JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q33. Glory in the Church

Q4. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church? What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none?

it's been said that if the holy spirit was taking out of the church today, many would keep on doing what their doing without even knowing he left. mmm. sure makes ya think about that one. but if we could just for a moment praise him for what he's worth all in one mind and spirit in unity, i don't think we would stop.we would be as the first in acts2:42-47 and in acts 4:32-35.ah, in my life the martha, or the busyness would lickity split.yep, to sit at his feet and worship,listening to him,thats where it's at, or even to just lean over as john did and just listen to him breathe, that would be just as well fulfilling.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church? What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none?

For the church, it might focus more on actions in the community that point towards God. Now we are more focused (as a church) on expository preaching/ teaching and our evangelistic efforts seems weak.

The way I act and speak would be more focused on Christ and His effects on / in my life.

• 1 year later...

This teacher that the church weill continue eternally along with eternal generation of natural people through the age of the ages.

• 1 month later...

As we are between congregations right now, I'll say that if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of any church, there would be more unification and less people (like us) looking for a different place to worship. If bringing God glory was my most important job, bar none, my life would be happier because I wouldn't be wallowing in the bitterness of a dead marriage or worrying about my children or money or a million other things that occupy my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church?

I can say that for the most part this is true in this amazing church! The result is that the church is expanding but the Pastor's desire is that we "grow deep" rather than "wide". We are growing deep and wide. Giving is seldom mentioned, but there is plenty of money for whatever is needed. We just expanded to include a building for youth ministry, and it was paid for before the project began. God IS glorified in all that we do....honestly, it's amazing what the Lord has done in only 6 years since it began.

The church is full every Saturday at 6:30 am for prayer...for our city and the outlying cities to become the Lord's domain, for the nation, other nations...it is powerful!!! We have sister churches in Hiroshima, Japan, in Puerto Rico, and in the Bahamas, which we help support, train, shepherd, pray for.

What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none?

That is my hearts desire, because it's His hearts desire for me. I ask each morning for the Lord to order my steps, lead me where He wants me to go, say what He wants me to say....I prayed years ago and gave Him permission to do whatever is necessary to insure that when I meet Him face to face, my life will have produced lasting fruit for eternity..."I don't want to be ashamed when I'm standing before you, with nothing to show for my time here".....I trust that He is honoring my prayer, because I can't muster things up on my own. In the meantime, I give Him glory by telling others what He does and has done.

(I'm thankful that my sins are under the blood, because those bring Him no glory) I'm conscious of wanting others to see Him in me and through me.....His love and kindness. Only He knows what could happen if my life was "bar none" for Him 100% of the time.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 3:21)

What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church?

What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none?

I feel our church is doing a good job in bringing glory to God. We are very much focused on our Lord Jesus. Of course, there is always room for improvement. It is only when we start putting ourselves first that we have internal bickering. As far as my life is concerned, I feel there would be much room for improvement. I

• 6 months later...

I think hanks' last comment is interesting because I certainly do allow my family commitments to distract me from ultimately seeking God's power day by day. However, God wants us to seek him first with all these "distractions" as well. It's not a matter of choosing between God and my kids; it's a matter of raising my kids with 100% of God's power, not my own. While I get up and do these studies most every morning, I often do not come before God and dedicate the day to him first. That is so much more important than any Bible study I can do. If I truly sought God's power in every aspect of my life, I would live with more love, more hope, more energy and power to do his work.

• 3 months later...

To the first question my church's main priority is bringing glory to God so no answr. this is a hard one! As we all know it is a daily battle to fight temptation but as Christians we will fail from time to time but we must get up dust off and learn from our mistakes. But if that was our most important job I can only imagine how blessed we would be.

• 1 month later...

I would make it sure that GOD was always my primary goal.I always pray to HIM, like I didi this past week..... I thought that I had brain tumor, from the pain that I had in my head.... He answered my prayers....... I love HIM.....

• 9 months later...

If bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church, my own congregation must do away with offense and learn how to walk in God-kind of love, replacing people-centered programs with focusing on Christ-centered programs.

If bringing God glory was my most important job my life would be different. If I can get rid of offense and walk in God-kind of love, then I can walk in divine health, be prosperous in every area of my life, be blessed, and be a blessing to others.

If bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church, my own congregation must do away with offense and learn how to walk in God-kind of love, replacing people-centered programs with focusing on Christ-centered programs.

If bringing God glory was my most important job my life would be different. If I can get rid of offense and walk in God-kind of love, then I can walk in divine health, be prosperous in every area of my life, and be blessed and be a blessing to others.

