JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Proclaiming Christ's Death

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

I think the Lord's supper is a proclamation as much as if there was a grand parade through the town in His honour. We are aligning ourselves with His victory over death, and casting our lot with Him. Recently in Australia we had two miners who suffered 14 days of being two miles underground encased in what should have been their tomb because of seismic activity around the mine. Mine management worked brilliantly and got them released (Howbeit a third miner died). The whole town threw a party to celebrate their home-coming and release. Everybody including the media was there. The celebrations were tremendous because it was a mining town and everybody understood the trauma and had personal knowledge of the miners so entrapped, and wanted to join with them physically in the joy of release. Their joy was proclaimed to all the world on tv and on their faces.

I think that our participation in the Lord's supper is the joy of our proclaiming our release through His blood and physical suffering. As the mining town identified with the released miners. even more so we identify with the death and resurrection of Jesus, knowing that He is coming again to claim His Victory.

Jesus Himself proclaimed His longing to eat this passover with His disciples. He was bringing an eternity of victory into their hearts and lives, and He was excited, even though He had yet to suffer the death. How amazing that we can proclaim victory even before the physical onslaught of suffering that we endure in His cause. So someone who may be martyred proclaims joy in advance of the event through taking the communion, the Lord's Supper! Or, closer to home, we can proclaim victoryover our carnal natures by participating ing the Lord's Supper Indeed we need to do this or else we suffer for taking the communion wrongly.

The proclaimation is made to any and all who are observing, whoever they be,whether friendly or otherwise. It is also made in front of the evil one and his cohorts who must retreat under the blood. It is also made in the presence of the angels of heaven and in the very presenceof the Lord Himself, who, I believe, still rejoices in the true celebration of Holy Communion. For it is a sacrifice that brings Heaven to earth in great power, as in the days of Elijah calling God's fire on his sacrifice doused in water before the prophets of Baal. We too are calling God's power and authority, through the sacrificeof Jesus, to take precedence on the earth.

This is important because God wants His authority displayed (through our re-unification with Him) throughout the earth, in order to win souls.

When the church shifts its proclaimation to a different central theme it immediately loses all its power and becomes redundant - "a form of godliness without the power, from which people turn away." 2 Tim 3:5.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holy Communion is a proclamation every time we take it because we remind ourselves of the death of our Lord Jesus. We annouce it again and again to every one of us participating in the Holy Communion.

The proclamation is first to us and also to the non believers.

The prclamation to us is important because it keeps the memory of the death of Jesus for our salvation fresh in our minds and hearts. It thus keeps our hearts/imnds united with our Lord. This helps us to remain in the Lord. The proclamation to the unbelievers is important because they need to know that the Lord Jesus Christ suffered and died that they may not perish but should have everlasting life. They are thus expected to give their lives to him.

When the proclation shifts to a different focus, we loose tract of the significant objetive for which the Lord set for us to remember his death and proclaim it to ourselve and to the world. The consequenses will be the loss of salvation as we forget him and backslide.

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation for it is made known to all.

This is important for all needs to know about Jesus's death for our sins.

If the church shifts to a different theme I feel you remove the New Testament for the death and resurrection of Christ is the foundation of the New Testament without it all is vain and pointless

(1 Corinthians 11:26)

In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation?

It is a proclaiming of our belief in recognizing we needed a savior personally and outwardly to unbelievers. It is a proclamation that signifies our hope (earnest intense expectation) of His return.

To whom is the proclamation made?

To God first and all the heavenly hosts of our trust and obedience to His ordinances that we believe that Jesus is coming again. It is also a proclamation of our belief to all who are present at the time.

Why is this important?

When a proclamation is enacted it ratifies and solidifies its significance in our lives.

What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

It might just as well close its doors or put up a sign saying - "Jesus you are not welcome here!"

I BELIEVE THE LORD'S SUPPER IS MY PERSONAL PROCLAMATION OF THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND THE VICTORY ON THE CROSS OF WHAT JESUS DID FOR ME: HIS BLOOD THAT WAS SHED SO THAT I HAVE VICTORY OVER SIN AND DEATH.THE PROCLAMATION IS MADE TO GOD AND TO OTHER BELIEVERS AND UNBELIEVERS AS WELL AND IS IMPORTANT AS A WITNESS TO OTHERS OF OUR FAITH IN A LIVING, RESURRECTED SAVIOUR WHO'S SOON COMING BACK FOR US, HIS BRIDE.IN SOME WEDDINGS , THE BRIDE AND GROOM BOTH DRINK FROM THE SAME CUP DURING THE CEREMONY AS A WITNESS TO FAMILY AND TO SEAL THEIR COVENANT OF MARRIAGE.COMMUNION REMINDS ME OF MARRIAGE VOWS BETWEEN ME AND MY LORD, A BLOOD COVENANT .IF THE CHURCH SHIFTS ITS FOCUS TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN ITS CENTRAL THEME OF THE LORD'S DEATH AND VICTORY ON THE CROSS, THEN IT LOSES EVERYTHING VALUABLE AND MEANINGFUL IN LIFE.THERE'S NO CHRISTIANITY WITHOUT THE CROSS...GOD BLESS...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

It is a proclamation in that it is an outward sign of our belief in Christ's death for our salvation. The proclamation is made to anyone who sees it. It is important because it is an active showing of our beliefs. The church becomes dead with this is not the central theme.

