JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Potter and Clay

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

He is the Potter and we are the clay. The clay has no right to dictate to the Potter how the clay has to be molded or what the clay has to be made into. We all have a unique role in this world to please the Master. And it is for this purpose that He has made us and wired us with different abilities and skills. But if we challenge His judgement, we are actually opposing His ability to do what is right for our lives.

But we, His creation, has always sought to counsel the Lord. As though He needed our counsel!!! We tell Him how things have to be worked out and what He could do in order to bring about our desired outcome. Rather than treating Him with reverence as our Creator, we treat Him as though He is the genie in the lamp, who has to serve us at our every beck and call. We tell Him that He is the Lord of our lives, and handover the keys of our lives to Him, only to take it back, so that we may be in control of our lives.

He is not only my Creator, but He is my Redeemer. And He has proven His love for me by going to the Cross and redeeming me!!! With outstretched arms pinned to the cross, He has declared His love for me and I know that He will make all things to work together for my good. Because He has placed His love in my heart, I love Him and I am called according to His purpose. So I need to trust Him with my situations and circumstances knowing, He not only has the ability to destroy but also the ability to restore, heal and re-create anything that He wants, even that which has been destroyed. And all with ultimately be for the glory of His name and I need to yield to His working in my life, knowing that I am precious in His sight and I will see the goodness of the Lord in my life.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/15/2006 at 5:49 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

It is ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter because the pot came to the Potter as a clay and was molded into a pot. It cannot wish to be something else because it has no power over itself. God is the Potter and we are the clay. We shouldn't second-guess God because He knows the plans He has for us and they are of peace not evil, to give us an expected end so we need to put our trust in Him, knowing that His purpose for us is far better than anything we could come up with for ourselves.

We Christians may second-guess God during our times of trouble, when we feel God isn't answering our prayers, or when we aren't happy with ourselves.

A better attitude and behavior before our Creator would be to trust in God because He is the One Who molded us into His image and His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours.

• 11 months later...

It is ridiculous for the the pot to second guess the potter when the potter knows beforehand what he wants to make out of the pot or clay. The potter knows what has to be done and how long it will take. The pot does not know anything about the potters intentions.

I believe we Christians do this when we find ourselves in situations we do not like. When we think we deserve better from God. When we decide to make decisions without Him; and complain when things go wrong and blame Him. 

A better attitude would be to seek God's' advice about our lives and His will and then trust Him to work things out.

• 1 month later...

It is ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter because the Potter is the one with the brains here.  The pot is just a lump of lifeless clay without even a head to hold a thought.  It has no ability to do anything.  It cannot make any decision as to what it wants to be.  The Potter is the mastermind.  He decides what he is going to make and executes it as is reflected in Jeremiah 18: 3b, 4.

We Christian second-guess our Maker by 1. deciding what we want in and for our life.  We even go as far as referring to those of us who do this as 'carnal minded' and advise that prayer is the way to go.                                                 2. telling God what we want.  When we do this we consider it as being 'spiritual' because we 'pray'.  But whether we make our own decisions or tell God what we want, we are being as ridiculous as the pot telling the Potter what to do.

A better attitude and behaviour before our Creator is to be malleable and say to Him, Master we are the clay, and You are the Potter.  We may not like what He wants for us but like Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, we should humbly cry "LORD not my will but thine".

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? We forget that the hand that birthed us also birthed the universe so we're inclined to question why we are the way we are. But of course this indeed is ridiculous because God Our Creator made us as individuals with unique characteristics of His choosing. Questioning our Father, Maker and Creator is basically disrespecting the our own existence.

What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator? We should be grateful to God, for creating the masterpiece that we are and as one preacher says, "we are wonderfully made." Even though I'm often filled with self-doubts about my appearance, I am thankful that I have the face and mind that some find appealing. Just because I can't always appreciate what God created in me, it doesn't mean I should grumble about it to my Creator.  We should always remind ourselves to show him gratitude through prayers and thank Him profusely for the face, body and mind that He birthed into us. 

• 5 months later...

It is futile to doubt God.  Our God is omnipotent and omniscient.  His ways are not our ways,His thoughts are not His thoughts. I admire the prophet Ezekiel when God told him not to weep when his wife died and when he was told to prophesy to the mountains, valleys and valley of dead bones.   He submitted to the Lord.   In Hebrew, prophet Ezekiel addresses God as Adonai Elohim Hashem repeatedly.. He had a very deep sense of the majesty and holiness of God

Christains fall short when they don't command God according to Isaiah 45:11.  To command God is an expression of friendship, respectful petition.  Nothing will be possible to the believer.  Apostles and others commanded men to be free from In -firmity.  (Acts 3:6; 5:16;9:34,40; 13:11)

Our  attitude is to diligently appropriate the promises that are for the believer; however, we must abandon ourselves to God.  Carefully examining ourselves for any deceitful ways in our characters.

• 1 year later...

Because the Potter is the Creator. We are not the creator. God is the Creator and we are the creation. The Creator which is God always knows what he is doing. Sometimes when we don't fully understand something we say things like we would have done it like this or this isn't the right way. We want to do it this way. That's wrong.

Humans have limited understanding of things overall. It is best to consult with God when we don't fully understand something so we will not get the wrong idea about his character.

• 6 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 6:03 AM, pickledilly said:

I'm called to trust that what my Creator does is right. I should be humble, grateful, and content in His purposes and provisions. I need to seek His wisdom and timing instead of running off on my own so much. I'm too prone to making my "big" plans and then expecting Him to see them through, when in truth, this little pot has no right to make demands of the Potter. I must yield to the Spirit's work to conform my will to His, not try and conform His will to mine.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Potter and Clay
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

The pot is a created image, it wouldn’t excise if the potter hadn’t created it. I was made from a design formed in the potters mind so it is ridiculous for the pot to second guess the potter. 

How do we Christians do this?
When we feel equal to God, or think we know what’s best for us verses God who created us. 

What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?
To love and worship our Creator. He formed us in our mothers womb and made us in His image. He alone knows what’s best for us and what we need. No one knows us better than Him, I believe He knows us better than we know ourselves.