JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Question to the Angel

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary's why was simple, she did not understand what was going to happen to her

since she did not (know) in other words

was not involved with a man yet intimately.

she was cruious as to how it would happen

like a child innocent in not knowing how

God could bring this about.

Zachariah's question was another matter

he was almost scoffing God . Saying you

really think I can believe you that this

child will be born to us. We are an old

man and an old woman. You's got to be

off your rocker to think I would believe

you . Sort of denying God could do such a

thing.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

According to the KJV: Zechariah said, "Whereby shall I know this?" which I believe means "Show me the facts so I can believe." As for Mary she states, "How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?" I believe Mary is saying "I am? Ok, but I know not a man; how exactly are you going to do it?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mary was very young. I think God is especially tender towards, and gentle with, the very young. Gabriel said she believed. She broke into song then. But later, when Jesus was born, and the shepherds were ecstatic, she treasured up all these things, and pondered them in her heart. I'm only surmising, but I'm wondering if maybe she was a quiet soul. Someone God knew would be thoughtful and in control of her emotions and tongue as she raised Jesus to be Israel's Messiah and the Lamb of God. Jesus's path in life would be hard, lonely and cruel. God chose Mary to help prepare him.

Zacharias was alot older and he was a priest. Gabriel said he didn't believe. He needed to learn that he should have known better, as a leader in Israel, and someone with the grave privilege of having access to the Holy Place, a place filled with symbols of the coming Messiah. But also, in his position he came into contact with alot of people. Maybe God wanted to keep a lid on what had gone on in there between Gabriel and him.....for awhile anyway. And knew he'd learn better if he had his eyes and ears open, and mouth closed. By the time John was born, he'd witnessed his wife's pregnancy, Mary's visit and pregnancy, and had plenty of time to contemplate, pray about, and better understand what was coming to pass. The song he burst into at John's birth shows a much different spirit. Now he was a man who could be father and guide to the forerunner of the Messiah. John had a hard road ahead of him and Zacharias was in a better position to help him prepare for it.

Mary asked how because she knew she was a virgin and had not been with a man,

she was to marry Joseph. Mary's how was not doubt but, more of a fascination, and

why was she pick to carry out this task. I don't believe that Mary was questioning

Gabriel as to nonbeliveth, but more why was she chosen to carry out this miracle.

Zachariah's how was actually disbelief he was asking for assurance - 'how can I know?' is much different than 'How will this happen?' which is what Mary asked. When Mary says 'how will...' instead of 'how can...' she is totally trusting just curious about details.And so the two different responses of the angel, actually they both got what they wanted for when Zachariah found that he could not talk all his doubt would have been put to rest, he did get a sign. And as for Mary, she was told in beautiful language how she would become the mother of Jesus, the son of God!

Mary' question didn't doubt the Lord's promise just how it would happen seeing she wasn't married yet.

Zechariah's question was one of unbelief. He was in the temple, praying and an angel of the Lord appeared and told him. He wanted a sign so he could believe. It seems that Gabriel gave him one: the sign of silence. John MacArthur said it was a mild rebuke.

However it would seem to me that they were both rewarded!!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

mary question how can this be?

was of wonder but not of doubt.how could she bear a child when she had no relation with any man?although the angel did not sa so in so many words,the answer was virgin birth.it would be a miracle of the holy spirit.he would come upon her and the power of god would overshadow her.to mary problem of how?-it seemed impossible to human reckoning-gods answer is the 'holy spirit

Q2 During Mary's time, to conceive a child before marriage and especially when she is

a virgin is out of the question. It is unbelievable and against their custom. It

is unthinkable for an unmarried young woman to come to such a state, she will be

stoned to death. She will be disowned and her family's namesake will be smeared.

That's why when the angel Gabriel told her she was stunned and this made her

questioned Gabriel on the how.

For Zechariah, knowing that he himself and his wife are both of advanced age will

in a general sense think that to conceive now is impossible.

Mary was rewarded was because of her simplicity, obedience and her strong faith in

God. Being brought up with according to God

The difference was their faith. Mary obviously believed this could happen, but admitted she couldn't comprehend by what means since she had never engaged in the intimate relationship that produces children. She was rewarded because she trusted this word from the LORD. She was given reassurance that God can do the "impossible". Gabriel instructed Mary to go visit her aged cousin Elizabeth, who was 6 months along in her own out-of-the-question pregnancy.

Zechariah may have abandoned the prayer he and Elizabeth had prayed for years, thinking the time had long passed for anything to come of it. Even knowing the record of how the LORD had done this very thing for Abraham, he didn't believe Gabriel's announcement that this same blessing was possible for him. His disbelief brought on the discipline of being silenced by God so that he would not be able to speak until his son was born - not the kind of sign he was looking for!