Paul is rebuking his readers for their behavior. It appears that the Christians in Corenth were behaving like any other fallen person, they were self-centered. They were using the "Sunday resurection celebrations" as an opportunity to gorge on the community meal and even get drunk.

In this passage, Paul is instructing the believers on the significance of the Lord's Supper and exhorting them to honor Christ. The proclamation is by the believers, through their actions, to the world. The spiritual meal by which our souls (not bodies, as is pointed out in this passage) are fed proclaims to all creation that Jesus Christ is Lord; he is Messiah; his sacrifice is sufficient.

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation in the way every time we eat the bread and drink the wine

The proclamation is made to all humankind, both believers and unbelievers.

This is important because the message in the proclamation is about Jesus' sacrifice for redeeming the sins of all humankind, it means is a reassuring word that needed by all humankind.

When its proclamation shifts to a different central theme, the church is no longer His messenger to send the message to the world, the church does not do what Jesus command to the church, so this church will not be blessed by God and will be left by God.

To proclaim something is to announce or declare it, to tell it. The Lord's Supper declares Jesus Christ to be the sacrificed Savior who died to secure forgiveness of sins for anyone who will believe. Participating in this Supper should be a time of intimate communion with Christ as the Spirit reminds me of the covenant He has announced to me. When I hold that little cracker or piece of bread in my hand and then consume it, it speaks loudly of the beaten, shredded, pierced body of the Bread of Life. When I sip that juice, it declares that the sinless blood of the Lamb of God is the only thing that can cleanse and make me holy. This proclamation is made to each participant and to anyone who observes. As I receive those elements into my own body, the principle of sacrifice and death to self is being demonstrated in me. I should be accepting strong identification with Christ that will then make Him known to others as His character is demonstrated through my life. And the believers celebrating the Supper together should be reminded of the unity Christ established for His people on the cross.

The proclamation of Christ's death is important because it's the foundation on which God secured and provides salvation for sinners. There is no other way to be restored to Him. If the church's proclamation shifts to any other core theme, the church's proclamation is untrue and will lead people into deception.

What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

To proclaim something is to announce or declare it, to tell it. The Lord's Supper declares Jesus Christ to be the sacrificed Savior who died to secure forgiveness of sins for anyone who will believe. Participating in this Supper should be a time of intimate communion with Christ as the Spirit reminds me of the covenant He has announced to me. When I hold that little cracker or piece of bread in my hand and then consume it, it speaks loudly of the beaten, shredded, pierced body of the Bread of Life. When I sip that juice, it declares that the sinless blood of the Lamb of God is the only thing that can cleanse and make me holy. This proclamation is made to each participant and to anyone who observes. As I receive those elements into my own body, the principle of sacrifice and death to self is being demonstrated in me. I should be accepting strong identification with Christ that will then make Him known to others as His character is demonstrated through my life. And the believers celebrating the Supper together should be reminded of the unity Christ established for His people on the cross.

The proclamation of Christ's death is important because it's the foundation on which God secured and provides salvation for sinners. There is no other way to be restored to Him. If the church's proclamation shifts to any other core theme, the church's proclamation is untrue and will lead people into deception.

What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

I see Holy Commmunion as:

A faith statement in that it identifies me with the death of Christ. It says to witnesses that I beleive in that Christ died for the sins of the world.

A form of worship. The scriptures tell us that it is better to obey than sacrifice. We have been asked to do this in remembrance of Christ. Our obedience in doing this speaks loudly of how much we honor God.

A reminder. Personnaly I do need a reminder every now and then of God's work of slavation. Otherwise I might become overwhelmed by temptations and/or trials and forget that Christ said that I shoud not be afraid because He has overcome the world.

In Proclaiming it is made known to the public or the community. The proclamination is made to all. Everyone is invited to the Lord's table ~ no one should be turned away. Would you turn someone away from your dinner table??? I think the church that would shift to a different central theme would be turning away from the concept that Jesus died on th cross for our sins and in observing the Last Supper He wanted the tradition to be carried on in His name and in remembrance of him. Whether you go to the Lord's Supper daily or only occasionally it has to be meaningful to you as you proclaim what Christ has done for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Q 4: In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this

important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation in that it symbolizes remembrance of Christ's death on the one hand, and signifies a kind of vigil or "watch" in anticipation of Christ's promised return.

