JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Lord Will Provide

Names of God 8

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position? Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God? In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

Genesis 22:1-14 (NLT): 1 Later on God tested Abraham's faith and obedience. "Abraham!" God called."Yes," he replied. "Here I am." 2 "Take your son, your only son -- yes, Isaac, whom you love so much -- and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will point out to you." 3 The next morning Abraham got up early. He saddled his donkey and took two of his servants with him, along with his son Isaac. Then he chopped wood to build a fire for a burnt offering and set out for the place where God had told him to go. 4 On the third day of the journey, Abraham saw the place in the distance. 5 "Stay here with the donkey," Abraham told the young men. "The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back." 6 Abraham placed the wood for the burnt offering on Isaac's shoulders, while he himself carried the knife and the fire. As the two of them went on together, 7 Isaac said, "Father?""Yes, my son," Abraham replied."We have the wood and the fire," said the boy, "but where is the lamb for the sacrifice?" 8 "God will provide a lamb, my son," Abraham answered. And they both went on together. 9 When they arrived at the place where God had told Abraham to go, he built an altar and placed the wood on it. Then he tied Isaac up and laid him on the altar over the wood. 10 And Abraham took the knife and lifted it up to kill his son as a sacrifice to the LORD. 11 At that moment the angel of the LORD shouted to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!""Yes," he answered. "I'm listening." 12 "Lay down the knife," the angel said. "Do not hurt the boy in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld even your beloved son from me." 13 Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a bush. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering on the altar in place of his son. 14 Abraham named the place "The LORD Will Provide." This name has now become a proverb: "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided."

In this account of Abrahams faith and obedience to the LORD who had revealed Himself to Abraham, the whole passage suggests to me that Abraham was in new spiritual territory. Abraham had no real past experience here of what his LORD would require of him in worship. The fact that Abraham went so far as to raise the knife above his son Isaac strongly suggests that he was quite prepared to go the whole distance. This, coupled with the fact that sacrifice of the first born was common practice in Canaan before, during and even after the generation of Abraham, gives me the very strong impression that Abraham was acting in faith and obeying Gods command without knowing what the consequences would be.

That is the whole point of this Bible narrative. For me this is the very crucial time in mans meeting with his Maker. Abraham is indeed the hero of all human kind for his faith and obedience. I really do believe that God was testing man here. The LORD was searching the human spirit. He found a man willing to sacrifice his only begotten son for his God. Now what does this remind us of? We know later that the LORD really did have to sacrifice HIS only begotten Son. There was no pulling out at the last minute, either. Jesus really did have to die for us! I believe that is why the LORD did this to Abraham. He wished to see whether a man would be prepared to sacrifice his only son for God. In Abraham He found one such man who passed the test. Now we must all be thankful to Abraham for this! Through his actions all mankind has been able to know forgiveness through Jesus. God was so faithful to His promise to Abraham because all the nations really have been blessed through Abrahams seed. We have been blessed with the Word of God; the Lord Jesus Christ.

I must admit that countless times I have received a last minute provision from God; too numerous to mention. As I sit here and write I know that I am still here, despite the many tribulations and problems in my life. I have every faith in this God of ours. The LORD really is there for us and He does help us. I have seen it in my own life time and time again. It is not always what I wanted, when I wanted it and I have many things lacking in my life, but I know that the LORD knows better than I what I need and when I need it. So I trust Him.

I believe that God helps the wicked as well as the good. He does not differentiate between people. He looks after all people. We are all His people, His creation, some know it and some do not; it does not make too much difference as to the way in which the LORD sends His love. Our reward for following Him will not be given here on earth. We only have to meditate upon the fate of Jesus Apostles to know that. Remember what horrible deaths these brave men came to. That is not a just reward is it! Only in terms of the Kingdom can this be really understood for the reward that it is. Yet these were the very best of men, specially chosen by Jesus. So if they met with a horrible death for all the wonderful good things they did upon the earth, then it does not follow that we should expect to be treated better than the wicked. If we are truly followers of Jesus, then in our love for our fellow brother and sister, wicked or not, we would want only the best for them. That is Gods way with people and Jesus taught us that it should be our way, too. There are no conditions and no certain circumstances when God will provide. God gives and He gives to us all, good or bad. And we should be thankful for it. God is love and that love is for all. Personally I am glad. I love this that our LORD is so kind and caring about all His creation. I know that He loves me when I am good and I know that He loves me when I sin. Of course He has His demands of us, but as long as we can believe in our hearts that Jesus came in the flesh, that He was crucified for the forgiveness of sins and that He was raised on the third day, then that is the New Covenant with our Maker. We people will never completely eradicate sin from our lives in this world. God knows this, but we can give ourselves the second chance in the Kingdom to come by acknowledging the Son, Gods greatest Gift to mankind.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14)

Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?

