JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Substitutionary Atonement

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

When I think of the term "substitutionary atonement", one of the first things that pops into my mind is a song by Chris Tomlin, called "Jesus Messiah". It is not taken exactly from Isaiah 53, but from 2 Corinthians 5:21. The songs' first line is "He became sin, who knew no sin. That we might become His righteousness." What a wonderful and totally humbling concept. God loves us so much that Jesus was born as a man and took our sin on himself -- He BECAME sin -- just imagine how terrible it was for one who is truly holy to become the sin of a fallen world. He voluntarily surrendered Himself so that we too can be made holy. WOW. Isaiah 53: 10-12 has the same type of mind-boggling stuff in it. " the LORD makes his life a guilt offering; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,

and he will bear their iniquities; because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Suppose I have obstructed justice and to stand trial and on the day of judgment in the courtroom somebody from nowhere and somebody I have never met before stood on my behalf and pleaded my case before the judge. The judge acquitted me. What a glorious day for me to be set free and experience what it means to be free from the domain of sin and slavery. This man took my place and took responsibility for my crimes committed against humanity. He paid the price in full and that is I do not need to pay for it myself. Jesus did it all on my behalf. He paid the price for my sins. I do not need to pay for my sins anymore. This is what theologians called "the substitutionary atonement."

The sin of man made him guilty and punishable. But God loved him so much that He made arrangement where His Son was made to carry man's sin and the resultant punishment by his sacrificial death on the cross. What amazing love, mercy and grace. Praise God.

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

He takes on our sin as His own, it is all laid on Him....who never did a wrong thing. We would not be able to bear the price that had to be paid so He took it all, and became the Lamb to be sacrified.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement."

In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

Put it in your own words.

Because of our sin we deserve punishment, and this means death and eternity in hell. But God

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words

In every sense, because He takes everything that was meant for us to bear, and takes them on Himself; all of them. And after all that, then we receive His righteousness, it is transfered to us. It is as though we have trades places with Christ. It illustrates God grace so well; when we don't get what we deserve, because God's plan was to atone for our sins through His Son, Jesus Christ. When you realize that you are a sinner who doesn't come close to God's standard of righteousness, or would you ever, then you can begin to see the depth of God's love for you in sending Christ to die on the cross in your place; your sins remembered no more!

• 1 year later...

In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus prayed, "Father if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."  The cup was destiny.  His cup is the requirement that the holy Jesus bare our unholy sins and receive the judgment and punishment of God for our sins.  Jesus took all our sins, even those we have yet to commit and died as the sacrificial lamb.  He died for us.  He substituted himself for me.  I have repented of my sins, but Jesus paid the price for me.

• 10 months later...

Jesus came to earth as a human to teach us a new way of living. However, many had hard hearts and would not listen to His words. They insisted that they were better than Him and decided that He needed to be silenced before too many people followed Him and not them. Jesus refused to be silenced. So He took it upon Himself to reunite those that believed in Him to God the Father. However, we were unworthy of that great connection. So Jesus took oujr unworthyness upon Himself and bestowed grace to us and died for all our sins, then, now and in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

We have all sinned and gone against God, his commandments and love. We have all gone astray by going after things in the world and making them our Gods by giving it or them all our attention and devotion and trust. God instituted the Law and sacrifice so the people of Israel could recognize their sin and relationship with God. A lamb that was without blemish was used to symbolically transfer the sins of the people to the lamb. It was released in the wilderness to carry the sins of the people to where it would supposedly die. God sent his Son to be a substitutionary atonement for our sins. Our punishment and sins were laid upon Him at the cross where He died. Thus, he was God's own son, a substitute to carry our sins. This was God the Father's way of giving man a way or a path back to Him, by showing the love he has for us.      

• 5 months later...

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

Jesus knew what his mission on earth was before God sent Him down to us. Jesus Christ was the servant who died a wicked, painful death in our place, on the cross,  which we so rightly deserved because of our sins.

• 3 months later...

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

​God knew we could not carry the burden of our sin.  We had in us no righteousness, no excuse, we were guilty,  men condemned to die for the wages of sin is death.  God sent Jesus who is pure righteousness to bare our sins and pay the price which was death, for us.  We became His righteousness as He took our sin from us. He came for us to pay the price for us and when He did we became His righteousness.  Now when God sees us He sees the righteousness of Christ who took the burden and paid the price for us.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 months later...

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words

Sin came in through Adam and it went out with the Son of God. We were all destined for hell as we could not pay for our own sins so the Servant (Jesus), who was sinless, was our substitute ie. paying for our sins by dying on the cross. He carried ALL the sin of the world, freeing us so we can go to heaven.

• 1 year later...

When Adam sinned, man became separated from God by that sin.  God is holy and cannot be in the presence of sin.  God set up a sacrificial system that would temporarily pay for the sin of man in the Old Testament. This was done by the sacrifice of an unblemished animal.  The blood of that animal is what contained its life and by the shedding of the blood this animal’s life was a temporary payment of sin.  The reason it was temporary is because God considers animals lower than man. This repeated procedure reminded man of his sin before the Almighty God. For the payment to be permanent, the blood needed to come from a man without blemish (sin).

Since all man is born in sin, only God’s Son could be born without sin and live a sinless life. His life was the only life that could be acceptable by God as a permanent payment for sin.

Jesus’ death of the cross (His sacrifice) was man’s substitutionary payment for sin.  We can then, by putting our faith in Him and His sacrifice, receive the atonement of our sin, and in turn, receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We are then given an inheritance into God’s eternal kingdom.

• 6 years later...

Atonement is that the Servant or Lamb, in our analogy -- is more than a helper, advisor, or victor. He is a substitute for us, that is, he bears our sins instead of us.
     Substitutionary Atonement, is when Jesus (the innocent, without sin, servant) took our sins and bore the weight of them and was punished for them.