JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

Jesus loves us so much. The Lord's Supper is our Promise

• 3 weeks later...

I take it fuguratively. It's a symbol. Even though it is not the actual blood and body of our Savior, still maintains all the power that was intended when he first instituted it. When I take communion, I feel closer to God and am able to make a fresh start in my daily walk. I'm reminded of the great sacrafice that Jesus made on the cross, and I feel forgiven, regenerated and renewed.

• 2 weeks later...

When I receive The Body and Blood of my savior, Jesus Christ, I am reminded of His great sacrifice and gift to me . . . His agonizing death upon a cross for my sins and for the sins of the world. I ponder how He would of gone through this agony for me even if I were the only person on earth. This love is overwhelming.

As the bread becomes his body, I ask Him to help me die to myself so that his Spirit can live in me, so that I might become more like Him. I ask Him to help me see and interact with those in my sphere of influence as He would, showing compassion, mercy, and kindness.

As the wine becomes His blood, I thank Him for dying for my sins. I then ask Him to help me be willing to die for His sake instead of denying Him under persecution.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus gave this command while He was still alive. He had not yet gone to the cross. Therefore, for me, this is figurative. It does not make it any less sacred, or humbling. I always pray that I am worthy to take His body and His blood. When partaking the communion I think of what He did for me. He washed me in His blood, He died that I might live. He became sin and paid the price so I could have eternal life.

• 3 months later...

Everytime when I take the elements, it reminded me of what a pastor once said.

"Remember, that the PRICE had already been paid by Jesus. Leave your baggages and walk a new!"

I believe that its hard to fellowship with God if we come to Him still carrying our past baggages not truly realising that these were already taken away long long time ago.

It reminds me as well of God's love - 'But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Roman 5:8

Also Roman 8:1-Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...

Thus, I believe the Body and Blood are figurative. It is an act that reminds us of what Jesus had done for us and we are set free from all condemnation.

When I have the privalige of partaking of the Lord's Supper, I remember Jesus' great sacrafice for me. He was willing to give Himself that I would be saved, healed, and impowered by the Holy Spirit. His body was broken for me, His blood was spilled for me. It is a very personal feeling for me.

• 1 month later...

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

When partaking of the bread and the wine I am drawn closer to Christ knowing that as I take the the bread the manifestation of the stripes that Jesus bore on his body was for my healing and I eat it to the healing of my body. Also, when I take the wine I am reminded that the blood that Jesus shed was for my cleansing and the forgiveness of my sins; and I drink it to the continued cleansing of my mind, body and spirit. As I partake the Lord's Supper I am reminded of his imminent return. Maranatha!

• 2 months later...

I am not concerned with wether the bread or wine is literal or figurative. The important thing to me is, am I obeying my Lord's command to do this in remembrance of him. Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of him."

I join with my brothers and sister in Christ to be in harmony and love and not to erect barriers that tend to separate ourselves from unity in Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a figurative understanding of the Lord's Supper. When partaking of the Lord's Supper it reminds me of what Jesus did on the cross for me. His flesh was broken for me and His blood was spilt for me on the cross in atonement and forgiveness of my sin. I take it personal and in the process of the Lord's Supper I redicate my life to Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

When I partake of Communion, I am reminded and humbled by the sacrifice that Jesus made for me. The knowledge that He loved me enough to die for me makes me want to follow Him and be like Him. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

:D

This is my first time using this communication medium. I hope I'm doing it right. The Lord's Supper part of our worship service has evolved over the years. We have gone from a simple prayer and passing the elements of the bread and wine throughout the congregation, to a time of singing a hymn centered on Christ's sacrifice, a scripture reading, and a communion meditation. Each month a male member of our congregation is assigned to preside over communion. He usually presents a meditation from his own thoughts. While the bread and fruit of the vine is being passed, I personally will read selected verses from Isaiah or Hebrews or perhaps the words of a hymn centering on Jesus sacrifice. All of this helps me to better focus on what Christ has truly done for me. When I take the bread I center my thoughts on his life, ministry and sacrifical death. When I take the fruit of the vine, I center my thoughts on His shed blood which washes away my sin, provides forgiveness and makes me righteous in the site of God. I hope this has not been TMI (too much information). For me personally, the Lord's Supper portion of our worship service is the the primary motivation for my assembling together with my brothters and sisters in Christ. alcjr

• 6 months later...

