JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Worship and Reconciliation without Delay

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended? Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

It is wrong for us to worship God while a brother has something against us or, if we have offended a brother because it shows that we are holding unforgiveness in our heart. Jesus has commanded that if there is a wrong between you and another person, go and be reconciled with that person then you can come and worship Him. If we approach a brother to be reconciled and he refuses then we are to take another believer with us to the brother. If the brother again refuse to be reconciled, then we have done our part and need no longer feel that you are under the curse, but you are free to forgive him and worship God. There are no situation that we should not try to resolve. If it is within our power to do so then it is up to us to make the effort.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended? Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

If we do not forgive our brother, God will not forgive us. We are unfit to have communion with God becaues of the sin in our heart. The appropriate thing to do is go with a humble heart and ask forgiveness. We should go as far as to keep going back until we are reconciled with that person. No, there are no situations in which we should not try to resolve. No, I don't think there are any that can't be resolved.

\\\\\\\\\\

If we are holding on to something someone did or said to us in anger and are withholding our forgiveness, then God cannot forgive us of our sins. I would have to go to the person and ask for forgiveness. To ask for forgiveness is a very humbling experience and once you have asked the person you have angered that person should forgive you. You can not make someone forgive you. That choice is theirs, they will have to answer to God as to why they held onto their angry and withheld forgiveness. When we have done everything we can to be forgiven and are not we should turn the matter over to God and move on knowing that God will intervene.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24)

What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

We cannot worship and have an unforgiving spirit; it breaks our fellowship with our Heavenly Father. We cannot nurse a harsh vindictive attitude towards others. If we know there is sin in our heart which we have not dealt with and confessed; then our worship is useless.

What is the appropriate action for us to take?

We have to make right with that person

• 5 months later...

We should have a pure heart when we worship God. The only way for us to have a pure heart is through the reconciling work of Jesus. In order for that to happen we are supposed to repent and follow Him. To repent is to turn around and follow Jesus, which means forgiveness of anyone who may have wronged us, as well as trying to make right any wrongs we have done to others. God promises to forgive and has forgiven us anything. To fail to do the same for others would be an incredible affront to God.

We should ask for forgiveness from anyone who feels we have wronged them, as well as offering whatever is in our power to offer by way of making amends. We should grant others forgiveness without requiring them to make amends, even when they don't necessarily ask us to.

No.

Of course we may encounter situations where another person may make it difficult or even impossible to have a reconciliation. But that should never happen without the utmost effort on our part to forestall it.

• 1 month later...

(Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

God wants us to be reconciled with all. We are to love others as ourselves. Mark 11:25 echos the same words as the Lord's prayer:

"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

If we stand before God and holding a grudge against others we are like hypocrites. God requires that we attempt to make it right with the one we have something against or the one who has something against us.

We must go to the person and attempt to be reconciled.

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

If he offended us we must forgive that person and go to that person in love. If we our the offender we must apologize and let that person know we are sorry for any offense.

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

Jesus doesn't seem to allow for any situation where we shouldn't try to resolve an issue. However, there are times when situations cannot be resolved. On our part we must be sure that we forgave and tried to resolve the situation. If we were the party that did offence, and the other does not forgive, we must prayer and be sure our heart is right.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

When you have something against someone, or them against you, it closes our hearts to God. God wants us to receive from Him, all His blessings. But if we let our hearts engage in unforgiviness towards someone it's not good for us or for them. God wants us to worship Him in spirit and truth. When we worship God our hearts should be cleared of all selfishness, malice, resentment, anger, we should be in sweet surrender to Him, the One who brought us out of bondage into His glorious freedom. God doesn't want us to have grudges against anyone. It's not His way, or His nature, it's the ways of the world. Not only do you break your union with God, we break the union with one another. God calls for unity, one heart, one mind, one, faith, one God.

If the Holy Spirit is working within you, you will find a way to make the peace or you're just deceiving yourself thinking you are in the truth, but in actuality you are serving your own flesh. In this broken fellowship with God, it will hinder your prayers. We must in everyway as possible allow God's mercy and peace to reign in our hearts.

