JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. First and Last

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8)

What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

This tells me that God is the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega. He spans time and eternity, the source of all creation

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

[/quote

In Isaiah, God said, "I am the First and the Last:" there is no other God." He is the one and only God. He was before time began, He is now and will always be. In Revelation, God said, "I am the Alpha and Omega-the beginning and the end. I am the one who is, who always was and who is still to come." These two verses, speak for themselves. He is the only God. Period.

• 3 months later...

He has not abandoned us, even though we are deep in sin and struggle with so many hardships and trials. God will come and exert judgment. This gives me both trust and fear. Trust in the Lord of all times (Prov. 3:5) and fear as God judges those who are not faithful to Him.

God lives beyond a timeframe. He lies in eternal present and He can do things beyond the constraints of time.

• 5 weeks later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

The First and the last means the Alpha and the Omega or the only One. God was there from before time began and will still be there when time passed away. If we look at in history there was never a time that God was not, if we look towards the future, there is never a time that God will not be. God revealed that to Moses when He said I AM THAT I AM. God is not created or carved out of wood or a figment of man's imagination, God's salvation and care for his people is eternal. He is the creator and sustainer. God is ageless, always existing and never changing.

God is good, loving and trustworthy. I can trust Him that He IS, he does not change, Deut 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. Just like a baby is secure in its mother's arms, so we are also secure in God's everlasting arms

Being the first and last tells me about God's eternal nature. He was in the beginning, He is now and He will be in the indefinite future. Because He is eternal, He knows the beginning from the end and the end from the beginning. Therefore, He knows right where I need to be and what I need to get there. It also tells me that I am never on my own - He is forever present. The first and the last is very much related to "I AM THAT I AM". He IS who He says He is and He will faithfully reveal His nature as He works in and through us.

The idea the "first" and "last" expresses God's affinity with the Universe...The Vastness and the miniscule....Everything....All the was and All that Is...And all that will be...over-riding destructive powers in the understanding of the Eternal......The Revelation 1:8 relates to God's revelation to Moses of "I AM THAT I AM" in that it represents the definition of Eternity with which mankind can work and create beneficial endeavours.

• 4 weeks later...

3. a. He is the beginning and the end. He always was and always will be. He is the first and the last, the only God. The Alpha and Omega. He which was and is and evermore shall be. There is no other God before Him and there never will be after Him.

b. I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. I AM THAT I AM.

I was in the beginning and I will be in the end. I will always be with you. I am the faithful God. I am God eternal.

• 2 months later...

First and last makes me to know that God is God and that there is no other He is the beginning and the end. They both reveal the eternal nature of God, names to be remembered from generation to generation.

• 1 month later...

Isaiah 44:6; "Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god."

Revelation 1:8; "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

The idea of first and last reminds me about God is that he's the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega. According to Revelation 1:8; "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." it tells that his name of God that describes God.

Rev 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Isa 44:6 Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

The first and the last tell me that God was here BEFORE anything else was. And he WILL BE THE LAST thing on earth. HE is who he is and NOBODY ELSE :)

Isa 44:6 Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Rev 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

The idea of "the first and the last" to me show that God will be and has been eternal. He has no beginning and He will have no end. The two go hand in hand as God is saying both that He is and always will be forever

• 1 month later...

The expression of the first and the last in Isaiah and Revelation fits with His description of being infinite, omnipresent and not constrained by time or other physical laws as we know them. He was there at the creation of our physical universe and (by His design) created the Laws of Physics under which it operates. He is infinite, not just because He was forever and will be forever. His presence transcends time as we know it. He can see and exist in the past, present and future simultaneously. Again, because of our earthly constraints, this is something we can

• 2 months later...

There is no one or nothing before or after Him; He is eternal; before and after time’s existence (He’s outside of time). He is the beginning and end of all existence. “I AM THAT I AM” explains God’s eternal power and unchangeable character. He is the eternal ruler of the past, present, and future.

• 5 weeks later...

It shows me that God is an equal oportunity God, but as apposed to earth where the the first are the wealthy heaven will make the poor downtrodden who only existed last if anything became first in everything. Praise God.

• 1 year later...

He is the beginning and end. Time is in His hands. He is Time.  He is which is , which was and which is to come. He is the almighty. Who can be compared to Him? No one.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

God has always been. Who can know how long He existed before He created everything? He existed before creation and He'll be there at the end of time as we know it.

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

The tense used in God's revelation to Moses can mean: "I am who I am, I will be who I will be, and I have always been who I have always been". God's revelation to Moses indicated His eternal nature.

