JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus' Teaching on the Great Banquet

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future?

So many of Jesus' teachings are oriented toward the future because he prepares us for what will be when we enter eternity. It gives us a taste of that blessed and glorious future when we will be in the presence of the Lord. It is a reminder that this present world is only a byway to our future rest.

What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

Oh, the half has never been told! It is baffling to think what that Great Banquet will be like. I think that God will present to each one of us a Great Banquet that will suit our personality. For some of us He has given opportunities here on earth to enjoy varying degrees of abundance, while there are those who live in varying degree of poverty; then there are some who relish in languishing besides a crystal blue sea and there are those who would rather climb to the top of a mountain. Our Omnipotent God will present a Great Banquet that is beyond anything that we can think of as the ultimate pleasure today.

• 5 months later...

Many of Jesus' teaching are directed toward the future because that is where we and everything else is heading. Jesus is giving us a bit of a preview regarding what the future has in store for both the saint as well as the unsaved.

As I reflect upon the great banquet with Jesus I think of a time of love, fellowship, thanksgiving, well-being, joy, delight, friendship, a sense of achievement and victory. A time of celebration of overcoming the world and finishing the race. A time of togetherness and oneness with Jesus and each other. A time of celebration in being together in Christ in love.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future?

I'm not sure that I really understand this question but here goes anyway, I may be way off track...

so that we understand the promise of perfect Unity in life after death

so that even if we live in despair of this world we have hope

Eternal Goodness, His smile, Gentle, Giving,

the many becoming The Not Many, Unification.

• 8 months later...
Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

They are oriented toward the future so we can know and be prepared for that great banquet to take place. He is wanting to build our trust, our fatih, and our belief in Him. The association I see is with the Jew and the Gentile, the Apostles, Lazarus, five of the ten virgins, just to name a few. Everybody that is a child of God will be there.

• 11 months later...

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? In anticipation of His return and the invitation as was written Revelation 19:9 "Then the angel said to me, "Write:

• 2 months later...

Jesus' teachings are oriented toward the future to let us know that the hope we have of being in His presence will be realized - that there is a bright and glorious future for us - a future filled with joy in His presence. . . 1 Corinthians 15:19 (KJV)

19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

I'm most mindful of a Marriage Feast - where the people are gathered and there is great joy - and the purpose is for a long, happy, and prosperous future. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

It was in the near future that Jesus was going to die and going to heaven to establish His Kingdom.

It's in the future that we might go to heaven and will be with Him.

It's in the future that we rise and get a new body.

So we have to be prepared on the future.

• 3 months later...

Q1.

Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future?

I feel that we do not belong in this world; we are only passing through. It with this in mind that Jesus informs us about the things to come, about spending eternity with Him, about the Kingdom of God.

We will be having fellowship with millions of our brothers and sisters. It will be a

• 1 month later...

Because our soujourn here on earth is only temporary. Our future is what wee have to look forward to. Jesus is preparing us for that great day.

On the most insignificant of association is the table at "Thanksgiving" with all the family at the table.

• 1 month later...

Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

Jesus teachings were toward the future so that we would know that our aim is heaven, to be with Him through eternity. I think our minds are so small that He always had to tell us stories to help us understand His love and mercy for us. When I think of the great banquet I think of being in the presence of my Savior at long last....to see His face and adore Him.....to know that I am loved and the beloved of God. It is hard to realize these things and know that one day I will be face to face with my Lord.

• 2 years later...

I believe so many of Jesus' teachings are oriented toward the future because the future is where our eternal life is. If we have faith and works here in this life our reward will be eternal life with the Father. I of course think of all the Biblical teachings of great banquets but, when I think of the Great Banquet I think of a very long table where we are reclining. Christ is at the head of the table and the light that shines round him is so bright we can hardly see his face. I do not know what is on the table or who all is at the table I see only the light. We will feast and have the fruit of the vine with him.

• 1 year later...

I believe that Jesus wanted us to be able to see a much bigger picture that just what is before us on a daily basis. There is a reason and a purpose to our lives that is bigger than the day by day existence that we live now.

I feel that the Great Banquet is going to be the ultimate reward for all true believers in Christ. It will be a time of great rejoicing and of complete fulfillment.

• 3 years later...

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet? 

1. There were things fulfilled through Jesus during his time and some going to be fulfilled after his resurrection. The coming of Our Lord Jesus for those who have trusted and obeyed him.

2. At his great banquet there will be a miraculous meal prepared before us. Our Lord will will serve his servants.