JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1:18) How has your Christian "hope" changed your way of living?

I asked Christ into my life as a very young child. What I am saying with this is that I have not lived the contrasts of passing from the dark hopelessness into the light of hope. I did recognize my personal need for a Savior, and the need for forgiveness of my sins but living in a missionary family I was surrounded by the HOPE of the Gospel and choose it without ever personally experiencing the dark, despair of no hope. I could see that in others and wanted to avoid it.

What is the result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope?

Christians with meager hope live don't live in the fullness of what is offered them. It is like being at an amazing banquet and insisting on only the crumbs or left overs when God is offering you a reserved, privileged place.

How would you pray for hope to be borne in others?

That they would see the "light", desire it, and enter into it. I observe that many are so blinded and bond in darkness that they don't get it. We who live in that "hope" are a bunch of antiquated weirdos to them. Oh, God, through the Holy Spirit, open their eyes!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:18) How has your Christian "hope" changed your way of living? What is the result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope? How would you pray for hope to be borne in others?

I've been a Christian -- though a weak and flawed one -- for 20 years and yet live without "hope". It only affects my way of living in the sense that I don't mind if and when I die.

The lesson's description:

Hope refers to a faith in what will happen in the future, "expectation." Joy is the direct result of faith and hope. Have you ever met a person without any hope or expectation? How sad. They are ready to die, want to die. They are apt to die by their own hand, even. Because they have nothing to look forward to, thus no joy, no faith in a future that God will bring.

describes me well,sad to say, and so I can answer the second question from my own experience:

What is the result of a "meager or minute hope" ? It is a lack of joy and purpose.

How would I pray for it be born in others? (and myself) -- As Paul does, continually praying "that the eyes of our hearts may be enlightened in order that we may know the hope to which he has called us"

• 2 months later...

Q2. (1:18) How has your Christian "hope" changed your way of living?

My Christian “hope” which is in believing in Jesus Christ as my personal Savior that He died for my sins, was buried, rose again, and is coming back for me some day is my hope. Knowing that this I have a future home of love and peace with my blessed Father, Savior, and the family of God.

This has changed my way of thinking and living, because I know that this world will not last forever with all of its sinful pleasures and wickedness. Until God calls me home, or come back for me I am living and telling others about the hope that Christ brings when we place our trust and faith in Him.

Titus 2:11-15 - “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”(KJV)

What is the result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope?

The result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope is that they are living a defeated life ready to die, and wanting to die. Because they have nothing to look forward to, no joy, no faith in a future that God will bring.

How would you pray for hope to be borne in others?

I will pray for hope to be borne in others as Paul did recognizing that we have been called to “hope.” Praying that our hope expand, embrace, and comprehend the hope of the future we have in Jesus Christ.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (1:18) How has your “hope” changed your way of living? What is the result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope? How would you pray for hope to be borne in others?

My hope took the place of worry and sleepless nights. It was replaced with joy for the things to come in this world and for what is promised in the next life, “eternal life.” Those Christians with only a meager or minute hope have just that. It is a fleeting moment of faith that satisfies the moment. The rest of life is still a burden that they carry. Eternal life to them may only be a question mark of belief in their hearts. I would pray for others to experience what I have and use detailed prayer when praying for them. In this prayer I would give thanks to God for answering my prayers for others and reminding Him of how thankful I am for all He has done for me. I would remember the details of what God did and speak them to Him as gave more thanks for what He would do for the others I was praying for.

• 2 years later...

The way that Christian “hope” has changed my way of living is that it helps me to put up with the day to day things that go on. I know that this life here on earth is not the ultimate existence. I know that I will be going up to Heaven when the time comes. People that have only meager or minute hope are usually down cast people because they see things happening and think that this is all that there is. I do pray of others to have the hope so that they can have a bright life.

• 5 months later...

My hope is in the Lord. God's word filled me and encouraged me with that hope. The heroes of faith mentioned in Heb 11 continued and stood firm in faith because of the things they hoped for which they had not seen. I believe that God has kept for me the rewards promised in his word. I may not physically see the fruits of the promises here and now, but God has given me the hope that as a child of God I will be spending eternity in heaven. All the promises may not be fulfilled in this life, yet I will focus on the hope God has promised. The blessed hope fills me with joy,peace gives me the strength to face discouragements, disappointments,failures and fears.

Christians with meagre hope are the most defeated people. They live for the present without hope of living with God for eternity.

Prayer for such people,that they might be spiritually enlightened,their faith may be strengthened and the Holy Spirit may speak to their hearts and lead them to that blessed hope.

• 4 years later...

Hope changes your way of living“Not guilty; let him go free.” What would those words mean to us if we were on death row? The fact is that the whole human race is on death row, justly condemned for repeatedly breaking God’s holy law. Without Jesus we would have no hope at all. But thank God! He has declared us not guilty and has offered us freedom from sin and power to do his will.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (1:18) How has your Christian "hope" changed your way of living? What is the result of Christians with only a meager or minute hope? How would you pray for hope to be borne in others? Hope in Christ has changed my life in that I KNOW He is REAL; I KNOW He calls me to be with Him in a place He has prepared. I LOOK FORWARD to that day!!! With only meager hope, Christians suffer even more than whatever their suffering is, because they add worry and anxiety to the problem. Hope is borne in others through the Living Word of God. His Word changes us.  Psalm 147: 15-18 reminds us that, " He sends his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly. He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes. He hurls down his hail like pebbles. Who can withstand his icy blast? He sends his word and melts them; he stirs up his breezes, and the waters flow." God can melt our icy hearts.  God speaks through His Word to accomplish Hope for us: breezes and flowing water!  Much better than ice.