JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

On 7/29/2006 at 6:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

That we may do good deed's in the name of Jesus.

Not for our self's but for Jesus.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q20. Works
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q20. (Ephesians 2:10) According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why?

We are created to do good works as evidence of our salvation by grace and faith.

(Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

The works in Matthew 5:16 mean the works that arise as result of salvation that came free and by grace from God. While the works discredited by Paul refer to the works done in an effort to ‘buy’ or earn salvation from God. Salvation is unmerited, not earned.

According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

Created for good works of a true faith. Faith is tangible. Because we believe in Jesus. Who called us to love. 

The works of Paul are different. Empty religion, excuses, shortcuts, only doing a few convenient things and ignoring the difficult ones. Everything that comes from an empty faith. 

Q20. (Ephesians 2:10) According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9? 
We were created to glorify our Father in heaven. Being created “in Christ Jesus”, means that apart from Him we are nothing and can accomplish nothing. As a new creation, the old things have passed away (2 Cor 5:17), and we now have a renewed mind, a grateful heart, and a surrendered will. We have been made alive together with Christ to do good works. Having the gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit, we are able to bear fruits, such as “love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, and self-control” (Gal 5:22-23), which all help us in doing good works. The reason we do good works is to let our light shine, so that people will then see them, and so bring glory to our heavenly Father (Matt 5:16). The good works we are expected to do are those that God has prepared us beforehand to do. It is our responsibility to find His will for us and to then obey it. The difference between these works is that we are not saved by these works, we are saved through faith alone, and this to prevent us from boasting. Remembering that we were not saved by good works; we were saved for good works. And that we do not work in order to be saved; we work because we are saved. If we could be saved by works then the death of Christ was unnecessary (Gal 2:21). Jesus died because there was no other way for us to be saved. 

We were created to fullfill the destiny that God has planned for us. That is the good works. We have special skills and abilities that is God given and we are to use them for his purpose and plans. It glorifies God because he is the ultimate creator. We are the little creators.  The things we create and any good artistic or good thing we build or do is the inspired from the creator himself so he still gets all the glory. These works are different because these are God given abilties and God gives these giftings for his glory. We didn't get it ourselves, it was a gift from God. Works type mentality or self righteous behavior will depend on self and what self can do with a religious ritual or some kind of tradition to try to impress others and thinking that it pleases God and look good to God when their only fooling themselves. That doesn't impress God. God loves true humility.

At times, scriptures seem to indicate that my purpose or calling is to glorify God with  praise, adoration, focus, love, spiritual growth, obedience and more. These are activities or qualities that are internal. Between me and God. They don't involve "works" in the sense that I'm doing something in the world or involving another person.

In this passage, however, and in James, it appears that doing a specific work fulfills my purpose and calling, that I was created to DO something externally. This is a vision of deeds. Things outside to me. Things I do. To be saved FOR good works is not the same as praising Him.

But I thought I could do nothing good of myself, that anything I do that doesn't originate from the Holy Spirit is bad or evil? Are not my works both of me and Him? Works have a temporal, external quality to them, and I feel (perhaps wrongly) that I'm the one deciding to do a good work, that I have supplied the motive, or am somehow a rational "agent" in this decision. It's not like my hands mysteriously rise to do dishes!  I have to decide to do them. To will this act. 

I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. In part, it's because I fear, now, that I've missed out on doing my created purpose or calling. If this was determined before I was created, I may have screwed it up!  What then? Can a Christian miss out on his or her destiny, her created purpose? It's quite possible, perhaps probable, that a Christian's particular abilities/talents/inclinations are used in ways outside the pre-chosen destiny. I wonder how much leeway is permitted in a well-lived Christian life. If I'm musically talented, for example, has God pre-determined I'll sing opera, compose, do theater or play the church organ. If I make the wrong choice, have I missed out on my destiny?

I like the idea that works are subsequent to an internal transformation, that who I am determines what I do, that good external evidence (works) suggests an internal transformation by the Holy Spirit.

"-- Please show me your truth, Lord, so I can understand you better. Amen."

On 7/29/2006 at 6:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q20. (Ephesians 2:10) According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

God has made each one of His children different and special has created us with special gifts natural and spiritual talents,all to the glory of God.

Works we do after becoming a Christian. These are the special gifts an talents God has given us to use for His glory.

-vs-

The works that Paul discredits are works that people think will earn them salvation.  Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

• 2 weeks later...

We are called to be ministers of God (1 Peter 2:9).    No time to remain forever in the incubator; we truly have an apostolic call.  Evangelical ministry is so important for the believer;  it is akin  to a river.   A river is always flowing; if there is a log jam, there will be trouble :  pollution of the waters, stench, dead fish and boats cannot move.

Paul is referring to the multitudinous rules that we read in the Talmud and Mishnah.  Amazing how Paul  brought up in the halls of strict Judaism is so enthralled how wonderful Christ is.   Faith in Christ is the key !   St Augustine a man of great intellectual acumen knew the joy bells in his heart when he came to Christ.    He was saved and appropriated this divine life.   Many Ephesians did so as well.   Steeped in idolatry and superstition, they were set free by the power of God.

After getting saved--the Ephesians became salt and light to their city.  People took notice!  The idol makers were not a happy bunch.   No more demand for false idols of Diana.  The Temple of Diana was looking  ill gotten monies.

Edited by Jonathan Edwards
Need to complete question

• 2 months later...

We were created in Jesus for good works. God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. The difference between works that Paul discredits is we need to do good works in order to be saved instead of being saved and then doing good works because we want to.

• 1 month later...

1. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16)

According to Ephesians 2:10, we were all created to accomplish whatever work God has appointed us to do. Whether it be singing, being a pastor, or even just working in an office, God has appointed each person with a specific job/work to do so that ultimately, He may be glorified through us, others may glorify Him, and others may come to know Him.

2. What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

The difference between these works and the works in verse 9 is that these works were appointed to us before we were created, God had these works planned out before we had ever put our faith in Him. On the contrary, the works in verse 9 are works that come after/from our faith. They weren't necessarily things that God had chosen us to do, but they are things we do because of our faith and love for others, which comes from His gift of salvation.

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...