JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

Well, perhaps I may take a different approach here. The similarities seem to be quite clear; a slave is one who is owned, more often even purchased by his owner's money or other possessions. A saint is purchased in the same way, though the blood of Jesus. The difference is, the slave never chooses to follow or serve his master, while the saint chooses and serves his.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave

To be totally surrendered and obedient to the one you serve

What is the root idea of "saint"?

Being set aside for God

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I BELIEVE A SLAVE IS ONE WHO IS TOTALLY SURRENDERED OR COMPLETELY SOLD OUT TO DOING THE WILL OF THEIR MASTER. EVEN IN ADVERSITIES OR DESPERATE CIRCUMSTANCES HE FINDS JOY IN DOING THE WILL OF HIS MASTER.

A SAINT IS ONE WHO HAS BEEN SET APART BY GOD , CONSECRATED FOR GOD'S SERVICE AND MADE HOLY UNTO GOD BECAUSE OF WHAT CHRIST DID AT THE CROSS.

A CHRISTIAN IS A SLAVE TO GOD AND A SAINT OF GOD.BECAUSE OF HIS ACCOMPLISHMENT ON THE CROSS, BECAUSE HE HAS MADE ME HOLY AND SET ME APART UNTO HIMSELF , I DESIRE TO DO HIS WILL AND OBEY HIM.BECAUSE OF HIS SUFFERING AND THE PRICE HE PAID FOR ME, I LOVE HIM AND DESIRE TO BE A SLAVE OF HIS; TOTALLY SURRENDERED TO HIS WILL FOR MY LIFE.SO I THINK WHETHER WE SEE OURSELVES AS SAINTS OF GOD OR SLAVES OF GOD , WE MUST BELONG TO HIM ONLY AND BE HIS ALONE....GOD BLESS.....

I think the biggest difference between servanthood and slavery is that a servant has a choice. They may loose their job in the long run, but they have a choice as to whether they will serve or not. If a slave were to choose not to serve, they would be subject to discipline by their master. The saint is that person who willing chooses to become a servant of Christ Jesus and most often does so because they realize that they are indebted as a slave for the great love shown to them through Jesus Christ, and they have no desire to do anything but serve.

These two are the same though in the outcome. Ultimately, whether through a slave or a servant, the master is given the aid he requires. The master's work is finished in both instances and in both cases, a job well done will earn the approval of the master.

• 2 months later...

Slave- A slave for God to do God's work,of one's own free will, relying on the Grace of God and not their own strength that they may serve. Not as a slave that was a victim of tyranny, of a cruel master - rather a slave who had the option to be free of the master but made a choice, to be bonded to the master for life. You need to give up everything for the Master - now that is committment - Do I have it??? Time to pray again - Praise Him. I am a slave that has the only means of showing their love for the Master by making a committment to serve their master for the rest of thier life. A slave whose only motive in life is to please their master, not to serve what is pleasing to themselves.

Saint - the keyword is ownership - we are reffered to as saints because of the God's (jealous) claim on us and his overwheliming love for us presented by his Son Jesus Christ. If you are owned, you accept a role essentially as a slave; in a committement described above in "slave".

• 6 months later...

The best definition of the word slave and the root idea of saint will be understood when your are. As Christ's slaves we are His, bought and paid for, in order to do His good will. As saints, we have accepted this honor and all of His benefits, and live a life worthy of His name. He has set us apart for His use and equipped us with a holy calling to be beneficial to Him, others and ourselves.

• 1 month later...

'what is the basic idea of a slave/ what is the root idea of a saint

In what way are both saying the same thing about our relationship with God?

1 The common understanding of slave is one who really is in bondage to another with very little choices in the matter, but to do as he is instructed.

2. A saint is one who has willingly come to Christ because he knows the privilege of becoming a child of the living God with all the promises of this life and the life to come , and looks forward to that special time when he will see the LOrd FACE TO FACE.

3. Even though we prefer the word, SAINT, we are love slaves to the Lord to perform His will , knowing that

it is a high calling of God to serve Him with a clean and obedient heart, knowing

that one day , we will hear those words, "well done thou good and faithful servant".

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

The basic idea of a "slave" is not one who is bonded against his or her will, but who chose to be a slave for Christ. In Old testemant times a slave served their master 7 years, at the end of the 7 years they had a choice to be free or to stay a slave to their master for life. Many slaves had great masters who took care of them. The "doulos" slave is one who chooses their master for life out of love for Him. That is us with Christ we are a slave(doulos) because we love Him and chose to be lovingly obedient to Him.

The root idea of "saint" is one who is set apart, not of the world, but separate by Christ. The slave had a choice to go back into the world and be free by worldly standards, but chose to be separate from the world to serve their Master. All "saints" are servants "doulos" for they are separate of the world and willingly choose to serve Jesus. Their works don't save them, for works are a product of salvation and sanctification, not a means to it. :)

• 2 months later...
Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

Slave (Bond Servant) - (noun) A person who is subjected to a master (to a Diety, another person, sin nautre, a bad habit, etc.) for the work of some service for which there is no earned wage. A slave or bond servant subjects his or her own personal wants, desires, needs, time, weaknesses and strenghts uder the will of the master and is not expecting anything in return. Some slaves lose their free will and that not by choice (IE: Aftrican forced to be slaves simply because of the color of their skin.). Others have chosen freely to subject their will to the will of their master.