Christ died for all people. Therefore the proclamation is made to all people, and whosoever will may claim it as Christ's promise to them.

It is important, for it is necessary in this world where faith is sometimes severely challenged, to have hope that a better day is coming after Christ would have returned to redeem those who have been faithful to him.

When the proclamation of the church shifts to another central theme, it means that the church has lost its reason for being - for preparing people for Christ's second coming based upon his own promise that he will return, and that the Lord's Supper should be done as a reminder of this, and of his sacrificial death. It means that the church has established its own man-made theme, and therefore becomes an institution of man and not of God.

The Lords supper is a proclamation in that in celebrating it the words of scripture read in the

celebration proclaim what Jesus's death was for and what it does for sinners and the events

involved in this sacrifice. It is important in our rememberance in our children's and those we

are discipeling and future generations and the lost to hear the message and learn and to be able

to pass the proclamation on to others. It is made to all manking. When the proclamation goes

away from proclaming christs death for our forgiveness and turns in other directions then the message

is not given or proclaimed and gets lost and is in danger of being of not being carried ont to future

generations of people.

In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation?

It proclaims Christ's sacriface upon the cross, and His victory over sin and death.

Both believers and non believers.

Why is this important?

For believers, we needed to remember that because we accepted Christ's sacriface on the cross, our sins have been forgiven.

For nonbelievers, it should remind them, that they, too, need to accept Christ's atoning sacriface.

What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

When the Lord's Supper becomes just an occassional observance, or when a church rushes thru it, just to get it out of the way, then it becomes just another meaningless ritual.

• 2 weeks later...

Just look at this verse that was in the lesson, "Forwhenever you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes" Whether communion is celebrated weekly, monthly, quarterly, hopefully it is celbrated for all the same reasons. I am a 55 year old man and in my life have been to many services, whether I celebrated communion once a month, or weekly I celbrated it for the same reasons. Communion is a very important part in my life and my personal opinion I believe it should be celebrated weekly. One of the ladies in the class said that her church celebrates communion quarterly and it has become more of a burden on the ushers thanfor the true celebration. When the proclamation shifts to a different central them it just becomes another thing.

• 2 months later...

The Lord's supper is a proclamation because it has been made public, the proclamation is made to all nations. It is important because everyone should know about what Jesus has done. When the theme becomes central the message of the cross is shared out to believers and unbelievers alike.

It becomes an enacted sermon about Jesus's sacrifice for sins.

• 1 month later...

It tells the believer and non-believer alike that Christ died on the Cross for the redemption of our sins. It is important because it keeps us in constant rememberance of what God, Jesus did for us. The love that is greater than any other love. I think when the church switches to a different central theme it is no longer Christ oriented. And other things become more important than the reason we are here, which is to be Christ like.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation?

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation in that it tells how Jesus Christ gave his life on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins. And it declares the gospel.

The proclamation is made both to believers and unbelievers.

Why is this important?

It is important because it tells the gospel message. The gospel must be preached so that all men, everywhere, may have the opportunity to receive Jesus Christ as Savior.

When the church allows its proclamation to shift to a different central theme it is taking itself from under the Lordship of Christ. Jesus Christ is Lord over the Church for which he was crucified, to atone for its sins.

• 3 months later...

The Lord's Supper is an enacted proclamation of the gospel message. This proclamation is made to all mankind. It is important to proclaim to gospel to all for their salvation.

When the church shifts its focus from the proclamation of the gospel message we stop being the church of Jesus Christ.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation in that it proclaims Christ's death. The proclamation is made to all mankind. It is important because Christ is the foundation of our faith and it is through His death that we are saved.

• 3 months later...

The Lords Supper is a proclamation in the sense that people openly go to the Lords Supper. Going to the Lords Supper is a visual statement of faith made by Christians to the whole world. This statement is important because it can encourage other people to experience our Lords gift of forgiveness and new life.

If the church shifts from its central theme of the Lords Supper, it no longer declares to the world...

• 4 weeks later...
The Lord's Supper defined the ultimate purpose of God in sending His son Jesus as a man. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that who so ever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." Veering away from this core message, I will not be a person of God but rather a person of the world! My philosophy will be : eat, drink, dance and be merry for tomorrow you will die". It will be a life of hopelessness rather than a life of hope for a better place. By following God's teachings and obeying His tenets, I enjoy life immensely, I get surprising windfalls and get unbelivable results after a dark cloud. One finds strength in God's promises thats why it is important that Pastors of congregations should be grounded on God's words to inspire their communities and their members not dismiss the Lord's Supper " as one of those things".