JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Ascribe to the Lord glory and strength- This we give credit or we give glory to the Lord in everything. we give Him the due respect and honor for all His faithfulness to us. we give Him the glory for all every good thing he does for us. we give him the due honor that He deserves as our God and our Lord. we humble ourselves in His presence and we acknowledge that He is the ruler of our lives. with a heart of thanksgiving we allow Him to reign in our lives and submit to His plans and His will.

when we do not ascribe to the Lord glory or in other words when we do not give Him the due credit for what He has done for us and what He is to us then the Lord is not pleased with us. He cannot guide us and lead us and we are not able to enjoy His presence. The anointing of His Holy Spirit over our lives gradually decreases and we may tend to lose His good plans for us and His mighty blessings if we do not acknowledge God as our source of life.

Psalm 147 verse 1 declares- How pleasant and fitting it is to praise the Lord!! It is fitting to praise the Lord because we give Him all the glory and honor. He is worthy of our praises because He is the maker of heaven and earth. when we Praise our God we acknowledge his rule and reign over our lives. It is fitting to praise Him because our heavenly Father seeks worshipers who worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To “ascribe” to God attributes of glory and strength means to say that God is the one that gave us His great glory and strength. If we fail to ascribe to such qualities him then we are saying that he isn’t what the bible says that he is and we have decided that something or someone else is the one with the glory and strength.

God has given us everything so we need to be praising him.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 96) What does it mean to "ascribe" to God attributes of glory and strength? What happens when we fail to ascribe such qualities to him? In what sense is praise to God "fitting" or "worthy"?

The definition of this word is: tribute something to (a cause). Attribute to, assign to, put down to, accredit to, credit to, chalk up to, impute to; More

blame on, lay at the door of; connect with, associate with. Attribute (a text, quotation, or work of art) to a particular person or period. Regard (a quality) as belonging to.
Ascribe to God attributes of glory and strength is giving him the due recognition that he deserves-we are but mare grasshoppers before him (from the notes). Praise to God is fitting and worthy because we are giving him due recognition for who he is. The notes state that if we fail to do this we are "immensely ignorant and unrealistic."..."Only exceedingly great praise is appropriate before such a great God."

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 96) What does it mean to "ascribe" to God attributes of glory and strength? What happens when we fail to ascribe such qualities to him? In what sense is praise to God "fitting" or "worthy"?

To ascribe to the Lord his attributes of glory and strength is to reflect back to him the wonder and awe we feel when we behold his creation or experience his love and protection. When we fail to do this we lose site of who he is and place the focus on ourselves. He is our creator and savior He is more than worthy of our praise. This is what we were created to do.

• 4 months later...

Why should we ascribe glory and strength to God?  These are the qualities that conform to his name, his character, his reputation. Scripture says that all creation gives praise to his name. Because he is God he is due praise from us.  When we deny God the glory and strength due him we become very ego-centered, we deny the glory due him and we take it for ourselves. . 

• 11 months later...

To ascribe to God attributes of glory and strength is for us to recognize, Proclaim and praise a God for he is the one who created and is creating the heavens and the Earth. We should therefore bless the LORD at all times; and
his praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 34:1. We need to ascribe a glory it to God in order to put ourselves in a right frame of mind so that we will know and understand the great and awesome and difference between us and the Lord Yahweh.

When we fail to ascribe glory to God we begin to think that we are an equal playing field with God and this can be a tragedy.

It is always fitting and Worthy to give God the glory for he in his gracious Manner has given us life, the way and eternal life.

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Ascribe to the Lord is to praise for his attributes to give all glory to him.  If we do not glorify God we are then being egocentric.  We are not relying on God.  Praising God is what we SHOULD do to keep us grounded to the fact that God is sovereign.

• 9 months later...

It means that we are to give him the glory and praise due Him. For He is a great God and He is worthy of our praises. We are to fill our minds and hearts with thoughts of Him and His kingdom that will one day be on earth. We are to remember and give him praise for what He has done for us. We are to give back to Him what He has given us and do it freely and ungrudgingly. As we remember that our Savior gave His life for us on the cross and God gave up His Son so we could be free from eternal damnation. We must remember to praise Him for who He is and what He has created and praise Him for His goodness. We must give Him honor as our King and as our Lord. We must give Him give Him honor in that he is all powerful and He is our Rock. It is His strength that carries us through not our own in this Christian life.

I believe that when we fail to ascribe to God these qualities then we make Him like us and fail to realize that He is the Almighty and we are but small compared to our great God. When we refuse to acknowledge Him through praise then our relationship with Him dries up as well. It is only when we spend time thinking about Him and who He is and then sing praises to Him that we become closer to Him and want to glorify Him. God is worthy of all that we can possibly give Him.