What support do you have for your position? Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God?

In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

I think this was a real test of faith, to see how much Abraham would obey God

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position? Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God? In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

Yes, I believe Abraham expected God to provide a sacrifice, and I feel he told Isaac that, so he would not be afraid. The pagans practiced human sacrifice, and God condemned it as a terrible sin, Lev 20: 1-5. God didn't want Isaac dead, but He wanted to know that Abraham, loved and obey God to the point that he would have killed his son.

Yes, I have received a last-minute provision. Our God is so generous, He will supply our needs, physical, emotional and spiritual. All He asks is our love and obedience.

• 4 months later...

I think that Abraham learn to trust God through his walk with God to know that God will keep His word. He told Abraham that his descendants will be like the stars and that he will have a son in his old age. When Isaac was born, he knew He could rely on God and trust God to either provide the sacrifice or to raise Isaac from the dead. He was willing to do whatever God asked and with that trust in mind, he could reassure Isaac that God will provide. I think when he laid Isaac on the altar, he must have told him not to worry, God will raise him up because he was the promised child. Otherwise I don't think that Isaac would be willing to be a sacrifice. He must also have seen the way that Abraham walked with God to trust his father that much.

I have often received provision from God, always in time. God often test our trust. God will supply all our needs, not our greeds. He said so in His Word and we can trust him for that. God gives us so much more than what we need, we are so blessed, but we have to give thanks for everything and be willing to do His will and obey Him like Abraham did.

• 4 months later...

Abraham's words I believe are prophetic. Abraham was actually going to simply obey God to sacrifice Isaac just as he was asked to do by God. He wouldn't have told his promised son Isaac that he, Isaac was the sacrificial lamb. But according to Heb. 11: 17-19 Abraham was expecting miracle to happen even if he obeyed God by killing Isaac because he believed the assurance of Gods word that 'it is through Isaac his offspring will be recognized', he went ahead in his love for God and obedience to God's commands to go ahead and sacrifice his only son trusting God for a miracle that God who gave him the boy even at old age could raise the boy from dead

I have received last minute provision from God several times, on my job, health, financial etc and we should expect God to supply our needs in all circumstance It is our needs He will not supply what we do not need. We need to know, love, trust and obey Him

• 5 months later...

Yes, I believe that Abraham trusted God that much. I believe he thought that God would intervene before he had to sacrifice Isaac or he believed that God would bring him back to life afterwards. I also think he told Isaac that God would provide the sacrifice because he didn’t know what else to tell him. Much like some of us do with our own children when we don’t know what to tell them about some of the things they ask.

I’m quite sure I have received a last minute provision from God on several occasions but can’t think of a specific one at this moment. What circumstances for God to supply our needs, it’s hard to say because God moves when He wants to move on any circumstances He feels like. The bible says that He will supply our needs and He knows what they are. Regardless the situation, the conditions are that we have faith, are obedient, and seek Him first.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Abraham didn't know that God would provide a sacrifice since he was being tested for obedience and like all humans.

• 3 months later...

Abraham was always obedient toward God. He believed God and God's promise to him that his descendents would be so many it would be impossible to count. Even though he brought Isaac up to be sacrified, he knew God will provide the sacrifice since he confidently told the servants that he and Isaac would be coming back.

Yes I have received many last-minute provision from God.

God is a good, faithful, compassionate and merciful God and he always supply our needs. However we have to understand that we reap what we sow and we have to take responsibility for any wrongly actions/decisions that are not pleasing to God. If our walk is pleasing to Him, we will reap the blessings and be like trees planted beside streams of living water.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position?

