JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Prayer with Thanksgiving

Q2. (4:6) 

How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? 

How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

Thanksgiving is an attitude of heart which should always accompany our prayers. 

When we go to God with a request, we are to thank Him right then and there, knowing that we deserve nothing but wrath, and that our Heavenly Father will answer by providing what is best for us, and in His own time. 

We might be inclined to think that our Lord does not answer our prayers because we did not get what we requested.

The fact that we did not get it, is an answer – God said no – does not necessarily mean God does not answer prayers. 

In time to come we will realize that it was the best answer!

We need to count our blessings, remember what He has done in our lives, and how He embraces us with His loving-kindness.

We acknowledge His love, and faithfulness when we add thanksgiving to our prayers.

It also admits that we trust Him fully to be able to answer our prayers. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

God wants us to be thankful to Him when we pray to Him. This pleases Him compared to when we just go on demandingness without showing any appreciation to Him for what He has done and what He will do.

Thanksfulness in prayer demonstrates our faith in the ability of our God to answer our requests. This arises out of our past experiences that He has answered our prayers before and will do it again and again.

We first need to understand that the God we are worshipping is God of the living:

Mat 22:32  I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Therefore our worship unto God is a process of relationship that grows day and night and ties up man to his God in all aspects of life.  Christians should not think that worshipping God only occurs in church or through a kind of ceremonial, or ritual like in other pagan religions.  Jesus has said:

Joh 4:21  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

Joh 4:22  Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We should worship God in our thought, our activities, our work and our relationship with other people around us.  Thus this implies the commandments:

Mar 12:30  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Mar 12:31  And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Once we can understand what it means worshipping God in Christian faith, then the form of prayer will follow naturally as we live. 

Does anyone talk to another with a kind of repetitive formula of words?  Does a child come to his/her father and speak to him with a pre-written text?  So, why many Christians are praying to God with repetitive words?  Do they ignore the word of Jesus Christ teaching them how to pray?

Mat 6:5  And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:7  But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mat 6:8  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Christians should remember that praying to angels, and the spirit of dead men and women is a violation to the first commandment of God:

Exo 20:3  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Christians must never erect statues, or make images for worshipping God like the pagan religions.  The pagan religions worship multitude gods of the dead hence they need images for worshipping.  By making statues, images and symbols for worship, those Christian churches have violated the second commandment of God:

Exo 20:4  Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Exo 20:5  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exo 20:6  And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Any Christian church that violates the commandments of God are the ones of the false prophet (or Lucifer).  God is our Creator and our Father, if we want to show our love to Him, we must abide by His commandments.

How can Christians build relationship with God if they imitate the pagan’s worshipping manners?  How can God be God of the living when we do not worship Him with our life?

When we pray to God, we speak to Him with the language that we can understand.  The Lord Jesus Christ did not teach His disciples to pray with strange languages that they could not understand.  Many Christian churches today, are encouraging followers to “speak in tongues” (glossolalia is the technical term), a form of religious utterance that to the outsider is meaningless and is often confused with gibberish.  That is a form of spiritualism practiced by many Christian churches to show that they are saved for being possessed by the “Holy Spirit”.  Remember God has given mankind freewill, so He allows us to choose to follow Him or not.  The Holy Spirit would never possess any human being either.  Speaking new tongues in the New Testament (Mark 16:17; Acts 2:1-13) is the work of the Holy Spirit that allows the disciples of Christ to preach the Gospel to foreigners.  The disciples were aware of what they were talking about, and the Holy Spirit performed a miracle that allowed the listening foreigners to hear the messages in their native tongues.

Mar 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Act 2:1  And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Act 2:2  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Act 2:3  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:5  And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Act 2:6  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 2:7  And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Act 2:8  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 2:9  Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Act 2:10  Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Act 2:11  Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Act 2:12  And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Act 2:13  Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

What did Paul tell us about speaking unknown tongues?

