JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Idea of "Son"

I believe that the Sonship of Jesus refers to the fact that Jesus has the same nature and possesses all the attributes of God. When Jesus calls Himself the Son of man, He is emphasizing His Humanity, when He is called the Son of God, His Diety is emphasized. When Jesus called Himself the Son of God, the religious leaders rightly understood that He was making Himself equal with God, therefore the title " Son of God" implies that Jesus, in His nature, is equal with God the Father.

Also, I take into consideration that the quote " you are my Son, today I have become your Father" is taken from Psalm 2. In this Psalm, the Annointed one is declared to be the King in Zion, who will receive from the Father's Hand the uttermost parts of the earth as His inheritance. Therefore, I believe that the writer of Hebrews is emphasizing the fact that as Son, Jesus is the heir of all things, and is worthy of all of our worship.

The Son's words carry more weight than the prophets because of His unique relationship to the Father, and because a prophet is a servant in the house of God, whereas the Son is the owner and maker of the house. Also, the prophets received the Word of God, but Jesus himself is the Word of God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

The author is speaking of the Son as a biological relationship. It would have more weight because Jesus is supreme over all things. God's Word through His Son is final; it fulfills and transcends all previous words by God. Absolutely nothing, prophets, nor angels has greater authority than Christ. He is the only way to eternal salvation and the only meditor between God and man.

• 2 weeks later...

A metaphor would mean that Jesus is only called the Son as some utterance of respect.

This is clearly far to weak.

Therefore it is more biological.

Now the Son was the aspect of God who came in the flesh.

Because the Spirit of God came over His mother, we call Him the Father.

Even though they are the same.

Now a prophet speaks with the authority of God.

The Son was God himself.

• 1 month later...

Jesus was the Word made Flesh. Eternal with the Father from the Beginning. Jesus as God's only begotten Son, is superior to Angels or any of the Prophets. The Word's of Christ have total authority as God. He counted it not robbery to be equal with God. The Nature and Substance (if we can use that term) are exactly the same between God the Father and Christ the Son.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the word Son is a biological relationship, as Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, as John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

As Jesus was the Son of God and Word of God, the prophet's only could tell what they heard from Jesus, as Jesus was the Son and as he and the Father were one, his words weigh more than the prophet's or anybody else.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

I would think that the word 'son' is both metaphorical and biological. Biologically, Jesus was conceived of the Holy spirit. As a metaphor, this word conveys a closeness and trust rarely experienced in other relationships. A prophet is God's representative, while a son is a reflection of the very nature of his father in thought and deed.

• 1 month later...

I think the word "son" is a metaphor, in that the word inadequately expresses the relationship, just as all language inadequately describes God. However, there are many things about the concept of Son that help us to understand God/Jesus. He is not a son in the biological sense since Jesus was not conceived in the ordinary biological sense, and since Jesus predates his incarnation. "He was in the beginning with God." But our own experience of the closeness of our children, help us to get a handle on the closeness of God the Father and God the Son.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As per Psalms 2:7, he is the Son of God which can be referred in Luke 1:68-79 also. He is the first born as in Psalms 89:27, Luke 2:9-15. No metaphor. Son was sent to this world to execute the father's work, restitution of mankind. Anywhere son is having more power than anyone else to carry on the father's work. the same theory is applied here. Son is sure to have more weight than any angel created by the Son or any propher chosen by the father. Jesus is the begotten son of our Heavenly father.

As a biological relationship. The prophets have a very real relationship with God, a relationship that was just such, a prophet anointed by God to speak for of in bahalf of God. A Son has a mucy different relationship with a Father. As the Son of God, Jesus, having the exact characteristics and attributes of the Father, spoke as God as opposed to being a spokesman for God.

Jesus' relationship with the Father was such that He was always with the Father. The words He spoke were the very words of the Father - words that responded immediately by accomplishing what was spoken.

B)

A Father=Son relationship is personal. The author of Hebrews is expressing this intimate relationship and ultimate honor one bestows to an obedient son. Here Jesus is the perfect Son of God. He is of God like a biological son, He is for God as God's ambassador. Because of the innate intimacy between God and Jesus, He reflects God's image for man to see God for all His compassion, mercy, grace, forgiveness, and eternal Kingdom.

• 2 months later...

When I think of the way I have grown and developed as a Christian, the most significant transformations of who I am have been the result of internalization of people I have loved and admired and who have loved and admired me. In a very real sense I see this internalization as the road to sonship in my life and in the lives I have touched. Sonship of Jesus reflects what so many of you have said in this forum, so intimate a relationship and internalization of YHWH that there was indeed deep merger with the Father. Incarnation of the living, active, creative expression of YHWH.

If biological then we have the problem of the DNA and genetic coding that makes Him different. If His sinlessness is the result of superior DNA, in what way was He tempted like we are, yet without sin? And what would obedience mean in a fallen world? Nor would I describe it as metaphor. Metaphor describes an extended simile, and while helpful in stories it describes nothing in personality.

Mother used to say ,

• 1 month later...

Jesus is the second part of the Trinity. Jesus was also present at creation. He was also God in the flesh when He was on earth. Being also these plus the being the Son of God, the relationship between God and Jesus will be much different than that of a prophet. There is a special bond and intimacy between Abba and Son.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hebrews 1:2 (New International Version)

2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

I believe that the author is specifically speaking about Jesus here, and referencing how He (Jesus), who the Lord has appointed as heir of everything, along with God the Father and the Holy Spirit...and Jesus (the Son) will be the one who comes back in the last days.

• 4 weeks later...

God sent Jesus as His "ambassador"-His spokesperson. Jesus represented Father God. I think Jesus is spoken here, as Son of God the Father. Verse two speaks of Jesus as being "appointed heir of all things". That, to me, speaks of "son"-An heir would be a child-a son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the author is using the word "Son" as a biological relationship. He refers to him as his Son.

I feel Son's words have more weight that a prophet's because Jesus is not just a prophet. He is appointed-God's heir

• 2 months later...

I believe that the author of Hebrews used the word, "son" as in in the biological sense. Referring to the relationship between God and Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...

I am certain that in this case, Son is literally meant as one begotten from another. Is not a son closer to the heart and understanding of his father than a prophet who hears in dreams, visions, and hearings (if that is a word)?

• 1 month later...

The author of Hebrews is using "Son" to give equal authority to Jesus as the Son of God; His word being equal to the word of God and carries more weight than that of Gods's servant, a prophet.

• 2 months later...

The word "Son" is representative and heir of the FATHER; a metaphor of HIMSELF (the FATHER) in the flesh. The relationship is personally profound; the Son is the FATHER’s only and first born Son who speaks with the authority of His FATHER in ALL things of the FATHER. He is the FATHER’s personal spokesperson, appointed over all things. He is divine, He is unique, and there is no other above Him.

The fact that He is the Son of the Most High God, without sin, speaks with divine authority given by the FATHER on HIS behalf.

• 2 months later...

I feel that it is an actual biological Son. Coming out of the Christmas season, I am newly aware that God chose Mary and actually conceived a child with the Holy Spirit. Knowing that the culture of the time was so very family-oriented, this strengthens a message far more than being a non-related prophet.