If we have something against someone, we should pray for the person, or do something to resolve the situation and make a way for peace. In my church we share the peace before communion, that gives everyone a chance to extend forgiveness if there is someone who has offended us or we them, we can be set free again. If they don't want peace or resolution, then at least you did the right thing, your heart won't condemn you and God will answer your prayers. God will not forgive you if you don't forgive others. God wants us to be released from a hard heart and hard hearts don't love or feel for anything anymore.

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?Go the extra mile in resolving the situation.

The other day I found myself a little upset with someone, this was something that had been festering up and finally it came up to the surface. Boom!! My attitude was a little unkind, all the time my heart knew this was wrong, but something inside of me reached the point of no return. It tried to get the best of me. So the Holy Spirit kept convicting my heart, revealing that God requires us to be merciful to others. So I repented with all the strength I had left and prayed to God, to take my pain of anger and to help me forgive this person and myself. Then I asked God to forgive me because I knew dishonored God by choosing not to love. God gave me strength to call this person up 10 minutes later and to apologize. If I didn't apologize, then I would have been festering all day long about that, feeling more guilty, etc., who knows where that would have led, perhaps a little more deeper into the darkness. Brothers and sisters, we are in a spiritual battle field, everyday satan or his demons are trying to steal God's word from our hearts. We must be on our guard and not let unforgiviness rule in our hearts, it gives satan a foothold. We must be truthful to those who do wrong, don't let it fester up in you, if you do, you will first start with bad thoughts, then it will lead to bad words, and then some kind of ugly action will take place. (God help us all to choose to stay in your love,it's so much lovelier.)

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve? Yes, sometimes you will find people who just don't want to forgive or make peace, they want to keep their grudge against you, due to a hardened heart. You can involve others, but when these individuals have made up their minds, it's almost hopeless. Some people just don't understand God's word, or realize the state of their hearts, so we must be patient, and keep praying for them. The bible says to treat them like the pagans. Well, that is what they are acting like, the people in the world. If they don't want to listen, then they will have to take it up with God.

God's peace be with you, Love, Lory

• 3 months later...

Jesus orders us to love eachother.

If we worship but still have a problem with someone, we're not completely sincere.

Therefore, we have to set things right.

We should offer apologies.

No!

Yes, some people you just can't reach because they don't want to see their own faults and always blaim somebody else.

• 5 months later...

If we don't have good relationships here and forgive people here we have a hardren heart towards everything and everybody. If we have a hardren heart God can't deal with us, work though us or help us grow in spirit.

We need to ask for forgiveness and not let the world stand in the way. Most of all repent.

We need to try to work on it until Christ says ok you don't need to work on it any longer. Not everything can be work out.

Yes, usally one is to wrap up in themselves or in the world.

• 1 month later...

Worshipping while we are holding something against someone is like trying to look at a beautriful painting through some dark sunglasses. While you know that the painting (worship) is beautiful, you just dcan't pick out the details. You just wont be able to enjoy the worship or even hear from God as clearly or easily. I have observed this personally as it can happen to my wife. She will occassionally wake up on Sunday mornings, and just be in a funk and then we go to church and she just can't get into the worship time (singing) that she usually loves so much. She also has an incredible struggle when she tries to listen to the message during this time.

• 1 month later...

God expects us to resolve issues, especially with fellow Christians. We need to keep the brotherhood strong for mutual support, and avoid givng the devil a foothold to spli apart Christians. The world is against us, we need a strong brotherhood!

• 2 weeks later...

If we seek to honour God by offering Him our worship whilst we are still in sin, then it makes a mockery of the whole thing and the worship which we bring will not be pleasing to God. Therefore, we need to go back and seek reconciliation and, only having sought reconcilitation and having asked forgiveness, return to our worship. Of course, reconciliation is a 2 way affair, whoever is in the wrong and if our brother or sister refuses to be reconcilied despite our efforts, then provided that we have done everything that we can to effect a reconciliation then, from our point of view, we have offered our reconciliation and it may be impossible to do more (you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink, as the saying goes). God looks at our hearts though and if our attempt to reconcile was genuine and heart felt then that will be in line with what Jesus was teaching here.

