they've found to be benevolent. I think Abraham's Eliezer might be an example here - he had no thoughts of escape when he was sent on an "errand" with a ten-camel strong, wealth laden caravan (Gen 15:3;24:10).

The difference between my pre and post salvation understanding is, as I've just learnt, a matter of who owns the slave. In the former, the masters used dehumanising methods to coerce the slaves to work and in the latter, the approach was different. Eliezer being the example - an opportunity for escape presented itself and the camels and the wealth they carried would've given him a cushy fresh start if he'd gone on walking! The fact that he went back and restored the remaining jewellery to Abraham's "bank vault" implies that his mind was made up that where he was was where he would die.

The picture painted by Paul's words give that idea, that though in chains, he's happily about his master's mission.

From Pst. Ralph's explanations, I find "saint" to be a synonym of "slave". At salvvsalvation, when we become the temple of Holy Spirit, we become New Creations. Even our nature changes. Where previously we belonged to the rogue angel, with his death-blood, salvation breaks us free from that and in-grafts us onto the true vine (Jhn 15:1). At that very moment, we are set-apart, made "saints". We are then owned by He whose "yoke is easy, and whose burden is light"! Like Peter and company (& Elisha), we leave all, and follow Him. Breaking free would be to return to that other one whose yoke & burden are on steroids!

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

Paul is using the Greek noun doulos for Slave.  In the U.S. because of slavery this idea seems contradictory to American mentality.  However, if we look back to Exodus 21:6 we see a different picture. It is the picture of a slave who loves his master and becomes a slave of that master for life.

Exodus 21: 6 ..."But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' 6then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently.

This is quite a different picture.  Serve God well and be treated fairly and beautifully rather than to try to make it out in the world alone. Who wouldn't want to be taken care of by God!  

Paul then says of those to whom he is writing that they are saints using the Greek term  hagios.  The beautiy of this is that we are made holy by the blood of Jesus.  Again, God in His mighty wisdom takes care of us.  We are set apart to be holy, saints, and thereby we can be slaves or servants for the most high. it is amazing!!

Slaves are committed to obediently serve their masters without question for life.

Saints are those those who are set apart and dedicated to serve the Lord.

We have been bought with the blood of Jesus. Therefore we belong to him. We are slaves to our Redeemer. We are saints through God's work of salvation and sanctification in us and set apart to serve him.

The basic idea of slave is that a person's life was bought by a price by his master and because of that he is obligated to serve him at all cost and any cost.

The root idea of a saint is that like us as Christian, we are chosen by God and was meant for his purpose, we are specially separated and sanctified for a holy purpose and not for worldly things. 

It is saying the same thing about  Christian relationship to God because like a slave and a saint, we are bought by God by a price and in that way we no longer owned our self but by God and we are to reserve this body for the service of the Lord for His glory and honor.

Basic idea of 'slave' that he is bound to his master, this slave is in a relationship to his master that only death can break.

Root idea of 'saint' is ' to set apart', therefore saints are believing sinners set apart from sin in holiness

Saying the same thing? As servants or slaves/saints of Jesus Christ we are in a bonded relationship never to be broken.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

Being a slave is to be owned by God, by Jesus... He bought me with His blood on the cross. Being a saint is being willing to be God's instrument, and seek to follow His will all the time. Serious business, we need to get to work for His Kingdom. We can always do something in the moment, but we must remember, all is kingdom work.

• 2 weeks later...

Bond(-man) and servant are the words translated from doulos (1401), 'a slave', literally and figuratively, voluntarily and involuntarily, frequently therefore in a qualified sense of 'subjection' or 'subserviency'.  Paul utilizes the term in several of his writings to convey his position toward Christ.  From my personal understanding, an individual could often be enslaved to another for various reasons and in multiple manners in Jewish society--but many (perhaps all) had a time when freedom could be obtained, either through forgiveness or redemption or as a matter of Jewish law.  That person could obligate himself voluntarily, making that person a bond servant, and so denoted by a piercing in the lobe of the ear.  I believe that in most cases of slavery, the enslaved is exhausted of most individual rights, so they served at the pleasure of their masters.  The master was expected to provide sufficient living conditions for the enslaved, who were considered personal property of the slave masters or owners.  Under Jewish law, slaves were afforded the Sabbath rest, as they were a part of the Jewish master's household.  As a believer, follower and ambassador of Christ, Paul used the picture of the bond servant to represent how he felt toward the Christ in terms of Him being his Lord, master, provider and protector.  In writing to the people at Corinth, Paul would say to them "...you are not your own.  You are bought with a price…." (1 Cor 6:19-20), meaning that the free gift of salvation given to us was actually paid for by Christ death on the cross to pay our wages (of death) for us.  Paul feels that he owns no less than to become a bond servant to Jesus Christ.

