JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer for a Revelation of God

Q1. (1:17-18). What do you learn from Paul's manner of prayer for the Ephesian believers?

What I learned from Paul’s manner of prayer for the Ephesians believers, is that, he remembers to pray for them continually, and is thankful for/to them.

If Christians stopped praying for people to receive a revelation of God, would people come to know God on their own?

Yes! I believe that if Christians stopped praying for people to receive a revelation of God, people would come to know God on their own, because God can use whatever and whoever He wants to proclaim Him. Examples: Creation shows there is a God (Psalm 19:1-6), and the rocks will cry out if we hold back our praises to God (Luke 19:37-39).

Psalm 19:1-6The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.”

Luke 19:37-39 - And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

Would God work in them at all?

God can work in whoever and whatever way He wants. He says that His Word “will not return unto Him void.” With the power of the Holy Spirit God can move in the hearts of men.

Isaiah 55:6-11- “Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it, For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.” (KJV)

How important is this kind of prayer?

This kind of prayer is very important because it encourages others to know that someone is continually praying for them, and thanking God for them.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:17-18). What do you learn from Paul's manner of prayer for the Ephesian believers? If Christians stopped praying for people to receive a revelation of God, would people come to know God on their own? Would God work in them at all? How important is this kind of prayer?

Paul prays that the believers would come to know Christ better through the Holy Spirit's work in them to bring about greater understanding.

Yes, people can come to know God on their own but prayer is essential in revealing greater truths about God. God can work in people in any situation but the prayers of other believers and a community of believers of which to belong to are so important to growing in the faith.

This prayer for other believers is so important because some essential growth comes only through God's word revealed through the Holy Spirit into an individual's life. Teaching and mentoring are vital but some knowledge and understanding comes only through prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit in a quiet place.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1:17-18). What do you learn from Paul's manner of prayer for the Ephesian believers? If Christians stopped praying for people to receive a revelation of God, would people come to know God on their own? Would God work in them at all? How important is this kind of prayer?

He remains constant, thankful to God and mindful in his detailed prayer. His prayers are not quick and do my duty type. Paul is into the mission of Jesus Christ for the people. If we stop praying I believe the Spirit of God is still active with each individual. God is not willing that any should perish. Our prayers are important because when we pray in the will of God He is sure to answer and give even more. Prayer changes things. Specific prayers and thankfulness before God are necessary and pleasing. Thankfulness shows our faith in action because we know God will answer. Specific prayers are needed because each situation has its own spiritual needs.

• 2 years later...

The thing that I leaned from Paul’s manner of prayer for the Ephesian believers is that we need to be earnest in our prayers for others. If Christians stopped praying for people to receive a revelation of God they would not know him on their own. It is important to tell people about God but is just as important or more important to pray for them for only the Holy Spirit can get them to understand God.

I think that God’s work is in all humans from the time that they are born. They know right from wrong. But for them to know God they need the Holy Spirit. So this kind of prayer is really important.

• 5 months later...

Paul prayed continuosly for the Ephesian believers that they might come to genuine understanding of truth.

They might understand God's purposes in their lives. They would understand the riches of God's purposes in their lives and the riches of God's glorious inheritance. Paul prayed that believers might experience God's great power.

Preaching gospel needs to be supported by prayers. As we read in NT Jesus ministered to the people during the day time through preaching and performing miracles, but spent the nights praying perhaps for the ministry accoplished. I believe preaching and praying go together. Praying that the word given may work deeply in their hearts and the Holy Spirit convicts and convinces the hearts of the people to change their lives. Many lives have been transformed by prayers.

Spending time in prayer helps strengthen our spiritual lives and lead other people to the path of salvation,

Spiritual growth.

• 4 years later...

Paul prayed that the Ephesians would know Christ better. Christ is our model, and the more we know of him, the more we will be like him. Study Jesus’ life in the Gospels to see what he was like on earth nearly 2,000 years ago, and get to know him. Personal knowledge of Christ will change your life.

The world fears the power of the atom, yet we belong to the God of the universe, who not only created that atomic power but also raised Jesus Christ from the dead. God’s incomparably great power is available to help us all. There is nothing too difficult for him

• 3 years later...

Paul's manner of prayer for the Ephesian believers is so passionate, so loving, so caring.  I learn from Paul that I too can be passionate when praying for believers I know and for believers I do not know but have only heard of.  I do believe God reveals Himself to us, so whether or not we pray, He would continue to reveal.  But sometimes, I know God brings people to cross my path that He wants me to pray for.  We know also from the letter to the Ephesians that the battle is spiritual.  God always is at work, but His will is that we are in relationship with Him and that we pray in this spiritual battle for people according to His will.