JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Promise of Eternal Rest

Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11) What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the believer? Why does the writer urge us: "Make every effort to enter that rest"? What is the difference between apostasy from Christ and the kind of falling into sin that all Christians experience from time to time?

The promise of rest for the believers is peace with God for eternal life when we go home to be with the Lord. And eternal rest in the place that Jesus Christ is preparing for us. Plus we do not have to wait wntil we get to heaven to have this rest, we can have it daily now, our peace in God.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the promise of rest for the believer in Hebrews was that God has a place of rest for us and we must seek Him and find that place and enter into His rest. I think we, living in this magnetic world of sin, are drawn to it. When Christ Jesus makes Himself manifest in us, the pull isn

Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11) What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the believer?

The rest spoken of is Christ's rest, we come to rest in the fact that we do not have to try to earn salvation, this is a new covenant with better promises, this rest is not earned through our works, how often we pray, how often we are good, how often we go to church, true rest is found in Jesus, He is our Rest.

Why does the writer urge us: "Make every effort to enter that rest"?

Be diligent, study, today is the day, use speed, for the rest is waiting for you; The work has been done. Effort is putting our energy in the faith we have been given, and rest in Him. It is all about Him! Study God's word and you will find example, after example, of unbelief, obstinate rebellion against God, and it brings on God's wrath, there is no rest to be found in unbelief. Study God's word and see how they did not see how wonderful God is. Today is the day, REST in Him.

What is the difference between apostasy from Christ and the kind of falling into sin that all Christians experience from time to time?

Apostasy is a falling away from the faith, willful rejection of God Almighty, or Christ and His teachings.

Sin is part of the fall and we are all guilty of having this sin nature, but by resting in the work of Christ, we have the power of the Holy Spirit to help us, we are on the Potter's Wheel, and daily we are under construction, we rest in that. We now can strive to live a righteous life, rest is not cessation of work, but rather of the weariness and pain in toil. It is wonderful to rest in the new covenant, it is finished.

• 4 weeks later...
Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11) What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the believer? Why does the writer urge us: "Make every effort to enter that rest"? What is the difference between apostasy from Christ and the kind of falling into sin that all Christians experience from time to time?

The promise of

• 2 months later...

I think that in this particular passage, Paul is referring to working to enter into the eternal rest provided by salvation and depending on the work of Christ. Other places in the Bible we are told to enter into rest on earth by letting Christ carry our burdens. In both cases, the dependency is on Jesus, and, really, both have eternal implications.

Apostasy is a sin against the Hoy Spirit. By the way, I don't believe a true Christian can fall away from Christ that completely; not because man isn't capable of that dramatic of a sin rather, Jesus promises to "keep us until that day". We are weak; he is not. If I thought for a moment that my salvation could be lost for any reason, I would lose my joy.

I do believe that there are people who don't truly enter into a spiritual relationship with Christ and, ultimately become angry with the spiritual life, ultimately denying, or more accurately choosing to go the way of sin. Having said that, we all are going to sin. Paul tells us that time and time again. We are not yet completely transformed; that which we would do what we don't wish to do; Paul teaches us that while we are saved by Christ's blood; we still live in fleshly bodies; we haven't been given our spiritual bodies yet and can be expected to sin. The wonderful thing is that, Jesus Christ died for our sins past, present and future. While no true Christian will sin "just to be sinning since I am protected", nevertheless, we are going to sin everyday and it is only through continued prayer and study of His Word that we can grow and minimize the impact of sin in our lives

• 2 weeks later...

I think what the writer is talking about is a promise from God found in Revelation 14:12-13, "This calls for patient edurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandment and remain faithful to Jesus." Then I heard a voice from heaven say "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord" from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit," they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will not follow them." The difference between apostasy (falling from one's faith) and the kind of falling into sin that all Christinas experience from time to time is, when a person stop having faith in God and His powers and what God can and will do to bring glory and honor for Himself, when on the other hand some Christians will still have their in God "but" think that God has not shown them an answer that they are looking for quick enough for them. :

• 2 months later...

I think we can have rest in the Spirit now....just as we have joy in the midst of sorrow.....now the great rest will come when we are in heaven with Christ.

The writer urges us towards that rest because when we come to the place of rest.....the closer we get God. Wether that be in heaven or in our spiritual walk with Him.....where ever He is there is rest.

Pushed for time this week! So the quick answer to what rest is

• 2 months later...