This is a situation I have been dealing with for a very long time. Only God has kept me together, and He has helped me a lot. First, it's important for someone who loves God and wants to do His will to go to Him and ask for Him to show him or her if they are at fault. Then, ask God for forgiveness if he or she is at fault. After that, it is important to go to the one or ones and ask for forgiveness. It's also important to realize that not all people are forgiving, even if they proclaim they are Christians. However, God looks at the heart. If your heart is sincerely repentant, God will forgive you even if no one else does. It is okay to worship God then, and He will comfort you. There are no situations we shouldn't try to resolve; however, there are situations we can't resolve, though we who try are not usually to blame. It is important to pray about how to talk to the person about the situation before hand, though.

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

In my experience, when I am in conflict with someone it can be all consuming with my thoughts. I have a hard time seeing the Lord and His goodness. The more it distracts me the less I am able tto be humble and die to self. All of these blocks to worship may be the same for the other person as well. It takes 2 to have conflict and resolve it. My heart should be open to resolution so that I can go to the Lord with out strife toward His child. Since I am a mom I can see how our conflicts must sadden the Lord. When my children bicker and fight it truely breaks my heart and is just not very pleasant. When it's not me in it it's so easy to see how it is almost always rooted in selfish pride. How can we worship Him who paid the ultimate price for us when wrapped up in selfish pride. The only way to be sure is to humbly go to those who we may have conflict with.

I think I covered this.

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

We should go above and beyond yet understand that it takes 2 to resolve.

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

Yes, there are ones we can't resolve and that is hard to take but we can have peace if we know we've done all we can.

• 1 year later...

My first thought here is the Lord's Prayer - '...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'. Also, the 'beam in the eye' is appropriate as well. I would say we cannot worship as long as there is conflict. 'Be reconciled' then come and offer the gift.

Reconcilation should always be done, even if impossible. The person who has offended me or whom I have offended may be dead or location unknown. In such a case the willingness to make the reconciliation at the first opportunity would be sufficient I would think. If the person is deceased then a visit to the grave or a letter writing out our confession is the most we can do. When the person is available, it is only important that we reconcile concerning our part - I cannot force another to accept nor forgive. I can, however, do all that I can to fulfill God's instruction.

There is only one circumstance where not reconciling would be the right thing to do: In a situation where the reconciliation offer would somehow cause further damage - under such circumstances it would be permissible to at least put it off if not forego it entirely. I cannot clean up my side of the street at the expense of another.

• 8 months later...

Worshipping while a brother has something against you is like a mockery to God. It is means there is somehting wrong you did but you just tend to ignore.

The appropriate action for us to take is to ask for forgiveness from God for the wrongs we have done and also to seek reconcilliation with those we wronged.

There is no limit. We should seek reconcilliation continuously. The limit will only be when we are reconciled.

sThere are no situations that we should not try to resolve. We should try to resolve all situations. Yes, there are situation that, resolution depends also on the other person. In such situation, we can't be totally convienced that we will resolve the situation.

• 1 year later...

I feel one cannot worship of partake of Holy Communion while in conflict with friends and neighbors.  If we hold something against another we cannot enter into convenant  with God.  Our hearts hold bitterness and anger.  When we come to him we need to be pure of heart thinking only of Him.  We must go to the one to which we have the conflict and try to make amends.  We can go and be humble to the person and apologize.  There may be one to whom the hurt is too deep, but we must try.  I believe we should always try.  Sometimes nothing will help.  But if you go and earnestly and humbly try the intent was there and that is all one can do. 

• 1 year later...

We are being hypocrites and make our worship of God a mockery if we are unreconciled to a brother.  We need to try to reconcile to the best of our ability, with those who are at odds with us.  We need to forgive those who have offended us.  These actions take a lot of humility on our part.  However, sometimes we are snubbed by the opposite party when they don't wish to reconcile. We need to leave the results to God.

• 4 weeks later...

What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended? Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

God does not receive your worship if you have an ought against your brother.  We have to be reconciled to the brother.  We have to go to him and ask forgiveness, then return to God and worship.  You have to do all you can for reconciliation even if you are not at fault.  If there are any situations that we can't resolve, at least an effort was made to do so.  In that case, we must forgive them.

• 3 months later...

