JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Substitutionary Atonement

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our sins were taken into Jesus' body on the cross. He became the substitute for us. Everyone of us should have died for our sins but Jesus voluntarily took our punishment for us. Jesus took the sins we should of paid for ourselves by spilling His blood instead of ours.

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words

Because I have sinned, I am under a penalty of death (Rom. 6:23). God because of His love and mercy sent Jesus, the perfect sacrificial lamb, to die in my place and act as my substitute. My sins were taken way and transferred to Him, He bore the burden and I no longer have to pay the penalty. Plus I no longer am weighted down by the burden of sin. Sin drags us down with it's guilt and with the frustration of not being able to do what it right. Praise God that we no longer have to suffer under this burden but have freedom from sin through Christ! :D

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

This point really hit home with me. I'd always focused on Christ bearing the punishment of my sin...not on Him bearing my actual sin. The thought of His taking from me all my sin...past, present, future...at the cross -- amazing.

Like everyone else, I have "besetting sins" which I can't seem to completely overcome. I experience victory for awhile over them, then fall back -- so frustrating -- very discouraging. I feel so guilty -- so wrong when I come to ask forgiveness for yet another occurrence of the same sin. How could God still welcome me? Will there ever be a time that I come and He won't?

These verses answer those fears with peace. If Jesus bore ALL my sin at the cross, He knew just how many times I'd fall -- and He's already provided for my forgiveness for them all! Yay! :D He's waiting on me to come -- not the other way around.

The Servant is a spotless sacrifice - that is, he bears no sin within his person. We, on the other hand, everyone of us has sin. As in the days of sacrifice of animals God required a spotless lamb (or other animal), in order to redeem those who have sinned, God again requires a spotless sacrifice. Jesus is that spotless sacrifice. he has never known sin nor would he ever. So as he willingly took on the role as sacrifice, he offered up himself in atonement for the sins of us all. It was a perfect sacrifice.

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Jesus knew that we could never pay the price of our sins. "The wages of sin is death...." The Father in His love wanted to reconcile us to Himself. As a servant would do anything for his master, so too Jesus lay down His life for us. He took our actual sin, on His body with Him to calvary. His life in exchange for ours.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

In the Old Testament the idea of the Day of Atonement was that one day a year the people would place their hands upon a lamb -- then release it into the wilderness. God ordained this to show that the lamb would take the sins of the people.

Really, all animal sacrafice was a form of substitutionary atonement. The animals had not sinned -- but took the place of the people who had and were making the sacracfice. (The story of Abraham, Isaac, and the ram is a great illustration of God providing the sacrafice for our sins).

Isaiah alludes to Substitutionary Atonement. This is truly what happened with Christ -- Christ died -- not for His sins -- but ours. He was a substitute -- taking our place -- receivingthe punishment -- for our sins.

When I think of Isaiah 53, the verse that comes to mind is 'He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities'. That is what I understand as substitutionary atonement.

That poignantly speaks of the punishment Jesus took upon Himself to give me life. My transgressions, my iniquities... I can never reach God's standard of holiness and no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't be good enough. Jesus loved me so much as to pay the price for me. Willingly. As I was going through the exposition, one thing that struck me forcibly was the fact that He did not protest, but took it willingly upon Himself. I 'know' this but as I meditated on it, I thought of all that He suffered for me - physically, mentally, spiritually. A great price for me. I just got another glimpse of His amazing love.

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

:rolleyes:

I do not have to go to hell because 'the Servant' went there for me. I do not have to be sick because 'the Servant' took on my illnesses. I do not have to be poor because 'the Servant' was made poverty for me. I do not have to sacrifice or bear sin because 'the Servant' sacrificed and bore sin for me. I could go on and on about what 'the Servant' has done for me. I no longer have to live under the curse and I am victorious over the devil and his demons because of 'the Servant'. 'The Servant' did more than bear my sins .. 'the Servant' made me free from the law of sin and death and gave me life eternal. Thank you Jesus!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Jesus became me when he went to the cross. He suffered and died, and shed his blood to pay for the sins that I should pay for. His "substitutionary atonement" shows an awesome and awe-inspiring love that is hard for me to comprehend. But I Praise the Lord for that love! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

A substitute is one that takes the place of another. Jesus Christ, the sinless Son of GOD took my place on the cross, my sins were placed upon Him and He suffered the penalty that I deserved. His righteousness is placed in my account and when our holy GOD looks upon me He sees the righteousness of Christ. Praise GOD!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Servant-Lamb of God, acts as our subsitute by willing offering Himself to take up our sins so that we, the sinful, may receive justification. Though He commited no sin nor was there any deceit in his mouth, yet He bore our sins so that we could be declared righteous before God.

