JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fulfilling the Old Testament Law

Q1. (Matthew 5:17-20) Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith? What does a "Christian" legalism look like in a church? What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians?

• I would not say that the church has abolished the law of the old testament, although there are some laws that are not followed in the church today.
  • Christian legalism in the church exists when some people pass judgment on others and when they feel superior to others. The church must have moral standards since we have Jesus as our example.
  • A church without moral standards would be a church that does not emulate Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:17-20) Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith? What does a "Christian" legalism look like in a church? What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians?

No, I can not see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith yet

In a church a "Christian" legalism looks like the lives of Pharisees our salvation is by works not by grace

It looks like we live in the era of Sodom and Gomorrah in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians

In the church today, the tendencies are to ignore some of the teachings of the Old Testament rather than "abolish" it from the Christian faith. "Christian" legalism in the church is conformity to the Mosaic law for salvation rather than belief that salvation is through Jesus Christ. In a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians is not a church of God and therefore such people cannot be called "Christians". "Christians" are called "Christians" because they exhibit the character of Christ in their daily living.

• 2 months later...

Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith?

I think that many churches today honestly believe that abandoning the OT is ok because Jesus came to make new laws.. They forget that throughout the OT we see God's grace guiding his people..Yes, there came to be legalism, like in Leviticus, but this is the exception..[/color]

What does a "Christian" legalism look like in a church?

I am in a liturgical church.. I see legalism in the rules of dressing the the clergy and the upkeep of the altar. There is a 'certain' way the candles must be lit and only select people may touch the altar and the chalices. When the liturgy is changed just a little bit, there are complaints from many in the congregation.

It is this legalism that is driving many away from organized religion.. We spend our time keeping the laws and forget to love people as they are.. JESUS DID!!

I believe that when we don't love all who come, just as Jesus showed us to do, we go to the safety of hard and fast laws.. It is easier than putting effort to reach out and accept sinners (all of us). If we introduce the God of Love through our servanthood, forget judgement (that is God's job) our churches will begin to fill up again!!

What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians?

A church that displays the Unconditional Love of God will not be looking for someone to judge.. It is the church's job to teach the Word, but then allow the congregation to make their own choices.. If WE have shown them the WAY..the rest is between God and them. And, I am not their God!! :)

• 3 months later...

Yes, I can. To many are compromising the law's of God. They don't think there is amy significance of the Old Testament of the lifestyle of Christian's today. They think the law was meant for Old Testament people only. I think a Christian legalism would know the law, knowing that it is what Christ came to teach us, having faith and believing in Christ. It is a moral code for a Christian who is in a saved relationship with God and by obeying it, we express the life of Christ in us. In a church where there are no moral standard's, there is no love, no unity, no moving of the Holy Spirit, and mostly man made rules. God is almost completely out of the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:17-20)

Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith?

We read in 2 Tim 3:16: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 2 Tim 3:16 (NIV). Therefore we should know that nothing in Scripture is without significance. Unfortunately we notice today the tendency of churches to look upon the OT as outdated and of no relevance. These churches could be doing this to increase the numbers attending and so boost their revenue - also perhaps to please the people attending.

It is a church ruled by man. They worship by man-made rules and laws

• 5 months later...

Many people do seem to act as if the "Jewish Bible" doesn't have anything to do with them. They overlook the fact that the Law is what shows us what sin is. Even though anyone would acknowledge that it is impossible for any of us to keep all the laws without Jesus' taking our sin on Him, when we are saved we are transformed so that we desire to do what God wills. I would call this being liberated from sin. Others might say that they have been liberated from the law, and aren't obligated to keep it.

Some people have a tendecy to adhere to a lot of rules, and try to make others do so as well. They have an idea of what a Christian should look like, act like, and be like, that they believe everyone needs to conform to. They tend to ignore or downplay the personal relationship with Jesus that we all should have. There is a lot of worrying about appearing to keep the letter of the law without really feeling the spirit of it in your heart.

This is like humanism or relativism. People will believe they are their own authority on right and wrong and spiritual matters. This would look not much different from the rest of the world.

• 1 month later...