1Co 14:2  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Co 14:3  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

1Co 14:4  He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

1Co 14:5  I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

1Co 14:6  Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

1Co 14:7  And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

1Co 14:8  For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

1Co 14:9  So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

1Co 14:10  There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

1Co 14:11  Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1Co 14:12  Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

1Co 14:13  Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

1Co 14:14  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Co 14:16  Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

1Co 14:17  For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

1Co 14:18  I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

1Co 14:19  Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1Co 14:20  Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

1Co 14:21  In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

1Co 14:22  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1Co 14:23  If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

1Co 14:24  But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

1Co 14:25  And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

1Co 14:26  How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

1Co 14:27  If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

1Co 14:28  But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1Co 14:29  Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

1Co 14:30  If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

1Co 14:31  For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

1Co 14:32  And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

1Co 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Therefore, the churches that are showing off the gift of speaking unknown tongues are giving to foreigners an impression that their congregations being possessed by an unknown spirit, not a miracle of God’s Spirit.  The Lord Jesus Christ has warned us about the spirits that will deceive the followers of the churches.

Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

There are also many other forms of worship that have been introduced into Christian churches, such as meditation and mysticism.  Those forms of worship also have their origins in pagan religions.  All pagan religions are of Satan, hence Christians must not practise those kind of spiritual exercises to gain inner peace or enlightenment.  If Christians engage themselves in those kind of spiritual exercises, they actually nullify the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  By reaching enlightenment those individuals are walking on the way to become gods.  This is the way that Satan taught Eve and Adam in the first place.

Gen 3:4  And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Gen 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Now, in regards of “thanksgiving” which is an act of gratitude, a natural aspect of life.  There can be no good relationship in a family, or workplace, or society without showing appreciation of the good deeds towards one another.  It is the same between man and God.  We cannot build good relationship with Him, if we do not have any appreciation of His good work for creating us, giving us the breath of life, providing a favourable environment for us to live and grow, protecting us from many dangers, and the most important one is giving us His Only Son as a sacrifice for our salvation.  For those reasons, anyone who wants to worship God, should show his/her appreciation to God in the first place in his/her prayer, or petition.

Thanksgiving will beautify our worship and prayers offered unto God.  It is actually an expression of love that we show to God in our thought, through our work and our interrelationship with our brethren.  Let’s show our appreciation to God through our journey on earth, and grow humbly in obedience and trust in the promise of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.

God hears prayers that are prayed with heartfelt thanks for all God has done and will do. When you believe in your heart that whatsoever you pray for will come to pass, God reacts to that prayer. Stepping out on faith assures you God will answer your prayer.

When we pray and petition for a specific issue, we need to thank God already for the fact that He has answered our prayer. It is an act of faith to say "thanks" in advance. It shows that you trust God for answering your prayer as you thank Him in advance. 

Prayer is a 2-way conversation, be quiet and listen to His answer and then thank Him

Dear Saints by FAITH in Messiah Yahshua.

GREETINGS,

1. You open Yah to meet your challenges head on with a solution when you thank Him for what He has done in your life. Its like He is working on your past faith when you thank Him for what He has done in your life.

2. Thanksgiving affects our faith as we pray because we believe it has already happened. "Thanksgiving is the language of Faith." I love that statement. If we are not grateful for the little things we receive then how can He bless us with the bigger ones,

Shalom

FAITH

When we ask anything of God in Prayer it is important to be thankful...It's being grateful for the gift of our communion with Him....It reaffirms "real two way" relationship. It also humbles us to thank Him in anticipation for prayers answered.

I think thanksgiving in prayer really strengthens our relationship with God. And reaffirms His mighty power.

It highlights our dependancy upon Him for everything. It deepens our Love and gratitude for Him and helps us to trust even more....

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

A request in prayer is altered when we pray with thanksgiving because we are thanking God for the answer to our request before we receive it.

By giving thanksgiving in our prayers and supplications to the Lord we are building our faith in God. We already know he has answered many prayers in the past and so our faith tells us he will answer them in the future.  