The literal seems to apply to what can be seen, the figurative to what can't be seen. Depending on perspective, it provides the opportunity to become closer to Christ in the physical acts of how we live our life and/or the spiritual acts (from the heart and mind).

• 3 months later...

I haven't taken part in the Lords Supper for about 40 years, but for what it's worth, this is my understanding.

This is my particular understanding.... I see the Bread and Wine as holding the real presence of Christ which is Spirit. Christ is there in the Bread and Wine and we receive Christ according to our ability to reach out to The Lord.

As a teenager I was confirmed in the Church of England and partook in the Lords Supper as best I could, I was always disappointed in what I experienced, I see this as my own failing at the time to be able to reach out.

More recently, in the intense stillness of Yoga, I have been able to reach out to The Lord Jesus Christ and in his mercy, without me deserving it, The Lord has answered my heart-felt pleas for forgiveness with an inpouring of Himself. I sometimes think about going to Church again and I have been to a few Quaker meeting recently. I understand how being part of a fellowship would be good, but I

• 4 weeks later...
[/size] The Lord's Supper is an essential aspect of my faith as a Christian. If I donot take or miss the Lord's Supper , which is held every first Sunday of the month in my Chuirch, I strongly feel for the rest of the month a certain "lack" or "deficiency" . But I guess, my problem is more personal in nature. My main problem today is my lack of motivation to go to Church specially the first Sunday, wherein the Senior Pastor is the speaker, because of the uninspiring message. The message and the ritual of remembrance of the Lord's Supper go hand in hand.

• 1 month later...

For me, the coming into Christ's presence is important - not whether one takes the elements literally or figuratively. Knowing that Christ is present with us and that we are in a living relationship with him and are fed and nourished by his grace and love; and that his Holy Spirit brings us into communion with him and with each other where we can come to know and understand his love. When I partake of his communion, I come into being with Christ where I know my sins have been forgiven and that his grace is sufficient for me. Love flows from him and in the communion, I come to experience and renew my belief in Jesus as my Risen Lord and Saviour and I remember that he chose to die for my sins because he loves me and what he does for me, he does for everyone - he offered himself as a ransome for all - so in the communion, I remember his sacrifice given in love for all of humanity and I thank God for his love.

• 3 months later...

As I dig deeper into the essence of this substances (bread and wine), I am awed by the depth and richness of God's grace and mercy for me as a sinner and so it makes me feel so unworthy to say no whenever a celebrant quote his word ,"take and eat; this is my body (Mat. 26:26-28) and "drink from it all of you this is my covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins". :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It helps me to grow close to God when I think of him speaking of breaking the bread, it reminds me of his broken and bruised body hanging on the cross. The brokeness he took for my sin and shame. The wine reminds me of his shed blood for me, for the forgiveness of my sins and for the heling that was provided. It reminds me of his love, mercy, and grace that endures forever.

• 4 months later...

Thank God. It gives me great pleasure to say thanks for this study. I am a BCM student (Batchelore of Christian Ministry) and am doing this as a parttime as I am employed here in Qatar. I was in search of some materials regarding Lords Supper. Here it is very difficult to get any Christian study books. This lesson really helped me to ensure my understanding about Lords Supper. I was thinking, during the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples, Jesus took the bread and blessed; it is clear that he symbolised his body and blood going to shed for the world. Even that time Jesus was not crusified. I want to learn more about this.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

My traditional understanding is figurative bread and wine (grape juice). When I partake Communion, I remember the Last Supper and the sacifices of Jesus for each of us.

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that it is used figuratively / symbolic. . .

It helps me in that while participating I am ingesting more and more of Christ into my spirit - taking on more and more of His qualities and having a greater ability to "BE" like Him and "LIVE" like Him. . . I am taking in spiritual nourishment - feeding and nourishing my spirit rather than my physical body. . .

• 1 month later...

RonS wrote "Whenever I celebrate communion I feel like Jesus is there with me saying I give you my body and my blood because I loved you so much". This feeling must be far more intense when you take this literal. However, both interpretations are a reminder. I take it figurative because in practice it just doesn't taste as real blood and meat. But I would love to have the mystic feeling of literal interpretation too.