When we worship while we are guilty of something in our brother's eyes, we are actually worshipping with a false and lying heart. We need to be able to approach God with a clean heart. We need to seek forgiveness for the things that we did that were wrong. At times, I do not feel that we can ask another for forgiveness. We might have done something to a person that had hurt us first. We might pur ourselves in a very dangerous situation by asking for forgiveness. we could actually go against a legal order to stay away from a person if we try to get forgiveness. We might actually hurt that person more if we were to go to them.

• 1 month later...

The thing that is wrong about worshipping while a brother has something against you is you can’t really worship. You will be thinking about the thing that is between you and it will always be on our mind. Therefore we can’t worship with our mind and our spirit.

So to reconcile this we must go to our brother and ask for forgiveness. It is up to us to ask for forgiveness and it is up to the brother to accept it. If he doesn’t forgive you for your transgressions and if you truly tried with you heart for forgiveness then there is nothing that you can do about it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We can not fully worship with God if we have un-forgiveness on our heart.

To go and ask for forgiveness.

As long as it takes, to always show love kindness to that person the Lord knows your heart.

I think we should ask for forgiveness in all situations but not all situations will resolved, that we might have to walk away from.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? We should not be worshipping if our heart has unresolved conflict with someone in our family. The recommendation is to resolve matters before coming before God to worship so that our insides are clean as we are on the outside. 

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?  We should make any and all attempts to resolve conflicts by trying first to reconcile the differences. Even if the aggrieved doesn't make an effort to reach back, the reconciliation effort should be made. 

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve? I think there's always room for a resolution but if the effort to end in violence, no of course, the parties should stay socially distant, but amicable.

• 3 months later...

3.1. What's wrong with worshiping while a brother has something against us? (or us against a brother?)

Worship means to honor God. If we try to do this with known sin in our heart, eg. being angry with someone, it is a mockery. In the same way if we know that someone has something against us, we need to get that cleared out of the way because it can easily become the root of bitterness (sin) in our own. If there is sin (which is a blocker) be it either me holding something against someone or someone having done something against me, there is a hindrance in my thinking or action, there is distraction, and I will not be able to come before God. There is a contamination, as it were.

3.2. What is the appropriate action for us to take?

We need to humble ourselves and repent and be reconciled to the person or persons.

3.3 How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

We should humble ourselves and go all the way to bring about reconciliation. In the prayer we know as the LORD'S PRAYER, we say, ... forgive us our trespasses (sins) as we forgive those who sin against us. ... So if we do not forgive, we cannot be forgiven, for we are only forgiven in the same way (measure) as we forgive others (or for that matter, ourselves).

3.4 Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

We should try and seek reconciliation at all time, but should the offender or offended not seek or accept reconciliation from their side, know that from your side you have sought to make things right and have forgiven the other party for their side of the offense and know that God had forgiven you. Accept God's forgiveness and leave it at that. Further than that you can only show love from your side, i.e. let go and let GOD do the rest.

3.1. What's wrong with worshiping while a brother has something against us? (or us against a brother?)

Worship means to honor God. If we try to do this with known sin in our heart, eg. being angry with someone, it is a mockery. In the same way if we know that someone has something against us, we need to get that cleared out of the way because it can easily become the root of bitterness (sin) in our own. If there is sin (which is a blocker) be it either me holding something against someone or someone having done something against me, there is a hindrance in my thinking or action, there is distraction, and I will not be able to come before God. There is a contamination, as it were.

3.2. What is the appropriate action for us to take?

We need to humble ourselves and repent and be reconciled to the person or persons.

3.3 How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

We should humble ourselves and go all the way to bring about reconciliation. In the prayer we know as the LORD'S PRAYER, we say, ... forgive us our trespasses (sins) as we forgive those who sin against us. ... So if we do not forgive, we cannot be forgiven, for we are only forgiven in the same way (measure) as we forgive others (or for that matter, ourselves).

3.4 Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

We should try and seek reconciliation at all time, but should the offender or offended not seek or accept reconciliation from their side, know that from your side you have sought to make things right and have forgiven the other party for their side of the offense and know that God had forgiven you. Accept God's forgiveness and leave it at that. Further than that you can only show love from your side, i.e. let go and let GOD do the rest.