A person who comes into God's Kingdom has the right to be called a child of God, a son of the Living God (Jn 1:12 et.al) immediately upon initial faith where one has crossed over from death to life and declared righteous before God. But there is an invitation by God's Anointed Son, Christ Jesus, to become His disciple which involves denying one's selfish imperfect will for the will of the Lord's (Matt 16, Mark 8, Luke 14). This invitation is given to anyone who would come after Him, to anyone who would choose to follow Jesus Christ and therefore willingly subject his free will under the will of a new master, the Living God who in fact fills the believer by the Holy Spirit to guide them in this process. I say "new" master, because before faith in Jesus Christ is expressed by any believer, he or she is a slave to sin a slave to Satan's kingdom (Rom 6, Eph 2). The new master will lead those who choose to become His bond servants by the Holy Spirit into works of service in the Kingdom of God; each given a unique combination of spiritual gifts for the building up of the church body (Rom 12, I Cor 12, Eph 4).

Those who choose to live their own life after expressing faith in Jesus Christ but never to become His bond servant may escape the flames of hell just barely, but when they enter into the eternal Kingdom, they will suffer loss (I Cor 3) since they never moved forward into becoming the Lord's bond servant. Slavery is really not an option for anyone. You are a slave to sin and Satan before faith in Jesus Christ is expressed. After initial faith, you can return to your vomit, that is slavery to sin and suffer the consequences, and that usually more sever than before you were saved since now God is trying to woo you into recognizing your invitation to become a follower, bond servant of Jesus Christ. Or you can choose to become a slave to righteousness and escape the hardship of being saved and ignoring the invitation of being a slave to the one who loves you and wants to take care of you. A person who lives to satisfy the sinful nature is a slave to sin. But it is our choice to find the power in Christ Jesus to humble ourselves and take on the very nature of a bond servant as Christ did (Phil 2) and therefore find freedom to live free from the slavery to sin through the Holy Spirit who is at work calling believers into a life marked by the fruit of repentance. The choice to become Christ Jesus' bond servant or slave is an open invitation to the new believer in Christ Jesus and even to those who after initial faith chose to do their own selfish thing for awhile. However, the window is open for a little while for there is a moment when one is sealed off from being able to repent again. There is a point when repentance from sin becomes impossible for a backslidden Christian. Although forgiven from the penalty of their sin is once and for all (Rom 8) since his gift of the Holy Spirit is irrevocable (Rom11)and therefore that person is allowed to enter into the Kingdom of God with all other believers, he or she will suffer loss in the process of going in empty handed and naked (I Cor 3, I Peter 1). Furthermore, choosing not to willfully become Christ's bond servant once saved means you chose to give up the right to live in the freedom from the power of sin in this life before the second coming of Christ. (Heb 6)

Therefore, it is to be considered a privledge to move on from initial salvific faith in Christ Jesus to the next higher state, a bond servant of Christ, which takes a load of humility, a Spirit led humility, but is still a higher state of sanctification than just having your name written in the Book of Life. Some have said that the first step for a new believer is to build their self esteem. This goes exactly contrary to the work of the Holy Spirit. The first step must emulate Christ's first step when he came to earth, to humble oneself to become a bond servant of the living God. If slavery is inevitable, is it not more wise to chose to be free from the slavery to sin, free from slavery to Satan's way of disobedience, and rather subject your will to a loving, gentle, compassionate master who is slow to anger and rich in mercy and grace? For me that is how I choose to live as a believer. Besides that is where the ABUDANT LIFE really is!

:D

NEXT POST I WILL ANSWER THE LAST TWO OF THE THREE PART QUESTION #1 ---- See below

Saint (noun) - A saint is a person who has not only been declared righteous by faith alone in Christ Jesus, the Son of the living God, but he or she is a person who is living free from the power of sin in their life by following Jesus Christ as his disciple. The penalty of one's sin does not count against a person when they come to faith in Jesus Christ. But, not everyone continues in the fruit of repentance by way of choosing by free will to become a Christian = one who follows Jesus Christ. A saint is one who is not caught up into any habitual sin.

A bond servant of Christ is a Saint, because living for Christ as His servant involves following what the Lord commands. This involves learning his commands, putting them to memory, committing oneself to obey those commands, not by a legalistic self righteous way, but by faith in Christ Jesus who empowers believers to live obediently to Him. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Being enslaved is having no rights to one's own life. every decision is made for you and you have no choice but to do what your master says to do.

Being sainted is choosing the to be dedicated to the service of one particular person. you have made the choice to serve him of your own free will.

We have a hard time becoming fully dedicated to the service of God, but like the saying goes, "Practice makes Perfect."

Let us all pray that we will continue to practice being saints for God

Kayla

• 2 months later...

