JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Discourse and the Words of Institution

Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith? How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith? What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)?

Jesus is food nourishment to our spirit just as food is nourishment to our fleshly body. Without food out fleshly body will die. Without the spiritual food that Jesus offers us the spirit will die. We must always feed on the Word, and Jesus is the Word.

• 3 months later...

Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith?

"Eating the Bread of Life" nourishes our faith as we utterly believe Jesus' words and completely trust in him as the source and sustainer of our life. We are strengthen daily and we walk in obedience.

How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith?

Jesus commanded us to regularly partake of the Lord's Supper. As we do this we remember that He died for our sins and that we have eternal life through his death. We also reflect on His resurrection which also strengthens us spiritually as we are believing that we also will be raised from the dead on the Last Day, just as Jesus was raised.

What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)?

In both the disciple is called upon to exercise faith in the Words of Christ; to trust, believe and obey as indeed this will bring everlasting life.

• 4 months later...

Eating of the Bread of Life nourishes our faith in that it is to believe Jesus' words and trust in him as the source of our life. It means to utterly depend upon Him and the truths Jesus teaches for sustenance and life itself.

The main point of the Bread of Life discourse and the "do this in remembrance of me" is that Jesus is life and what He did on the cross for us in sacrificing Himself for our sins is life for the believer.

• 4 months later...

Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith?

It reminds us of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, and encourages us in our Faith.

How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith?

Just as we need to eat and drink to nourish our bodies, we need His Word to

• 5 months later...

"eating the Bread of Life" nourishes our faith by nourishing our spirit, growing our hearts in Christ. Partaking of the Lord's Supper builds and nourishes our faith by ensuring that we remember the sacrifice and continue to draw closer to Him and stronger in our faith.

The commonality is in believing in Christ and always remembering his sacrifice that was made for each of us.

• 2 months later...

How does eating the bread of Life nourish our faith? How does partaking in the Lords Supper build and nourish our faith?

What we experience by eating the Bread of Life, builds and nourishes are faith.

I believe Christ comes to us according to our need, and we feel Him perhaps according to our personality. (I am a highly sensitive person)

I would like to write here of my own experience. Someone else may experience The Lord differently... but in a no less valid way.

When I was first blessed with the freedom of forgiveness, I experienced such amazing peace, the Lords Peace... and experiencing the Lord was like an inpouring of energy from above which gradually filled my whole body.

I was still and everything was so very simple, there was only Christ's loving goodness. My initial reaction was thankfulness, then simply filled with ecstasy, I delighted in the bliss of Union. This happened to me by reaching out to our Lord in pray.

I remember thinking "If I die now, it's OK, I've achieved something in this life" I could have happily died that evening.

Since then I have gradually built up a way of focusing on our Lord Jesus Christ when ever I can, and I feel Him in my heart.

There are times when I notice that I'm not feeling our Lord in my heart, but when this happens I find Him right by my side. I am living a better life, I am happy.

I am sure that there will be testing times ahead for me, but my experiences cannot fail to nourish and build my faith to see me through them. I feel blessed.

• 7 months later...
Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith? How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith? What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)?

It nourishes our faith by making it stronger. Partaking of the Lord's Supper builds our relationship to God closer and stepping out on our faith for the closeness and strongness. What they have in common is that we are remembering that Christ gave his life for our sins so we can have eternal life. We are believing and trusting in the Lord Jesus.

• 11 months later...

As I medidate on this question, Pastor Ralph's comments really has help me center in on this question. His comments are as follows: "When we partake of the Lord's Supper we are commanded to remember Jesus' death for our sins. Our mind also turns to the Spirit of God that raised him from the dead, the same Spirit that gives us spiritual life to us and will ultimately raise our bodies from the dead on the Last Day. The Lord's Supper as an act of remembering, reflecting, believing, trusting -- this indeed reenergizes us as food to our souls and life to our faith. Feeding on Jesus' words and basking in his presence are the essence of trust, of true belief in him. Yes, partake of his body and blood in the Lord's Supper as a sign that you indeed feed on him in your heart -- and so grow in your faith."

• 2 months later...

Eating the

• 1 month later...

If I read the Bible or comments of dr. Wilson, this strengthens my faith.

Partaking of the Lord's Supper makes me realize Jesus so it also strengthens faith.

That we realize there's no life outside of Jesus.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith? How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith? What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)?

Eating of the "bread of Life" is something we do to remember....to keep what Jesus do alive for us. With this act of remembering we know what our heart attitude must be....we need to be forgiving of others. We are nourished in our faith by the calming of our spirit....the ritual in itself is for us....for no other. When we partake of the Lord's Supper....our Bread of Life.....we eat body and drink the blood of Christ to set us free. He gave so much so when we are in this position of worship we really need to be in the mind set that this is His body broken for us....His blood shed for the forgiveness of sin. BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS.....HE LIVES....HE AROSE.

• 3 months later...

Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith? It is figurative, but it refers to "feeding" on Jesus, which is believing in Him and trusting Him, as our source of Life.

How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith? It is spiritually "feeding" on Him. He is our sustenance.

What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)?They are parallel. The both indicate that Jesus and the spiritual nourishment He give us is our only source of life.

• 2 years later...

Eating the Bread of Life nourishes our faith, our spirit, and our belief in Christ.  When we partake in the Lords Supper, we remember that He died for our sins, that He was the sacrificial lamb sent by God our Father to atone for our sins, we remember the suffering He endured on our behalf.  And, we remember God’s Spirit that raised Him from the dead is the same Spirit that gives us spiritual life and will raise us as well.

• 5 months later...

"Eating the Bread of Life" nourishes our faith in that we remember as we take Holy Communion that His body was a living sacrifice for our sins.  He is the one who give us eternal life.  Our faith is nourished by remembering what He did for us.  He became sin, separating himself from His father because he loved us.  Each time we take Holy Communion we do it in remembrance of all He did for us.  He suffered and died, becoming sin for us to  the extent that he died.  But rose on the third day.  He did all of this because of love.  God wanted us to know how serious sin is.  In the OT He required a lamb to be sacrificed.  A perfect first fruit.  The throat was slit, blood was spilled.  God sent His Son to become the sacrificial lamb.  No further sacrifice is required.  That bread of life which is Jesus the first fruit of God died for us.  This is what we remember.  He is never to leave our thoughts.  His name should be on our foreheads and on our wrists.

• 1 year later...

By partaking in the Lord's Supper, we are able to renew our bond with Jesus. We are able to remember the basics of our faith. We are able to feel new and alive again. We take time to build a stronger bond with Christ. It gives us a time to reflect on our beliefs in Christ and God. When we break bread together, we are remembering that Jesus died for us to give us eternal life in heaven with God.

• 3 years later...

Q4. How does "eating the Bread of Life" (to use Jesus' metaphor in John 6) nourish our faith? How does partaking of the Lord's Supper build and nourish our faith? What does the main point of the Bread of Life discourse (John 6:25-69) have in common with "Do this in remembrance of me," in Jesus' Words of Institution (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)? 

1. The Lord's Supper is aid of us remembering, reflecting, believing, and trusting life to our faith.  

2. It helps by feeding on Jesus' words and basking in his presence which is the essence of trust, of true belief in him and him dying on the cross for us.

3. Jesus is the bread of life from heaven which is that everlasting bread. When taking the Lord’s supper, we are to remember why we are taking it (eating and drinking). Remember Jesus died for us and shed blood for us so that our sins could be removed.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Discourse and the Words of Institution