Guest Kiteline

For an architect God is both the foundation and the pinnacle of his building. In a race, He is the beginning and the finish line. Everything we do has both it origins and its hope in God. Every moment in between is filled with thankfulness for what He has started and its ultimate fulfillment and enjoyment is found in who He is. When we claim a different source like ourselves or the goodness of mankind, and live for a different end like our own glory or pleasure, we are actually living for another god and are stealing from the glory of God. In doing so we are actually shortening the timeline of history and only looking at a subsection of one dimension ... ignoring its true beginning & its true end or ultimate destination.

If scripture also teaches that God is eternal then He has no beginning or end, so this can't be literal in nature. When we start an action we usually have some end-game in mind and so it is with all of creation. The glory of God is what began all we see & know, and its that same glory that ought to consume all we do & are. All to often the end-game I have in mind drastically falls short of God's. Likewise my starting point isn't always with God. I am challenge to take more to Him in prayer before starting anything I do. And as I go along I need to constantly evaluate if I am staying on track toward the same end-game as my Lord Himself desires.

• 1 year later...

The First and the Last meaning The one who is and always will be. There is no one before me, there there will be no one after me.I am everlasting, from age to age.

God's revelation to Moses was to give clarity to the name Yahweh the one and only true God. He is the eternal one.

• 1 year later...

Names of God; Lesson 3; Isaiah 44:6; Rev 1:8

Q3: What does the idea of "First and Last" tell you about God?

First means there was nothing before Him. Anything else that is, He created. Last means He is eternal...nothing will outlast His existence. He will always be "God".

How does Rev. 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses. "I AM that I AM"?

He is the Almighty the ruler of all! Both refer to God as Self existent....always was, is now and always will be. He is Sovereign over ALL! All life is contained in Him.

• 2 years later...

For me the idea of “first” and “last” is putting a constraint on God in terms of time. I would like to think of this idea as - in Him everything begins and in Him everything ends and everything in between is sustained by Him. As Bible also speaks of God inhabiting eternity, and that He is eternal and everlasting, the idea of “first and last” is given in the scriptures to visualize it from a human perspective. In Revelation 1:8, when Jesus says that I am the first and the last or using the Greek alphabets Alpha and Omega or in English language equated to A to Z, He is basically saying that He is the Eternal One. He is the unchanging, eternal and everlasting God. I AM THAT I AM means the self-existent one. In that sense, first and the last and I AM THAT I AM essentially mean the same thing.

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 5:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The idea of "first" and "last" reveals that God has no beginning and end and that He is eternal. He was there before anything was created and He always will be there. God Himself said "... I, the LORD--with the first of them and with the last -- I am He." (Isaiah 41:4). And again, "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god." (Isaiah 44:6). 

(Revelations 1:8) "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." This verse relates to God's revelation to Moses "I AM THAT I AM" because both verses show that God transcends beyond time and is everlasting. "I AM THAT I AM" means Self-existent One and this is what the verse also says. 

• 11 months later...

First and last tells me that He was before all creation and that he will be with us forever. He will be the first and last one we will worship and adore. The only true God and His Word stands forever. His Word is eternal and will never fade away. He is the first one who offered up His Son for a sacrifice for sins and there is none like Him. Nor will there ever be another god.

Revelations !:8 and Moses revelation relate to each other in that God told Moses ,"I am that I am." That God is eternal and unchanging. God was and always has been world without end. He is the same God who spoke to the patriarchs and who speaks to us. The first because He was always here and the last because He will be in heaven forever.

• 1 month later...

The idea of "first" and "last" as used in Isaiah 46: 6 tells me that God is eternal.  To my way of thinking God is like a circle.  A circle has no beginning and no end, just like God.   God is from everlasting, before the worlds were, and will be to everlasting, when all things may have passed away.  Hadn't God been there to create, there would have been nothing, not the world, not the people in it, there would have been absolutely nothing.

God's revelation of Himself to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM" and Revelation 1:8 very much relate to each other because when God spoke to Moses, what He was actually saying was that His name encompasses all that He is.  The heathen nations had a god for everything, e.g. a god for their crops, another god  the weather, a god for fertility, etc. But the God who spoke to Moses was/is one God capable of handling everything.  I AM THAT I AM says to me that whatever I want Him to be for me, HE IS.  My healer, provider, deliverer, and the list goes on.  Revelation 1: 8 sums up in a nutshell who He is, the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, (the Genesis and the Revelation) who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.  He has always been, and He will always be.