JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Lord Our Helper

There are several reasons why we don’t call on God like we should. We don’t have a relationship with Him, we think we can do things on our own, PRIDE, or we are still in a worldly state just to name a few. We think we can operate in our own strength until God enters our life and shows us otherwise. The renewing of our minds may not have happened yet. Therefore, we may not realize that we are in the way and that He can’t do or take care of us because of it. We have to learn to trust God, and that He will do what He said He will do. We have to come to the realization that we must “let go and let God”.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourself first? What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

We humans are so prideful esp. when it comes to controlling things our way so sometimes we either forget we aren't in charge or too embarassed to call on God. We must remember we aren't in charge so we must repent.

• 3 months later...

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourself first? What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

Sadly for many of us, our relationship with God is superficial. Therefore we "forget" that God is available to help. We do not know enough of the Word to believe that He is all-sufficient. We tend to want solve our own problems first because we have been trained to solve problems with the resources we already have. It is only when we have used up all our resources and have no where else to turn to that we turn to God. Also by trying to solve our own problems, we hope to manipulate the outcome and at our own timeline, and not in God's ways and in His timing.

We have to go to Him for help, and forsake the counsel of man. We have to trust that God is in control and only He knows what is best for us even though the path that He makes us take can sometimes be very painful. We also have to learn to be patient and wait. In an instant society many of us find it difficult to wait - we all want God to answer us immediately.

• 1 year later...

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourself first?

Since infancy we try to do things on our own, without our parents' help. I remember my own daughter's pride in having done something "all by myself" and the pleasure that gave her as an 18 month old. I think this is a natural thing for us to not want to bother God with requests for help in every circumstance. "It's OK, God, I got this. I'll muddle through somehow." We save our prayers for the difficult stuff. Then when we're in deep trouble we call upon the Name of the Lord. I remember when I was really sick, back in the 1980s. I even prayed to God for His help in digesting my food! In that set of circumstances I knew I had to rely on God far more than any doctor.

What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

We need to lead a surrendered life. We need to have God take pride of place in our hearts. We need to walk in His ways and not pursue our own agendas at the expense of our relationship with Him.

• 5 years later...

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourselves first? What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

By nature man is very independent and self-reliant. He wants his own way. When we become born again and accept His Lordship over our lives, we are actually saying You are the Lord over my life and I give the reins of my life to You. But then the old carnal nature is still there in our lives and when situations arise it is as though we take the reins back to ourselves. The reasons could be because of lack of trust, doubt, pride etc. So in Christian walk to continue calling upon Him as our Helper, there should be trust developed. Every doubt that we have in His ability has to be erased from our minds. When our intimacy with Him develops and matures, we know that He has the best for us and He is always beside us when we call out to Him. Intimacy results in submission and this will bring humility and pride inherent in us will slowly diminish.

So to continue to call on Him as our helper and shepherd, we need to have a submissive and a humble heart. Then we will resort to Him first when contrary situations arise rather than depending on ourselves. Proverbs 3:5-6 says Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. We lean on our understanding because of the experiences that we have developed over the years. But it is not our experience that we need to rely on, but on Him. This also requires a lot of un-learning of our experience of the past and make new experiences based on our trust in the Lord.

• 1 year later...

We resist because we want to try to do it ourselves or we call on other people for help instead. We wait until we have tried every other option before asking Him. Or we think He will punish us because we have disobeyed Him and gotten into a mess. Or we do not think that He can help us at all because we lack the faith in Him to help. 

It is required of us to submit to Him and let go of our our own wills. Acknowledge that we cannot do it on our own and humbly ask for His help; believing that He will come through.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2006 at 1:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourselves first? What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

Sometimes we resist calling on God to be our helper because we either don't believe He can help us, or we are confident that we can do whatever needs being done by ourselves.

We try to fix our problems by ourselves because that is our nature, to be self-reliant/self-sufficient.  Also sometimes we do not trust God to come through for us.  Many times we think that He will not answer our prayers even if and when we do pray.  Then when we try everything we know but nothing happens, we turn to God as a last resort hoping that He will come through for us rather than by/in faith believe that He can 'do abundantly more than we can ask or even think.' 

If God is to be our Helper and Shepherd, then it is necessary for us to completely put our trust in Him.  We have to believe that He is who He said He is and that nothing is too hard for HIm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2006 at 12:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper? Why do we try to do it ourself first? What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us? It's not that I resist calling on God to be my Helper, I am just not used to it. I used to think that God wouldn't want to be bothered with my trivial needs but I am now learning to lean on Him for all of my worries, and not thinking too much about whether it's trivial or not. If you've spent your whole life doing things yourself, it takes time to adjust to depending on God to meet our needs, especially if you were not raised in a spiritual home. To make the most of God's goodness, we need to trust and obey Him because as sheep, we need to look to God to provide for us, protect us, and love us. 

• 6 months later...

Resist..in the Greek, it is rendered as 'antipipto'.. Fall against or pull against like stubborn calf that will not led. Stephen stated it succinctly, "...ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye" (Acts 7:51).

The Israelites provoked God ten times in 2 years in the desert (Numbers 14:22).  They the pillar of fire at night and the cloud by day, heavenly bread each day, holy Tabernacle, the Aaron's and Levitical priests and their clothes nor sandels did not wear out; yet they resisted God.

Pride is the culprit.  Trouble starts when we don't ask God for His help at the beginning of our days.   Prayer to the Holy Spirit is so important each day; the Holy Spirit is here on earth and within the believer.   What a deep wonder; we are not orphans ! 

We are conditioned since birth to be self reliant; we are to pick up ourselves by our own bootstraps.  The age of rationalism and the New Thought movement permeates our society.

We cannot be like Balaam (Numbers 22-24). He had some religious understanding of the Isrealites.   However; his thinking was clouded by superstition and influences of idolatry of Assyria.  In fact, we read, "..and went and returned to his place" (Numbers 24:25).   Back to the land of idols.   He was a religious man; he uttered 16 prophecies; messianic prophecy of a Star out of Jacob and a Sceptre out of Israel to smite the uttermost parts of Moab and destroy the children of Seth (Numbers 24:17). 

What is required of us is that we must be Bible students each day.  Prayerfully and slowly read the Holy Bible.   Concordance must be at our sides constantly.  We must compare Scripture with Scripture   Seeking God in prayer is also utmost.  I believe In having daily altar at home.  

Edited by Jonathan Edwards
Finishing today's assigned question

• 1 year later...

Sometimes people resist because as human beings we can think we have all the answers when we don't. I think it is the sinful nature and sometimes Satan can plant that thought in people to just do things themselves and it ends up bringing more problems. It didn't solve anything.

Having continuous faith in God and trust in what his word says regardless of circumstances or how long we have been waiting because everything does Not happen instantly. It could be cool if we could just want something and everytime it just automatically happen but that is not the way God has it set up. Faith means trusting in the Lord as Shepherd and Helper even if we have to wait just a little longer for something. We can't give up.

• 1 year later...

Q3. Why do we sometimes resist calling on God to be our Helper?
We often think we can handle things on our own and don’t need help from God.

Why do we try to do it ourself first?

We’re stubborn and think we know what’s best. 

What is required of us if God is to be a Helper and Shepherd to us?

To believe and trust Gods as our helper and shepherd.