JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Humility and Unity

My example didn't cause a division but it did open my eyes. I was in charge of the ministry of help, I would go out and check on the need then report back to the pastor. We had a family that everyone month had the same problem. I knew the mother was on drugs and was selling her food.

One day I (puffed up) decided that I should tell God that I don't want to go there because he knew she was on drugs and why should I keep going there every month.

The Holy Spirit checked me quick all I could do was repent right then. I was crying so hard I couldn't see. I had to pull over people stopped to see if I was alright.

I will never do that again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My example didn't cause a division but it did open my eyes. I was in charge of the ministry of help, I would go out and check on the need then report back to the pastor. We had a family that everyone month had the same problem. I knew the mother was on drugs and was selling her food.

One day I (puffed up) decided that I should tell God that I don't want to go there because he knew she was on drugs and why should I keep going there every month.

The Holy Spirit checked me quick all I could do was repent right then. I was crying so hard I couldn't see. I had to pull over people stopped to see if I was alright.

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your church?​ 

To achieve unity in your congregation, humility is necessary to accept others and to allow everyone to be and become what God has ordained that they would become.

The lack of humility has caused a division in the church when the new pastor was not accepted by some.

To bring unity in the church, stay humble and love as Christ taught us to love.

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your church

Humility is a congregation is necessary for unity among its members.  Humility is the very hallmark of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.  Humility takes strength from the Holy Spirit because it goes against our human nature.  Genuine humility considers others better than ourselves.  Real Christian humility has its focus on God and on others and not self.  Humility at its roots is love and love binds one another and keeps us united.  When we are humble we care about each others need and are concerned about our neighbors welfare.

To bring about unity in our church we can be humble, obedient to  God and pray at all times.

Unity can always be achieved when every follower of Christ Jesus understand the purpose of their faith.  If the believers, though claiming to believe in Christ Jesus, pursuit their own ambition of political power, or fame, or financial advantage, then they are not true followers of the Lord.  With a congregation that every individual comes to church with a heart still attached to the values of the world, we will never be able to achieve unity.

The word of Paul in this NIV translation is “being united with Christ

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded…." (Phil 2:1-2)

It is clear that Christ is the bond of members of the church, hence without Christ there is no unity.

Humility is also a character of Christ that members of the church would inherit when they are in direct connection with Him.  It is not a quality that they can achieve by themselves (Phil 2: 5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus)

Jesus has said:

Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Unity has not been achieved among Christian Churches, because every elder, or group of elders has their own ambition.  Many of them have introduced new doctrines which are not of the Bible, hence the division of Christian Churches is a fact for almost 2000 years.

I can’t see how to achieve unity among Christian followers unless every one of them returns to the Word of God, and learns to know God, and builds personal relationship with Him.  Once every person has Christ in heart then unity is simply a natural matter because Christ Jesus is the Shepherd of the flock.  Everyone will follow Him wherever He leads them.

In the current time, people do not worship the true God anymore.  Many are idolaters of many gods because they are seeking prosperity, wellbeing, enlightenment, political power, fame and vain glory of the world.  Thus Christ Jesus has said:

Mat 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

He also said:

Luk 18:8  I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Jesus did not say will he find anyone who claims Him as Lord when He returns, but will he find faith on earth.  We may have many people proclaiming His name and call Him Lord, but they do not have genuine faith in Him.  This is the reason for Jesus to say again:

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

How can believers do God the Father’s will, if they have been taught by elders of the churches that the old covenant has been abolished?  How can Christians call God their Father, if they ignore His ordinance?  How can we claim to be followers of Christ if we ignore the commandments of His Father?  How can we have “humility” if we do not submit ourselves to Him, the Father, in obedience to His commandments?  Jesus Christ did not abolish His Father’s law, how can Christian churches abolish His law?

Mat 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Christians are being persuaded by skillful preachers with their doctrines; they are not followers of Christ Jesus, but those famous men/women.  They do not read the word of God for themselves and are not guided by the Holy Spirit.  They do not have true connection with Christ Jesus in their life.

How can we have humility and unity if no one is united with Christ?

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility

necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a 

division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your 

church?

1. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests 

of others. We need to have the attitude the same as Christ Jesus because it will lower

confusion, bring love, have unity with each other, and help others to feel wanted. 