We read in the New Testament that Abraham knew God could raise Isaac back to life. Even so, I believe Abraham trusted God completely and knew that whatever the outcome of the day's events that he would be taking Isaac back home in one piece, alive and well. Abraham knew without doubt that God would do one of two things: God would raise Isaac to life after Abraham had killed him, or God would provide a substitute sacrifice. God had promised Abraham that he would have descendants through Isaac and his amazing faith in God sustained him on that day of testing. "Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness" the Bible says.

Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God?

In my personal experience, last minute provision is all God's ever done! If I had what I considered more than enough for my circumstances, God seemed to allow it to slip from my fingers until I had nothing. Then when all seemed lost, He'd give me just enough to keep going. I've actually cried out to the Lord in desperation many times to give me more help than He was currently giving me and even told Him that I'd cease believing in Him unless He did. Everything seems to come much harder to me than to most people.

Just lately though that seems to be changing. I don't know why. Unless there's something big coming up. I'm careful to thank God for this change of circumstances.

In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

Jesus teaches us to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and our needs will be met.

• 3 years later...

I do not believe that Abraham was expecting to do anything else than to give Isaac as  an offering. Abraham we are told by the inspired writer of Hebrews expected God to raise him from the dead. I think further as he pondered what was to be said to Sarah, he soothed his conscience by reminding himself that "Jehovah will see to it". No doubt he wondered what his acquaintances in the land would say when they found out that he had sacrificed Isaac, and again concluded "Jehovah will see to it".

I have often been suprised unexpected gifts, or circumstances that have worked out to good for me. But God's providence is not always so clear immediately.

• 2 years later...

In the three day journey that Abraham undertook obeying the voice of God, in his mind Isaac was as good as dead. The New Testament commentary of this incident says in Hebrew 11:19 “Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure”. So he believed that God will resurrect Isaac from the ashes. This is thought provoking because Abraham at that time doesn’t even know experientially about resurrection. But still he believed and in that three day journey, none of those around him could gauge the task he was going to undertake. Sarah wouldn’t have sent Isaac with Abraham had she known the purpose for which he is taking their son with him. But so strong was Abraham’s faith that he says to the servants – we will come back after we worship.

I believe when Abraham said that the Lord will provide the lamb, he was speaking prophetically. For in the previous chapter God did say to Abimelech that Abraham is a prophet. When the Lord stopped the sacrifice of Isaac, they didn’t see the lamb in the mountain but a ram – a full grown male sheep. And Abraham is naming the “place” Jehovah Jireh meaning the Lord will provide and in the mountain of the Lord it shall be seen. It is talking in a futuristic tense. What shall be seen in the mountain of the Lord in a future time for Abraham? The Lamb of God provided by the Lord, to be a burnt offering unto Him – the only begotten Son whom the Father loved. For Jesus says in the gospel of John – your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad (John 8:56). The parallels of Abraham’s sacrifice of Isaac and the sacrifice of Jesus is astounding. And I believe that Calvary may have been in the place where Isaac was to be sacrificed. For his sacrifice was supposed to take place in one of the mountains of Mount Moriah where the Temple stood later on.

Yes, I have received last minute provisions many times. If God has promised to meet a need, it shall surely be provided for in His absolutely perfect time.

• 1 year later...

I believe that Abraham believed it was what God wanted him to do and that If he obeyed that God would provide a sacrifice or raise him from the dead.

Abraham got the wood ready and put Isaac on the altar and was ready to kill him.

No, not that I can remember.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2006 at 1:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice and was not just saying that to Isaac.

The support I have for my position is found in verse five of Genesis 22, where he said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there.  We will worship and then we will come back to you."