Saint and (most) holy (one, thing) are the words translated from hagios (40), 'sacred', physically 'pure', morally 'blameless' or 'religious', ceremonially 'consecrated'.  This is a term that is used throughout the New Testament to referred to Christ's followers.  From my personal understanding, the term is universally applicable to anyone who accepts Christ's free gift of salvation and makes Christ Lord of his/her life.  The term is one referencing an individual's standing with the Lord--not of righteousness through one's own accountability but by Christ's death on the cross as a perpetual payment for our sins.  It is a remarkable truth that Christ paid for our past sins, the ones we may be committing in the moment, and any which we will commit in the future until we are freed from the presence of sin of this world.

In stating that one is a bond slave, that person is saying that theirs is a life of servitude and obedience--that all that they do is at the direction of another.  In stating that one is a saint, that person is saying that their life comes vicariously from the one Who has Life to give, that is Jesus Christ.  Both say that they live in and for another, He being our Lord and Savior.

• 2 weeks later...

In the introduction, servant was described as one who is solely committed to another. Saints were consecrated to God. Both slave and saint are 'set apart' for the service of God.

As a born-again follower of Christ, we are being transformed into His image heart, soul, and mind.

• 8 months later...

Paul was a slave as to being and doing what God asked of him. A Saint in being what he was to everyone, helping and encouraging.

Paul would rather be a slave to God then a slave to the world.

• 8 months later...

A slave is committed for life to his/her master, set apart compelled, joyfully to do the master's will.  This reminds me something I heard or read that on the year of Jubilee (49 years) all Jewish slaves were released to go back to their families, but a slave can choose to remain a slave.  If he does, his master makes a hole in his ear lobe which indicates he has chosen, irrevocably to be the person's slave for the remainder of his life. I thought that I read it in the OT, but a quick search this morning was unfruitful.  Does anyone out there know where that story came from?  At any rate, I see it as an illustration of our being a slave or bond-servant to God.  When we come to know Jesus as our Savior, we are set apart and bound to Him.  Out of love and gratitude we obey Him and let Him transform us more into His image, we cooperate with Him in the process of healing our brokenness and cleaning us up.

A saint is also one set apart, consecrated, holy.  Has nothing to do with the functional state of one's walk with Christ.  It is a joy and privilege that takes place at the point of salvation at the same time the Holy Spirit indwells us. We did nothing to earn this privilege but it is now our joyful duty to walk in obedience to our Savior as we cooperate with Him to clean up our life making us more like Him.  A life time process. We are compelled to walk with Jesus but not forced.  It is a daily and sometimes a moment by moment choice.

• 2 years later...

The idea behind being a slave of Christ is that the Greek word 'doulas" carries the idea of being a male slave. Someone who isn't a servant but someone who is owned by a master and has been purchased to domhis masters will.

while a "saint" , the Greek hagiography, means someone who has been purchased and set aside for a special purpose. The idea of being dedicated for God's purposes and not for common use. Therefore we need to honour God with our body. It doesn't depend on how holy a life I have lived today but that I am dedicated to God for His purposes. It's important to understand this.

• 1 year later...

I feel this pertains to complete obedience in doing what we are required by Christ to do, as they say, 'lock, stock, and barrel.'

As far as being a slave for Christ just this day as I was reading in my devotionals it was talking about how we as Christians often say, do, act in ways we should not.  I am thankful to Christ, God, for his love, mercy and grace.  For myself, I am a Christian but sometimes my old nature jumps in and I in a moment of weakness fail my Lord in obedience...Grace, Forgiveness is wonderful. 

As for being a saint, I am a sinner saved by grace.  I am His child, His daughter and in my love for him I want to do what he asks of me.  I accept fully my sainthood in Christ, fully consecrated to God. Not perfect, perfected but dedicated to my Lord and Savior and set apart to serve him.  Sacred property because of him.  I love being his daughter and receiving his love and gracious even when I fail.  I am NOT my own; I was bought with a price.  When I look at my own children and realize the love I have for them it makes me all more aware of the Love and Sacrifice God gave for me and now I am his. 

• 1 year later...

The difference between slave and saint may have to do with our ability to choose, that is, our free-will or volition.

A slave does not have the ability to make choices or determine his actions. He may think he's making decisions, but his paths and future has been mapped out for him. 

A saint chooses Christ therefore chooses to let God determine his actions. He is, in a very real sense, making decisions (with the Holy Spirit's involvement.)

In my wee opinion, the slave/saint dichotomy refers to the mystery of human free-will, that simultaneously, we're both slave and free, and in freedom choose to be His slave again.

• 1 month later...

The lesson teaches that
1) a slave is 100% committed to another person and the slaves' service is compulsory.  
2) a saint is dedicated to the service of God through their own free will .
3) Those who are saved are not perfect, and God has set us apart serve Him.
I love the following from the lesson: 'We are His sacred property and off limits to profane use.'
I feel safe knowing that I am His and nobody can change that fact.