JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. First and Last

On 2/14/2006 at 8:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?  It basically means that God Almighty is the only God there is and ever will be: He is the first as Creator, and He is the last, as the one who can end things-- He is the Alpha and the Omega.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God is eternal (Deuteronomy 32:40). God lives forever.  God is our refuge-whnoat a great source of comfort during this covid pandemic.  We cannot number His years.  Our concept of time is very limited.  St Augustine wrote beautifully on the concept of time in his Confessions.   Truly our God is my present help now. 

Jesus Christ is the second person of the Holy Trinity.  He was always eternal !  He being the brightness of His glory and the express image of his person (Hebrews 1:3).  We don't follow the Jehovah Witness doctrine that Jesus Christ was Michael the Archangel.  Latter Days Saints have a faulty doctrinal position as well.   Gnostic philosophy affected the Colossian church because it did not uphold the eternal nature of Jesus Christ.   Christ is more than an emanating or angelic being.

• 1 year later...

God has always existed and will always exist. How wonderful that is! There is not other god. God is the beginning and the end. What people doesn't understand, it will end with him. You are still going to have to meet your creator. A person is not going to meet another god or just stop existing. The end of this is meeting the Creator of all even if a person chooses not to except him. You still will have to face your creator.

Revelation 1:8 relates to Moses. He is who he is it's not going to change. He has always existed. He is all powerful and that will not change. He is the one and only and that will not change. He is all knowing and that will not change. He will not change. He is real and He has redeemed his people and he is coming back.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. First and Last
  • 3 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?
He was the begging and He is the end. There is no other God but Him. He’s all knowing and all seeing. The creator of all things.

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?  
‘I AM THAT I AM, means that God is our everything. He wanted Moses to let the Israelites know that their provider, protector, defender, their God was going to through Moses free them from the slavery they were in. I AM THAT I AM would also let them know that it wasn’t one of the many gods the Egyptians worshiped, I AM THAT I AM was and is set apart. The only living and true God.