• 1 year later...

We do try to bring glory to God but I don’t know if that is the very most important function of the church. I think that if would raise this to the top priority then things would change.

I think that the difference in my life if I would make that my top priority in my life that things would change for the better.

• 1 year later...

To have the church congregation bring glory to God as it's most important function, there would be an explosion of evangelism to the community and the world. That churches prime mission would be to edify it's members. Giving to the poor, supporting missions and bring Glory to Christ and God our Father.

If bring god glory was my most important job, I would be an evangelist to the community, seeking to hep bring Christ to our neighbors.     

• 1 year later...

I feel that my congregation would be a more loving and caring group of people. They would be less concerned about the turf wars of the working of the Church. There would be less power struggles. There would be a more of a meaningful worship. People would actually pray with intent, love and purpose. God would be in the center of all activities. I feel that my life would be most fulfilled. I would have all that I ever needed because God would make sure that I was provided for.

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2006 at 10:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

There would be more joy and happiness, more praising him who deserves all the glory.

My worries would not have first place, I would be lead by God instead of the world.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q33. Glory in the Church
  • 2 months later...

Q33. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church? What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none? 
I feel our church is doing a good job in bringing glory to God. We are very much focused on our Lord Jesus. Of course, there is always room for improvement. It is only when we start putting ourselves first that we have internal bickering. As far as my life is concerned, I feel there would be much room for improvement. I’m happy about my growth in the Lord Jesus but to only bring glory to God; I would have to change my whole lifestyle. Unfortunately, one has various commitments to wife and family and in today’s world this does not seem plausible to do this. 

Q33. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church?

There will be great worship and manifestation of God’s power and miracles in our church service.

There will be excitement and manifestation of God’s power, joy and peace in my life if bringing glory was my most important job in the church

• 2 weeks later...

What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church?

Last night I attended a ladies Bible study at which we had a guest speaker, a lovely woman who ran a store-front church in a seedy area of town. Though I expected to hear her speak of the challenges and successes she has had working with this particular population, she spoke on self-actualization. Her big insight was that we had to be authentically ourselves, whatever that means, and let people know "who we really are," including our sinful tendencies. It was, I guess, a "let it all hang out," lecture. 

On the way home, I felt emptier than when I had arrived. It was a pleasure to see other women for whom I care, particularly one woman who is divorced and had just met a wonderful Christian man -- her face was glowing with happiness. But, was this church or a coffee klatch?  It was both, which is not meaty enough to grow the congregation spiritually. So, to answer your question -- finally! -- if the church was focused on bringing glory to God, it would stop trying to make us focus on ourselves and instead focus on Him. A weekly self-help meeting such as the one I attended could, at times, glorify God, but most of the time presents a low spiritual ceiling.

I think I'd spend more time talking to my 95 year-old father for whom I care, which is difficult for me to do. In my limited present circumstances, I'd spend time learning French, architectural techniques and aesthetic and creative interests. Mostly, I'd write more, as I feel His compulsion to do this. Bringing glory to God doesn't have to involve other people, I've learned. It can, at times, be something I do only for Him ... alone. 

I think the biggest thing I could do to bring God glory would be to stop fighting and hating my present circumstances and accept them as His will.

On 8/23/2006 at 10:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q33. (Ephesians 3:21) What might be different in your own congregation if bringing glory to God were considered the very most important function of the church? What would be different in your life if bringing God glory was your most important job, bar none?

People would be more dedicated in coming to church and prayer meetings.  More volunteers for connect groups, love one another and know that God is working in all of us.  We are the Body of Christ to serve one another and reach out and minister the Gospel to the lost.  Some are doing it but not enough.

I would grow closer to God by spending more time with Him and hearing from Him.

• 4 weeks later...

The individual congregation needs to take stock that it is God alone who has wrought this plan of salvation.   A tremendous Bible plan of salvation has been laid out by Apostle Paul.    The church cannot help but give God the praise.  Our acts of adoration are to be done in connection with the work and person of CHRIST.

GOD has the ability to bless us beyond space and time.  We as believers have been blessed with immense spiritual graces; the same power "which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead.

(Ephesians 1:20). We need to raise the bar of God's love for us....we need to adjust our thinking and asking ACCORDING TO THE POWER THAT WORKS IN US.    We need to implore the Holy Spirit to renew our hearts.  We need the balm of Gilead to heal us of serious trials and hurts that we have through.

• 1 month later...

I think that our congregation is bringing glory to God as the most important function of the church. As for me, if I would just think about what God would want me to do in any situation then that would make it my most important job. But I don’t always do that.