(Matthew 5:17-20) Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith?

For the last several years I've attended liturgical churches. The Old Testament and even the Apocrypha are read along with the Gospel and Epistles.

I feel that legalism of today is just like it was in the time of Jesus especially seen through the pharisees. One looks at the surface for external acts, rather than internal following of the "law".

What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians?

I feel in a sense this is more like a "social" group consisting of the worlds rules and acceptance for all. The holiness of God is gone.

These are GREAT questions!!!!! Ones I have been thinking about and honestly I do not know the answer so I will give it a shot and am looking forward to reading other people's replies.

Before i became Christian i was of the mindset that being homosexual was okay, "to each his own" i thought to myself. Obviously this mindset leads to death because if you follow it through it basically means that anything goes which is a lie.

I see the church struggling with this issue for example. Some churches are extremely intolerant of homosexuals while there are now churches which seem to basically be taking on that mindset of "to each his own" (using "love" and "compassion" as a disguise for saying the sin of homosexuality is okay). Both extremes I see as bad. While practicing spirit of love and tolerance is important, God's law stands and will "in no ways pass away". We must find a way to lovingly instruct in truth while at the same time hating the sin that God hates.

I am very interested to hear others opinions on this.

As far as legalism, I see the Catholic church as an example of a church very immersed in legalism--however, i admit I have not spent much time ever in a Catholic church so I will not ellaborate on a subject I do not know much about.

There are some churches who because of many reasons are not being clear about the truth--there are plenty of sermons on the subject of love and forgiveness but not as many on God's law and how it applies to us today. They preach half a truth and that is dangerous.

There are too many "new religions" out there preaching only what people feel comfortable with.

As Christains we know we are not out to please people, we are out to please God. Yes, we want to love people and carry the gospel message with a pure heart and motive, however, our hearts and motives must be turned to God and doing and speaking what is right in His eyes not in the eyes of the world. Reading and studying and praying are so important for us as individuals--not just in a church setting--so that we can learn a little more each day about the heart of God, who He is, what He desires from us.

• 1 month later...

!. Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith? It's truly sad what's going on in the Church today, there seems to be many opinions, doctrines, beliefs, and many churches springing up all over the place with their portion of the Gospels Truth. Who's the real church, it seems that some yeast has sneaked its way in?

Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God is valid, whether it's from the Old or New Testament, it's all good for our learning, reprove, etc. There are some tendencies in some churches that I have seen that do stay away from the Old Testament and only think that the New Testament is valid, saying it's all by grace and not by works. Seeker friendly churches, no repentance, change or obedience is required. Many people fall away because they don't exercise and apply the teachings of Christ. We must have faith in Him.

Jesus said to the people "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees you will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven." So there was some work to be done on our part, you still had to pursue what is good. Even though the Pharisees where in charge of keeping the law, they themselves didn't obey it either, but they still exercised some obedience, just not the fullness of it, their hearts where so far from God, they made the law out to be hard, tedious, instead of showing the beauty and grace that comes from loving God. As it was then, obedience is still required today, belief, faith in Christ and go. The law condemns us sin, it can never save us, the law teaches us that we are in need of God to help us. On our own it's impossible to save ourselves, but with God all things are possible. How does one discover that he or she is poor in spirit, because the law tells you so and Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament who testifies to the truth. We must turn away from our sins. He comes to convict the world of sin, and redeems us from it. Jesus shows us the way of what we should be living like, etc. The Old Testament says that when Christ comes he will reveal all things of Truth. Jesus says to follow Him, and if we don't we shall truly die in our sins. Now that Christ sits at the right hand of the Father we have been given the gift and the power of the Holy Spirit that teaches us all things about Christ. We are not left alone, or left to be orphaned. When we become good because of what Christ has done for us, it's the Holy Spirit doing God's work in and through us. We can't boast, it's not our works, it Christs.

2. What does a "Christian" legalism look like in a church? Because there are many churches, many have different requirements to be saved. Some say if you don't speak in tongues you're not saved, or if you wear make-up you're not saved, it you eat meat on Fridays, if you sin you're not saved, if you don't get baptized, if you don't belong to a certain church, or group, if you don't worship on Saturday's, if you don't tithe, etc..............

