JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Question to the Angel

I think that Mary's response shows a pure heart that is willing to submit to God's will, without having to know all the details. Zechariah's response shows that he has become skeptical over the years.

Your question made me look at this in a new light. I now see that things that I once accetped as being "of God" when I was younger, are now looked at in a more critical light. I simply don't give God the credit as much as I used to. Like Zechariah, I take an "I'll beliver it whenI see it" stance. Time to go back to the old way of looking at things...

Thaks for the eye-opener!

Thanks for your honesty...I think it is true that some of us lose a child-like sense of wonder and awe, and perhaps this is what Jesus was talking about in part when he said we must come as children. It is hard, though, seeing the world and all the evil it is capable of, and knowing just how many ways we can feel disappointed, abandoned or ashamed, to remember that with God all things are possible and that God is working in all things for our good (Romans 8:28)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

it differs from Zachariah's question because it was said with a joyful believing heart. And so she was rewarded because she asked to know more and thriugh faith , but Zachariah asked with doubts about such miracle.

Zechariah held doubt ( How can I be sure of this?) so was made mute. Mary wanted to know how it would be as she was a Virgin. She was a servant unto the Lord and accepted what Gabriel said. She was willing to let God work through Her and be used of God. DOUBT vs. FAITH.

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

18Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years."

34"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"

Zechariah's question showed he couldn't believe it. He was not sure and doubted because of their human conditions. :unsure:

By the way, Mary's question was different. She is asking the way how God will work on her. :)

Basically their attitudes were different and the angel knew the differences.

When Mary was told that she was going to give birth to a child even though she was still a virgin, she ask the angel how this was going to happen? Its not that she didnt believe, its just that she was confused. She never heard of anything like that. But Zechariah had doubt becuase he was old in age as well as Elizabeth. He was convinced that there was no way.

Mary not once questions that it won't happen just wonders on the how it will happen. Meanwhile Zechariah how is doubting that such a thing could happen...as if something was to difficult for the Lord to perform. Mary was rewarded because of her deep faith that all is possible and that the Lord is telling her of what is...no matter how strange it may appear to her. Zechariah was disciplined to show to him that God does indeed know all and that nothing is to hard for the Lord. His lack of faith and understanding sorely lacked and needed to be brought to his attention...also since not speaking he had time to reflect on what was happening and so would others.

Mary's question was one of faith or puzzlement. Since she was a virgin, and hadn't been intimate sexually with a man yet, she probably wondered just how this miraculous birth would be accomplished.

Gabriel rewarded Mary for her faith by explaining how the virgin birth would be accomplished.

Zechariah was disciplined because his question was one of disbelief. As a priest he should have known his scripture. He should have realized that the angel's announcement that Elizabeth would give birth to a child in her old age wouldn't be the first time God accomplished this miracle.

Sarah, Abraham's wife had given birth to a son Isaac in old age.

MARY ASKED HOW CAN THIS BE IAM A VIRGIN ..MARY JUST HAD TO BELIEVE ... ZECHARIAH'S .. SAID HOW COULD THIS BE IAM A OLD MAN ..MY WIFE IS BARREN!

18And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.

34Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

I can see where Zacharias would doubt being old myself, well past the child bearing years he must have been full of doubt but being a priest He should have been well aware of the power of His God but he didn't so God showed him that He was in control and things would be as He said.

Mary also had doubt in that she had never known a man but she at the same time knew in her heart that her God was well able to do anything that He said He would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's "How" was different because she did not doubt the miracle, the birth of Jesus , she just wondered how this (birth) would happen. Where Zechariah's made excuses and reasons for Elizabeth being old and himself being to old.

He did not say as Mary did let your will be done. :unsure:

Zechariah doubted the miracle so he was disciplined by being silenced for months.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mary asks the angel Gabriel how this thing shall be, where Zechariah asks why should he believe it. Both have valid points. Mary is virginal and Zechariah and his wife are both old. But Mary believes anyway and Zechariah does not.

Mary - (KJV) "How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? "

Zechariahs - (KJV) "Whereby shall I know this?"

Mary asked out of wonderment, amazement at Gabriel's announcement, and at the same time, showed that she had faith that God could do such a thing. Zechariah's response was more of an 'I will have to see this to believe it' or 'how will I know this is true?', challenging God to do what he has said.

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Mary's "how" question was seeking clarification about the visitation, since she was a virgin, and was based on faith, wonder and acceptance of the pronouncement.

Zechariah's question was based on unbelief...he wanted a sign or proof that the Angel was telling the truth.

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

God responds to faith. Mary was practically a child with probably very little knowledge of the scriptures.

Zechariah was a priest, steeped in the Word of God...one who would enter the Holy of Holies when it was his rotation, to experience the miracle of the atonement. The angel gave him a very long and detailed description of what God was about to do....and he questioned whether God could actually perform the miracle, though he would have knowledge about God's promised child through miraculous intervention in Abraham and Sarah's old age. His visitation was about a "repeat performance".

Mary's "how question" what motivated by a heart of faith. She believed God in spite of her natural circumstances.

Zechariah's "how question" was motivated by a heart of unbelief. He had to "see" it to "believe it" due to the natural circumstances.

Mary was rewarded for her faith.

Zechariah was disciplined for his lack of faith.

God responds to faith -- positively or negatively, but He does respond.

Both Mary and Zechariah were presented with news that they were about to experience a miracle birth, and in Mary's case was probably totally unexpected.

A big difference I see between the two is that I imagine Zechariah had spent most of his life wanting and praying for a son. Yet when he was told it was going to happen, he responded not with joy, but with skepticism.

Mary's response is remarkable and on a personal level we ought to emulate her courage and her complete trust and surrender. At the same time, I think we should remember Zechariah: each of us needs to guard against becoming jaded as we go through disappointments in our life.

I see Zechariah as symbolic of the bulk of the Jewish people, waiting and hoping for the Messiah yet not ready at His coming. May we, the Body of Christ, watch and be ready for His return as He instructed. (Luke 21:34-36)

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Hard to say, although it was not God, but Gabriel who disciplined Zechariah. Maybe Zechariah had to be prevented from speaking any more words of unbelief. Maybe we can't imagine just how offensive our unbelief is.

The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time." (Luke 1:19-20)

Mary's question was different from Zechariah's in that his was blatantly doubting. Mary seems awestruck and full of wonder, like she was musing out loud. Well, how can this happen rather than I don't think this can happen.

Zechariah was also much older than Mary and probably more educated. He was punished for his lack of belief. Mary was spared because of her wondering acceptance.

The previous comment about the Jewish people and Zechariah is interesting. I guess Zechariah and Mary are examples of how we can choose to accept God's workings in our lives. We can doubt and be anxious or we can be amazed at all He does for us. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Mary's question rose from Faith, but Zexhariah's question rose from Unbelief.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's question of how differ's from Zechariah's because she believed and had faith in God. She knew it was going to happen, but she was puzzled at how it would happen. She never doubted the Lord. Zechariah never believed or trusted the Lord. He did not have the faith. Mary was rewarded because of her faith and Zechariah was disciplined because of his unbelief.

• 9 months later...

When Zacharias questioned the angel, he obviously did not believe what the angel was saying--see verse 20. I presume that Mary's question was more of a "how is this going to happen?" question rather than doubting that it would happen. She simply wanted to know what method God would use to fulfill her destiny.