JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Humility and Unity

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary?

Answer: Humility is necessary to achieve unity in congregation because without it everyone will pride himself to be the best among the brethren.

Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church?

Answer: When a brethren was found concealing something. They were given disciplinary action yet instead of accepting it, they left the church and find another one.

What are you doing to bring unity in your church?

Answer: Be a good role model of humbleness and PRAY, PRAY and PRAY.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humility is the absence of pride. It is necessary for the unity of the church because if everyone think that they are better than the others it will bring about strife and disorder.

Lack of humility resulted in a break away group that formed a separate church.

Fellowships, concerns for the welfare of others, love and compassion and avoiding discrimination on the basis of status and position.

• 9 months later...
On 3/21/2005 at 1:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your church?

So the church can be as one.

Sin enters, jealousy,conceit,greed,hate.

Showing love letting the love of God show through.

• 5 years later...

Some of the above comments have made me realize that I really don't know what church is supposed to act and look like. I thought I did ... but don't.

• Why is it structured this way?
  • Why is it this size? 
  • Why is it that we, as congregants, work so hard to find a way to serve?
  • Why do so many pastors feel targeted, even angry?

Perhaps there was something fundamentally wrong with most of the churches to which I've belonged or attended. This statement isn't made out of my pride, but out of frustration and grief. Yes, more humility among the congregants and leadership would always be helpful, but I'm still not convinced that the way we do church in America or the West is the way it has to be done. Frankly, it seems a bit odd that the way church actually "works" isn't all that different than that of a secular corporation, civic club, social club, etc.

Unchurched people may be doing church differently.

• I've known some amazing Christians who have given up on church and attend parachurch groups instead.
  • There's a strong bias against this, particularly here, but the pejoratively named "Lone Ranger" Christian may have his/her place in the body, too. Solitude isn't a sin.
  • Recently, when a woman who sold on ebay openly told me about her daughter's marital breakup, grandkids, etc ...  it occurred to me that she was the most transparent, self-revealing person I had spoken to and prayed with in months. She said she could not "trust" or "be honest with" anyone in her church.

The assumption, here, is that pride sabotages church unity, and obviously, this is true. But something else may be wrong. I can't put my finger on it.

Just thinking.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how a lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity to your church?

Humility is necessary for unity in a congregation because it helps to prevent selfishness, pride, and divisiveness.

A lack of humility in a church can lead to division. For example, some members can become self-centered, seek personal gain, or promote their own agendas at the expense of the greater good, it can create tension and conflict within the congregation. This can result in factions forming and a breakdown in the sense of unity that should exist among believers.

To bring unity to a church, leaders and members can take various steps, such as:

1. Emphasizing Humility: Church leaders can actively promote humility and selflessness as core values within the congregation by teaching the importance of serving others and considering their needs can help reinforce these principles.

2. Small Group Fellowship: Encouraging small group fellowship helps to provide opportunities for members to build relationships and support one another.

3. Transparent communication and perhaps offer a tool like "MBTI" to understand self and other members' character/personality better to serve one another or develop a conflict resolution process in place for reconciliation. 

4. last but not least - Prayer: Regular prayer for unity and harmony within the church is vital. Seeking God's guidance and intervention in matters of division can be powerful in promoting unity.