3. What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians?A church without moral standards and obedience would like it was in desperate need of a saviour, Jesus Christ, only He can save us from our sins. Christ becomes our power and our strength to be overcomers of the world. Without morals and obedience to God we look like the ways of the world. More is required from Christians, the more you receive, more is required from you.

God's blessings to you, Lory

• 3 months later...

1. Well, there are discussions going on about reading the 10 Words every week in church + to what amount we take Genesis literally.

2. That most be the 'gereformeerden' in my country, who take everything so literally that all love had disappeared. They don't allow women to wear trousers, they don't let children be vaccinated agains horrible infectuous diseases, ... Who keeps most rules as literally as possible gets the best place in heaven, they seem to think.

3. It would be an anarchy.

• 4 months later...

Sadly, today MOST churches don't teach the REAL TRUE wor of our LORD. The music now is more gear the teenager, the message isn't there.

Legalism "means" everything is done the same way everytime. Their salvation is "earned" this way, the Holy Spirit can't work in hearts very well.

This church would look like a wild fire, gone wild.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=739

Starting from the last question forward, I am probably sheltered mid-westerner here, rather conservative in my thinking, but can there be such a church?? Isn't the whole idea of a church to instill and teach moral standards to its members?? I would also say that the "church" would EXPECT of their parishoners that they would be obedient to the laws of the land and the laws of God. (please note that this is the EXPECTED behavior...unfortunately not everyone follows at the same rate, nor is everyone always successful in their pursuit of obedience). Perhaps I should be phrasing it that every church that I have ever gone to has been that way. I am sure that there are some places out there that call themselves a church but don't worship God, and maybe that is where you would run into that.

I think that there probably are many churches that don't teach on the Old Testament and concentrate solely on the New. Our Bibles have also been made in so many different ways that I am sure that it is confusing for many that want to find a new Bible to know if they are getting "the right one" I think that a balanced teaching is best and one that can contrast the old and the new and show how both apply is what should be done.

I am sorry if I am off base on the definition of Christian legalism, but I am assuming that it would be a church that follows blindly what one man's interpretation is of God's law? If so that might be a church that restricts the worship time so much as to make thing s just a ritual and not have any feeling into it.

Let me know if I am wrong and if so how far off base :-)

We don't hear much about the Old Testament these days but we do know that we must follow the Ten Commmandments. I do not agree with the idea that we are saved by grace and there fore any thing goes. If we are really saved and really believe, then we must try our hardest to live a moral life according to these commandments.

• 1 month later...

we are sinful, broken human beings in desperate need of God's Grace through Jesus.

Christian Legalism means if we do what is right in the sight of God and church people, we are saved, by living up to the law... but there is no way anyone can live up to that. For this reason, Jesus Christ Son of God came and took on flesh, and sacrificed Himself to bridge the gap between God and us. Legalism is a thing to be avoided, some churches try to be more "modern" and less teaching from the whole Bible. This is not just affecting our younger people, it affects all of us. A church with no moral standards and no obedience is not Christian church, it is a popularity contest to get people off the street, but not into heaven. Still if they preach JESUS SAVES, such a church has some benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:17-20) Can you see any tendencies in the church today to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith? I don't see any such tendencies. Of course, the Old Testement has to be read in the light of the New and in particular in the light of the life of Jesus, but in my experience I don't see any tendency to sweep the Old Testament away completely.

What does a "Christian" legalism look like in a church? The same as it did in Jesus' time. Essentially, this comes back to the old issue of us thinking that we can save ourselves by our own efforts; by complying with a set of rules or a set format of doing things. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the rules or the set format of doing things, but it isn't that which is going to save us.

What does it look like in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians? It isn't a church, or at least not a Christian Church. I am not sure what it is, but it certainly is not a Christian Church.

[/quote)

The tendencies I've seen in the church today to effectively "abolish" the OT from our Christian faith includes doing away with the rituals that the Jews did. We don't practice sacrifices as they did, nor do we circumsize for the reason they did.

