JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

A slave is one that is in total submission to their owner, willing to walk into the lions den to prove their devotion. When I first heard myself refered to as a saint ( after giving myself to God and baptised) I was speechless and dumbfounded. After much studing I am so happy to be a Saint in Christ Jesus, hoping that his light shines from me for all to see. A slave and Saint in the service of our Jesus Christ is one in the same.

Linda Louise

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A slave is a person bought as a piece of property and pressed into service by his or her owners.

A saint is a word for a Christian believer set apart for God's service. In the Old Testament this word applies to a pious Jew. Spiritual blessings are reserved for the saints of God's king."m.

I consider myself a slave as I have been bought with a price (Jesus death on the cross)

I am also a saint as I have been set apart although the term taken alone implies something I could never achieve as in someone saying of me, "she is a saint>'

• 4 weeks later...
Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

To me, a slave is the property of the master, "bought for a price." There's no coincidence there, is there? As the Master's property, the slave is available to the master for whatever he needs. Similarly, a saint, in this context, is someone who has been "secured" by some authority; labled as belonging to, but not so much in a possesive, subservient way, but more of a protected way. The way someone who carries a badge has been identified as belonging to a "protected" group. "Don't mess with this guy, or you'll be in big trouble!"

As Christians, we have most certainly been bought by the blood of Jesus Himself, and therefore "owned" by God, to do his bidding. At the same time, we've been identified, marked, protected, deputized even, to free us to do the work he's called us to do. The beauty of being a "slave" to God is, he is the kindest, most loving master one could possibly imagine.

I think for me, I need to get serious about paying Him the respect he deserves as my Master, AND, to grow in my appreciation for the price He paid for me, and for the loving way He treats me. He has the right to punish me for my disrespect, and most certainly He does discipline me, but He is always watching and waiting for the chance to run to the road to meet me when He sees me coming, to welcome me as a son.

A slave is a person who is committed to his master a saint is committed to the Lord. As part of providing good service they both must possess dedication,as well in their every day living. As we look at the two we can see strong similarity that joins them together which is that both or servants.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

By common definition a slave is a person owned by someone else, the "master", and is obligated to serving the master's request no matter what the outcome. The definition of the word used by Paul is to refer to a person who has chosen to be obligated for life by a desire to follow and obey Christ Jesus.

The root idea of a saint is one who is sanctified, or set apart, dedicated to serving God out of desire and obedience to Jesus.

In the sense of my relationship to God, they both indicate a willing desire to follow and obey the Christ, and to be committed to that service for the rest of my life regardless of obstacles or difficulties I encounter on the journey.

• 4 weeks later...

Slave-belongs to one master who has sole ownership and total control. The slave abdicates his will and submits to all the master's requests. He is also the representative of the master in places of business, when making purchases on the master's behalf, when sent on any kind of errand.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

slave: one who is committed to another towards compulsory service.

saint: being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God.

There are similarities to both of these titles being that we are a slave to Christ. Unless you really know what that means there is no other expression, but true joy that Christ is your master. And with that not only are we slaves to Christ, but we are saints of His because of

His blood that purchased us. We are dedicated and consecrated unto Him. What a treasure to be found in being a slave and saint for Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Slaves were committed to doing what their masters told them to do , theirfore they were going to do the will of their master no matter what the cost may have been, it could have resulted to their death but they completed their orders. When we became committed to Jesus Christ by the way of our committment to God, We became God slaves it carried us to and unwavering desire to do the will of God no matter what the cost may end up being.

To be a saint means some what the same as a slave to be an saint is a statement shown in our every day walk we live it rather than just talking it we live each day to do the will of God.

Understand that I am God's lock, stock and barrel is put before me to understand that Jesus paid the price for me to be able to have the right kind of relationship with God that I can be a saint for Him with a daily desire to complete His Will.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:rolleyes:

the idea of a 'slave' reflects our comittment to God, as when we were purchased by the blood of Jesus, we became slaves unto God, to serve Him, we had been purchased by His blood to become His for life, as a slave is there with His master for life, so are we God. a slave is there with the master without any selfish reasons, however a hired help is there for gaining something in return, so we also with God, we have a relationship that no money can buy. A Slave does the will of the master and that's his delight.

the root of us being 'saints' is by virtue of being purchased by the blood of Jesus, we were made saints when we accepted that sacrifise, and became children of God. It is not by good deeds but by God's deed for us, as we are slaves to God, that made us saints meaning separated to God.

• 1 month later...

[/size]

Slave and Saint... I must say I never associated those two words as meaning the same, until I started to read Paul's letter and until I started this study.

I class myself as a slave to rightiousness and belief is God. Obeying Him is foremost in my life, and I want to keep learning all the ways I can do this. I am a saint because I belong to God, when I was baptized as a child my parents promised on my behalf to bring me up in the love of God. They did their job, then when I became of age I took over, and all that my Parents taught me about God, proved to be what I needed to carry on in my position as Mother and Grandmother. My aim is to learn more and more how to love God and carry out His purpose for me.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?

One who is committed for life to compulsory service to his master.

What is the root idea of "saint"?

Not perfection, but rather consecration and dedication to God, our title upon receiving salvation when we receive His imparted holiness.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

Both words imply that once saved, we belong to God for life, and through faith, serve Him as His sainted children.

I love that in scripture when a slave was set free to leave, some chose to remain with their master... the sign for this was to put the ear lobe to the wooden door frame (the cross) and the ear was pierced with an awl (as our Savior was pierced for us when nailed to the cross) The individual went from being a slave to a bond servant through love for his/her master.

(Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for this duplication. I am still learning how to post and the best way to post my answers. Thanks for understanding.

I understand "servant" to be someone who is owned by the Master. However, as servant in the O.T. "must enjoy religious privileges with the master's household" - from E-Sword Bible Study and Nave's research. Also, to be a servant of Christ is to be made free in the Lord but also a "slave" of Christ. Enslaved but free (1 Corinthians 7:21-22). In Romans chapter 6, Paul says that we are made free from sin but have become servants to God, basically servants of holiness (v. 22). Jesus said in John 8:32 that the truth shall make us free and the truth is that we have a freedom from the bondage of sin in Jesus while we are also free to choose and to practice righteousness in all of it's manifestations as listed in Galations 5:22ff.

Philippians 1:1 - "servant" (similar to "slave") is someone owned by the Master. However, a servant in the O.T. "must enjoy religious privileges with the master's household" - from Naves Topical. Also, to be a servant of Christ is to be made free in the Lord but also a "slave" of Christ. Enslaved but free (1 Cor. 7:21-22). In Romans chapter 6, Paul says that we are made free from sin but have become servants to God, basicially servants of holiness (v.22). Jesus said in John 8:32 that the truth shall make us free and the truth is that we have freedom from the bondage of sin in Christ Jesus while we are also free to choose and to practice righteousness in all of its manifestations as listed in Galations 5:22ff.

"Saint" means "sacred, physically pure, morally blameless, ceremonially consecrated; most holy" (Strong's). We are made saint by the Lord who bought us. We would not be saints otherwise. Therefore, since He bought us and made us saints, we are also His slaves to freedom through the redemption price He paid for us.

These words are basically saying the same thing about our relationship to God and Jesus. We are first bought, then given the status of saints, made holy and blameless; we, therefore, not only owe our lives to Christ for what He did, we WANT to remain blameless in Him and so become His slaves from the heart, willingly out of eternal gratitude for His sacrifice to make us blameless and pure.

A "slave" is one who gives himself wholly to his master's will- not because he HAS to, but because he chooses to out of love.

A "saint" is one who is set apart from salvation to serve the Lord.

They (slave and saint) are saying the same thing, but from 2 different outlooks. They are both about serving the Lord, and belonging to Him, but as a slave, it is the Christian's choice. And, as a saint, it's something God does to the Christian at salvation.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:1)

What is the basic idea of "slave"?

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

(Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

Slave

• 2 months later...

A slave belongs to his master to do whateverhe is told as long as he lives. A saint when he becomes saved he also belongs to Jesus but we are given free will but as a born again believer we should listen to God's call and do what He asks. Doing what He asks gives great rewards.

• 1 month later...

A slave is someone who chooses to be committed to someone or something. It is his life's goal to work for them, give them his best. and he chooses never to leave that person for any reason. He is a bond servant and slave of his own choosing.

A slave is one who fulflills God'a will and God'a purposed for life. He doesn't play at serving God when the notion strikes and doesn't complain about his lot in life. A slave finds joy in doing God's will and genuine love is the key to joy in service.

Saints pertains to being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God. we are referred to as bellievers as the "holy ones or consecrated to God and we become holy not perfect or perfected but dedicated, set apart to the service of God. we have become his sacred property and off limits to profane use

that is how we are when we become Christians. we are set apart from the world, made holy in His eyes and we are dedicated to doing His good will. we are consecrated and and we have become His sacred property and off limits to profane use. It is a decision that we make because we are loved by God and He has called us into a relationship with Him. He has drawn us closer to Him through gentle love and kindness. We believe that He is the God of the world and we choose not to leave our relationship with Jesus.

We need to be wholly and completely consecrated to Jesus.

What is the basic idea of "slave"?

A slave (doulos) is committed to his Master for life.

Saints (hagios) pertains to being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God....."the holy ones"

When we are saved, when Christ's Spirit comes into our lives, we become holy. We are dedicated, set apart to the service of God, and are his sacred property. Since we are now holy, separated to God, dedicated to God's work, we are both slaves and saints.

• 3 months later...

The basic idea of "slave" is an indication that you belong to God, that you are committed yourself to life lone service to God.

The basic idea of "saint" is that you are dedicated, consecrated, and st apart for God's use exclusively.

Either as a slave or saint we are bought with a price, the shed bllod of Jesus, and as a result we belong to God. As a purchased possession of God we live a life of dedicated service to God. As saints we chose to be slaves. It is a decision we make to spend our lives in service to God. The Word of God tells us that Jesus, who knew no sin was made to be sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God through Him. Saint or slave, we own our life to Christ in obedient service to Him.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

A slave is a possession. The master can use him as he likes. The slave has no mind of his own. His body is not his own. Evil persons like Legree can beat a slave to death and nobody cares. In this way, we must be totally committed to God. That way, we're a slave. But we are the slave with a piercing in his ear who has chosen to be with the master forever. We don't have to serve our Master but we do because we love Him in return.

We are called to be in Christ and if we obey, we are set apart. A saint is somebody who is set apart by God. So if we become a christian, we are set apart by God and we become a saint.

• 3 months later...

A slave is one who is a person who is committed to Gods will and is willing to fulfill His purposes for their whole life.

A saint is a person who is dedicated or consecrated to the service of God.

When used for a Christian in their relationship to God these words slave and saint have the same meaning, because they are both referring to a person who commits and set apart their whole life to and for Gods service, His will, and for His purpose.