JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Idea of "Son"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The author is discussing the Son from a relationship point of view, which would seem to me to be biological. Since "the son" is the heir of all things, it would seem that, in this case, the words of the son carry greater weight than the words of a prophet. This is normally not the case in the Jewish world according to the O.T. the only difference between a son and a servant was the inheritance. A prophet would have been listened to over a son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

Prophets: are non family members and have imperfect knowledge. They were instructed by God but did not have Him

on the iside, thier relationship was more distant.

Biologically: A son is a closser relationship, one who has a blood + spiritual relationship and is on the inside of the family.

A son has more perfect knowledge and acts as an extension of the Father in PERFECT Union.

• 2 weeks later...

i think He is using it as a biological relationship. And the Son's words have more weight because Christ is superior to all the writers of the Bible, because He fulfulls all of the Word and He Himself gives God's final word to man. He is the Word how much more weight could any man hold?

i think He is using it as a biological relationship. And the Son's words have more weight because Christ is superior to all the writers of the Bible, because He fulfulls all of the Word and He Himself gives God's final word to man. He is the Word how much more weight could any man hold? He is God! so all of His words out way others.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship?

Man that was a really tricky question to begin with!- I have pondered it and looked at some of the replies, of course Father, Son and Holy Spirit- are the names of the three persons of the Godhead. This relationship is eternal, and we see clearly in the incarnation this unique relationship between the Father and the Son.

Some one said in the replies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

I think the author is using the word, "son" to describe Jesus' relationship to his Father, (although this is of course not a biological relationship). Nevertheless, Jesus' relationship to his father is a sonship relationship, because Jesus was begotten, not made (John 1:14).

I think the author is using the word, "son" to describe Jesus' relationship to his Father, (although this is of course not a biological relationship). Nevertheless, Jesus' relationship to his father is a sonship relationship, because Jesus was begotten, not made (John 1:14).

A son's words would have more weight than a prophet's because of the relationship of a son to his father.

The author of Hebrews meant "Son" in a spiritual and literal fashion. Let me explain: Jesus is the heir to the throne of God, in explanation format we know that only the progeny of a King can inherit the throne, and then spiritually speaking, we know that Christ has God powers invested in Him. This means that Christ's words carry more weight because his words would be God's words anyway. The authority given by God.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Son denotes that their is a right an ownership and a divine right to usher in his Father's (God) Kingdom. There is an relationship between the father and son that the prophet can't inherit. Everything the Father owns belongs to the Son as well as his authority and power that the prophet is limit to. The Son was appointed and anointed to fulfill his destiny that the prophet was unable to do :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship?

The author is clearly using the word 'Son' as a biological relationship. He is 'heir' to the throne, whereas a prophet is a 'servant' even to the 'heir' of throne.

How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

A prophet being mortal can only bring forth the divine message or word from God; the Son is the Word being the very essence of divinity Himself, thereby, possessing divine authority and power the prophet is not privy to. To be more precise, the prophet is 'a messenger'; the Son of God is 'the message'.

I think the word "Son" means exactly that. Jesus derived from God, He is God's offspring.

• 2 weeks later...

In the physical, a son is quite literally his father and mother; all of the genes which comprise his physical person come from his parents. Thus, if anyone reject the physical character of the son, they necessarily reject the physical character of the parents, because the son came from the parents and no others.

In the spiritual, Jesus came from God and no other. Thus, anyone who rejects the spiritual character of Jesus, necessarily rejects the spiritual character of the Father, because Jesus' spiritual nature came from the Father and no other.

It is difficult for me to read the word "Son" in this verse in isolation to the remainder of scripture. Because of the remainder of Scripture, I understand "Son" to mean God.

The word "prophet" means "foreteller." Thus, the prophets spoke at many times and in various ways of matters to come concerning God. I also understand that prophets are servants of God and a servant in any man's house is not nearly as important to that man, nor privy to as much information, nor empowered with as much authority as the son. I think readers understand this.

It is difficult for me to read the word "Son" in this verse in isolation to the remainder of scripture. Because of the remainder of Scripture, I understand "Son" to mean God.

The word "prophet" means "foreteller." Thus, the prophets spoke at many times and in various ways of matters to come concerning God. I also understand that prophets are servants of God and a servant in any man's house is not nearly as important to that man, nor privy to as much information, nor empowered with as much authority as the son. I think readers understand this.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the author is using "Son" as the literal physical progeny of His Father God, rather than metaphorically, as he goes on to say in V.2, "Whom He appointed Heir and lawful Owner of all things, also BY and THROUGH WHOM He created the worlds, space and the ages of time, arranging them in order.

In V.1,The prophets were given a portion of the Truth as were forefathers of the faith in many separate revelations, and who spoke the words they were given, but now the Son, WHO IS Truth, and who created the prophets and forefathers, is God's voice to the nations. There will be no question but that He is speaking His Father's Words, for the Son, is the Word.(I John 1:1)

• 2 weeks later...

In the past God used the prophets as his instrument of revelation, but now has spoken or revealed himself to us by His Son Jesus Christ, who is supreme over all things.

The Son's words have more weight than the prophets because absolutely nothing has greater authority than Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Son is used as a revealed account of God in Jesus Christ. Jesus from God. Born of a virgin directly from the original seed of God in Christ. He is a Son because he came in the flesh from the Spirit of God. Christ word have more wieght than the prophets because He came from the Spirit of God directly. The Prophets of God had the revealed word. Christ is the Word therefore He is direct heir to the weight, width, length, breadth, width and depth of God as His Son.

Looking to the future, the Son, now alive, has been appointed heir of all things; The Son shares the dignity of Creator with the Father; The Son is the God