In some ways I can imagine this as a contrast between the innocent trust of youth and the cynical distrust of old age. As a very young woman, Mary hadn't yet faced the disappointments and unrealized dreams of life that threaten to harden the hearts of even those who follow God. She simply trusted with the humble faith Jesus commended in children (Matthew 18:4) that this miraculous birth could happen because God said it would. Zechariah had probably given up hope and perhaps lost his faith. When he asked "How", I think he was asking for proof with some kind of sign, rather than for an explanation of the way the promise would come to pass. We need to guard our hearts, that they will remain tender and trusting!

Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18) in that Mary's question was based on the fact that as far as she knew that the only means, she knew of, to become pregnant had never happened to her; whereas Zechariah's question was based on the fact that he knew that his wife Elizabeth was aged and barren. Mary's was rewarded because her response was of faith and Zechariah was disciplined because his response was of unbelief.

Mary's question was made in innocence. She wasn't doubting God or Gabriel, she was just a young teen who knew she was promised to Joseph and in her innocence wanted to know how this was to come about as she was to be a virgin until her wedding night. I think she may have felt some fear knowing what the repercussions could possibly be. With the innocence of a child she accepted the message God had sent to her.

Zachariah's response was more one of disbelief and was put forth more along the lines of questioning and doubting what God could do. I think it was more like he was challenging God's Word.

Q2. (Luke 1:34)

In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary did not doubt Gods ability but asked the question to try and understand how this could happen - it was not a question of doubt. Zechariah on the other hand doubted Gods ability and was subsequently punished. He was struck by the sheer impossibility of the promise.

In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Zechariah was asking in unbelief. Zechariah was questioning the ability of God. Mary was asking with a genuine curiosity as to how God could bring to pass, something that seemed impossible, and she was not asking in unbelief.

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Because Mary believed and was asking God a question. And Zechariah did not believe and was questioning God's ability.

Whereas Mary is asking the question how is God going to do this? - fully believing that He would do it. Zechariah is asking the question how do I know that God is going to do this or prove it! This is a subtle but very important difference. Mary believed that it was going to happen but wanted to know what the mechanism would be (a fair question for someone in her position) whereas Zechariah didn't believe that it would happen at all and wanted a sign that what Gabriel was saying was true. Zechariah was disciplined for his unbelief, although ultimately he was rewarded with the birth of a son. Mary was rewarded for her faith.

Mary was willing and believed the angel. Zechariah just couldn't bring himself to believe Gabriel. At first glance, I thought maybe it had something to do with Mary's and Zechariah's ages; for instance, Mary was young and Zechariah was old so maybe it was easier for her to believe and step out in faith than it was for Zechariah because he could have been "set in his ways" and afraid. As I began to look closer, I realized that age has nothing to do with faith; believing what God says and doing it are conditions of the heart. Our hearts need to be ready to believe and obey.

"'How will this be,' Mary asked the angel, 'since I am a virgin?'" (1:34) Seeing I know not a man(ginosko).

Mary

I don't think I can share anything new that hasn't already been said--namely, that Zechariah was all about the "How can I be sure," while Mary was thinking, "What will be this miracle's process?" I am interested, however, in the question posed in today's lesson. What would *I* have said?

It's hard to admit this, but I'm pretty sure I would fall into Zechariah's camp. I struggle with wanting things to be certain and all figured out NOW. I know a lot of people would say the same, but I think I really go into panic mode if I can't figure out what the outcome of something is going to be. Living in trust of God's workings in our mysterious lives is tough, but he certainly offers Mary as an inspiration and model.

I am going to question the question. It is a leading question. I think God answered each "How will I know this" in His own way, for His own purpose and plan. Not every time a perceived evil occurs, is it a punishment. Scripture states, Luke 1:6), that both Zachariah and Elizaabeth were righteous before God, they were walking in the commandments and ordinances of the Lord...blamelesss. I think Scripture supports that the answer to the "How will I know" was an answer in the form of a sign from God. It was a frightening thing for the High Priest to go into to presence of the God of the Universe and serve in the temple....He had to enter cleanly before God....that privilege was not taken lightly. Zacharaih has just seen and spoken with an angel....and has been told not to fear and that his prayers have been answered....and that he will have joy and gladness and that many will rejoice at the birth of his child...Luke 1:14. Wow....that is powerful news. It seems to me, that the inability to speak until the deed has been accomplished will be to "the many" who were praying outside the temple....a sign of the validity of the word of the high priest exiting the inside of the temple bringing news from an angel...that this joyful birth would come in the spirit and power of Elias....and proclaiming, "Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for Him". and this silent annoucement...will set the stage for Gabriel's annoucement to Mary in the near future.

Mary, also, asked "How shall this thing be". and God told her by way of Gabriel the angel, and told her as well, the news of Elizabeth....and for Mary, this news was joyful and an extra layer of validity to what she had just experienced and believed.