JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q31. Far Reaches of Love

I feel that we miss out on Christ's love because of our lack of insight and faith. I believe that we live in a very self-centered culture. We do not comprehend how we can be happy by giving to others equally. We tend to hold grudges and deal with people in very negative ways. We always look at the faults of others instead of what is good in them. We do not open up ourselves to Jesus but try to put Christ into a mold that fits our world. When we open up our hearts and minds to let Christ take hold of them. I imagine we would see miracles happen. There would only be a constant flow of love to all people,. We would be a true family with all people. We would want what is best for everyone. There would be true equality to all. I would find more inner peace in my life. I would be more understanding to people and I would be much more forgiving that I already am.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/23/2006 at 10:47 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (3:18-19) What kinds of things prevent us from comprehending the far reaches of Christ's love? What happens in the way we live when we do comprehend, know, and experience this love? What would be different about your life if you could grasp this?

Not having the faith to do so which allows the worldly things to get in.

Everything around me would change, how I see people, how I would communicate with people.

The unmeasurable joy I would have, worries would seem so small.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q31. Far Reaches of Love
  • 2 months later...

Q31. (Ephesians 3:18-19) What kinds of things prevent us from comprehending the far reaches of Christ's love? What happens in the way we live when we do comprehend, know, and experience this love? What would be different about your life if you could grasp this? 
We understand that God is love, but this is not enough; we need divine power to understand the deeper dimensions of the love of Christ. To fully experience the Christian life, we need to be filled with the love of Christ, a love that surpasses understanding and knowledge. To grow in Christ, we as Christians must consistently stay in fellowship with our Lord through confession of sin, and learning and applying Bible teaching. The growth of our Christian love is a sign that we have been learning and applying doctrine. "By their fruit you shall know them..."  Occupation with the person of Christ is the ultimate result of love, and love is the means of reaching maturity and growing and knowing how to apply this love to our fellow human beings. I know I can never fully comprehend this love of Christ. 

Q31. (Ephesians 3:18-19) What kinds of things prevent us from comprehending the far reaches of Christ's love?

Our human limitation that makes it difficult to love unloving people does hinder us from perceiving the magnitude or the depth and width of Christ’s love. This love made him to forgive those that pierce him and crucified him.

What happens in the way we live when we do comprehend, know, and experience this love? What would be different about your life if you could grasp this?

When we are able to comprehend this kind of love from Christ, we will try to love like him. Holy Spirit help me to love like Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, if our own experience of love has been searing and damaging, we become hardened to the idea of love, unable to conceptualize a gentle love --  without a conception of love, or an idea of it, the goal of love is a blind spot ... there's nothing to see. 

No one has known perfect love: some have had very loving experiences, others have been deeply hurt, but no true love exists between people. Still, I think it's more difficult for people who have been wounded, to submit to the idea that God is love. 

It's not just that the idea of love is so difficult to comprehend, but that the idea of love is so unfathomable and scary that other aspects of God seem more accessible. It is easier and less threatening to think of God's power or any of the "omnis" than his love.

Of all the attributes of God, love is the most incomprehensible. It's absence borders on the edge of evil -- if God is love, why so much unloving? ... if God is all-powerful, why does hate dominate?

I'm sobbing. I will not answer this question any further.

On 8/23/2006 at 10:47 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q31. (Ephesians 3:18-19) What kinds of things prevent us from comprehending the far reaches of Christ's love? What happens in the way we live when we do comprehend, know, and experience this love? What would be different about your life if you could grasp this?

Distractions, doing things that we could put off. Not spending enough time with the Lord and having fellowship with Him and getting to know Him and how much He loves us.  

We would live righteously, in obedience, longing to hear what He has to say to us, how He helps us to live the Christian life,  know how much He loves us. 

We would be at peace, have joy in our lives, our countenance would show it,  be filled with the Spirit and able to minister, help and pray for others, and win others to Christ and bear much fruit.

• 3 weeks later...

Lack of daily prayer and daily Bible study.  We need fresh manna everyday.  This doesn't mean running here and there to church meetings; it is imperative to be quiet and wait upon the Lord.  Cosmopolitan areas are full of distractions; a regular prayer life is absolutely essential.

We a new song !  As I prayerfully meditate on the Word of God, other verses come to mind as I study a portion of the Bible.   I must spend quality time;  quiet meditation assists me to cultivate this wonderfull love of God.  We have a deep peace, a great awakening!   

I really can testify that I am much more happier when I meditate on this immense love in Christ Jesus.   The going-ons or latest news in the world doesn't get my full attention.

• 1 month later...

I think that some of the things that prevent me from comprehending the far reaches of Christ’s love is that I don’t understand it. How can someone love me when I don’t always do what He has asked me to do? We would be able to love those that are unlovable and be able to get along with the rest of the world.