I believe that the writer means "spiritual rest" as a rest with the Eternal God. It could also mean(based off of my understanding of scripture :blink: , I hope this is accurate) that perhaps rest means to enter a quiet, cease movement of time. The writer urges and pushes us to enter into this rest so as to avoid disobedience. Apostasy means a complete separation from the Living God. One's soul is tugged apart from Him. Whereas sin is something that befalls most Christians and can be waived by God if one has repented. Apostasy, means you have no belief in the Lord, your heart is hardened against Him.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the writer was preferring to God's power. When we come to rest in God we are allowing the master to be in control and take full control over every situation of our lives. Apostasy means abandonment from our religious beliefth and faith in Jesus Christ however in Romans 3:23 states that, For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Meaning all have sinned but we have a savior who will forgive us of our sins.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11) What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the believer?

The scriptures tell us that we are strangers and pilgrims on this earth; this is not our home, we are merely passing through. It also tells us that we are 'running a race' so to speak and must labor to reach the finish line. Our rest is not here on this earth. We are to be busy about our Father's business in the here and now. Our rest will be found in the hereafter, in our eternal home with the LORD.

Because if we fail to hold on to our faith and become disobedient to the call of Christ, we will not be allowed to enter into that place of rest.

What is the difference between apostasy from Christ and the kind of falling into sin that all Christians experience from time to time?

Apostasy is not the mere act of stumbling that every Christian experiences from time to time, but is in fact a complete rejection of the tenets and doctrines of once held beliefs. One is literally separating himself from God by denying the truth he formerly walked in. Most Christians stumble from time to time, but get right back up through prayer and repentance. They did not lose their faith in God, but experienced a temporary veering off course, which is easily done and why we are urged to be deliberate in holding steadfast the beginning of our confidence unto the end.

• 2 weeks later...

1) I believe the word "rest" stands in direct contrast to the word "work." When as mere men we work, we naturally experience an expenditure, depletion, and exhaustion because as mere men our resources and power are limited and subject to deterioration. God's resources and power, however, are infinite; regardless of how much God gives of Himself, there is never less of Him remaining after he completes a work. In this way, God is always at rest, even when He is working. God promises those who follow Christ this same rest today and those who have received His Spirit and do not rebel against it, experience this heavenly gift of rest today.

2) The writer urges us to make every effort to enter God's rest today in the same sense that the writer cautions us to be very careful not to drift away. The effort we must make is to resist satan's message which is spoken in innumerable ways throughout the world and is contrary to the gospel upon which we have already taken our stand and achieved rest by.

3) The difference between apostasy and the types of sin all Christians experience from time to time is found in the specific intent of the sinner relative to God. When an apostate sins, he knows full well even before he sins that he is about to offend God and he willfully and rebelliously commits the sin notwithstanding the fact that he knows it will offend God because he has no desire to please God and in fact he despises God's ways and purposes for his life and for this reason he is unable to experience the godly sorrow for his sins which leads to repentance. A Christian who sins from time to time, however, does so because he is led or tricked into sin due to his ignorance or forgetfullness or lack of discipline. He does not intend or desire to be unattached from God and when he finds himself unexpectedly in sin, he experiences godly sorrow and quickly repents from his sin and toward his forgiving Savior in whom he finds rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's referring to entering into the promised land...our destination & home when our work on earth is completed and we have left the flesh and earthly labor behind. It's also I think, referring to the place we come to in our walk with the Lord, where we cease operating in the fleshly realm, striving to earn something, and can "sit down", so to speak, and rest in Him as we allow Him to flow/serve through us. I love the analogy of being a glove and He is the hand which fills and moves it. There is rest for our souls when we walk in that kind of believing faith, and are trusting Him to be Lord of our lives.

So that we don't perish by the same kind of unbelief & disobedience into which those in the wilderness fell.

Apostasy is a complete turning away, probably a permanent rejection of Christ, whereas, when a believing Christian sins, repents and turns to the Lord in sorrow for sinning against Him and others, the relationship is intact and the sinner is forgiven and restored.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11) What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the

believer?

The believer can rest in the Lord because He knows that God is in control. We can truly rest from our cares as we worship the Lord knowing He has promised to take care of our every need. Things of this world are not so important. What a wonderful gift from God to know that we can rest in His promise to take care of us if we only believe in Him.

To enter that rest means we truly trust in Christ to supply our every need. We do not have to take all our burdens of this world alone but can turn them over to our Heavenly Father. We truly accept Christ is our Lord and Savior when we enter into that rest.

