JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1.

How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

(Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

It reminds me how Jesus suffered for my sins. The bread symbolizing the breaking of Christ

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

I began my journey loving the Lord Jesus when I was a little girl...my Sunday School teacher and parents thought I was too young to understand. So every Sunday I held my self tight in the pew until I was 8 years old and made that walk to delcare Jesus was my Lord and Savior......and then I took of the Lord's Supper the first time. It was for me the figurative of His body that had been shed just for me.....His preciosu blood that had been poured out just for me. Recently I have had the joy of sharing the Lord's Supper Covenant with my 8 year old grand daughter and it brought me to a humble and clear love once again.

• 4 weeks later...

When I partake of Christ Body and Blood, I feel closer to Christ because I know I have to atone myself (come into alignment)and in doing so makes me stronger in the Lord Jesus Christ. Give me another chance to examine myself to make sure I am not harboring any unforgiveness and a chance to start over as I am washed clean with the blood of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, that I might abide in Him, and that He would abide in me. To meditate on the atonement made by Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice for my sins past, now, and to come. Glory Hallelujah!!!

• 1 month later...

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each others understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.) It is a sacred moment of remembering. It reminds me of the great love that took Jesus, the perfect Son of God to the cross in my place. His body was broken and blood was spilled for me. For me it is a moment of deep, heart-felt appreciation for His great love and sacrifice for me and all other people.

• 3 months later...

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

I began my Christian journey by sneaking out of my parents house at age 16 to attend the church across the street. It is a Congregational Church. That was 30 years ago. Although I still struggle with my understanding of God, regligion and life, I always feel at peace when I'm sitting in a pew and receive Communion. I like to look at the cross as the words of scripture are being read. I concentrate on the cross. When the bread is handed out, I close my eyes and hold that bread in my hand until the minister says to take the bread and eat it in remembrance. I do the same with the wine. This is when I feel closest to Jesus and life feels so right.

Unfortunately the little church I grew up in had a problem with the minister who was there my entire life...and now because of that problem I am so discouraged and haven't been back in the church. I miss it. I thought by doing a Bible study I could get my faith and belief back. While reading through this first lesson and many of the responses, I can't tell you how lonely I am for a warm and welcoming church, and most especially partaking in the Lord's Supper. Thank you for listening.

• 1 year later...

My understanding is figurative.  I believe the bread and wine are symbolic of the body of Christ and His presence is spiritual.  I also believe that Communion is a sacred act and should be treated with reverence to the work Jesus did on the cross.  It’s fellowship between Him and me that occurs more than once a month. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Lord's Supper is very emotional for me.  When I serve I have tears in my eyes for what it means to me.  The bread - Christ is the bread of life.  My very life depends on Him.  He is my food.  He fills me up.  He satisfies me.  The wine - is His life giving blood.  He went to the cross for the sins I have not yet committed. His blood was spilled for me.

Jesus too the bread, gave thanks and BROKE it and said "Take and eat; this is my body."  Jesus gave His body for me.

He took the cup, gave thanks and said "This is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."  Jesus is the covenant.  His blood was spilled for our forgiveness.

• 10 months later...

The Lord's Supper reminds me of the sacredness and seriousness of Christ's sacrifice. For me it is part of my worship and a part of my intimate relationship with Christ.  His body and His blood - these are gifts. I think about how the Father required the sacrifices in the Old Testament to symbolize the ultimate sacrifice that was to come and how serious He is about sin.  I recall Leviticus 17:11 where God says "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement." I see God's justice when I receive the Son's body and blood because He poured out His wrath up on Him. No way could I stand justified before Him without Christ. I shake my head and tell Him, I don't understand You. I don't understand this type of love. I just know that I don't deserve it and I am overwhelmed because it bypasses my logical mind. I feel that my emotions during the Lord's Supper cannot even begin to touch the magnitude of His affection toward me. I see His grace in that He allows me to partake in the fellowship of Christ's sufferings. The Lord's Supper gives me a glimpse of the One whose face I will behold in eternity.  The Lord's Supper makes me long for His coming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I take more of a figurative view with the elements of communion. Jesus said, "this is MY blood given for you." I believe that Jesus was showing those at the Last Supper that He was freely giving Himself up as a sacrifice for them and all people. And He was commissioning them to share in this new type of sacrifice. He was preparing them for the new thpw of religion that He knew would take place.

When the words "This is My blood of the New Covenant, which is poured out for many," Jesus was letting those at the table know that He was going to die for us. It was His way of letting us know what was going to happen. I feel He was giving the people a way to visually remember His ultimate sacrrifice Himself.

• 2 years later...

for me it is a reminder that Jesus sacrificed himself for the forgiveness of my sin. It is is also a reminder for me that i do it in remembrance of Jesus and will take it until He returns.  

• 2 months later...

As for me partaking of the holy communion is 100% spiritual than physical when its done in faith and absolute obedience. Each time I partake of this special meal it reminds me of Jesus Christ promises for all his disciples. The meal strengthen us as believers for the journey ahead of us.

• 1 year later...

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

1.  Remembering Jesus body was on the cross for my sins and the world’s sin.

Knowing that his blood had no blemishes and is clean which was shed for me and others while he was on the cross. All of this lets me believe he loves and cared for me and others.

• 10 months later...

For me communion is a vivid and powerful reminder of Christ’s atonement for my sins, which invites my participation in His life and death. It is a intimate time unlike the devotions throughout the work week. Partaking was and is Christ’s request and was the central focus for the early believers coming together on every first day of the week, as it is for some today. As such, it is part of being in fellowship with all who have gone before us and with the Father and the His Son. What Christ said then in all of its glory still exists and is present today.

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2006 at 1:53 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

For me personally, as partake in the Lord's supper, I bring to mind that more of Christ is growing inside of me. I no longer see myself but all of Christ. 

Am also reminded of his gracious sacrifice through the bodily torture He received all for me. 

• 8 months later...

Growing up Catholic, Communion meant the literal body and blood of Jesus Christ.  The communion host was kept in the tabernacle on the altar and for that reason we genuflected whenever passing in front of the altar.

When I was in my 30's and started attending a faith and Bible church, I understood that there was a different school of thought on communion.   Starting with the word 'communion' itself,  which derives from Latin for  'common' or  'community'  , we can see that it was intended as an act of remembrance of the work of Jesus to be performed as a group.  This subject of the meal,  and it's significance in our own society even today, is one of including and partaking with those with whom we have a special or 'common' relationship.  In this case the belief in the work of Christ is the unifying bond of those at the Lord's Supper.