The basic ideas from slaves come from our Black slaves that were told what to do, how to do, and punished if it didn't meet their masters approval. In some ways we are slaves of God not in the fact of punishment or color, but with his love and grace and our acceptance we love to do our best for Jesus because of his Grace. Grace is powerful and can move mountains of pain if we let him. As for me the road is easier than my past road alone and abandoned by all (or at least I thought) :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

saints are people god has made holy they can be in heaven or alive on earth

slaves serve only one master

By choosing to serve god who bought our lives with his blood and serving only him through jesus christ our lord and savior our roles as saints our to live and obey his rules and laws he has set for us

• 1 month later...
The greek noun doulos translates as one who is totally commited to another, a slave that is commited to his master for life. The root idea for saint comes from the greek adjective hogios : being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God. Paul is refering to himself as a slave to Gods will. He lives to fulfill Gods purpose for his life. As a saint using the greek translation of the word you are also dedication your life to the Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

there cannot be a slave without a master,thus a slave in this context is referring to a person who has a master which in this case is referring to our lord jesus christ as the master...the master is an authority who requires absolute obedience to his demands or orders.the slave is expected to follow orders.

a saint refers to holiness but this holiness is only made possible in reference to the holy spirit that dwells in the believer given by the grace of god.being a saint refers to the master of that believer in christ,thus being a slave and a saint are terms used in reference to one's relationship with that same master,who is our lord and savior,jesus christ.

slaves are committed for life and so should our commitment be as Christians to God.

We should be sold out and that should be our focus!

• 4 weeks later...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. (1:1)

"What is the basic idea of "slave"? "I think of a slave as one whom had his/her liberties taken away . That is one who is under the complete control of another person to the point that the slave is the owner's property.

While this doesn't sound like fun, people voluntarily go into similar arrangements. Look at professional athletes (ie. In the NBA, or NHL) in many ways they are the property of their owners. It is to the benefit of both parties.

"What is the root idea of "saint"? "To further my professional athletics analogy. The athlete trades part of his liberty, the sports team trades money, for not just the person but his complete professionalism and dedication. The transaction becomes a relationship.

The Christian gives up his own liberty in a transaction by turning his will over to God with complete faith. God gives the Holy Spirit: the sacred currency which God 'bought' when Jesus was crucified. In this, the transaction becomes a sacred relationship. .

"In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?"The relationship between the Christian and God is one of slave / master as the Christian is turning his liberty over to God in a sacred way. We are his slaves in this saintly relationship.

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote The basic idea of "slave" is one who is solely committed to another. Slaves are committed to their Master for life.

The root idea of "saint" refers to the One who owns you and pertains to "being dedicated or consecrated tothe service of God."

Saying the same thing but looking at different aspects of belonging "lock, stock, and barrel" to God.

• 2 weeks later...

The basic ides of a slave is one who is bound in servitude as the properity of a person. Saint refers to one who is holy or dedicated to righteousness. Holiness or to live righteously is being set apart, to be different from this world and its desires. Thus, a saint is one who demonstrated the Holiness of Jesus Christ by becoming a servant or slave for others (Just as HE was on earth) until the end of days.

• 1 month later...

a slave is one who chose to give all of himself to his master and holds nothing back. he understands he was bought at a price and he is not his own anymore. a saint however was gods choice to set apart for himself a holy people that does his will. i think they go hand in hand like salvation and sanctification. we made a choice to believe in christ and he saved us and cleansed us, and is cleansing us each day

• 2 weeks later...

i greet you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

i for one belive that a slave is one who is under obligation to serve a master, his or her life is in the hands of the master.

a saint on the other hand is one who has totally committed himself to Christ, the Lord and Master.

For one to do well in Christianity, they need to be both a slave and a saint. serve wholeheartedly, denying self and giving up their lives totally to God.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?

The basic idea of "slave" is a person who is completely committed to someone for life. They are in "compulsory service," they cannot come and go as they please, they do so only with permission of their owner - master.

What is the root idea of "saint"?

The root idea of a "saint" is one who belongs to God, just as a "slave" belongs to his master. When we are "saved," the Spirit of God comes into our lives and we become holy, and set apart to the service of God.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

These words say the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God because s/he is obligated to do the will of God, just as a "slave" is obligated to his master.

• 4 weeks later...

A slave has no real personal freedom. The slave is owned by someone else, usually by compulsion. The slave cannot do as he pleases because his master is calling the shots.

As a saint I have given my life to Jesus Christ and my life is not my own to do whatever I chose to do. I seek to do what pleases and honors my Lord and Savior. I seek to submit my will to the will of God Almighty. So you can you can see a relationship between being a saint and being a slave with one pointed difference -- I choose to turn my life over to the Lord God Almighty.

• 2 months later...

Well this is my first post:

I'm enjoying this study:

I found it interesting to learn the difference between SERVANT and SLAVE. I'm excited to look at serving in a different light; not a servant who comes and goes but as someone who is committed for life to serving for Jesus.

As Christians we are to be committed in a relationship with GOD: not to come and go as we see the need; we are to be committed always and to not stray from the MASTER because we are ones who are committed as 'doulos'.