JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 91

On August 18, 2007 at 2:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Psalm 91) What does this psalm teach us about God's protection when in danger? What does it teach about our authority to vanquish our enemies? What promises does Psalm 91 contain? How does this psalm make you feel?

WOW. So much more in this Psalm than I first thought.  When I had read this Psalm prior to this Bible Study, I knew it had to to do with protection......but now I know it also has to do with our faith exchange with Him.  He protects us day and night both during danger, but also during calm times.  I can't help but think that those times while traveling or going about my business how he has protected me from situations that could have caused harm or injury.  Especially during those times that I am aware.  God has given me authority over Satan.  To rebuke those demons who are trying to lead us through the path of destruction.  God gives us many promises, to loves us, to protect us, to comfort us, to keep us safe from dangers, to hide us, to cover us.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 91) What does this psalm teach us about God's protection when in danger? What does it teach about our authority to vanquish our enemies? What promises does Psalm 91 contain? How does this psalm make you feel?  

It teaches us that He will keep us away from danger when it comes to the enemy. He will cover us with His wings during turbulent times. His truth will be what we cling to when we need to take cover or take control of a situation that the enemy that has taken from us. It teaches us that Satan has no power over us nor do his demons for we are Christ's. Long life, deliverance, honor, salvation It makes me want to glorify God and be closer to God.

Psalm 91 teaches us that God is more powerful than anything or anyone that we face. God will protect us from any kind of danger. Even when other people have become sick or been hurt we will be protected. God will send angels to guard and protect us from danger or harm.

It teaches us that we have authority over evil forces and over Satan himself. Nothing will harm us if we trust in Him.

Psalm 91 contains the promises that God will rescue us. He will protect us. He will answer us when we call upon Him. He will be with us when we are in trouble. He will deliver us and honor us. He will satisfy us and show us salvation.

It makes me feel that God loves me and cares for me deeply. That He loves me as one of His own children and longs to have a close relationship with me. He longs to be there for me and protect me. He longs for me to go to Him first for help because He loves me. It tells me that His love will never die and that He thinks I am precious in His sight. It makes me feel loved and wanted and that I can count on God even when others fail me.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This psalm starts of declaring the strong names of our Omnipotent, all powerful God who is our refuge, habitation, hiding place. He is our Fortress and Shield and in His shadow and in His wings we can hide. He saves us from the snare of the wicked one, who is trying to trap us and bring us down. He saves us from pestilences and diseases that devastate mankind. He protects us from all terrors, whether it happens when we are awake or at sleep. We live in a culture where people are worried and terrified about everything from flu epidemics to terrorist attacks. But here, the psalmist is glorying in not only the saving power of our Mighty God, but also His keeping power. Regardless of the physical, emotional, or financial battles surrounding us, the Lord Himself is our refuge.

The lion, the adder, the dragon are all names that refer to satan. Thus, satan will ultimately be trampled. God has given us power to trample, resist, and be victorious over him through the blood of Jesus and by the power of His name. Our God’s protection over us is not only in our defense, but we can use His name to be on the offensive, for Jesus declared that the gates of hell shall not prevail against us. It is His grace and His great love over us that entitled us to such great authority over the evil one.

There are eight promises in this psalm. They are 1) He will rescue me, 2) He will protect me, 3) He will answer me, 4) He will be with me in trouble, 5) He will deliver me, 6) He will honor me, 7) He will satisfy me with long life and ? He will show me His salvation.

This is one of the psalms I had memorized in my early Christian walk and is still one of my favorite. It is through this psalm that I had heard His audible voice twice, so clearly, to encourage me in my lowest point in my life. This psalm speaks volumes, with new revelation each time that constantly encourages and strengthens that our God is more than sufficient for any and every need of our lives. He not only provides and protects but gives us a destiny eternally all because of His great love towards us. He declares His name over us that we are His and that we belong to Him. All glory to Him alone.

• 4 years later...

Q2. (Psalm 91) What does this psalm teach us about God's protection when in danger? 

That in God we are truly safe. And that such protection are covenanted with those who love God, know the name of the Lord and call upon Him. 

What does it teach about our authority to vanquish our enemies? 

That when our lives are truly anchored in God we can conquer in His name through Jesus Christ who conquered all evil for us. 

What promises does Psalm 91 contain? 

For those who abide in God, the promise to protect, shield, deliver, Honour, satisfy with long life

How does this psalm make you feel?

It gives me confidence that God is my refuge and Saviour in a troubled world. 

• 1 month later...

Pastor Ralph summarizes the psalm by saying it gives us these "forthright promises:"

• to be rescued
  • to be protected
  • to have answers to our prayers
  • to not be alone when we're suffering or in trouble
  • to be delivered
  • to have a long life
  • to be saved

These promises are to mitigate fear. We are to take these general truths or promises and make them our own, to include them in our own faith.