To understand that following Jesus means following him as a servant 

who humbles himself or we'll never really understand him.

1.  A person looked at what others was doing and did not respect them, but lowered them to others. A person took over as if they are the pastor.
  3. I try to help everyone as much as possible with: clothing, money, and giving advice 

from the bible in a Godly way. When we have a program or something going on, I do 

all I can to support it. I try to do things that will comfort others. I constantly pray for

others.

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility

necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a 

division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your 

church?

1. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests 

of others. We need to have the attitude the same as Christ Jesus because it will lower

confusion, bring love, have unity with each other, and help others to feel wanted. 

To understand that following Jesus means following him as a servant 

who humbles himself or we'll never really understand him.

1.  A person looked at what others was doing and did not respect them, but lowered them to others. A person took over as if they are the pastor.
  3. I try to help everyone as much as possible with: clothing, money, and giving advice 

from the bible in a Godly way. When we have a program or something going on, I do 

all I can to support it. I try to do things that will comfort others. I constantly pray for

others.

Humility teaches us acceptance and ultimately forgiveness.That we are all just oneness we can never be separate in Christ. As one body we are a stronger foundation on which to build Christ'sChurch.

This in turn includes the building up of our Brothers and Sisters spiritually...it's all inclusive. How God teaches us to be. When we put others before self we are embodying Christ!

There is unity in Our Church....

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your church?

We try to achieve unity in the congregation and stress it's importance by teaching that we are united with Christ in his love. We are to be like minded in spirit and tenderness. We are disciples of Christ and put others interest before ours. We are to do this in humility and meekness, not in self interest or ambition.

A lack of humility in our church happened when a person joined the congregation and believed they were appointed by Christ to be a prophet. This person would not submit to church order as expressed in 1 Timothy 3:1-13.

I and those in a ministry of teaching express the Lord's instructions from the New Testament Ephesians 4:1-6 and verse 32.   

Humility is necessary so know one in the congregation can think he or she is better than anyone else. An example of lack of humility can be not offering a ride to and from church to someone else who doesn't have a car. By helping those who can't get to church.

Humility is necessary so know one in the congregation can think he or she is better than anyone else. An example of lack of humility can be not offering a ride to and from church to someone else who doesn't have a car. By helping those who can't get to church.

Q1. (2:1-4). To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? What are you doing to bring unity in your church?

Humility is the foundation of Christianity. Christ emptied Himself of all His Glory and Majesty and made Himself nothing in order to enter Time and Space and take on the form of a human being so that he could redeem us with His precious blood and sacrifice on the cross ..... The most disgraceful form of punishment and death.

He came to minister rather than to be ministered unto ..... I. e. Selfless sacrifice and servant hood.

Positive Humility therefore is serving others and living for others with genuine Love. Therefore if we serve and love our fellow believers then definitely we will be united

Humility is the foundation of Christianity. Christ emptied Himself of all His Glory and Majesty and made Himself nothing in order to enter Time and Space and take on the form of a human being so that he could redeem us with His precious blood and sacrifice on the cross ..... The most disgraceful form of punishment and death.

He came to minister rather than to be ministered unto ..... I. e. Selfless sacrifice and servant hood.

Positive Humility therefore is serving others and living for others with genuine Love. Therefore if we serve and love our fellow believers then definitely we will be united

Q1. (2:1-4). 

To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? 

Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? 

What are you doing to bring unity in your church? 

Over the years I’ve come across people who have been founder members, for say 30 years or more, and have come to regard the church as their own.

They tend to dominate and dictate activities in the church. There was never any maliciousness intended, but more of their pride taking over. 

Of course, we have all experienced people who are motivated by selfish ambition or conceit. They form cliques to promote their own interests.

This all leads to strife, conflict, and division in the church, helping Satan achieve one of his objectives – the destruction of the church. 

Also, a divided church is spiritually weak and has very little power in spreading the Gospel. 

It is only when we are truly humble and act with others in mind that we can obtain unity in the church.

We live in harmony by showing love for each other, and by having the mind of Christ; being united in what we think, not jealous or proud, being humble and considering others more important than ourselves, caring for others as much as we care for ourselves.

However, to do this is completely foreign to our minds, and we cannot do it in our own strength, and only the indwelt Holy Spirit can help us to achieve this. 