It is fitting to give praise to God because these qualities are a part of who He is. He is glorious in splendor and magnificent. He is strong or all-powerful and He is our Rock. These things line up with who He is and why He should be praised; because there is no other god like Him. When we give Him praise and adoration we are agreeing with the whole universe about who He is. Creation shouts it out through what He has created and spiritual man, God’s greatest creation should be joining right in with creation and singing louder to let all the world know.

To ascribe to God attributes like that it means to give Him what is rightfully due to Him. For He is a King and rightfully deserves to be praised for what He does and who He is. For He is clothed in robes of glory and deserves the praise He rightfully deserves from us. We are to worship Him with holy hearts and know that He is holy and pure and that He requires the same from us as well. He will not share His glory with another either for He is a jealous God. He is very jealous for us. We need to worship Him with reverence and holy awe because of who He is and not just because of what He does for us. 

When we fail to do it we think that we can bend Him down to our level and make Him like we are or turn Him into a genie in a bottle who answers our every whim on a prayer. But that is not who He is or what He is. He is the God of the Bible who created us and the earth. He will not do what we want. He will do what is only is best for us.  

It is worthy or fitting when our hearts are in the right place and we are worshipping the Lord with awe and holy reverence and fear. When we realize that God is not someone who is created but the Creator and He wants a relationship with us so He can spend time with us. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

To ascribe is to give or impute glory and strength. God is worthy of glory and strength and we willfully and joyously render it to Him to Whom it is due.

When we fail to ascribe such qualities to Him, we are not recognizing who He is. He is not magnified in our eyes. When He is not magnified, then self is magnified which will result in pride and it will ultimately result in our fall.

Only He is worthy to be praised. Worthy means to ascribe worth ship. There is no one who can truly have “worthship” other than God Himself. It is true, that we become like whom we worship. God is not a glory hog that He wants us to worship only Him. But He knows that as we worship Him, we take on more and more His characteristics and as a good Father, He wants His children to be in His likeness.   

• 4 years later...

Pastor Ralph used the term “mirror” in part of his description of “ascribe.” I like this. I imagine holding a mirror to God in such a way that the reflection shines on people who don’t know Him.

Scribe is a Jewish teacher. We tend to think of scribe as a writer, but it’s really a teacher of religious law. To put the “a” in front of it is a way of emphasizing the word as in a-wake or a-rise. 

So David, here, is telling us to TEACH -- really teach … to teach large crowds with riveting content. We are to broadcast loudly and emphatically that God is glory and God is strength. Evangelism is not supposed to be subtle, but brazen and bold. TEACH people about God’s strength. Give Him the glory!

Lord, You reign! You reign over all of us, even the evildoers. You are more powerful than the persecution that’s happening to us. Jesus … Jesus … Jesus … You are over this. You are more powerful than suffering and persecutors. You are GOD.

When I don’t think of God as in charge and all powerful, my faith quickly falters. I begin to look at my own suffering and trials and not to Him. But “the Lord is near.”  I am reminded to “be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let my requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension Shall guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4 (Sometimes, in order to feel that God is really talking to me, I change the pronouns.)

When my eyes are on Jesus and not on myself, which is difficult in the midst of a frightening trial, my stomach unknots and the nausea lessens. My attitude is less fearful and I feel more secure. To live in a universe in which God reigns and to know that He is watching over everything, carefully and lovingly, makes trials and sufferings easier to bear.  

I can praise Him because I know that if I die, I’ll be with Him and that He is controlling whatever happens to me before my death. Though I’m struggling to believe that He wants the best for me in this trial and even struggling to believe that He’ll intervene on my behalf,  I know God is good and all-powerful. Yes, God is good. In Joel it says God “is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love and RELENTS FROM SENDING CALAMITY.” Praise God!!  He may relent from sending calamity!

To worship Him in a way that is “fitting” is to acknowledge His sovereignty and our own powerlessness; His righteousness and our own sinfulness. To worship Him in a fitting manner puts us in “right relationship” to Him, which is both dirt under His feet and His children. We are His children and He is our Father. Isn't that amazing?

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalm 96)

What does it mean to "ascribe" to God attributes of glory and strength?

• To give to or offer up unto God declarations that conforms to His unmatched character as Creator, Restorer, Deliverer, Saviour, God of love....

What happens when we fail to ascribe such qualities to him?

• We find ourselves on the path of deluded egocentrism and pride. Pride comes before destruction, a crashing of our self-centered agenda and many times to our demise.

In what sense is praise to God "fitting" or "worthy"?

• In the sense that God is great Creator of heaven and earth (Genesis 1:4) and That He is holy/light, in Whom there is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5).