Christian legalism in a church is one that teaches we must obey its "rules" or beliefs in order to live up to the Christian code. For example, some denominations believe that women shouldn't wear makeup because women should appear "shamefaced before God." That's not what the scripture means at all. Also, other denominations believe that it is necessary to wear certain clothes in order to show the world that they are Christians. The Bible teaches women to dress modestly, but we all should know that if the heart isn't right with God, then it doesn't matter what that person wears. Legalism also pertains to the church service itself. The people know how many hymms are going to be sung, when the preaching is going to be over, and that an invitational hymn is going to be sung at the end. Of course, God wants us to have order in the church, but is there any place in it so that He can change the order if needed? What if someone needed to be prayed with during the opening hymn? Would that person feel comfortable in asking someone to pray with him or her then? What if God moved upon the hearts of the choir or song leader and told them to keep singing praises to Him because He was enjoying it? Would they listen to Him and obey? Many churches wouldn't. They don't know it's okay to move out of tradition. Tradition has become ingrained into the way they worship.

A church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians is called a social club and not a church. If that is what people want, then they should just join a local organization and hang out with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Church today has tendecies to "abolish" the O.T. from our faith when it teaches "social justice" and this idea of just meeting peoples physical needs w/o adressing their need to hear the Gospel which begns with the "fall". There is also a tendency to see the Law as part of the Old Covenant and not "relevant" today because of our modern progressive times. Churches often teach the Law as bondage only and don't show the Law as its intended fence of protection.

I think Christian legalism can look like rules on how to dress and appearances beyond modesty but into styles and without regard to the heart. Other appearances of legalism could even look like Baptism and Communion if not done in the right frame of mind. In a nut shell, traditions kept and practiced more than the reading of scripture and emphasis on the heart looks like legalism.

This will look chaotic I would think. Without standards where is "the House built on Rock". These "christians" I think would have a hard time perservereing through the storms of life with their faith in tact. What comes to mind is a brother in Christ who has been affected w/ death and dying in his immediate family this year 4 or 5 times- a daughter, sister, son and now he is being tested for cancer. 6 years ago he didn't know what he belived but was a building caretaker at the building our church met out of. He was the guy who let us in and locked up and remained their to watch us respect the building each Sun. His life was transformed before our eyes as he allowed the Word to permeate his heart. These trial were coming in his life with or with out his faith. But now he and his family (as many followed his lead as he gave his life to Christ and walked the talk) have a community of believers who will be there through it all with them. Moral Standards and faithful obedience are foundational to the stability we need to know our salvation and know our heavenly Father and trust Him alone. with out His standards we make our own and that can be very unstable!

• 1 year later...

I'm going extemporaneous here....I've seen endless examples of churches gone completely wrong all my life. It was for that reason and no other that I quit the Methodist and all other churches for more than 5 years starting when I was about 25. I walked away as a Junior High Sunday School teacher because I could not teach what they wanted me to. This was in the beginning era of the 'UNITED' Methodist Church which has gone down a slippery slope at an ever increasing down angle since.

When I was 30, I found my way back to church and have been involved since. Not Methodist though.

'Churchology' is my favorite pet peeve which gets definate vocal objections where applicable. The parallel between the 'legalism' of the Jewish Church of Christ's time and the churches of today is frightening. The greatest 'abolition' of the old testament in my opinion is the audacity of many in assuming that since the historical Jewish faith has been so 'bad' that 'we the church' under Christ somehow have supplanted the function of the Hebrews. I find that more than alarming and the stuff of 'false prophets'.

Modern legalism within too many churches is simply the humanist rule in place of the clear instructions which came from God. Christ did not destroy - He fulfilled. We are expected to do the same and we are expected, by God, to do the things we have been assigned. That which is morally wrong has become 'right' in some eyes and that which is holy and just has been thrown into the dust to be trampled under by dogs.

As to examples of moral disorder, just look for any church where they sing '*** Bah Yah' a lot and where there is no admonishment concerning sin and personal responsiblity. I cannot imagine anything more absurd than a 'Homosexual' Christian Church unless it would be a 'Heterosexual' Christian Spouse-Swap Church.

