JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Daily Bread

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

we are independent because man always disappoints

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Because people do not know what God does in the ream of the spirit

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We should ask God to give us daily bread because the way i undersand, God is the source of everything that our body and soul need.  When Jesus said Bread he did not mean the real bread.  He meant everything that we need on daily basis.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help, because our nature is seeking independent of any body. But we have to be dependent on God. Here, we don't forget to pray to God if we are dependent on him

• 2 years later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

1, pride

2, out of sight out of mind 

3, apart from Him we can do nothing 

• 10 months later...

In times of plenty, we often take credit for our prosperity and become proud that our own hard work and cleverness have made us rich. It is easy to get so busy collecting and managing wealth that we push God right out of our lives.

But it is God who gives us everything we have, and it is God who asks us to manage it for him. When we pray “Give us our food for today,” we are acknowledging that God is our sustainer and provider. It is a misconception to think that we provide for our needs ourselves. We must trust God daily to provide what he knows we need.

• 3 months later...

We don't like to ask any one for help because we think it shows weakness and we think that in order to be mature that we should be able to do everything on our own.

We seek to be independent of God because we don't want anyone to control us but we want to be able to make our own rules and live according to how we feel.

We should ask God for our daily bread even though we have jobs and can go out and buy what we need because God has made it possible for us to have the job and healthy so we can work.  He wants us to depend on Him for everything.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2005 at 5:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Many people are prideful. However, we must be dependent on our Heavenly Father. Everyday that Abba shows us new mercy and grace we should depend on him to provide us with our daily needs.It is Abba that allows us to go to work and have our being. But at the end of the day we must depend on our Heavenly Father. Shalom. 

• 1 month later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

I don’t know about other cultures, but in my culture and from the time I was a child, we were taught—“do things for yourself.” Even in school, we were taught not to help the other person, they needed to learn for themselves. In addition, awards given for excelling individually promotes  the feeling of self-fulfillment.

Sometimes, we seek to be independent of God because our faith is not strong enough, other times we listen to outside voices that say that being dependent on God is a weakness.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Because it is God who gives us the ability and opportunity to earn that living.  He if the Provider. As a Casting Crowns sings, “not because of what I’ve done, but because of who You are.”

• 5 months later...

Aha .. Trick question !!

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

The original sin, that of disobeying the command of God brought us into the realm of wanting to become our own God i.e. the origin of ego with the desire to forge our own destiny through "free will". I believe that the rebellion we carry within us (still don't know why we are apparently born with it) wants us to be self determinate and therefore independent of others for our existence. Actually, this leads to such selfish traits (sins) such as pride, jealousy, gluttony (?), etc. which breaks the fundamental basis for what (I believe) is God's plan; Harmony among all living things.  

Much the same reasons .. why do what God asks us to do when we can do what we want as an independent, 'free', person ? - But we lack the wisdom to see all that is involved with God's plan, we are limited by our abilities (no matter how wondrous they appear to be to us) to carry out the commission that is God's will.

"... He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord" (Deuteronomy 8:3) .. The essence of life and indeed the 'food' to power that essence comes from the experience of life itself. When we ask for "Our daily bread" we are asking for the living experience destined for us by God each day so we may learn, grow, and become more like who God wishes us to become. This is a great question for debate and discussion !

• 2 weeks later...

I may have a weird take on this. In my opinion and my experience. When asking for help, it brings me back to when I was young and would need or ask for help. It was often returned with laughter and bullying from other kids. I believe a lot of my timid nature stems from my childhood and experience with being made fun of. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no angel and have done my share of projecting and returning the hurtfulness. It’s an ugly evil cycle that still happens to all people. Anyway, I’m going off track. I think when people have things easy and don’t feel helpless, they don’t look toward God for help or basic needs. It almost feels redundant to ask for what you already have or ask to hold on to it and keep it safe every day. We have no control over our earthly possessions- even people. We can always request it and ask God to continue leaving it with us. We show the value and the love we have in things when we continue to ask for its security. But what happens if we stop asking? Do we then take it for granted? Seems that it will be thrown in with other not so important things, that we “just know” it’ll be taken care of. I have a hard time with this. 

• 11 months later...
On 9/5/2005 at 8:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

I believe that pride is a prominent reason why people rather be independent of asking anyone for help. I also believe it is because we don't want to feel like a burden; embarrassment is another reason as people won't ask for help. 

I think sometimes we want to be independent of God because we don't want to do it God's way. 