• 6 months later...

The promise of rest is referring to eternal rest with the Father in heaven.

We are urged to make every effort to attain that rest by not falling away and by believing the promise of Jesus to give us this rest.

Apostasy is completely turning away from God and His principles. It is total rejection of God.

Falling into sin is what all Christians do because we are sinful by nature. We can't help it and no matter how hard we try, we are not nor can we be sinless because we are not perfect. We will always sin and fall short. That is why we must continue in our faith in God in believing in His forgiveness of our sins and His gift of righteousness to us as believers.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 4:8-11)

What do you think the writer of Hebrews means by this promise of "rest" for the believer?

I feel the author is writing about eternal life - the eternal life through faith in Christ. We are given a warning against giving up our faith and hope; for we are reminded by what happened to Israel in the wilderness for disobeying God. The Israelites also had the good news preached to them - the good news of rest in the land of Canaan. However most ignored it and did not benefit from the gospel of rest. Apostasy is turning away from our Lord and Saviour. We have to therefore, make every effort to avoid this disaster which follows unbelief. As Christians we all sin from time to time, but here we immediately confess and ask for forgiveness, trying never to commit that sin again.

• 1 month later...

1. The promise of God's Rest is a theme running through the Old Testament - I believe it refers our restoration to RESTing in God's presence as pictured in Genesis Ch 1-2. Since Chapt3 mankind have been running from God - we have lost our REST in HIM. Christ restored our REST as part of our Salvation blessings. HEAVEN - can't wait! : )

2. This is our ultimate prize - our highest ambition - to rest in God's presence is worth everything - every effort and every sacrifice - even martyrdom - to forever be with the LORD... Hallelujah!

3. We live in a fallen world and are affected by the sin around us. We need to repent daily as - despite our best efforts - we are not all we should be (yet) we don't love God perfectly.. we have divided commitments - whereas ...

Apostasy - is a deliberate decision to turn our backs on God and walk away from Him (and therefore His promises). It is abandoning our faith. There is no longer a promise of entering God's rest but eternal regret and suffering. a VERY bad decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it means to enter heaven where it is so much peace and the love of God. If you don

• 1 month later...

I believe the writer is talking of life eternal with our Lord Jesus Christ. In entering the rest we are submitting ourselves to God and following the Lord thus having a relationship with Him, and thru His mercy, we have a chance for life eternal. Apostasy from Christ is falling away from the truth,not believing the truth any more, where as falling into sin you do not neccesarally fall away from the truth because you still know the truth, you just are not walking it or living it. ;)

• 3 months later...

God's promised rest is not onlyu earthly, but heavenly as well. For believers, ther remains an eternal rest in heaven. Entering this final rest means ceasing from the labors, sufferings, and persecution common to our lives on this earth. Participating in God's own rest, and experiencing unending joy, delight, love, and fellowship with God and other redeemed saints. It will be a seventh day without end. We have to make every effort because of the glorious blessing that awaits us at our heavenly home. I think the difference is with apostasy from Christ is that people do not take Him at face valus. They do not believe with a true heart. As for Christitans, we confess our sin, repent with a true and believing heart, knowing that our sins are forgiven, and we can have a relationship with God.

• 4 months later...

When the writers speaks about "rest" for the believers I think he is speaking about eteranal life for the believer in the presence of God - and beig free from the rules, regulations and principles of this world. . .

We are urged to make every effort to enter that rest because there is the possibility that we can miss heaven just as many of the Israelites missed the promise land (Canaan) - and as a result of the same reason - unbelief. . .

Apostasy from Christ is to abandon or renounce one's relationship with Christ - to reject Christ. . . We are not perfect beings however we are forgiven - when we fall into sin or occasionally commit a sinful act - we have the ability to repent and continue our progression in Christ. . . 1 John 1:5-10 (NASB)

5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;

7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

B)

• 2 months later...

The first thought I had about rest was eternal life. One of the definitions of rest is to "cease." When Jesus returns for us, and takes us up to heaven with him, we will finally cease striving, struggling, stumbling, falling and fighting every human flaw that plagues us on earth. The way we get there is through trust, belief and obeying God.

Apostasy is a blatant turning away from all that is God, his will and his way. There's no remorse and one has fallen prey to a reprobate mind. The type of sin that occurs every so often are ones that we don't mean to commit. Maybe we're conscious of it but probably not as strong in that particular area. In this case, there is remorse, which leads us to repent and get back on track with God.