I try by not being preoccupied with self, but realize we are all sinners saved by grace.

Q1. (2:1-4). 
To achieve unity in your congregation, why is humility necessary? 
Can you give an example of how lack of humility caused a division in your church? 
What are you doing to bring unity in your church?

"Humility is the quality that lets us go more than halfway to meet the needs and demands of others."  In the church, humility is necessary or each servants of God won't be able to forgive their neighbors when necessary.  Humility is very necessary in the church because that is what Christ teaches us to do.  When we are humble with each person we meet, Holy Spirit works in us by showing the best of others in our lives so we see Christ in that person instead of the person.

Lack of humility in our church  caused emotion tension among members of our church community especially when one or group of person is doing one thing and the other group is not following.  It is this time that the leadership plays an important role in bringing both individuals into an understanding or what is best for the group or church members.  For instance, during our meeting of church council, it was agreed that all the members of the church would split into two working groups for the Easter festivities; however, there was opposition among few members who did not understand the situation. Therefore the leadership or senior person came into play to sort out the situation and make those few individual understand.

A prime example of humility is of course our very own Jesus Christ and Savior as our Lord.

He humbled Himself by shedding His Deity and obey His Father.

His love was a selfless love, full of humility. 

If we don't see and follow His example in our churches, the church cannot thrive. Maybe this is one of the main reasons why so many churches have to close their doors.

We have to work daily, no every hour of the day, to throw off our selfishness and keep our eyes focused on Jesus and His example of servitude. 

Humility is the example that Jesus himself set.  We are to be Christ-like in every area of our lives.  

I was new to my church & the Pastor had known me for years & asked me to be the Men's ministry leader.  The Deacons & other men did not like it.  I fought back at first 7 then God's word began to shape me.  I kept my head in the word & the brothers noticed a change of humility in me & the confrontations ended.

Saints of God we are 1.  I need you & you need me therefore we must work together.

Humility is the example that Jesus himself set.  We are to be Christ-like in every area of our lives.  

I was new to my church & the Pastor had known me for years & asked me to be the Men's ministry leader.  The Deacons & other men did not like it.  I fought back at first 7 then God's word began to shape me.  I kept my head in the word & the brothers noticed a change of humility in me & the confrontations ended.

Saints of God we are 1.  I need you & you need me therefore we must work together.

Many people—even Christians—humility necessary not to live only to make a good impression on others or to please themselves. But selfishness brings discord. Disrespect of elders and Pastors in Church. Paul therefore stressed spiritual unity, asking the Philippians to love one another and to be one in spirit and purpose. The need to work together, caring for the problems of others as if they were our problems, demonstrate Christ’s example of putting others first, and we experience unity. Don’t be so concerned about making a good impression or meeting your own needs that you strain relationships in God’s family.

Selfishness can ruin a church, but genuine humility can build it. Being humble involves having a true perspective about ourselves. It does not mean that we should put ourselves down. Before God, we are sinners, saved only by God’s grace, but we are saved and therefore have great worth in God’s Kingdom. We are to lay aside selfishness and treat others with respect and common courtesy. Considering others’ interests as more important than our own links us with Christ, who was a true example of humility.

The composition of the church reflected great diversity, with people from a variety of backgrounds and walks of life. Acts 16 gives us some indication of the diverse makeup of this church. The church included Lydia, a Jewish convert from Asia and a wealthy businesswoman the slave girl, probably a native Greek; and the jailer serving this colony of the empire, probably a Roman. With so many different backgrounds among the members, unity must have been difficult to maintain. Although there is no evidence of division in the church, its unity had to be safeguarded. Paul encourages us to guard against any selfishness, prejudice, or jealousy that might lead to dissension. Showing genuine interest in others is a positive step forward in maintaining unity among believers.

Jesus Christ was humble, willing to give up his rights in order to obey God and serve people. Like Christ, we should have a servant’s attitude, serving out of love for God and for others, not out of guilt or fear. Remember, you can choose your attitude. You can approach life expecting to be served, or you can look for opportunities to serve others. 

Humility means putting self second, God first, and serving God by serving others. My natural human inclination when in a group is to feel a kind of mental comparison with others that is very distracting. It does not matter who is smarter or better dressed or has the best attendance. Serving God is what matters, and God often uses the least likely people.