I have received last minute provisions from God.   One day I left home to go to the market.  When I arrived at one of the two five-corners in the town where I live, I heard in my spirit 'go in the Ward'.  Amelia's Ward is a housing scheme in this town.  My daughter and her family live there.  To go to the Ward I would have had to turn right, instead, I turned left and at the next corner as I turned right enroute to the market there was a traffic cop checking vehicular documents.  He pulled me over and asked for my documents, and that was when I discovered that I was driving around with an expired road license.  Of course I was charged and was instructed to go to court on a given date.  I was praying and trusting God that I wouldn't have to pay a heavy fine because I am a pensioner and do not have a job.  I went to court, and when my case was called, the magistrate warned me not to let it happen again and let me go without having to pay a fine.   Another morning I was on my way to the city.  When I got to the cross-road to leave the housing scheme where I live I sensed strongly to turn left, instead, I turned right and as I proceeded along the road I decided to give a nurse, who was waiting at the side of the road on transportation to take her to work, a lift, and without checking my rear view mirrors or putting on my turn indicator, I stopped right there, in the middle of the road, and bad luck for me, a police corporal on a motor bike was right behind me.  Of course I was escorted to the police station where he instructed an officer to charge me for dangerous driving with instructions to attend court the next day.  Well from the time the incident happened I began to pray.  The next day I went to court.  The court Orderly singled me out and asked what I was there for.  I told him and he then asked if I was sure that I was charged.  Well I was there when the charge was written up so of course I was sure.  He was having none of what I was telling him, so he sent me to an officer who was sitting over to the left of the judge.  I didn't want to go and was even a little angry, but he insisted, so I went.   I explained to the officer what had happened and told him my name. He checked among the documents on the table at which he was sitting but found nothing with my name.  He called another person and had him checked those documents he had, but he also found nothing for me so the officer told me to go back to the station to find out what had happened.   On my way, going through the gate of the court yard, the officer who had written up the charge was coming in.  She remembered me from the day before and said that I should have been called, but that the corporal called after he got to his office and told her to cancel the charge.  To this day I have no idea why God came through for me like that when in my book I was wrong, but He did. 

We can expect God to supply our needs when we are unable, and do not have the means, to provide for ourselves. 

The only conditions to having God provide for us is to seek first His kingdom and all its righteousness, and He said all other things will be given to us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2006 at 12:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position?  I think Abraham fully expected to sacrifice his son to God, as was requested of him. He wasn't aware that he was being tested but his faith in God made him obey. He had his child bound up and the knife in his hand in preparation to sacrifice his beloved son as an offering to God.

Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God?   In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions? I believe that I get provisions from God when I'm able to wake up every morning, healthy and alert. It's not always easy but I think God will not let me suffer circumstances that which I cannot handle. He will not let me go hungry, nor will he let me suffer from the attacks of the enemy. I have faith that even in my time of lack and discomfort, God is watching to make sure that I'm strengthened enough to get through the hard times. "He gives strength to the weary; and gives power to the weak." (Isaiah 40:29) I know God Most High is looking to see if I can withstand the hard times so that He can carry me to higher plains.

I haven't been perfect through all the tests, but I also think God sees me learning, adjusting and trusting. I need to put all my worries on God, rather than trying to do it all by myself. 

• 6 months later...

Yes !  Abraham did have unwavering faith that God would provide.  We read that he called on the name of the Lord, the EVERLASTING GOD before he and Isaac made the trip to Moriah.  What a thought! El Olam, Evetlasting God, perpetual.  We have perpetual covenants, possessions, hills, mercy of God---listed in Holy Bible.

Abraham now adds to the name Yahweh that name that which brings the Everlasting  into the realms of daily life-"JEHOVAH-JIREH, the Lord will provide." The great sacrifice was provided-Mt Moriah, Mt Calvary.

I can testify to God's provisions.  Back in 1978, I left my job in WI to return to NYC.  Had no job ready in NYC.  Autumn 1978-i was in prayer,  the thought came to me to return to NYC-.my parents' house.  Evangelism was top priority too !  While I was in South Bend, IN, on my way back to NYC, I claimed Matthew 7: 7-11---infinite Fatherhood of God and certainty of ans -swerved prayer.  Started long career with AT+T and commenced outdoor preaching in lower Manhattan.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. The Lord Will Provide
  • 4 months later...

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?
No, I don’t believe Abraham was expecting God to provide a sacrifice. I believe Abraham thought that God would just bring Isaac back to life. 

What support do you have for your position?

Abraham tied Isaac up and pulled his knife out. He was going to go ahead with what God had told him to do, he only stopped because God called out to him and told him not to lay a hand on Isaac. 

Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God?

Yes

In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs?

In all circumstances.

Any conditions?

You must first believe in God and accept him as your Lord and savior. You also have to believe that God can and will supply all your needs no matter what the situation looks like.