JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. My Body Given for You

The purpose of Jesus giving Himself in sacriface was to ransom us from the penalty of sin. Christ turned Himself in for us, that He might bring us to God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?

Jesus gave himself in behalf of Us the human race , humankind. because of the sin of adam and eve

we were lost so God had Jesus birthed so he could die in behalf of us all mankind.

Q3. Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?

• 2 months later...

Jesus's giving himself in sacrifice was to atone for our sins, to rescue and ransom us. 1 Timothy 2:5-6 says ''Christ Jesus , who gave Himself as a ransom for all men.''

Galations 1:3-4, says the ''Lord Jesus Christ who gave himself for our sins to rescue us. ''There are many other verses where we can find Jesus giving himself ....

Luke 22:19b has Jesus saying ''This is my body given for you''.

John 6:51b has Jesus saying'' This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world''.

Titus 2:13-14 says Jesus Christ who gave himself for us to redeem us.

Matthew 20:28 says The Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many as does Mark 10:45 and

Ephesians 5:2 says Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrfice to God.

Just as 1 Peter 3:18 says that Christ turned himself in for us, the Righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God. Just like a person handing himself over to police custody!

• 1 month later...

Jesus came to redeem us to God. He was the one sacrifice that forgave our sins once for all. I believe He also came to show (teach) us how to live. He came that we might be made righteous.

• 4 months later...

Jesus gave himself in sacrifice as a ransom for all men to rescue us from the present evil age, that we may be redeemed from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are His very own who are eager to do good. Jesus gave himself as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God when he die for the sins of the whole world.

• 4 months later...

Jesus gave himself in sacrifice for me as an offering and sacrifice for the atonement of my sin. As a result, He has rescued me from this world, restored fellowship between me and God the Father. He has changed my heart from a selfish heart into one that is pure and wants to do what is good in His name.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The purpose of Jesus giving Himself in sacrifice was to pay for our sins. To redeem us from wickedness. He gave Himself up instead of us. "The Righteous for the unrighteous, that He might bring us to God" (1 Peter 3:18)

"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" said our Lord.

These words are very powerful. I will love Him forever for saying these words on the cross.

• 5 months later...
Jesus gave himself so we could be reconciled to Father God, and our sins forgiven. Also to destroy the works of satan.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

"This is my body given for you" (Luke 22:19b).

"This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." (John 6:51b)

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men...." (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

"... the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father." (Galatians 1:3-4)

"... Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." (Titus 2:13-14)

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28 = Mark 10:45)

"Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:2)

Q3.According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?

This was a great question. I believe that this really helped me to understand the verse from Luke 22:19b.

Even though I do remember something about grammar, I was curious about the meaning of a preposition. "A preposition is a word which shows relationships among other words in the sentence. The relationships include direction, place, time, cause, manner and amount."

Jesus gave Himself up for us, the whole world. He did it for our sins and in so doing, He redeemed us. Throughout these verses, it can be summarized from Ephesians 5:2, "Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

• 1 month later...

Jesus giving Himself in sacrifice was to bring us back into a right relationship with God by atoning for our sins - eliminating the dispute and restoring peace. Jesus paid the price to ransom us by giving His Body and Blood enabling us to again fellowship with God. . .

B)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?

This is my body....given ro you

I will give my body for the life of the world

Gave Himself as a ransom for all men

Gave Himself to rescue us from our sins

Gave Himself to redeem us and purify us

Gave His life as a ransom for many

Gave Himself up for us as a fragant offering and sacrifice

• 2 months later...

Q3. Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice? These verses say it in a variety of ways. Jesus gave His life so that many would have life. He gave His life to rescue us, to redeem us and to ransom us. We are a prisoner, bound, and gagged by our own sins and the devil. Jesus gave His life in exchange for ours to free us and make us His own!

• 2 years later...

Jesus gave Himself as a sacrifice to set us free from the evils of the world, to redeem us from all wickedness and purify for Himself a people of His own eager to do what is good, He gave Himself up as a fragrant sacrifice to the Father.  He gave Himself so that He might bring us back into right relationship with the Father.

• 5 months later...

Jesus gave himself in sacrifice for the life of the world.  For all peoples to believe He loved us so much He took our sins to the cross to set us free.  No more sin.  He took it for us.  The redeemed us.  He gave up himself for us.

• 1 year later...

Jesus sacrificed Himself for us. He allowed Himself to be hung on the cross for our sins. He wanted to unite us with God again. He wanted to open the gates of heaven again to common people. His goal was to bring us home to our Father. He was the bridge that allows this to happen.

• 3 years later...

Q3. Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?

1.  Jesus gave himself for the life of the world." That was to allow us to be forgiven, have the right to salvation, which caused him to be a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. He loved us so much that he was a ransom who took on our sins. He reconciled us to God.

• 11 months later...
Look at the verses above which include both the word "give" and a preposition that means "in behalf of." According to these verses, what was the purpose of Jesus giving himself in sacrifice?
 for the life of the world." (John 6:51b)

as a ransom for all men...." (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father." (Galatians 1:3-4)
for us to redeem us from all wickedness and 
to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." (Titus 2:13-14)
"Christ loved us and gave himself up (paradidōmifor (huperus as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:2)
Perhaps the last is the most striking. My 3 year old son continuously baffles me with his endearing words, his desire to be with me and please Jesus whom he knows not. I am quite pleased with him. He fills me with so much joy. It breaks my heart as he learns the meaning of sin and depravity. He cries not only from being scolded but also because the thing he wants to do most, to be pleasing, he is unable to master. Christ loved us and gave himself up for us because left to ourselves we could no longer please the Father (Romans 7:18). Ephesians 5:5 is so tender and yet so profound that God Himself had to hang on a tree because we are unable to do what is good. (Romans 12:2) He had to offer Himself in the flesh. (Rev. 5:1-7)