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving 

in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

1. We are to offer our prayers to God in the midst of an attitude of 

remembering God's faithfulness, love, and power in past situations, and thus an 

expectation of his answer in this situation.

2. Thanksgiving is the language of faith.Letting him know that we believe him 

in advance.

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving 

in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

1. We are to offer our prayers to God in the midst of an attitude of 

remembering God's faithfulness, love, and power in past situations, and thus an 

expectation of his answer in this situation.

2. Thanksgiving is the language of faith.Letting him know that we believe him 

in advance.

How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer? How does thanksgiving affect our faith as we pray?

Our prayers are to be made in the midst of giving thanks. "Thanksgiving" is  "the expression or content of gratitude, the rendering of thanks, thanksgiving.

God doesn't like whiney, self-pitying prayers any more than you like your children to come to you with that attitude. Whining is a symptom of both unbelief and self-centeredness. It implies that God doesn't really care about the problem or he would have done something already. Whining doesn't exhibit faith. If God doesn't answer your whiney prayers, it's because he doesn't want to raise whining children and so won't reward this behavior.

Instead, he tells us to pray "with thanksgiving." That is, we are to offer our prayers to God in the midst of an attitude of remembering God's faithfulness, love, and power in past situations, and thus an expectation of his answer in this situation. Thanksgiving is the language of faith. I believe that thanksgiving is the key element missing in many prayers.

Joy and gentleness is accompanied with an awareness of Christ's imminent return, should dispel anxiety. Paul's appeal to the Philippians is do not be anxious about anything. But this was not a call to a carefree life. To care and be genuinely concerned is one thing. To worry is another. Paul and Timothy cared for the people they ministered to yet they retained trust in God. Jesus warned against worry which obviously eliminates trust in God.

Paul exhorted the Philippians to prayer instead of anxiety. Praying with thanksgiving involves trusting God. Words used to describe a believer's communion with God are prayer,describes a believer's approach to God, petition emphasizes requesting an answer to a specific need. Thanksgiving is an attitude of heart which should always accompany one's prayers, requests speak of definite and specific things asked for.

When the exhortations are heeded, the peace of God will flood one's troubled soul. The Lord Jesus Christ is a believer's peace and every child of God has peace with God through justification by faith. But the peace of from God, relates to the inner tranquility of a believer's close walk with God.

This peace of God transcends all understanding, that is, it is beyond man's ability to comprehend. This peace guards the believers. Guard translates a military term which means "to protect or garrison by guarding." Like soldiers assigned to watch over a certain area, God's peace garrisons the hearts and.., minds, that is, the emotions and thoughts, of God's children. 

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer?

Answer: When we give thank to the Lord for the answer He will give us in our prayer.

Answer: When we give thanks to the Lord it means that we thank Him in advance for the positive reply He will have in our prayers. It is also showing God that we have faith in Him that He will not let us down in our prayers.

Q2. (4:6) How is a request in prayer altered by the presence of thanksgiving in the prayer?

Answer: It altered our prayer because when we thank God it shows that we trust Him that He will answer our prayer regardless if it is favorable to us or not.

Answer: It affects our faith in a sense that there is belief on our part that God answers prayer...and He does. How many prayers has God answered in our life...and we know that God will continue to answer our prayers in Him.

• 9 months later...
On 5/6/2005 at 11:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God wants us to praise and give thanks when we pray,God delights in our  Thanksgiving.

Our faith is deepened, it changes everything.

• 5 years later...

I'm not certain that Paul is still talking to the two bickering women in  4.6, the verse about thanksgiving, but if he is, then Paul has told these women to:

1) rejoice,

2) be evidently gentle,

3) to not be anxious, 

4) when presenting requests to God in prayer, be thankful.

If he's addressing everyone in 4.6, then he's telling the general congregation to not be anxious and to be thankful. It's very hard -- at least for me -- to know when a verse is specific to a particular time/place/circumstance, in this case, directed to the two women, or something that I can take for myself in my own walk of faith. 

--