We should be asking God for daily bread because, though we may make our own living we still need Him. He is the one who gives us the ability to go to work each and everyday. We need Him to help us to stay healthy, keep our mind sharp, to have favor on our jobs. We need Him to help us to remain at peace on our jobs and teach us in how to deal with difficult circumstances in our jobs. Also, there are people wit jobs and still homeless, depressed, stressed out. We need God to help us stay in perfect peace. Everyday brings a new challenge. We need God in every aspect of our lives every single day. 

• 4 months later...

1. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? 

My first thoughts are people don't like to be bugged or annoyed these days. Their time is more important to them than lending a helping hand to others. Then there are those who like to figure things out on their own, giving them the feeling of self satisfaction. And then there is fear that if you ask, you may get turned down or given false information. I believe that somewhere in our own ability to think for ourselves we feel that we can figure out a way to achieve what we are searching for on our own. If there is a will than there is a way.  Some people are better at following directions than others.

2. Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Our "self-will" plays an incredible role in our daily living. The basics of life can be repetitive, and thus we live by our lives by daily routines. This seems simple and easy until we get so wrapped up in ourselves that without realizing it we have set God on the back burner and we end up coasting on our own. Because we are born into sin and iniquity our flesh has tendencies to seek for self satisfaction. The pride of life and **** of the flesh, envelopes our desires to reach hubris status. 

3. Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

First you must believe that what you ask, you shall receive. This action of belief in our God is instructed unto us and also have trust in our God that "His Word" is true and He will answer. Each day is anew, and so are the blessings of God. His daily bread is not the same as for us making our own living. We are not promised tomorrow, so whatever we face today, we ask that God would open our walk with Him and prepare us for His will in our lives. Example: I wake in the morning physically breathing and start my daily routines of feeding and dressing my body; however, spiritually I must put on the whole armour of God, and feed my spirit His Word the daily bread. This ensures that I am able to walk in the order He has designed for me and to portray the fruits of the Spririt, and that all my needs will be met through Christ. If I were to fail to dress and feed my spirit, then I would surely fail my flesh and heap a whirlwind of trouble upon myself throughout the day.  Following after God's will ensures us that we can earn a living with His help.

• 1 month later...

In an article called "The Importance of being Independent" by the Delaware Psychological Services, the writers point to some reasons why us humans tend to be independent of each other and by extension of God, even though Jesus told us to the complete contrary.  An extract from this article from their web page at www.delawarepsychologicalservices.com says:

"Being independent gives you the ability to care for yourself - either emotionally, physically or financially.  As result you are in a better situation to assist others.  In turn this increases happiness promotes a sense of belonging, gives you a sense of purpose and increases your life satisfaction."

Question; Who it is that gives you "The ability to care for yourself . . ." ?

Even though many of us know the answer and even the location in the Bible where it comes from (Deuteronomy 8: 18) we do have an urgent need to systematically disabuse ourselves of this societally learnt way of life to line up with the teaching of Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...
On 9/6/2005 at 10:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. If your one who has been brought up by parents who tell you never to ask for help or borrow from others and that your on your own, then this training can influence your decision making on the future believing it’s wrong to ask for help and even worse no one wants to help you. A healthy relationship is being able to give and receive mutually.

2. People who don’t know God do it naturally because it’s the way they were brought up. But once you are born again and get to know Him you never want to be independent nor apart from Him. If you make mistakes along the journey going the wrong way, He is gracious to us in Christ to steer us back into His loving arms. How blessed are we?

3. Daily bread is not just about a job and money to buy bread, it’s daily intimate communion with Him our true bread from heaven enjoying everything pertaining to life with Jesus. It’s asking for complete Shalom - nothing missing, nothing broken, healing and so much more. 

Really good questions.  I think our independence and self-on-the-throne stems waaaaay back in Genesis when satan told Eve that we would be like God if we ate of the forbidden fruit.  That is a deeply rooted ugly scourge of humanity.  I contrast that with the people who hold their hands out in entitlement expecting others to give them whatever it is the beggar wants and then steal whatever is not given.  Both attitudes deny God His role as provider. 

I appreciate your reminder that our jobs and livelihood is from Him. Recently He provided for my husband and I in an unforeseen way--we bought a new build house.  Due to supply issues it was not ready until more than a year after purchase.  Meanwhile the house we were selling went up SO MUCH in price we were able to move with no financial need for a mortgage.  Only GOD could orchestrate that. We are grateful.