• 7 months later...

I don't know if I would say there is a tendency to abolish the Old Testament as there is a tendency to omit it. The concentration seems to be more on the New Testament in many churches today. Especially in what I deem "people seeking or people pleasing" churches, or "mega churches" who water down the gospel and make following Jesus some kind of self improvement program for the successful. This type of church doesn't include a lot of Old Testament teaching.. I believe they are afraid of scarring people away! When taken out of context to the New Testament the Old Testament can seem quite frightening. They must positively be taught together as a whole. They are a whole - GOD is one person both in the New and Old Testament.He is one Triune God. You cannot get to know Him in a personal way if you don't read His word from both Testimonials! God is all in all from the beginning to the end!

Christian legalism is wrought with all type of religious rituals. Legalism in today's churches is following certain religious rituals which concentrate more on the ritual itself than having a personal relationship with God

Since church is the embodiment of Christ, with Christ as the head and the church as the body of Christ, without Christlike standards and morals it cannot be called a church and in my opinion it isn't a church.

* And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all. Ephesians 1 22-23 (KJV)

*And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. Colossians 1:18 (NIV)

* Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.1 Corinthians 12:27 (NIV)

• 1 month later...

Yes, there are those tendencies when some Christians try to ignore totally the Old Testament in the account that, Jesus brought everything new and there is no need to follow the Old Testament.

In a church "Chrisian" legalism looks like the religious observance of the Pharasees.

In a church where there are no moral standardsand no obedience expected of Christians, it looks a confused society full of evil.

• 1 year later...

As a CLM who preaches quite often I need the Old Testament.  Without the OT we do not have the New Testament.  It is our roots.  It tells us who we are.  The book of Revelation refers back to the OT quite frequently.  The visions are described exactly like Daniel and Ezekiel.   Using the OT we find the prophecies.  Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies and He fulfilled the Law.    Christian legalism in the church is God as the head.  We obey the 10 Commandments by obeying the 2 that Jesus gave.  The United Methodist Church has a Basis Order of Worship.  One can enter any UMC in the world and find the order of worship basically the same.  As one who travels in Missions overseas it is comforting in Africa to find the BOW is the same as my church in NC.  We have standards set by the structure of the church.  there are rules and guidelines to follow.  That makes us uniform to all other churches who have basically the same structure or one similar.  Without order or structure the churches would be in chaos.  No rules make bad practices.

• 1 year later...

Most churches I have attended have not tended to "abolish" the Old Testament from the Christian faith, but rather make connections between the Old and New Testaments to bring greater understanding. Christian legalism concentrates on outward appearance and behavior (like clothing, music and alcohol use) rather than heart attitudes.  Where there are no moral standards or obedience in a church, modern ideas of morality (ie. gender issues, environmentalism, good works of service to the poor, etc) are the main focus instead of spreading the Gospel.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see any tendencies in the church to effectively "abolish" the Old Testament from our Christian faith because Jesus came to fulfill the Old Testament prophecies, so we often refer to the OT.

"Christian" legalism looks like people keeping the rules to impress others of their righteousness and the sincerity of serving God is absent.

"Christian" legalism in a church where there are no moral standards and no obedience expected of Christians look like it belongs to Satan.

• 3 months later...

I feel that the church of today does not stress the laws of the Old Testament. The Ten Commandments are not stressed or taught to our youth as they once have been. The readings of the Old Testament has not remained a priority to the church leaders. These words are not part of many sermons these days.

"Christian" leagalism in a church would be something to the effect that you have to give 10% of your salary to the church. and many people feel that this is the end of their responsibility. They do not feel that they need to give of their time or energy to help the church. and then there are those people who really have no income or salary, but they feel that they have nothing to give and they just show up on Sunday to service and that is all. However, there are those individuals who not only give of their money but also of their times and talents. They give the church a lot more than is expected.

A church that does not have moral values is more likely to be a dead church. They live by the worldly values. They let money rule the success of the church. They hold the people and rules hostage with money . All principles and guidelines of the bible are forgotten, There is no heart or sould within the congregation.