JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Remembering

Why is our remembrance of Christ's death so important?

Remembering Christ's death is what keeps it real for us.....He is the divine and holy Son of God.....made flesh for us.....and then to give HIs life on a cross to save us......We need to always remember.

What happens to Christianity if we neglect remembering in this way?

If we neglect to remember we can become complacent and get so absorbed in ourselves that we forget what was done for us. The reality is that we need to become more and more like Christ and to stay in His Word.

What happens to us personally when we forget Christ's death?

When we forget about Christ's death we make what He did for us almost a mockery. We need to stay close to Him and remember His sacrifice.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why is our remembrance of Christ's death so important? Christ's death is key in God's redemption for mankind. Without it there would be no salvation for us.

What happens to Christianity if we neglect remembering in this way? If we neglect practicing the Lord's Supper we 1) Disobey by not doing what Christ asked us to do in remembrance of Him. 2) If we forget to emphasis the key piece of Salvation, Christianity becomes merely a culture, set of ideas or one of the many religions.

What happens to us personally when we forget Christ's death? We stray from God if we forget Christ's death. If we forget Christ's death altogether, we can't be part of His Kingdom.

• 2 years later...

Remembrance is important because Jesus’ death brought redemption to humanity, opened the gospel to the gentiles, and established a New Covenant that includes forgiveness of sin among a host of other things.  What it means for Christians today, is we are never to forget the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross to atone for our sins.  To neglect this is to neglect everything He did and went through to bring us back into relationship with the Father.  If we forget personally, it brings to question whether or not: we had or have a relationship with Jesus, do we have a clear understanding of what He actually did for us, and is there an appreciation for the profoundness of His suffering?  I am not saying these things are so, I am saying that these are just some of the reasons to consider if we personally forget Christ’s death.

• 4 months later...

Our remembrance of Christ's death is very important.  He suffered, bled and died and rose again for us.  He became sin to free us.  He took the sins I will commit next week to the cross and freed me.  He did not have to die.  He could have called angels to save him.  He died for you and for me and our sins.  When He died the Temple curtain was torn from top to bottom.  This gave us direct access to God with our petitions.  Jesus did all of these things for us.  Our religion, Christianity, is nothing if we forget this.  He birth is very important, but what is important to Christians is He rose from the dead.  Our Messiah is a living Messiah not a statue or an idol.  He lives!  If we were to forget Christ's death we too are dead!

• 5 months later...

To me, this is a study of God's Legacy to mankind.  These questions are really provoking me to dig deeper into my relationship with Christ.  We were led to pray for a group of Christian leaders to gather together each week to pray for Christ's church and to study the Last Supper for 1 year.  The senior leader didn't think he could get a 10 week series of messages from that study.  As I dig deeper into this study I see that God's legacy of love for His people, as revealed in the Bible, is summed up right here and followed by God's proof of His authority over life and death.  What more could He do to reveal His love for His people?  If we fail to honor God's sacrifice of Himself for our eternal destiny we become worse than animals, for we have a baser nature than they do.  What if the only question God asks us at the judgement is; "What legacy of Me did you leave behind?"  As believers we become responsibe for every breath He gives us.  May we truly reflect the love of God with each breath out, each thought, each smile.  Thank you for this study and thank Holy Spirit for His work through it.

• 8 months later...

Christ's death was the start of the salvation for the world. He took all of our sins upon Himself and we received forgiveness and grace from God.

The whole principal of forgiveness and grace would no longer mean anything. We once again would become prisoners to our sins. We would once again be tempted by worldly ideas more than we are now.

Personally, I would lose a strong purpose in my life. My life could probably turn into chaos that it once when Jesus was not in my life.

• 2 years later...

---Our remembrance of Christs death is important,because it riminds us that Christ died for the forgiveness of our sins.

---Christianity would die if we did not remember what Christ did for the world.

---We would become as the world is should we forget Christs death.

• 1 year later...

Q3. Why is our remembrance of Christ's death so important? What happens to Christianity if we neglect remembering in this way? What happens to us personally when we forget Christ's death?

1. Due to his atoning death for us, which is his "body given for us" and "blood poured out for the forgiveness of our sins. In remembrance of me, is a command that we should continually remember concerning his atoning death for our sins. It helps us to have a closer relationship with him and know that he loves us dearly.

2. We are being disobedient and will lose the importance of him dying on the cross for us

We will be lacking somethings

• 10 months later...

Why is our remembrance of Christ's death so important? What happens to Christianity if we neglect remembering in this way? What happens to us personally when we forget Christ's death?

The danger of course is that we become like the church at Ephesus (Rev. 2:4). 

As I sat listening in church just the other day a man began to pray from the pews. His payer wasn't intellectually mighty but it was powerful in another, perhaps more important, way. His words brought me in remembrance of woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears. Like her this man was unashamed. Everyone felt his thankfulness for Christ's atoning blood and forgiveness.