• 1 month later...

I am a sinner and could in no way enter the Kingdom of Heaven in my own right, or by earning the privilege. If God wanted me there, something more had to be done. It was done by Jesus, who accepted the consequences for me (vicious death), so that the righteousness of God was satisfied. As in 1Corinthians 13 - "Love never fails", a truth established before the foundation of the earth, and proven in Christ Jesus" providing my justification. Love, which is God, did not fail me although I could not help myself.

• 1 month later...

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitionary tonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Jesus took all our sins upon Himself when he died on the cross. He died and bore our sins in His own body on the cross so that we might die to sin and become his righteousness. His sacrifice on the cross has accomplished our redemption. He paid the price so we may one day enter the Kingdon of Heaven to live with Him eternally, if we choose.

• 8 months later...

JESUS TOOK ON THE ROLE OF AN INTERCESSOR ON THE CROSS, STANDING IN THE GAP ON OUR BEHALF SO WE COULD BE REDEEMED BY HIS PRECIOUS BLOOD.HE WHO KNEW NO SIN BECAME SIN FOR ME; HE WENT TO hell IN MY PLACE AND TRANSFERRED SICKNESS, DISEASES AND EVEN DEATH BACK TO SATAN'S KINGDOM SO THAT WE HAVE POWER OVER hell, DEATH AND THE GRAVE BECAUSE OF HIM.PRAISE GOD FOR OUR HEAVENLY BRIDEGROOM WHO LOVES US SO MUCH HE GAVE HIS VERY LIFE FOR US...GOD BLESS... :D

• 2 months later...

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

I deserve to die for my sins, "the soul that sinneth shall die"; "the wages of sin is death"; "for all have sinned", but Christ Jesus, the Servant has taken my punishment and died in my place.

• 3 weeks later...
Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words. Exposition

( Isaiah 53 ) Come, and see how Christ stead, but He put Himself.

Thus he took away the sin of the world by taking it on Himself.

He made himself subject to death, which to us is the wages of sin.

The servant is a substitute who bears our sin.

Took up.

Carried.

Laid on.

Bear - Bore.

Intercession.

HE( JESUS ) LOVES US SO MUCH THAT HE WOULD LAY DOWN HIS LIVE FOR US. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

God placed the sins of all of us on his Son. Jesues was the Lamb, the guilt offering.

He has forgiven my sins, carried my sorrows and brought joy to my ife again. Throught Him, With Him, in Him.

• 2 months later...

The Servant acts as our substitute to bear our sins

because on the cross our sins were applied to him

and he became our substitute for payment of our sins.

If he had not done this we would have to pay for our own sins and that would mean we would spend an eternity in hell. Praise God we can accept his sacrifice

for our sin and spend eternity with him!

Jesus, the one true God, acted as a substitute for me through each blow He received, each wound He endured, each bruise He took into His precious body and then the piercing of His side, all substituted my trangressions, my sickness, my iniquity, my sorrow. He was made a guilt offering for me (oh to really get this deep within my soul!)

so I could see the light of day through His sacrifice.

• 4 months later...

Jesus came to earth as a man--as a servant. This servant came for one purpose--to die for our sins. He did this by being a sinless man. He also agreed with His Father to have all our sins put upon Him as our substitute so we/I could have eternal life. Each one of us is represented in Jesus' death--our sins put Him on the cross. Because He died, I live.

• 3 months later...

There was nothing beautiful or majestic in the physical appearance of this servant . Israel would miscalculate the servant's importance - they would consider him an ordinary man . But even though Jesus would not attract a large following based on his physical appearance , He would bring salvation and healing .Many people miscalculate the importance of Jesus' life and work , and they need faithful Christians to point out his extraordinary nature.

How could an Old Testament person understand the idea of Christ dying for our sins - actually bearing the punishment that we deserved ? The sacrifices suggested this idea , but it is one thing to kill a lamb , and something quite different to think of God's chosen servant as that Lamb . But God was pulling aside the curtain of time to let the people of Isaiah's day look ahead to the suffering of the future Messiah and the resulting forgiveness made available to all people.